Room service breakfast tipping etiquette?

samchico

We never tip for room service, maybe that is why on our last trip they would never ever pick up the trays, even hours after we called for a tray pickup.

Our room stewards did pick up the trays and we do tip them at the end of a voyage (as well as our waiters when we have fixed dinning). Otherwise, I figure $23 dollars a day is enough (think about it, if you are paying $200-400 day per cabin for your fare, isn't that enough)? How much do you tip when you stay at a hotel?

We have paid more than that per cabin (and hotel rooms) and yes when we stay at a hotel we tip as well. It's certainly not mandatory but that's what we choose to do when we are well taken care of :)

I always take an envelope with lots of ones and a couple of fives in it and tape it inside a closet door.

If we are ordering bkfst. I take out two or three before going to bed and have them on the table, waiting, because they are always in a rush and really can't wait for me to locate my purse, then my wallet.

If we order a big meal, we tip more that a couple of ones. IMO, they earn my tip...............and I'm lucky to be able to give it to them.:)

I don't mean to be invasive and certainly understand if you don't wish to respond but when you worked hotel front desk, did guests tip? DH and I always have been what just about anyone would consider generous tippers but it never occured to either of us to tip the people who check us in at the front desk in a hotel.

I feel awful thinking we have bypassed them time and again. :o

We get out of the taxi and tip the driver.

We tip the doorman who brings the suitcases into the lobby.

We tip the bellhop who brings the suitcases to our room and

We tip room service if we call for something delivered.

We tip the housekeeper who cleans our hotel room.

We tip the person who might deliver flowers or some other gift to us.

Well you get the picture......

I'm sorry to the front desk people who we omitted.

No, as a Front Desk Clerk, we weren't tipped by guests, but we were by others (preferred cab drivers tipped us for calling them directly, tour companies gave us a small tip for arranging tours for guests, and some of the local dinner shows, tipped us for booking the guests reservations). Don't hesitate to ask a clerk if you need something like that arranged.

However, driving the hotel shuttle back and forth to the airports of Orange County, CA was where I received a majority of my tips. Most people were very kind in tipping.

<snip>

Sail I've never tipped a front desk person & doubt that anyone would tip the Front Desk people unless someone did something personal for them, such as a Babysitter.. Otherwise you might tip the Hotel Concierge for making dinner reservations & hailing a taxi, etc.. :D

Betty

I cannot imagine a time when I would offer a gratuity to a Front Desk employee. For services from others that Sail mentioned: Yes. Also, for the hotel's Conceirge if I used their services.

Yes, of course, we always tip the concierge same as we do on the ships. Concierges in hotels are so valuable..... they provide so much help.

I can't imagine not 'thanking them.'

No, as a Front Desk Clerk, we weren't tipped by guests, but we were by others (preferred cab drivers tipped us for calling them directly, tour companies gave us a small tip for arranging tours for guests, and some of the local dinner shows, tipped us for booking the guests reservations). Don't hesitate to ask a clerk if you need something like that arranged.

However, driving the hotel shuttle back and forth to the airports of Orange County, CA was where I received a majority of my tips. Most people were very kind in tipping.

Thanks for explaining.

That makes perfect sense and I should have realized what you meant. :o

We've given a little something to the front desk person if they did something extra special for us. We usually just give them a tip and tell them to "have lunch on us." Admittedly, this doesn't happen often, but when a front desk person is able to find you a room for a 7 AM check in after you've had a long flight and you can freshen up, I like to do a little more than say thanks.

We've given a little something to the front desk person if they did something extra special for us. We usually just give them a tip and tell them to "have lunch on us." Admittedly, this doesn't happen often, but when a front desk person is able to find you a room for a 7 AM check in after you've had a long flight and you can freshen up, I like to do a little more than say thanks.

You seem a 'classy gent' and I like your style. :)

OK understand & agree with that.. In the early 80's, during school break, I made reservations for a week's stay in Puerto Vallarta for DH, DS, & me.. When we arrived, the Hotel claimed not to have our reservation even though we had a confirmation.. DH handed the clerk a $20 bill & fortunately he was able to find a room for us.. LOL :D

OK understand & agree with that.. In the early 80's, during school break, I made reservations for a week's stay in Puerto Vallarta for DH, DS, & me.. When we arrived, the Hotel claimed not to have our reservation even though we had a confirmation.. DH handed the clerk a $20 bill & fortunately he was able to find a room for us.. LOL :D

Sooo, you tipped him for not finding your reservation? The mind boggles:confused:

Sooo, you tipped him for not finding your reservation? The mind boggles:confused:

NO DH did not tip him for finding our reservation..DH bribed him with a $20 bill for finding a place for us to stay..

I probably would not have thought to do that, but the alternative was sleeping on the beach with our young son, as it was mid Feb & high season there..

NO DH did not tip him for finding our reservation..DH bribed him with a $20 bill for finding a place for us to stay..

I probably would not have thought to do that, but the alternative was sleeping on the beach with our young son, as it was mid Feb & high season there..

Sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do.

Your DH thought fast and got the desired result. :)

Just as a point of clarification: We expressed our appreciation to the front desk clerks after they went above and beyond for us.

I'm not sure I would grease a palm to get my original reservation back. However, you do what you have to in a situation like that. Too bad there wasn't a TripAdvisor or something similar back then. A little sunlight works miracles.

We keep a lot of one dollar bills in an envelope in the safe. When we put out our room service order for breakfast, we take out some ones and put them on the desk so they'll be ready in the morning. Those stewards are in and out very quickly and we don't want to ask them to wait while we hunt for our money.