Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

In my experience, they can be quite high.

We wanted to ship back crystal from Prague last year and the cost of the shipping exceeded the cost of the decanter set we wanted to purchase. We did not have the space or desire to carry it home so we passed on the purchase. To pay 150 in shipping for an item that cost 110 made no sense to us.

I was afraid of that. Back to shopping for smalls I can pack and carry.

I was afraid of that. Back to shopping for smalls I can pack and carry.

Shipping from a store is usually very expensive, but if you consolidate your purchases from the whole trip and take them to a FedX type pack and ship store in your last city it works great. We are furnishing a new home and having wonderful items purchased when traveling makes sense for us. Online shopping is fine, but many of our "finds" are made by local artisans or found in wonderful out of the way shops. Have the stores where you buy things package your items really well, then add additional bubble wrap and packing peanuts available at the pack store and ship it back. We usually take additional days at the end of our cruise and this duty is included into our time plan.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Shipping from a store is usually very expensive, but if you consolidate your purchases from the whole trip and take them to a FedX type pack and ship store in your last city it works great. We are furnishing a new home and having wonderful items purchased when traveling makes sense for us. Online shopping is fine, but many of our "finds" are made by local artisans or found in wonderful out of the way shops. Have the stores where you buy things package your items really well, then add additional bubble wrap and packing peanuts available at the pack store and ship it back. We usually take additional days at the end of our cruise and this duty is included into our time plan.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What a wonderful way to furnish your home! Making memories all along the way. While I can't justify purchasing a lot while traveling as my home is pretty full, I do like to find those unusual items that will serve as a permanent reminder of a trip. I'll keep your methods in mind...it makes sense.

Janice at The Vivienne Files has been oh-so-helpful for me putting together packing/capsule wardrobes to improve my packing!

Hi Hoyaheel, I just looked at the Vivienne Files blog and had to say thanks so much for the source. I like her organization and ideas, best I've seen! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Hoyaheel, I just looked at the Vivienne Files blog and had to say thanks so much for the source. I like her organization and ideas, best I've seen! Thanks again!

Glad you enjoy it! I hang out on the Fashion & Beauty board here and it's a well-loved resource! There are also lots of travel fashion/packing boards on Pinterest if you're into that:D

• 2 months later...
I've been wondering about the compression bags. Great on the way there, but how do you do it on the way back? Not too many vacuum cleaners hanging around in the cabins...

The travel compression bags that I have seen roll up in order to "compress" them. I do not have any so I don't know how well they work.

I don't see how it could be possible to take only 1 small bag on a trip. My first cruise, we had 10, yes 10 bags between me and my husband. I have a photo, that's how I remember. Most were full size bags. That was before the airlines charged. It was a 10 day trip and we needed at least 2 outfits for each day. I don't remember what the heck could have taken up so much room and how we were able to fit it in the cabin.

We are doing a weekend trip soon and will have 2-4 bags.

I don't see how it could be possible to take only 1 small bag on a trip. My first cruise, we had 10, yes 10 bags between me and my husband. I have a photo, that's how I remember. Most were full size bags. That was before the airlines charged. It was a 10 day trip and we needed at least 2 outfits for each day. I don't remember what the heck could have taken up so much room and how we were able to fit it in the cabin.

Wow! We don't even own 10 bags....or enough clothes to fill them!

Wow. 2 - 4 for a weekend. :eek: We have 2 carry on and 2 checked for 10 weeks and that is for both of us.

Well they sell totes that are considered hand luggage which are almost as big as a wheeled carryon. As long as it can fit under the seat it's good. Make sure it has a zipper closure not a magnetic closure. One way to save space is to limit shoes. Especially on a river cruise fancy shoes are unnecessary. I have a good pair of laced up walking shoes and one pair if walking sandals. Many European brands are both stylish and comfortable.

We have packed a 21" "carry-on" size luggage (which we check due to weight limits) and a shoulder tote each. Really doesn't matter how long we're going for. Did 30 days, will do 60 days next, Iceland, Norway, River Cruise, Transatlantic cruise home. Will have to wear a jacket onto the flight out this time for colder climates in Norway. DH usually wear his suit coat on the planes and then we pack it in the luggage, opening up the expansion zipper. Light is easy!

I've learned to buy Ex-officio underwear and can wash it out.. no more than 3 sets needed.

I bring Purex 3-in-1 sheets for washer/dryer when we can find them handy.

Thin layers work best for us. I have a thin silk turtleneck that makes a great underlayer for cold weather.

An evening pair of sandals, a lightweight black skirt and a thin silvery shawl help for formal evenings on the cruise ship portion (transatlantic).

One problem has been DH's big shoes but we managed before although this time we may opt for him just wearing his dark Merrill walking shoes and not care if somebody in the dining room doesn't think it looks right, too bad.

Go light and have a fabulous time. m--

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my packing list for our 2-week trip in September. If it weren't for Austrian Airlines' 18 pound carry-on restriction, I think we could have done it all carry on. And maybe we still could. But, since we have a non-stop flight on the way there and one checked bag is free, I think we're going to check two bags (one larger) and still bring backpacks ... so we can leave lots of extra space for beer, wine, and other goodies purchased in the cities we visit.

If I had a connecting flight, and/or I was switching rooms more times in our trip, I'd definitely be in carry-on.

Have others checked bags and/or allowed more room when traveling "just because you could?"

Edit: I should add ... I'm not bringing any more stuff than I would if I were to carry on (with normal weight restrictions), just allowing more space for that stuff.

Edited by ewizabeff

Shlepping gets old so I would never just bring a bigger bag and check it just because I could. I get 3 free checked bags on UA and never use that perk partly because they've lost my luggage several times and with so many cancelled, delayed flights it's good to have flexibility. Just one 22 in. wheelie and small tote will work for any length trip.

"One problem has been DH's big shoes but we managed before although this time we may opt for him just wearing his dark Merrill walking shoes and not care if somebody in the dining room doesn't think it looks right, too bad."

My husband blacked out the big white tick on his Black leather Nike sports shoes. Then added polish often. He wore them every day whilst out and about and with his semi formal and formal clothes in the evening.

Great ideas here.

Like others, I color match everything - including the scarf - and hand wash underwear, socks, and t-shirts. If available at a reasonable cost, I send out laundry or use the washing machines and dryers. I have inherited plastic clothes hangers with clothes pins attached to them. That way, I can hang undies in the room instead of leaving them in the often humid and not well ventilated bathrooms.

All my shoes, even for evening must be comfortable for walking. No dead weight allowed. :) I usually bring one pair of ecco walking sandals (buy in Germany!), one pair of sneakers, and one pair of closed-toe black sandals if it is a cruise.

"One problem has been DH's big shoes but we managed before although this time we may opt for him just wearing his dark Merrill walking shoes and not care if somebody in the dining room doesn't think it looks right, too bad."

My husband blacked out the big white tick on his Black leather Nike sports shoes. Then added polish often. He wore them every day whilst out and about and with his semi formal and formal clothes in the evening.

My husband also bought a black pair of sneakers/walking shoes that work perfectly for on and off the ship... and we have stopped cruising on very formal ships. But he also takes a pair of boat shoes.

Just one 22 in. wheelie and small tote will work for any length trip.

Except on many overseas airlines, that 22" bag is too big for carry-on and must be checked, so.....

I agree it's plenty of space if you use a capsule wardrobe, mix & match & do laundry during a trip and don't have any "outlier" events you need to dress for. But it's not always possible to do carry-on with that size bag.

Recently returned from my River Cruise. I was reminded how casual everyone dresses. Because of unseasonably cool and rainy weather, I wore the same sweatshirt and jeans almost everyday.:D for touring. One day I bought an infinity scarf for 5euros from a street vendor to keep my neck warm. lol One wrinkle proof dress and a pair of black pants and a few nice tops for dinner is fine for the ladies. Men wore golf shirts and dockers for dinner each night.

Edited by Got2Cruise

Except on many overseas airlines, that 22" bag is too big for carry-on and must be checked, so.....

I agree it's plenty of space if you use a capsule wardrobe, mix & match & do laundry during a trip and don't have any "outlier" events you need to dress for. But it's not always possible to do carry-on with that size bag.

Very true! Many European airlines also have weight limits for carry ons. I too have done a 2 plus week trip with only a 22 inch and a tote and will again when I can. However, it just isn't possible when we fly on a foreign carrier. Would much prefer having everything with me and not worrying about lost or damaged bags.

For our 2 wk Danube cruise, I took 3 pr. slacks...one black, one black jeans, one gray. I wore the jeans on flights. I took 3 short sleeve tops...one a little dressy...and 4 long sleeve tops. All tops were either solid red, black, or white and prints of those colors. I roll several tops together. I took 2 scarves to pair with tops. I took 1 pr. of "dressier" shoes and 2 pr. of Skechers "athletic-type" shoes. In my carry-on, I had make up (Bare Minerals powdered kind) and jewelry; other toiletries in a smaller bag in check-in bag.

Whenever we travel, I almost exclusively use the black/white/red/gray palette...that way, everything matches.

• 2 months later...
Recently returned from my River Cruise. I was reminded how casual everyone dresses. Because of unseasonably cool and rainy weather, I wore the same sweatshirt and jeans almost everyday.:D for touring. One day I bought an infinity scarf for 5euros from a street vendor to keep my neck warm. lol One wrinkle proof dress and a pair of black pants and a few nice tops for dinner is fine for the ladies. Men wore golf shirts and dockers for dinner each night.

OK, I am back and checking in on this crew re: how to pack light! So, Got2Cruise, how was your fabulous trip this summer? Hope it was wonderful and you bring great hope for lightweight packing!

I have found the most PERFECT garment and you must know about it!

I bought the Scottevest! Yep, that's right, a travel vest with 18 pockets- a place for everything and everything in its place. You take it off at TSA and you're done. It's the BOMB!

Check this out: http://http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_womens_products.shtml

This is how I am going to pack lightly ladies! :D

IMO and IME, the one true key to packing light is discipline.

I lay out my separates and make sure everything mix and matches. Nothing that does not work with something else is allowed in my suitcase.

Fabric is key. We travel when temps are cool to cold. Cords are lighter than jeans and my preference. Layers are key to handle temperature fluctuations. Color palette is always based on black and white in my case.

Packing cubes are my friend and I use them even when packing for a weekend. I love how organized they keep me.

I am leaving for the weekend tomorrow and my cubes are packed and laid out on the bed.

We leave in 4 weeks for France and as soon as I back from this trip, I will start laying out for that trip.

Packing light is liberating.