Does This Happen Often?

cruisead

We were looking at doing a B2B on Azamara Quest in 2015. Some friends were recently on Celebrity Eclipse and I had them get a list of available cruises. I was shocked to see that every single cruise from April 24 through July 4 is listed as sold out. When I called to see what was up with those cruises, I was told that every one of them were "given" to a travel agency in Australia to sell to the locals, and weren't available to anyone else unless you booked through that agency.

To say I was surprised is an understatement and I can't believe they would just give those cruises to one agency in Australia to sell. I asked if any of those cruises would be released for anyone to book and was told not until after final payment date.

I'm sorry to say, I leaning towards thinking that this isn't fair. I can understand agents booking a block of cabins to sell, but I've never heard of a cruise line giving every single berth to one travel agency.

It is 100 years since the Gallipoli conflict in 2015 & a lot of cruise lines are loitering around Greek islands/ Turkey and charging an absolute fortune as a floating hotel room based around the 100 year remembrance. There is not any accomodation for miles around for a good 3 week period. ANZAC ( Australian & New Zealand Army Corp) day is on April 25th, but the ceremonies are over several weeks and follow that ill fated campaign.

Not sure if this helps, but gives you an insight into why & it only happens every 100 years, so would probably cut them some slack.

Karyn

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

It is 100 years since the Gallipoli conflict in 2015 & a lot of cruise lines are loitering around Greek islands/ Turkey and charging an absolute fortune as a floating hotel room based around the 100 year remembrance. There is not any accomodation for miles around for a good 3 week period. ANZAC ( Australian & New Zealand Army Corp) day is on April 25th, but the ceremonies are over several weeks and follow that ill fated campaign.

Not sure if this helps, but gives you an insight into why & it only happens every 100 years, so would probably cut them some slack.

Karyn

Thanks for posting this. There has been a lot of controversy over the charters and you've explained what's behind it.

FYI, these are not charters and these cruises are more than just a couple weeks. It's more like 2 1/2 months of cruises. I was merely asking if Azamara routinely gives a large block of cruises, as opposed to a block of cabins, to one travel agency.

Fair, but I've already heard that due to it's successes selling these cruises, the same travel agent is about to confirm another massive charter in 2016.

Floris

Fair, but I've already heard that due to it's successes selling these cruises, the same travel agent is about to confirm another massive charter in 2016.

Floris

Now that could be good news - time and more importantly financial data to support a third ship?

Edited by uktog

Our first Azamara cruise was as a result of a private charter. The Quest was apparently charted for a Wedding, and the gap that was left between the charter and the orignal schdule was sold as a 4 nighter cruise from Nice to Rome.

We had a lovely introduction to the cruise line and knew we would be back one day :)

Agree with Ann. If this can make Azamara stronger so they can expand the fleet then it is something we have to accept. 2015 with so many weeks chartered by independent agencies will not make Azamara favourable for me that year. I look at the itineraries for Journey and she is mostly sailing eastern Mediterranean next year. Not for me as we have done all those sailings before. Maybe Oceania or Regent next year.