Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

I travel with a 22-inch carryon and a light backpack. I try not to pack the 22-inch carryon tight and I do not open its expansion gusset. I also pack an empty medium size nylon duffle bag. The duffle fits very well folded flat in one of the outside pockets of the carryon.

The trick is to check the carryon on the return flight and use the duffle bag as my new carryon. On the way back, I fill up the carryon and open the expansion gusset if necessary. Overflow items, if any, go in the duffle bag. Of course, valuables, expensive purchases and medicine go in the duffle or in my lightweight backpack. The checked bag has all my dirty laundry, inexpensive souvenirs (t-shirts, etc) and toiletries I will not need.

Really good suggestion and I have also done that. Unfortunately, it won't work for me when we use a foreign airline with carry on weight restrictions.

Crewgirl, you are fortunate to be flying on Delta. Currently, they don't seem to be limiting carry ons by weight or making you use the sizer? I am guessing you are an airline employee? You will most likely be OK with Delta. We fly stand by on Delta and have never had a problem with carry ons. To me the best part about carrying on only is the freedom to get on any flight that will get you to your destination without worrying about checked luggage.

Delta partners with KLM for transantlantic flights it seems, and their wt restrictions are 26 lbs. AND it looks like they count your carryon WITH your personal item. :eek:

I think you must abide by the carrier's rules, I am concerned, but haven't booked tickets yet.

And, no, not an airline employee, but I have spent a lot of time traveling for business and I really want to be efficient on this trip because Amsterdam boutique hotels/ B&Bs are on my bucket list! :)

Can't wait to do the Rhine and our first river cruise! Which ship are you taking?

Those of you packing in a carryon are my heroes! I have trouble getting it all into one large suitcase and a carryon, lol!

Although, I am reading this with interest for our upcoming river cruise. Knowing there will be no need for dressy clothes and it is summer has me thinking I might just be able to downsize a bit - but never just in the carryon. :eek:

I love the ideas for the travel clothing, keep them coming. I think that reversible dress is calling me.

I rarely buy bulky souvenirs - the grocery stores/markets are my favorite places to shop for things to bring home. But I'll usually bring a lightweight duffel just in case (I have a couple lesportsac models). As others have said - dirty clothing goes in the duffel, souvenirs - esp breakable - go in a more structured rolling bag. What gets checked vs carry-on depends on what the souvenirs are. My husband is an avid home brewer so we're usually bringing home at least one bottle of beer, which obviously must be in the checked luggage. On international flights, I could check 2 bags and just have my backpack with me carry-on (for the return at least).

I WISH we packed lightly. I just don't get it. We pack a "drugstore" for just in case and pretty much always use something. Then we have our vitamins, prescriptions, iPad, chargers for phones and it goes on and on. How can you pack clothes and the incidentals in a small carryon? Then the return trip with the souvenirs for you and family???

Edited by jiminyC_fan

We bring back very few gifts/souvenirs when we travel.

I love shopping in the apothecary stores in Europe and it is quite easy to pick up any items we may need that are not included in our packing. My husband is an awesome packer and between the two of us, we pack our essentials in our carry ons with no problem. We are able to share some personal items and have travel sizes of everything else. I use contact lens cases for my make up and moisturizers and use Go Tubes for other lotions.

We cruise with AMA and the toiletries they provide are top notch and plentiful so there is no need to pack the basics.

It is very easy to overpack and once you have traveled with a carry on, you realize just how much you don't need.

Just finished my packing for my 2 week trip to Amsterdam, 7 day Viking Rhine Cruise and 4 days on Lake Geneva.

This is the first time I have ever been able to get everything into a 20 inch suitcase and a 18" rolling tote. Neither of us wanted to have to schlep a back pack, when we have these great rolling totes.

Over the years, we have downsized from 30" to 26" to 24" to 20" for each of us.

The weather is forecast to range from high 40's to low 70's, causing a bit of a challenge.

Bringing 2 pair of dress slacks, 3 pair of jeans for daytime,1 pair of black knit pants (plane), 6 shirts for day time (long and short sleeve) 1 cardigan that goes with everything. 3 cashmere lightweight crew neck sweaters for dinner in the evening, 1 very light quilted thin short jacket/blazer(plane) one lacey sweater set for Captain's dinner, etc and for a high end dinner or two on Lake Geneva, one pair of sneakers for castle climbing, one pair of travel walking shoes(plane), and one pair of ballet type flats for dinner.

Stuck to navy, black, with a touch of coral and white.

And, of course, raincoat and umbrella. Add two nightgowns (one warm for those 40 degree evenings, undergarments, sox (packed in the shoes),

a few scarves, a few pieces of my favorite costume jewelry, and some of my personal care items. (Anyone with hair issues knows the ship and hotel shampoos and conditioner just won't cut it.) Oh, and a ziploc full of prescription meds in their original bottles, one for each of us. Also a pretty large Ziploc full of over the counter" what if "meds. We always get a script from our doc for Cipro, and the usual cold, stomach, etc meds. We learned the hard way the cold meds in Europe really made us sicker This is non-negotiable. Also a small clothes line, a rubber piece that fits in the sink and Woolite, and a few dry cleaner type small clothes pins for laundry.

Add ship papers, airline and hotel confirmations, a few maps, some brochures for Switzerland, a kindle, chargers, travel wallet, a small cross body purse for sightseeing, (the big one goes on the plane with me of course).

We are splitting up our clothes between our two cases and checking them in and am putting a pair of my jeans, some undergarments and one of my shirts in my carry-on in case of a possible luggage problem.

It was a challenge, but am proud that I did it!.

A few years ago I never would have believed I could do it!!:cool:

6 days to go!!!

Robin

Edited by robinlynn
update

I WISH we packed lightly. I just don't get it. We pack a "drugstore" for just in case and pretty much always use something. Then we have our vitamins, prescriptions, iPad, chargers for phones and it goes on and on. How can you pack clothes and the incidentals in a small carryon? Then the return trip with the souvenirs for you and family???

OK, JiminyC, I agree, this is the primary issue. Let's all decide how to "downsize" all the necessities.

I have a flat case with compartments for meds, it's about the size of a playing card. It can carry meds for 8 days, throw it away at end of trip.

I downsized to a IPad Mini and carry 1 charger that does my iPhone/iPad and I no longer use a digital camera, just these devices. That goes in my personal carryon with passport/ID.

I am looking for the slimmest, smallest wallet, but I found a passport cover at Coach that has slots for credit cards, IDs and will consolidate everything in that one case, size of a passport. No other wallet to weigh me down shopping.

I am not planning to take any shampoo, conditioner, soap, or lotion and will rely on hotel/cruise products only. :eek: this makes me nervous!

I bought a complete travel size makeup kit from Bare Minerals that is 1/2 the size of my iPad Mini that contains foundation, blush, concealer, mineral veil, brushes, eyeshadow, lip gloss & a mirror. Done.

I will have a small travel size electric toothbrush/paste, moisturizer, chapstick, hair gel/hairspray. Done and I am going to really allow myself the freedom to be on vacation.

If I need anything else, I love to take a walk through local pharmacies as European women have great access to skin care products, especially in France.

I am going to plan 2 prs of capris (black/royal blue) from Chicos traveler's collection with very thin packable fabric that refuses to wrinkle, 7 lightweight tops, 1 pr of black slacks, 1 reversible dress, 2 scarves, pjs, 9 panties/ 3 bras. I am going to wear jeans, tank, cardigan & 1 scarf on the plane to work as blanket if need be, and all these items will go into a compression bag. 1 pr of black ballet flats to wear with slacks/dress, and a pr of black Arcopedico shoes for touring, sightseeing, etc. Yep, 2 prs of shoes, that's it folks. SHOES are the space killer!

I am currently reading Rick Steves website on how great it is to see Europe without being totally miserable with a ton of luggage. He has a great packing list.:cool:

I am also not opposed to shipping dirty clothes home or even throwing away items that I don't care about. I have a friend who travels the world, and she buys undergarments at Target and throws them away before she comes home, says it works great. :rolleyes:

It's the beginning of a new me. Please weigh in with ideas. I am SO sick of overpacking and having too much stuff that I never use on a cruise.:)

Just finished my packing for my 2 week trip to Amsterdam, 7 day Viking Rhine Cruise and 4 days on Lake Geneva.

This is the first time I have ever been able to get everything into a 20 inch suitcase and a 18" rolling tote. Neither of us wanted to have to schlep a back pack, when we have these great rolling totes.

Over the years, we have downsized from 30" to 26" to 24" to 20" for each of us.

The weather is forecast to range from high 40's to low 70's, causing a bit of a challenge.

Bringing 2 pair of dress slacks, 3 pair of jeans for daytime,1 pair of black knit pants (plane), 6 shirts for day time (long and short sleeve) 1 cardigan that goes with everything. 3 cashmere lightweight crew neck sweaters for dinner in the evening, 1 very light quilted thin short jacket/blazer(plane) one lacey sweater set for Captain's dinner, etc and for a high end dinner or two on Lake Geneva, one pair of sneakers for castle climbing, one pair of travel walking shoes(plane), and one pair of ballet type flats for dinner.

Stuck to navy, black, with a touch of coral and white.

And, of course, raincoat and umbrella. Add two nightgowns (one warm for those 40 degree evenings, undergarments, sox (packed in the shoes),

a few scarves, a few pieces of my favorite costume jewelry, and some of my personal care items. (Anyone with hair issues knows the ship and hotel shampoos and conditioner just won't cut it.) Oh, and a ziploc full of prescription meds in their original bottles, one for each of us. Also a pretty large Ziploc full of over the counter" what if "meds. We always get a script from our doc for Cipro, and the usual cold, stomach, etc meds. We learned the hard way the cold meds in Europe really made us sicker This is non-negotiable. Also a small clothes line, a rubber piece that fits in the sink and Woolite, and a few dry cleaner type small clothes pins for laundry.

Add ship papers, airline and hotel confirmations, a few maps, some brochures for Switzerland, a kindle, chargers, travel wallet, a small cross body purse for sightseeing, (the big one goes on the plane with me of course).

We are splitting up our clothes between our two cases and checking them in and am putting a pair of my jeans, some undergarments and one of my shirts in my carry-on in case of a possible luggage problem.

It was a challenge, but am proud that I did it!.

A few years ago I never would have believed I could do it!!:cool:

6 days to go!!!

Robin

I am sooooo impressed RobinLynn, that's awesome! Let us know how your trip is and what you needed that you didn't have. (probably nothing) :)

I still travel with one suitcase and a nice camera carrier backpack as my carry one. I have dragging suitcases through airports and having to deal with them during long/unexpectant layovers. Most overseas flights allow one suitcase without charge still, so why not use it?

I hate trying to walk through the lounges (Red Carpet Club) or restaurants in airports and one can't walk the aisle to get to a seat with all the people stowing their carryon's in the aisle ways!:mad:

I still travel with one suitcase and a nice camera carrier backpack as my carry one. I have dragging suitcases through airports and having to deal with them during long/unexpectant layovers. Most overseas flights allow one suitcase without charge still, so why not use it?

I hate trying to walk through the lounges (Red Carpet Club) or restaurants in airports and one can't walk the aisle to get to a seat with all the people stowing their carryon's in the aisle ways!:mad:

Yes, I agree, it can be a hassle to drag a carryon through the airport, although the Sky Club has mostly business class with carryons nearby.

Clearly, you have never been the victim of lost/damaged luggage. Check out the way some of the airlines handle luggage, and remember, this is where you have packed your vacation souvenirs/gifts, etc . YIKES :eek: This is AirCanada!

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/25299057/air-canada-luggage-mishandling

It's funny,in our family it's my HUSBAND who hates the thought of taking just carry-on, he feels more secure with covering every contingency and packing accordingly. One trick that works for me: If it's anytime other than winter in the frozen north, I take only one short-sleeved nightgown (which can be hand-washed). If it's cool and that nightgown isn't warm enough I simply throw on a sweater and sleep with both. When the hot flash hits, the sweater comes off.

OK, JiminyC, I agree, this is the primary issue. Let's all decide how to "downsize" all the necessities.

I have a flat case with compartments for meds, it's about the size of a playing card. It can carry meds for 8 days, throw it away at end of trip.

I downsized to a IPad Mini and carry 1 charger that does my iPhone/iPad and I no longer use a digital camera, just these devices. That goes in my personal carryon with passport/ID.

I am looking for the slimmest, smallest wallet, but I found a passport cover at Coach that has slots for credit cards, IDs and will consolidate everything in that one case, size of a passport. No other wallet to weigh me down shopping.

I am not planning to take any shampoo, conditioner, soap, or lotion and will rely on hotel/cruise products only. :eek: this makes me nervous!

I bought a complete travel size makeup kit from Bare Minerals that is 1/2 the size of my iPad Mini that contains foundation, blush, concealer, mineral veil, brushes, eyeshadow, lip gloss & a mirror. Done.

I will have a small travel size electric toothbrush/paste, moisturizer, chapstick, hair gel/hairspray. Done and I am going to really allow myself the freedom to be on vacation.

If I need anything else, I love to take a walk through local pharmacies as European women have great access to skin care products, especially in France.

I am going to plan 2 prs of capris (black/royal blue) from Chicos traveler's collection with very thin packable fabric that refuses to wrinkle, 7 lightweight tops, 1 pr of black slacks, 1 reversible dress, 2 scarves, pjs, 9 panties/ 3 bras. I am going to wear jeans, tank, cardigan & 1 scarf on the plane to work as blanket if need be, and all these items will go into a compression bag. 1 pr of black ballet flats to wear with slacks/dress, and a pr of black Arcopedico shoes for touring, sightseeing, etc. Yep, 2 prs of shoes, that's it folks. SHOES are the space killer!

I am currently reading Rick Steves website on how great it is to see Europe without being totally miserable with a ton of luggage. He has a great packing list.:cool:

I am also not opposed to shipping dirty clothes home or even throwing away items that I don't care about. I have a friend who travels the world, and she buys undergarments at Target and throws them away before she comes home, says it works great. :rolleyes:

It's the beginning of a new me. Please weigh in with ideas. I am SO sick of overpacking and having too much stuff that I never use on a cruise.:)

Great info! Does everything stay within the weight limitations? Maybe your airline is more generous. We are flying LS and our limit for carry one is 18 pounds. Darn! I really would prefer to not check as I want to make sure that nothing happens to it along the way. I haven't checked a bag in years so I haven't had to worry about that. BTW, I have used the travel size Bare Minerals too and I like that it does not have to go in the liquids bag. Have a great time:)

Great info! Does everything stay within the weight limitations? Maybe your airline is more generous. We are flying LS and our limit for carry one is 18 pounds. Darn! I really would prefer to not check as I want to make sure that nothing happens to it along the way. I haven't checked a bag in years so I haven't had to worry about that. BTW, I have used the travel size Bare Minerals too and I like that it does not have to go in the liquids bag. Have a great time:)

Good grief, PurdueMom, I am hoping I don't have to get on the scales to meet the weight limit! LOL, it's crazy trying to meet all the guidelines these days!

It used to be so much fun to travel with a trunk full 'o stuff and decorate the cabin doors, take a costume for the passenger talent show, formal nights,etc. But, those days are gone....sigh, back to Rick Steves and learning how to be lean and spontaneous...in only 2 prs. of shoes! LOL:D

Good grief, PurdueMom, I am hoping I don't have to get on the scales to meet the weight limit! LOL, it's crazy trying to meet all the guidelines these days!

It used to be so much fun to travel with a trunk full 'o stuff and decorate the cabin doors, take a costume for the passenger talent show, formal nights,etc. But, those days are gone....sigh, back to Rick Steves and learning how to be lean and spontaneous...in only 2 prs. of shoes! LOL:D

It will be a sad day indeed if we ever have to get on a scales before boarding! You are so right that the fun is gone. I wish that all the airlines had standard allowances. I also wish that the airlines understood that carrying on isn't only done to avoid fees. Some of us just what to make sure our few belongings make it to our destination when we so and in good condition

BTW we are going on AMA.

Great question! When we took the Canada New England cruise, we mailed home a small box of clothing when we docked in Portland and made space for purchases.Otherwise, I look for small easy to fit in items. For our Danube cruise, we are checking a larger bag but by packing as if I only have the 22 inch carry on, I will have room for purchases. Some will say they aren't shoppers and others buy from shops that will ship your items. That can be expensive but some do not want to be bothered carrying purchases home so it probably wouldn't matter to them what size suitcase they are using!

One word about shipping items home if you are taking Christmas time cruises--don't count on those items arriving before the holidays. If you want to display those new decorations this year plan on carrying them home with you. Same goes for gifts that you want to give at the holidays. A folding duffle bag works great, use some of your dirty clothes to cushion the breakables.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One word about shipping items home if you are taking Christmas time cruises--don't count on those items arriving before the holidays. If you want to display those new decorations this year plan on carrying them home with you. Same goes for gifts that you want to give at the holidays. A folding duffle bag works great, use some of your dirty clothes to cushion the breakables.

Good point. Unfortunately we aren't doing a Christmas Markets cruise. I don't think that I could afford to ship things home from Europe. I'll just have to shop carefully:)

The first time we traveled carry on only to Europe was to Italy for a two week trip, about ten years ago. We traveled with 4 other couples and let everyone know our plans and that those with checked baggage were on their own if they had issues with delays, lugging bags on and off of trains, etc.

One couple choose to take large bags and check them, despite my warnings about train stations not have escalators and elevators in all cities and a lack of porters. They were also not very fit. They had bags lost on our first international flight and had to deal with that while the rest of us when on to our hotel. They also struggled in several locations and the rest of us were able to easily move through our itinerary with no issues.

I have learned many tricks since then for packing light and will not overpack again. Sometimes we do check bags as the foreign carriers are too restrictive with carry on weight limits, but even then we check a 22 or 24 inch roller bag maximum and it is not overpacked.

Good point. Unfortunately we aren't doing a Christmas Markets cruise. I don't think that I could afford to ship things home from Europe. I'll just have to shop carefully:)

Actually shipping costs from Europe are not that bad. We sent home a number of pottery pieces from Italy and they were actually not that much higher than shipping within the US. Out of 12 pieces shipped, only one arrived damaged, and FedX reimbursed us 100%. It took about 3 weeks for the box to get there. A rug we bought inTurkey was waiting on our doorstep when we got home! Be sure to get insurance on the full value. There are packing/shipping stores all over Europe if you want to DIY, works great to consolidate all your purchases and then send them on home. A little off the subject perhaps, but allows you to keep yourself in the carry on category.

Ah, the good old days before they cared what or how big the thing was you checked. I came home from Kyrgyzstan in 1993 with a rug, rolled up & taped with a luggage tag slapped on it:D

The most important thing to change is your MINDSET. If you *want* to pack lightly (and some do not - that's their prerogative, I'm not trying to change their mind) you must approach packing starting from nothing and slowly adding the things you MUST have. Instead of starting with "everything" and trying to pare down. This is the approach that has worked for me (and it's a work in progress, every trip, TRUST me ;)) Some people refuse to do laundry - they're on vacation. Those people will probably not ever pack carry-on only. I personally have different priorities - I want to carry less, and I'm willing to spend 10 minutes a night washing a couple things out in the sink to achieve my goal.

When I was a kid, my parents' rule was - you can pack what you want, but you always carry your own bag(s). That's been helpful over the years!

If packing so light in a 22 or carryon, where do you place your souvenirs or other items you have purchased?

I carry on my luggage whether I am traveling for a week or a month using many of the ideas already mentioned here. Over the years I have actually curtailed my shopping while traveling because almost anything can be ordered online after you return home. I may just make a note of the store's website and possibly take a picture. Shopping has just become less important and reduces the time spent on soaking up the culture. However, it is nice to bring back a few special items to remind you of the trip or to bring to the neighbor who looked out you while you were gone. I always buy an Hermes scarf or two when in Paris - takes up very little space and sometimes I buy jewelry.

I make room in my luggage by using the expandable feature if needed and checking it on the return flight while using a small lightweight tote as my new carry-on. In addition, I sometimes jettison my sneakers if I've brought old ones that need to be retired anyway - that's quite a bit of space right there. I also know people who wear old clothes and jettison those along the way to make room for purchases. That's never really worked for me because I have spent a lot of time refining my travel wardrobe and have it down to a science.

Actually shipping costs from Europe are not that bad. We sent home a number of pottery pieces from Italy and they were actually not that much higher than shipping within the US. Out of 12 pieces shipped, only one arrived damaged, and FedX reimbursed us 100%. It took about 3 weeks for the box to get there. A rug we bought inTurkey was waiting on our doorstep when we got home! Be sure to get insurance on the full value. There are packing/shipping stores all over Europe if you want to DIY, works great to consolidate all your purchases and then send them on home. A little off the subject perhaps, but allows you to keep yourself in the carry on category.

Good to know. I had no idea and just assumed that shipping costs would be high. Yes, this does help those who want to pack light AND love to shop too!

Good to know. I had no idea and just assumed that shipping costs would be high.

In my experience, they can be quite high.

We wanted to ship back crystal from Prague last year and the cost of the shipping exceeded the cost of the decanter set we wanted to purchase. We did not have the space or desire to carry it home so we passed on the purchase. To pay 150 in shipping for an item that cost 110 made no sense to us.