best inside cabins on the Royal

Tennant

On all ships there are those extra special cabins in every category. We are consider an inside cabin on the Royal for a 12 night British Isles cruise in 2015. The prices are high so inside cabin it is. Any suggestions for those hidden gems?!

Thanks!

I was in the same boat, i.e., unwilling to pay the premium for a balcony. On my cruise, the difference is over $2,000 as a single. That's another cruise. :)

The best insides are the "sideways" cabins. The Royal has quite a few of them. I selected C329 on Caribe deck. The reason is that there's a cabin on either side and behind (in the white space) is an air duct. There is some air sound but it's constant and more like white noise. I would avoid an inside on Marina deck. My sister had one underneath the HC and there was constant noise from above with rolling carts, cleaning, etc.

The sideways cabins are larger and better laid out. The negative is that the door enters directly into the cabin so you need to be careful when opening the door that a passerby won't get an eyeful of what they shouldn't.

Edited by Pam in CA
  • Like 1

I was in the same boat, i.e., unwilling to pay the premium for a balcony. On my cruise, the difference is over $2,000 as a single. That's another cruise. :)

The best insides are the "sideways" cabins. The Royal has quite a few of them. I selected C329 on Caribe deck. The reason is that there's a cabin on either side and behind (in the white space) is an air duct. There is some air sound but it's constant and more like white noise. I would avoid an inside on Marina deck. My sister had one underneath the HC and there was constant noise from above with rolling carts, cleaning, etc.

The sideways cabins are larger and better laid out. The negative is that the door enters directly into the cabin so you need to be careful when opening the door that a passerby won't get an eyeful of what they shouldn't.

Glad to hear this, Pam. I'm booked in one - C317 - for my repo. I'm very excited to see and be on this new ship. Many new things to discover and lots of old friends sailing together - not to mention Halloween!

Maureen

For double occupancy, my best recommendations based on personal experience would be either:

R405/406

A405/406

B405/406

C405/406:

I had C406, a 'sideways' inside, for two weeks. Location was perfect, with no cabin forward of me, and quick access to the amidships elevators, or just a bit further walk to the forward elevators and stairs.

The cabin layout has it that both bathrooms and closet areas of my cabin and the one aft of it are back-to-back, so noise from the other cabins bedroom area and TV were never an issue, nor did I actually ever hear anything at all from the other cabin during the two weeks I was aboard ship. The head of my bed was facing the bow end, the foot of the bed facing toward the aft end.

Storage space was plenty for me, and I never used most of the drawers in the bedroom area or shelves in the two smaller closet areas. A lot of my items I just kept in my suitcase or carry-on and pulled them out as I needed them. My large suitcase fit easily under the bed. The pump dispensers in the shower were a nice addition, but I always bring my own from home. The position of the toilet paper dispenser was a non-issue.

The distance to the forward elevators/stairs was an easy for me to walk, and not inconvenient at all. And during the two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess never found the wait for an elevator (including the amidship elevators) any worse than other ships with the exception of embarkation day, which is also about the same on any ship I've been on.

Pam, did you do a review of your cruise on the Royal? I know you are an experienced Princess cruiser and seem to be a loyal fan so I was hoping to read your opinion of the new ship. We prefer celebrity but also do a fair amount on princess since they seem to have better itineraries and we often cruise with my grandparents and princess is their line of choice. We want to try the new ship but there seems to be some negative opinions. If you did a review and could provide the link, I would be so grateful!

Edited by Tennant

Count me as one among a few who actually prefer the inside cabins that are perpendicular to the corridor. There is no decor around the door to a parallel inside stateroom; it seems like the door to a storage locker the stewards use. As Pam mentioned, they do seem to have a better layout, with a bit more storage (less closet space but more shelves). What really turned me off is that there is no privacy when the door is open, and that, when the beds are configured as twins, one of them is directly against the corridor, separated only by the width of the wall from all the traffic and conversation taking place there.

I published several blog posts about the inside cabins and our cruise on the Royal Princess, as well as a return BVE experience you might find helpful.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Royal%20Princess