Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

I'm bringing three pairs of shoes on my Christmas Market river cruise - Haglofs goretex walking shoes (black), black privo mary janes, and black knee length (but soft) Keen boots. All are comfortable for walking miles. The goretex ones are warm & waterproof. The boots are mostly water resistant (plus I spray them with silicone spray for extra protection) and though they aren't lined like my brown Keen boots, I've done fine in cold & wet weather. The mary janes will be mostly for on the boat, but also nice if we have unexpectedly warm days anywhere.

I'm bringing three pairs of shoes on my Christmas Market river cruise - Haglofs goretex walking shoes (black), black privo mary janes, and black knee length (but soft) Keen boots. All are comfortable for walking miles. The goretex ones are warm & waterproof. The boots are mostly water resistant (plus I spray them with silicone spray for extra protection) and though they aren't lined like my brown Keen boots, I've done fine in cold & wet weather. The mary janes will be mostly for on the boat, but also nice if we have unexpectedly warm days anywhere.

No shoes for evenings?

I am packing now for our quickly approaching trip. My shoes choices are Naot Chi leather ankle boots, Merrell Luxe Flap clogs/slides in black suede, and Ecco walking shoes in leather and suede in dark pewter color and with non bulky athletic styling, also good for the gym and running around the boat. For evenings, I am packing my black patent croco La Canadienne booties with 3 inch heels. All are either waterproof or have been treated to be.

I wear my sports sandals whenever possible, Tevas. I've just bought a new pair of New Balance walking shoes, my second pair, that I wear when I just can't wear sandals--I'm hoping they will be good for touring cobblestoned streets. I love New Balance because they come in wider widths, and my feet are shaped kind of like a duck's. Keen's are good for having a nice big toe box, but I have just tried one pair and they didn't have the support I needed. In the past, I had a number of pairs of Ecco shoes as well.

Oh, Wendy, you make me :D! I had reconstructive foot surgery last year, so I am on the "duck" side of things too! I did a Med cruise wearing black patent Ecco mary janes and they held up well. I also love Teva sandals.

The Keens are comfortable, but that giant toe cap while protective :) is a little ugly, right :(, however, I have these Keens in the shopping cart at 6pm.com, http://www.6pm.com/keen-mercer-ballerina-cnx-black

These only weigh 8 oz, but what do you think of suede in summer?

My other choice is http://www.6pm.com/keen-rivington-mj-cnx-brindle?zlfid=192&ref=pd_sims_p_1

I have also read great reviews of the Privo, and I have a pair of Naots that I really love. Have you ever seen Arcopedico shoes? Now, girls, this one is incredible! And I mean, the best comfort shoe you will ever put on, I have the L18, and weighing in at 5 oz & vegan to boot, this will probably be my airplane shoe. Has a stretchy fabric upper, so if you have bunions/hammertoes, this is the one for you. Sexy, right? LOL ;) See it here

http://www.zappos.com/arcopedico-l18-black

And my very last dressy comfort shoe is the Helle Comforts! These heels are the bomb. Surprisingly, they also look fairly decent, these are for summer, but I have the Bono in a black that work year round, Only 7 oz. & pack so easily. :)

http://www.zappos.com/helle-comfort-bona-natural-cork

And Hoyaheel, I can't wait to hear about the Christmas Market cruise, that trip is on my list for next year. Yes, boots for sure. I'm going to take a look at those Haglofs!

My husband and I both got new goretex shoes this year and we both opted for Haglofs - when Sierra Trading Post had a 40% off coupon, so great prices. We both have the Observe - mine has red highlights and his is lime green http://www.sierratradingpost.com/haglofs-observe-gore-tex-trail-shoes-waterproof-for-women~p~5570n/?filterString=s~haglofs%2F&colorFamily=02

Husband has a couple other pairs of goretex shoes - he'll bring his low Asolos and, depending on the weather forecast, possible his higher (hiking boot height) Merrells. I have another pair of goretex hiking shoes but they're very athletic looking so I don't tend to do city travel in them....(just my personal preference - I don't think they look cute with my outfits:rolleyes:)

I have this Keen waterproof & insulated boot- the Silverton - and LOVE it but it's brown and I tend to pack a black-based capsule wardrobe, so I don't travel with them often. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/keen-silverton-leather-boots-waterproof-leather-for-women~p~4886u/?filterString=s~keen%2Fshoes~d~4%2Fwomens-footwear~d~19%2Fwomens-boots~d~255%2F&colorFamily=02

There are tons of good shoe & boot options available for all feet these days, thank goodness! Keens are short on me so I always size up a half size and I can't wear the sandals - just the boots. Clarks are too narrow for me but Privo (same company) fit. The old Merrells fit great but the new last (about 4-5 years ago?) doesn't work for me now. And I'm about 50% for New Balance working or not....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I have this Keen waterproof & insulated boot- the Silverton - and LOVE it but it's brown and I tend to pack a black-based capsule wardrobe, so I don't travel with them often. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/keen-silverton-leather-boots-waterproof-leather-for-women~p~4886u/?filterString=s~keen%2Fshoes~d~4%2Fwomens-footwear~d~19%2Fwomens-boots~d~255%2F&colorFamily=02

I am seriously wanting those Keen Silverton boots! Love them. :) But, I'm with you...I will travel with a black color coordinated wardrobe. It's a bigger challenge to pack for winter travel for sure. Do you check a bag?

Whether or not I check a bag depends on the specifics of the trip. For our river cruise, I am checking a small bag because I cannot use a large carryon bag (intra-Europe flights). My plan for luggage right now is checking a 22" rolling bag, carrying on a 19" rolling bag and a crossbody purse (the pacsafe metro 200 - I like it for travel not because of the metal cording but because of the size and comfort - I can carry a shopping bag, water bottle & camera inside with space for whatever else. I'll have a nylon lesportsac duffel packed in case I buy souvenirs and need extra space on the return trip.

I wore the Keen Silverton on a November trip to Amsterdam a few years ago and they were amazing, perfect - since we had freakishly cold weather with snow and sleet every day!

Crewsgirl, I like both of those Keen ballets, probably more the Rivington, but it would be interesting to see them on a foot.

I also love the look of those black Haglofs!

Here are my New Balance. I told the girl in the store that they looked like "old lady shoes", and then do, but so far are very comfortable:

http://www.newbalance.com/women/sports-%26-activities/walking/ (the 928's--sorry, the link won't come up directly.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The Keen KJ is the boot I will be taking next month - pull on (no zipper) and very lightweight (& "floppy") leather. Packs nicely - I don't even have to wear them on the plane:D

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/keen-kj-leather-boots-for-women~p~4886x/?colorFamily=01

I have the Keen Mercer marjyane and I forgot to buy up a half size (none of the reviews mentioned the size on that shoe...) I got a great deal, but I think I'm going to have to give the shoes away - can barely wear it. 2109813-3-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Crewsgirl, I like both of those Keen ballets, probably more the Rivington, but it would be interesting to see them on a foot.

I also love the look of those black Haglofs!

Here are my New Balance. I told the girl in the store that they looked like "old lady shoes", and then do, but so far are very comfortable:

http://www.newbalance.com/women/sports-%26-activities/walking/ (the 928's--sorry, the link won't come up directly.)

This made me smile :D :p :) because I am the Queen :eek: of Old Lady Shoes!

Hey Hoya, I am loving those Keen Mercers. What size are they? I tried on Keen and found the 8.5 the best. Did you get those at Sierra Trading Post? The toe cap is not so ginormous and I like those.b:)

Mine are a 9 but I should have ordered 9.5 since that's what I wear in the boots and it fits well - but I wear socks with the boots. I thought without socks a 9 would be ok. Nope.:rolleyes: I thought I got them at STP but when I looked through my orders yesterday (for a photo of the boots I have) I didn't see the shoe. So I'm not sure.....

Okay, ladies, I am obsessing over the travel shoes & I got a deal flyer and ordered these:

http://i.stpost.com/romika-gina-32-mary-jane-shoes-for-women-in-black~p~7470x_01~1500.2.jpg

?colorFamily=01

Have you ever heard/worn Romika? Yea, me neither, I have no idea what possessed me....but I am hoping these German models are going to be great.

Then, I ordered these:

http://i.stpost.com/naot-totki-mary-jane-shoes-for-women-in-jet-black-shadow~p~7971w_01~1500.2.jpg

?colorFamily=01

but at least I know the Naot will fit and feel great. :D

Okay, ladies, I am obsessing over the travel shoes & I got a deal flyer and ordered these:

http://i.stpost.com/romika-gina-32-mary-jane-shoes-for-women-in-black~p~7470x_01~1500.2.jpg

?colorFamily=01

Have you ever heard/worn Romika? Yea, me neither, I have no idea what possessed me....but I am hoping these German models are going to be great.

Then, I ordered these:

http://i.stpost.com/naot-totki-mary-jane-shoes-for-women-in-jet-black-shadow~p~7971w_01~1500.2.jpg

?colorFamily=01

but at least I know the Naot will fit and feel great. :D

Romika run wide for me but IMO are excellent quality. I have purchased a few pairs for my mom and she loves them! I see them all over Germany.

Naot, Ecco, Geox all work for me, in their styles that run narrow. I live in Florida so much of my footwear is for warm temps. I love Naot Treasure, Aphrodite and my Kumara lace ups are great for closed shoes. I bought a pair of Naot Chi boots for this coming trip (4 days and still working on fine tuning my packing) and they are fab! Super comfy right out of the box and great arch support which I really appreciate.

Edited by caviargal

Romika run wide for me but IMO are excellent quality. I have purchased a few pairs for my mom and she loves them! I see them all over Germany.

Naot, Ecco, Geox all work for me, in their styles that run narrow. I live in Florida so much of my footwear is for warm temps. I love Naot Treasure, Aphrodite and my Kumara lace ups are great for closed shoes. I bought a pair of Naot Chi boots for this coming trip (4 days and still working on fine tuning my packing) and they are fab! Super comfy right out of the box and great arch support which I really appreciate.

Good to know, caviargal, wide will be helpful for me. I love Naot too, I have the Kirei, but those Chi boots are really cute. Hope you have a fabulous trip!

Did a quick "test pack" tonight as I had a bin of items sitting in the spare bedroom. I put 90% of our items in one suitcase - my 24" weighed 28 pounds and it was stuffed to the brim. His 24" weighed 23 pounds. It's amazing how much stuff you can take and still pack "light." This year feels soooooo much better than lugging around that 29" 50-pound-plus suitcase last year in Ireland!!

I'm going to slim some things down, move things to backpacks and we will probably both end-up around 20-25 pounds each - easy to roll (spinners), no back or arm strain, and it feels good to know we have the essentials and then some but we aren't taking the entire closet!!

So glad I found this thread... it's my little reminder that less is more.

Did a quick "test pack" tonight as I had a bin of items sitting in the spare bedroom. I put 90% of our items in one suitcase - my 24" weighed 28 pounds and it was stuffed to the brim. His 24" weighed 23 pounds. It's amazing how much stuff you can take and still pack "light." This year feels soooooo much better than lugging around that 29" 50-pound-plus suitcase last year in Ireland!!

I'm going to slim some things down, move things to backpacks and we will probably both end-up around 20-25 pounds each - easy to roll (spinners), no back or arm strain, and it feels good to know we have the essentials and then some but we aren't taking the entire closet!!

So glad I found this thread... it's my little reminder that less is more.

Whoa, CupKayke! 28 lbs is great! :p I am impressed that you were able to whittle down to that amount and be efficient! Thanks for the inspiration! And, the real benefit is that you will have a great trip and not be bogged down by too much stuff. Are you using compression travel bags?!

As for me, I was so disappointed in the Romika shoes, :(, while nicely consturcted, I did not like the sole) then, I was disappointed in the Naot shoes also! (my DH thought the little flower was ridiculous) :(:(. Clearly, I am still on the "look" for the right walking shoes.

On a positive note, after looking at the weather history in Amsterdam, I have decided my DH will need waterproof shoes, and I ordered these Clarks for him:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/clarks-feldars-lo-shoes-leather-for-men~p~7058f/?colorFamily=01

And the good news.....these are quality shoes that fit very well, AND are waterproof and don't look like "hiker-man"! LOL! So, he is set.

• 6 months later...
Oh my, I just found a reversible dress at TravelSmith.com! Could it be possible....1 garment for 2 evenings? What is your thought on this?

Yes or No Way?

http://www.travelsmith.com/voyager-knit-cap-sleeved-reversible-dress/517030

I have one of those dresses and while reversible, they are very HEAVY. Yo could pack two regular dresses for less weight.

How were your "lightweight" trips? It seems no one posted how the trip with only a carryon went. I'm curious.

Got back May 9, 2015 from a Viking Rhine cruise Basel to Trier...8 days then a week in Paris...two for end of cruise and 5 days on our own....we did it with just a 21 inch carry on each!

The week bEFORE we went it was unseasonably warm in Paris and of course the week we went, it rained...every day...for some of the day. It was warm though.

Here is what we packed:

Me--2 pair nice capris (taupe, black)

1 pair black pants more like leggings with a tuxedo waist band so fancy

1 pair beige slacks

1 pair very casual beige drawstring slacks

1 Kate Spade nice mixed colors skirt (didn't need to but it was new :)

1 beige light weight skirt

3 long sleeved blouses/tops in bright colors

3 short sleeved blouses/tops in bright colors

3 sleeveless tops (didn't wear as it wasn't hot)

2 light weight sweaters dressy enough to look good for dinner

1 light weight short jacket (could be dressy or casual)

1 light raincoat with pockets and hood

1 very small collapsible umbrella

1 pair Ecko sandals with sturdy treads with velcro straps

1 pair Geox beige comfy walking shoes

1 pair black patent dressy shoes with kitten heels (I wore these every nite for dinner on ship as they dressed up whatever I wore..skirt, black leggings, black capris)

2 pair light weight socks

5 undies, 1 cami, 2 bras

3 scarfs and lots of costume jewellry

100 ml of liquid laundry soup

the usual small ziplock of toothpaste, deodorant, eyeliner, pills and first aid meds. NO shampoo or conditioner as it is provided by ship and hotels.

Hubby packed his own suitcase so I cant swear to what he had but no sport coat needed for dinners on the river cruise so that helps. Our friend's hubby wore his sport coat on the plane so he had the option to wear it should he choose. But I know hubby had

--two pair of those cargo slacks with zippered legs so he could have pants or shorts with a zip zip.

--two pair dress slacks

-- five slinky drip dry golf shirts so they were easy to rinse out and hang to dry when needed.

--Fleece zippered coat plus raincoat,

--one long sleeved dress shirt and one tie

We flew Air France which in addition to limiting carry on WEIGHT and SIZE now weighs the COMBINED weight of carry on AND personal item and together they cannot be more than 12 kg or 26.4 lbs.

This was a challenge given i usually stick my 'heavy' things into my large purse. Flying TO Paris was ok as I just held my netbook under my pocket book as it was 'reading material' I rationalized.

But flying FROM Paris, we ran into very strict 'luggage police' who wrestled my netbook out of my hands and precariously balanced it on top on my suitcase and purse! I came in at 14 kgs as I knew I would.

Hubby came in at 12 kg so the staff conferred with each other, scribbling 12 + 14 on a piece of scrap paper to add them together and had trouble...I didn't offer to help! Finally after a flurry of french and hand gestures to each other they yelled at me 'ALLEZ! ALLEZ!' so we meekly said 'merci' and slinked away. I guess if push had come to shove, I would have layered on some more clothes!

Shoes is the biggest weight hogger so choose wisely. I did not 'need' my dressy shoes nor did I 'need' my new skirt so I could have chosen smarter and had my final weigh in at home been too much, they would have stayed home.

As long as you can wash out in the sink and roll up things in a towel then hang to dry, you don't need a ton of clothes. There is NO coin laundry on the Viking long ships...and it is VERY expensive to have them do it for you. Also VERY few self serve laundromats in Paris )

Remember you are on holidays and likely will never see these people again so they won't care if you wear the same outfit twice! The trick is to bring things you can layer and a light coat to cover up against rain or wind. For ladies, accessorize with scarves and costume jewellry.

It can be done with carry on only and it is liberating.