Cruise, Bermuda, Swimming, ebikes, walking ...?

pmcdunnough

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise on May 11. It is to Bermuda where I spent 2 weeks forty years ago at Christmas. At that time I had rented a moped and just randomly went around. I imagine times have changed so ...

Are ebikes safe to ride in Bermuda now? Am interested in a relaxing time and seeing some nice beaches. My wife is especially interested in walking.

Is it warm enough to swim in May in Bermuda? What about on the cruise ship?

Am confused about what to do once the ship docks. Would like to be a little free but I guess there are constraints in getting back to eat and sleep on the ship ... Where would the ebikes be parked?

Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do once in Bermuda. Don't want to run around like crazy but don't want to hang around the ship.

The cruise ship is the Celebrity Summit... any ideas regarding dress codes or whatever ... Can one be fairly informal? What about motion sickness?

Sorry for the rambling but am at a loss regarding this trip the closer it gets. Suggestions much appreciated.

Philip

I suggest you read this thread, which gives you loots of information on renting motorbikes: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1883095 .

Traffic conditions in Bermuda are far different than what they were years ago. The bikes are underpowered, roads are far more crowded than they were, the traffic moves more quickly, and motorists seem to have all the patience and courtesy of NY City taxi drivers. In some cases this has discouraged even experienced riders from renting a motorbike.

Whether it's warm enough to swim is largely a matter of your own preference. I think it is, but I'm from NY and NJ and the water is never very warm here even in the height of summer. But if you're expecting Caribbean-like water temperatures, you'll probably think it's too cold to swim in Bermuda in May...at least until late May.

If you just do a little reading on this board there's lots of information on things to do and see while in Bermuda. We've been regular visitors there for more than 25 years, and we're never bored. You'll find more than enough to do to fill your 3 days .

Try not to feel compelled to return to the ship for all your meals...particularly lunch. Try a couple of the local casual restaurants like the Hog Penny in Hamilton, the White Horse Pub in St. George's, or one of the two locations of the Swizzle Inn (and there are many more). Food isn't cheap in Bermuda, but it's worth spending a few $$ to get a taste of the local flavors.

As far as the specifics for the Summit...dress codes, etc., you should read/ask on the Celebrity board about cruise line-specific information.

Thank you for the link to the motorbike thread. Sounds like it might be the bus for us. Am used to ebikes and years ago a moped but a scooter with two is not in my comfort zone. When I went 40 years ago it was just great using a moped and none of the issues I read in the thread were really there.

Am from Canada so cold water is fine. Anything above 68 will do! Actually prefer water in the 70's but am flexible.

Thanks...will keep reading.

Philip

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise on May 11. ....

Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do once in Bermuda. Don't want to run around like crazy but don't want to hang around the ship.

The cruise ship is the Celebrity Summit... any ideas regarding dress codes or whatever ... Can one be fairly informal? What about motion sickness?

Sorry for the rambling but am at a loss regarding this trip the closer it gets. Suggestions much appreciated.

Philip

Print out the 'to do/see' list located here, hi-lite what interests you, and research them.

Also, there is a printable Bermuda map here which has bus and ferry routes, and the locations of many of the attractions identified.

SBtS

Water temp mid May should be around 76f.

Also being from Montreal, I found the water to be almost "inviting" late May 3 years ago at 76f-78f....

Motion sickness...if afraid of having it, see your doctor and get a prescription for patches behind the ear. Sea state can be smooth as glass or rough...it's anyone's guess

3 days in port...plenty of thread about that here :)

Water temp mid May should be around 76f.

Also being from Montreal, I found the water to be almost "inviting" late May 3 years ago at 76f-78f....

Motion sickness...if afraid of having it, see your doctor and get a prescription for patches behind the ear. Sea state can be smooth as glass or rough...it's anyone's guess

3 days in port...plenty of thread about that here :)

75f is perfect. Geez we live in the Beaches in Toronto and routinely swim in 65+ watering Lake Ontario. Keep our pool at around 78 and it feels hot! Above 80 and I find too warm. Our children and grandkids of course want it as hot as possible.

Got the patches but didn't need a prescription in Ontario. I guess it varies depending on your location.

Thanks for the link. Didn't realize there were so many things to do ...

Philip

I will be on the same sailing as you and have sailed the Summit to Bermuda multiple times. As to dress code for dinner long pants are expected and no T shirts but a polo or casual button down is fine. On formal nights men are expected to wear jackets in the main dining room but if this is not your thing you can have dinner in the buffet or at the creperie, where there is a $5 up charge .There are also several more expensive specialty restaurants-not sure of the dress code.

We will spend at least one of the formal nights in the crepe place (I cannot believe I am blanking on the name).

Regarding swimming, I always go in the water in Bermuda in May. I believe the water temperature is currently 71 degrees.

Ruth

Thank you Ruth. Jackets are fine. Was just wondering if suits and dress shoes were expected. Also, in wandering from our room to the pool does the ship provide robes or whatever?

71 is more than ok ...

Thanks ... might see you in the creperie!

Philip

Thank you Ruth. Jackets are fine. Was just wondering if suits and dress shoes were expected. Also, in wandering from our room to the pool does the ship provide robes or whatever?

71 is more than ok ...

Thanks ... might see you in the creperie!

Philip

Yes, there will be robes provided and although there are no rules against it, most people do not wear robes when going to the pool. Women usually wear some type of coverup and men, just a tee shirt with their swim trunks. There are even those on Cruise Critic who are very vocal about wearing robes anywhere but in your cabin.:D

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise on May 11. It is to Bermuda where I spent 2 weeks forty years ago at Christmas. At that time I had rented a moped and just randomly went around. I imagine times have changed so ...

Are ebikes safe to ride in Bermuda now? Am interested in a relaxing time and seeing some nice beaches. My wife is especially interested in walking.

Am confused about what to do once the ship docks. Would like to be a little free but I guess there are constraints in getting back to eat and sleep on the ship ... Where would the ebikes be parked?

Philip

Hi Phillip,

I'm on the June 1st sailing of Summit, but I have to admit, I've totally been creeping on your sailing's roll call :p. If you're not familiar with the roll call, it's a space for people on your sailing to get acquainted and ask questions. It's a fantastic tool for the Celebrity specific questions. Just go to the drop down tab "Community" and then "Roll Calls" and then find your ship and sail date. They May 11th group has been very helpful to me in my own planning. They've posted tons on things to do in Bermuda and lots on scooters.

Enjoy! :)

Just wanted to hop in and say that we're on that sailing too, and you're right - the roll call for our cruise is amazing! I can't wait to get on board and meet them all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Phillip,

I'm on the June 1st sailing of Summit, but I have to admit, I've totally been creeping on your sailing's roll call :p. If you're not familiar with the roll call, it's a space for people on your sailing to get acquainted and ask questions. It's a fantastic tool for the Celebrity specific questions. Just go to the drop down tab "Community" and then "Roll Calls" and then find your ship and sail date. They May 11th group has been very helpful to me in my own planning. They've posted tons on things to do in Bermuda and lots on scooters.

Enjoy! :)

Hi,

Thanks. Don't know how I missed it. I think the cruise trip has rendered me inept... seem to have lost it given the worries over motion sickness, scooter traffic, dress codes, etc ... Once we actually get on the ship I'm sure I'll recover, I hope :)

Philip

Philip

I found this quite excellent thread about renting scooters in Bermuda. a good place to start for at least that part of your question.

It is in the Ports of Call, Bermuda -- thread is called Big Mike's Guide -- Should you rent a scooter in Bermuda.

Good Luck and have fun!

Edited by middvillmom