Document dilemma

nursepixie

So this is my first and probably last cruise, because my DH refuses to fly and won't drive from Colorado to cruise. I had originally decided that I would just take my DL and BC. Then I was worried because I'm married so they won't match obviously so I decided I was going to get a passport card to be safe. Now Im second guessing myself again because I really don't want to waste that money for one vacation. I don't have my actual marriage license, but I have my verification of marriage that I ordered thru the vital statistics office. Will that work? Will I even need it? My booking matches my DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My best guess is most married women who cruise don't have matching bc & dl because of marriage, including myself. I've never seen or heard of someones name even being questioned. . . Good luck and don't give up on cruising before you even get started!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Don't leave your spouse for good. Just leave him when you wanna take a cruise. Either he would get with the program and compromise or get left behind.

Your BC and DL will do if you don't want to invest in a passport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My best guess is most married women who cruise don't have matching bc & dl because of marriage, including myself. I've never seen or heard of someones name even being questioned. . . Good luck and don't give up on cruising before you even get started!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This is what I had guessed, but I wanted to get some experience based opinions :). Thanks!!

Don't leave your spouse for good. Just leave him when you wanna take a cruise. Either he would get with the program and compromise or get left behind.

Your BC and DL will do if you don't want to invest in a passport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks. He's pretty upset that I didn't cancel it and plan something else for us to do together, so I don't see him supporting me going without him again. I told him we could drive to Galveston....it's only a little over 1000 miles! :)

Yes bring the marriage certificate (as long as the one you ordered is a legal document.). It is a "bridging" document which ties the names on your BC and DL together.

It doesn't matter if 99% of women are not asked for it. What matters is if you are asked for it when you check in at the port. They could refuse to allow you to board and you would lose the cost of the cruise! By the way, not having the correct documentation is not covered by trip insurance!

D4 has it correctly. Travelling on a BC/DL combination is a waiver from normal international travel requirements allowed by CBP, but all bridge documentation showing the progression of name changes (marriages, divorces, adoptions, etc) can be requested. And while 99% will never be looked at, I would hate to be the 1% who is denied boarding, or who misses their return flight because of a delay in disembarking.

Yes bring the marriage certificate (as long as the one you ordered is a legal document.). It is a "bridging" document which ties the names on your BC and DL together.

It doesn't matter if 99% of women are not asked for it. What matters is if you are asked for it when you check in at the port. They could refuse to allow you to board and you would lose the cost of the cruise! By the way, not having the correct documentation is not covered by trip insurance!

Oh yeah, I definitely plan to take it. I just wanted to make sure that the verification of marriage is just as good as the marriage license. Thanks :)

If he won't drive, and he won't fly, you choices of a vacation is very limited! I know many people who will go on a vacation w/o a spouse for this very same reason. Getting a passport is never a waste of money, but if you don't, than a DL, BC and your marriage record is ok.

Hubby needs to man up about flying. What's he going to do if/when you have grandkids or other relatives that are too far away to drive to visit?

(If it's a true phobia, it can be treated.)

His best friend was killed in a plane crash and he has a major fear of heights. He also suffers from PTSD from the loss of our firstborn child, so flying is the least of his concern. We would probably drive to visit family just like we should have driven to Galveston to cruise (I'm cruising out of Miami).....only a cruise isn't as important as family, so he'd definitely do that :). Maybe someday we will still drive to Galveston for a cruise. :)

We are going to Alaska in June. My hubby has not flown since 911. I once went for 12 days to Walt Disney World and he vowed he would never stay home again. I will have to get him some anti anxiety medication but he has decided he won't stay home again. Have you checked to see if there is a train you can take. It will take time but it would be part of the adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

His best friend was killed in a plane crash

That is unfortunate, I'm sure the loss of his friend hurt him deeply. I've lost close friends to car and motorcycle accidents, so I have a sense of the feeling.

I've never heard of a Verification of Marriage certificate so I don't know if it's just as good as an actual marriage certificate. I would check with your local vital statistics to see if it's the same as a marriage certificate. If not I would order an actual marriage certificate just to be safe.

Last time I cruised I couldn't find my passport and I just used my DL and BC I know I brought my marriage certificate but I don't recall if they asked for it.

Edited by dcgrumpy

I've never heard of a Verification of Marriage certificate so I don't know if it's just as good as an actual marriage certificate. I would check with your local vital statistics to see if it's the same as a marriage certificate. If not I would order an actual marriage certificate just to be safe.

Last time I cruised I couldn't find my passport and I just used my DL and BC I know I brought my marriage certificate but I don't recall if they asked for it.

We've only been asked once if we had it but they didn't want to see it (and the check in lady actually said that a negative answer on our part wouldn't change anything).

We are going to Alaska in June. My hubby has not flown since 911. I once went for 12 days to Walt Disney World and he vowed he would never stay home again. I will have to get him some anti anxiety medication but he has decided he won't stay home again. Have you checked to see if there is a train you can take. It will take time but it would be part of the adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have checked and it would cost more than the cruise :/. And that's just for a seat in coach. I'm gonna keep working on him to drive for the next one :)

The verification of marriage is what I got when I ordered the marriage certificate, so it's gotta work. I will check with carnival to be sure. :)

The verification of marriage is what I got when I ordered the marriage certificate, so it's gotta work. I will check with carnival to be sure. :)

If it was issued by a government entity then it sounds like it should be sufficient, no matter what it's called.

I have checked and it would cost more than the cruise :/. And that's just for a seat in coach. .....

Train fare is dynamic. Just like airfares and cruise fares.

If booked far enough out it can be quite reasonable.

The Denver station is very pretty.

Hubby needs to man up about flying. What's he going to do if/when you have grandkids or other relatives that are too far away to drive to visit?

(If it's a true phobia, it can be treated.)

Your statement is very rude! Some people have phobias they cannot help and do the very best they can to function in their every day lives. Whether or not they can fly is just not a high priority for them!!!

I have flown twice and it stressed me out so badly (even with meds) that unless there is a dire emergency I will NEVER choose to fly again. Fortunately we live close to several ports and can easily drive for our cruise fixes.

I truly hope you never have a "true phobia" because until you do, you have NO idea what you are talking about!!!

Train fare is dynamic. Just like airfares and cruise fares.

If booked far enough out it can be quite reasonable.

The Denver station is very pretty.

I was looking nearly a year out. Also wasn't able to take that much time off of work.

Yes, the Denver station is awesome! I don't live far from there :)

Your statement is very rude!

OP stated that hubby "refuses to fly", that he was "pretty upset" that she didn't cancel her cruise, and that he likely wouldn't support her going on a cruise again.

Think what you want, but I can respond only to what's written. I'm not going to ponder every permutation or asterisk and parenthesize every possible interpretation of a situation. I'll call it at face value. Maybe the shoe fits, maybe it doesn't, we're all adults here and can figure out if something applies or not.