River Cruising in the USA

Stratheden

Thanks Steamboats--just about to write the same thing last night. (I've been on the Belle of Louisville several times--very cool trip down the Ohio and back. Loved the calliope!)

Cindy,

I wrote this earlier on this thread. So far Viking doesn´t have signed a contract with a shipyard. They announced a ship for 2015 but I doubt it. There aren´t many shipyards able to build a river cruise ship (if not to say nearly none).

cbb,

I see you recognized my avatar picture :D! We had the pleasure to ride the Belle again last year (after 5 years of absence to the Mid West). BTW she´s celebrating her 100th birthday in October.

steamboats

steamboats,

i grew up at the Ohio River and one of my favorite things to do was watch the Belle of Louisville and the Delta Queen race Derby Week.

I remember one year when the Belle won because she hugged the Indiana shore and therefore crossed under the bridge first and was declared the winner! Nothing in the rules said you had to sail in the middle of the river!! Good job Captain!

cbb,

The main rule for the Great Steamboat Race during the Kentucky Derby week is:

There are no rules :D!

I remember one race (since the DQ cannot participate anymore) when the Belle of Cinicinnati clearly won all tasks plus the race itself and then was disqualified because of being no steamboat :rolleyes: (which of course is true but known before).

steamboats

• 1 month later...
I'm booked in a solo cabin on the Queen of the Mississippi departing Oct. 25, 2014 from New Orleans - Memphis. I'm really looking forward to this river cruise.

You should spend at least 1 night in Memphis post cruise, eat some Memphis barbeque and hear some blues on Beale St. I suppose most people also go to Graceland but not my thing.

We went Memphis to NO. The ports are lovely, historic, beautiful scenery, friendly people. I forget the town but at one port we could take a shuttle or do a short walk. We were set to do the walk until we saw the very large alligator in the middle of the road; decided to wait for the shuttle. Vicksburg is amazing. We've done the trip twice and both times our tour took us to the Illinois memorial (we are from Chicago) and the stories are fascinating.

Joanne2 - Thank you for your comments. I think I will spend an extra day in Memphis. I've been there previously years ago and I did tour Graceland, so that would not be on my list this time. Blues and B-b-que definitely sound like a great way to end the trip. I booked in January as the solo cabins are limited and have been looking forward to the trip.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been meaning to return to post a mini-review of my Queen of the Mississippi cruise from New Orleans to Memphis, Oct. 25, 2014 to Nov. 1, 2014

Embarkation: The cruise included a pre-night at the Hilton Garden Inn on S. Peter's St. in New Orleans. There was included transportation from the hotel to the boat via a bus. The hotel is close to the port where the boat is docked. My luggage was handled at the bus and arrived in my stateroom. Upon arrival, I provided my name and embarkation document to the Cruise Director who checked my name off of a list and I was onboard. Easy!

Accommodation: I was on this river cruise as a solo and booked stateroom #115 on the Main Deck. There are 12 solo staterooms on this boat. There was a medium size picture window which let in a lot of natural light. The room was vey large with a desk, chair, flat screen tv, two nightstands, large closet, hairdryer and large bathroom. I was very pleased with the size of the room. I was very comfortable throughout the cruise. It was located next to the dining room and stairs.

WiFi: WiFi was included!

Dining: The food was outstanding. The menus were varied. The service was excellent. There is one seating at meals as it is open seating. As a solo traveler, I like this as I had an opportunity to meet and talk to many different people. Lots of friendly people on board. Beer and wine were complimentary at lunch and dinner.

Cocktail Hour: There was a complimentary cocktail hour each evening before dinner. Lots of yummy hors d'oeuvres! Everyone mixed and mingled.

Snacks: Sodas, bottled water, coffee, cookies and candy were always available and included. Root beer floats in the evening, tea in the afternoon - always something if you wanted a snack. All included.

Crew: Young, enthusiastic and energetic. Strived to make sure you enjoyed your cruise. They were very helpful with older individuals who had mobility issues.

Shore Excursions: All were included, with the exception of the excursion to Graceland. I did not go on that excursion as I had been to Graceland, but heard positive feedback from those who did go.

Ports: Oak Alley, Baton Rouge, St. Francisville, Natchez, Vicksburg, Memphis.

Entertainment: It was good. Local entertainers who were brought on board.

Riverlorians: Kate and Mike - Both had excellent knowledge of the Mississippi River and I enjoyed their lectures and humor.

Demographics: 40's to 80's.

I recommend this cruise. I loved being on the Mississippi River and experiencing the river and the history of this part of my country. I had so much fun, I booked another one while onboard for 2015 on the Queen of the West on their Columbia/Snake River Wine cruise. They offered 15% discount for booking onboard and many people did so.

I'm so happy you had a great cruise. I love the Mississippi. We did 2 cruises on the old Mississippi Queen years ago and have been hoping to cruise this great river again. Glad to hear they have Riverlorians; I loved them on the Queen.