Royal cancels 1/18/15 sailing

I called the travel agent booking this Irish Singers cruise and asked what was going on.

1) This is NOT an entire ship charter. They are planning on somewhere from 900-1200 people.

2) They too are worried about the ship going into dry dock. According to the lady I spoke with, RCI has not yet told them what is going to happen.

3) The travel company is under the impression that IF Freedom is not available, then RCI will simply pull another ship out of service and they will use that ship on the same dates. (Not sure how that would happen! It's not like RCI have an extra ship just sitting around empty!)

I called the travel agent booking this Irish Singers cruise and asked what was going on.

1) This is NOT an entire ship charter. They are planning on somewhere from 900-1200 people.

2) They too are worried about the ship going into dry dock. According to the lady I spoke with, RCI has not yet told them what is going to happen.

3) The travel company is under the impression that IF Freedom is not available, then RCI will simply pull another ship out of service and they will use that ship on the same dates. (Not sure how that would happen! It's not like RCI have an extra ship just sitting around empty!)

Interesting to know what happens

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

But it would probably just take a short time for RCI to empty one out.

But it would probably just take a short time for RCI to empty one out.

Sadly you are right. However, RCI only has Freedom and Enchantment positioned in Port Canaveral. Would they bring a Miami/Ft. Lauderdale ship up or transport the people down? Also, according to the OP, they have already cancelled the cruise for everyone else booked, so would they do this for just the charter group? Interesting to see how this plays out.

We had four rooms booked on the 1/18/2015 Freedom of the Seas that got the boot. Everyone we talked with at RCCL assured us FoS was going into dry dock. We were very disappointed we had to change dates and/or ship. We couldn't understand how they would schedule a dry dock and still be selling the Irish Stars cruise. With all the unanswered questions, I e-mailed Adam Goldstein yesterday regarding this matter and received a call today from someone in his office. She said according to all her information that FoS was going into dry dock and was cancelling the 1/11/2015 and 1/18/2015 cruises. Andy Cooney's group has now stopped taking reservations for this date according to her. We only had 4 rooms booked which took much time and many phone calls to rearrange our cruise. Imagine how difficult it's going to be rearranging for a big group. I'll take RCCL at their word on this. Dry dock it is. Looking forward to our next cruise on the newly updated FoS along with Rocky and the Rollers.

We had four rooms booked on the 1/18/2015 Freedom of the Seas that got the boot. Everyone we talked with at RCCL assured us FoS was going into dry dock. We were very disappointed we had to change dates and/or ship. We couldn't understand how they would schedule a dry dock and still be selling the Irish Stars cruise. With all the unanswered questions, I e-mailed Adam Goldstein yesterday regarding this matter and received a call today from someone in his office. She said according to all her information that FoS was going into dry dock and was cancelling the 1/11/2015 and 1/18/2015 cruises. Andy Cooney's group has now stopped taking reservations for this date according to her. We only had 4 rooms booked which took much time and many phone calls to rearrange our cruise. Imagine how difficult it's going to be rearranging for a big group. I'll take RCCL at their word on this. Dry dock it is. Looking forward to our next cruise on the newly updated FoS along with Rocky and the Rollers.

Executive office told me the same last week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This is funny. This thread came alive, and I was watching it, because I do that. Now, more than a week after the OP, my DW says we have a massage from our TA that our cruise has been redeployed.

I never realized, we had booked this cruise back in January. We were on a cruise on Explorer, and were losing her, and I had wanted to go on Freedom anyway, so we booked.

I hadn't realized when this thread showed up, that we were booked on this cruise also.

I'm not sure if there is another thread about this sailing--this is the one I found when doing a search. I got a voice mail from the cruise line saying this cruise was cancelled so I checked online and there wasn't any info on it until I found this thread.

Anyway, they re-sent me the email about it because I hadn't received it. The email said we had until the 12th to re-book, but on the phone they said it was the 19th. I re-booked today just to be sure.

I asked why it was cancelled and they said it was because it will be in dry dock.

The email provided 5 price-protected sailings and a $200 on board credit (for a normal room). I ended up choosing an Eastern sailing instead of the Western. I may like this better because the new one is in Feb and that is better for me.

Wow, just wow. I would think dry docks would be scheduled well ahead of the time the ship is to be taken out of service. With the cost to reschedule a flight, you basically get nothing in recompense. I'd be ticked off.

Wow, just wow. I would think dry docks would be scheduled well ahead of the time the ship is to be taken out of service. With the cost to reschedule a flight, you basically get nothing in recompense. I'd be ticked off.

They give some money to reimburse for the flight ($150 domestic/200 international), but that won't cover some flights. This is over 6 months out so there may not be too many people who have flights.

If this is scheduled maintenance then they should have scheduled the dry dock before opening booking. It's an inconvenience to customers but it must also cost a lot for the cruise line (especially if they are going to reimburse people).