Interesting bunkers or ruins on Big Island or Maui?

mikeerdas

Are there any interesting bunkers or ruins worth visiting on the Big Island or Maui? For the Big Island, preferably the Kona side--we're staying in the Kohala Coast area. And for Maui, preferably West Maui--staying in the Wailea area. Hadn't given it much thought, but really enjoyed the ex-WWII-related spots on Oahu like Diamond Head, etc. Must be safe and legal to visit--not legally off limits like the Haiku Stairs.

Also interested in any Hawaiian ruins like petroglyphs and other places of historical importance (that are also either great eye candy or have a really strong atmosphere / spirit of place).

Edited by mikeerdas

Are there any interesting bunkers or ruins worth visiting on the Big Island or Maui? For the Big Island, preferably the Kona side--we're staying in the Kohala Coast area. And for Maui, preferably West Maui--staying in the Wailea area. Hadn't given it much thought, but really enjoyed the ex-WWII-related spots on Oahu like Diamond Head, etc. Must be safe and legal to visit--not legally off limits like the Haiku Stairs.

Also interested in any Hawaiian ruins like petroglyphs and other places of historical importance (that are also either great eye candy or have a really strong atmosphere / spirit of place).

Guess Oahu is the place for these sorts of sites rather than The Big Island (Kona side) or Maui.

The Puako Petroglyphs (in the Mauna Lani Resort - the parking lot is on the right side of the road across from the Fairmont Orchid.) A 20 minute walk along a trail takes you to some pretty interesting petroglyphs. If you are staying in the Waikoloa Beach Resort (?) then this is how you would get there. You could combine it with a swim/snorkel at Makaiwa Bay which is a beautiful (small) beach and has good snorkelling. But you would park in different areas for the petroglyphs and beach. This link describes Makaiwa Bay and how to get to it. Parking for the petroglyphs and Makaiwa Bay is free. And just to get a better visual of directions to both places in one outing, here's a map. (C is the parking lot for Makaiwa Bay)

It's a long walk from the parking lot at Makaiwa to the beach, so if you have a lot beach, snorkelling, food items, you could drive to the gates of the private parking lot (only accessible by those staying at the Mauna Lani) - drop your wife and the 'stuff' off, then go park, and walk the 15 minute or so paved trail to the beach.

Other Petroglyphs on the island.

I don't think there are any WWII ruins on Maui or the Big Island.

There are petroglyphs on Maui (Olowalu) ... I think it's a small site and not easily accessible.

As Susan-M said there are petroglyphs in Olowalu which is south of Lahaina in the West Maui area. I'm not aware of any other petroglyphs or old military sites anywhere else on Maui including in the South Maui area around Wailea. There are some old building ruins around the old Maui airport between Kahului & Kihei which may date back to WWII.

The Puako petroglyphs Susan-M mentioned in the Waikoloa area of the Big Island are much nicer and more easily accessible. Those petroglyphs are on the ground with a pathway to view them. Those in Olowalu are about a 15 minute hike to a viewing platform to see petroglyphs carved into the side of the dirt hill & nowhere near as nice as those at Puako.

Have you searched online for military sites on Maui and the Big Island?

I'm not aware of many accessible Hawaiian ruins on Maui & there are more on the Big Island.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but I would suggest visiting the Place of Refuge (Pu'uhonua O Honaunau) that is located on the Kona side of the big island. This was a place of escape or refuge for ancient Hawaiians. It's quite beautiful and has some ancient Hawaiian ruins. No bunkers though!

Thanks to all. Heading out later this week, so trying to wrap things up.

Sort of at a loss for Maui. We've done road the Hana and Haleakala, two of the major things to do / see. A trip to Molokai seems a bit much to plan.

A ferry over to Lanai might be interesting, since it would introduce us to a new island. Thing is, not sure what to do once on the ferry landing at Lanai. We don't have any car rentals lined up, and don't want to pay for any expensive tours. Could you take local buses to interesting places on Lanai? Price is an issue which is why the Trilogy sailing is out of budget, etc.

May like to do some short hikes on Maui. IO (?) Valley State Park to see the Needle (?). Again, our hotel will be more in south Maui--whatever the Wailea area is considered.

Thanks to all. Heading out later this week, so trying to wrap things up.

Sort of at a loss for Maui. We've done road the Hana and Haleakala, two of the major things to do / see. A trip to Molokai seems a bit much to plan.

A ferry over to Lanai might be interesting, since it would introduce us to a new island. Thing is, not sure what to do once on the ferry landing at Lanai. We don't have any car rentals lined up, and don't want to pay for any expensive tours. Could you take local buses to interesting places on Lanai? Price is an issue which is why the Trilogy sailing is out of budget, etc.

May like to do some short hikes on Maui. IO (?) Valley State Park to see the Needle (?). Again, our hotel will be more in south Maui--whatever the Wailea area is considered.

I've lived in Maui and still a part time resident however have never been to Lanai or Molokai. For me there's nothing that interesting on either island to go there. One day I'd like to go to Kalaupapa on Molokai where St. Father Damien ministered to the Hansens disease victims. The cost is what has kept me from going there but maybe someday.

We scuba dive off the southern coast of Lanai but that's as close as we've been to going there. Besides a couple of expensive resorts there's nothing else that would draw us to the old Pineapple Island.

I'ao Valley is an enjoyable short walk and you could also visit the free Maui Tropical Plantation (a fee for a tram to see some more remote locations) to see some of the plants on Maui which you would pass on the way to I'ao Valley. The Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alaea is a good aquarium & with most displays indoors can be a place to get away from the heat. It took me a long time to discover that a late 1700s lava flow is in the area south of Wailea between Makena and La Perouse bay. Big Beach (AKA Makena Beach) is the longest beach I know of on Maui & there are many other great beaches between Wailea & Makena.

The Maui Revealed guidebook (and other Revealed books on other islands) have the best information I've found for doing things on Maui.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks AF. We do have the Maui Revealed book packed, so will take a closer look at what it advises. Thanks for the tip on the Maui Tropical Plantation.

I've lived in Maui and still a part time resident however have never been to Lanai or Molokai. For me there's nothing that interesting on either island to go there. One day I'd like to go to Kalaupapa on Molokai where St. Father Damien ministered to the Hansens disease victims. The cost is what has kept me from going there but maybe someday.

We scuba dive off the southern coast of Lanai but that's as close as we've been to going there. Besides a couple of expensive resorts there's nothing else that would draw us to the old Pineapple Island.

I'ao Valley is an enjoyable short walk and you could also visit the free Maui Tropical Plantation (a fee for a tram to see some more remote locations) to see some of the plants on Maui which you would pass on the way to I'ao Valley. The Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alaea is a good aquarium & with most displays indoors can be a place to get away from the heat. It took me a long time to discover that a late 1700s lava flow is in the area south of Wailea between Makena and La Perouse bay. Big Beach (AKA Makena Beach) is the longest beach I know of on Maui & there are many other great beaches between Wailea & Makena.

The Maui Revealed guidebook (and other Revealed books on other islands) have the best information I've found for doing things on Maui.

Thanks AF. We do have the Maui Revealed book packed, so will take a closer look at what it advises. Thanks for the tip on the Maui Tropical Plantation.

Have a great visit to the Valley Isle & hopefully you'll have some time to relax and enjoy Maui.

The suggestion to visit the Place of Refuge (Pu'uhonua O Honaunau) on Kona was an excellent idea. Not far from there is the largest "heiau" (a Hawaiian place of worship) that I've seen & it's not far from here & is just across from the shoreline.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There are ruins at Pu`ukohola Heiau on the Kohala Coast. http://www.nps.gov/puhe/index.htm

Thanks Boulder and AstroFlyer. I fly out tomorrow early AM. Thanks again to all who've helped me on this and other threads.

Any pizza restaurant recommendations in these areas? Or the absolute best burger you've had? I'm a man of simple tastes, but am picky in these two food areas.

Also, I absolutely love Loco Mocos--I think that's what they're called. A burger patty with egg and brown gravy. Any place around Kona, the Kohala Coast, or Wailea in Maui where I can get a great Loco Moco. And/or great Japanese noodle soups?

Thanks Boulder and AstroFlyer. I fly out tomorrow early AM. Thanks again to all who've helped me on this and other threads.

Any pizza restaurant recommendations in these areas? Or the absolute best burger you've had? I'm a man of simple tastes, but am picky in these two food areas.

Also, I absolutely love Loco Mocos--I think that's what they're called. A burger patty with egg and brown gravy. Any place around Kona, the Kohala Coast, or Wailea in Maui where I can get a great Loco Moco. And/or great Japanese noodle soups?

Just north of Wailea (driving towards Kahului) in Kihei is the small Rainbow Mall with Da Kitchen which is always crowded with locals. The menu is more limited than at L&L but to me Da Kitchen has the most ono-licious local-grindz including the Loco Moco which may be available all day & not just in the morning. The Kihei location is order at the counter & their Kahului location just outside of the airport has table service.

http://www.da-kitchen.com/kihei-menu.html

http://www.da-kitchen.com/downloads/kahului_cater.pdf

Da Kitchen may have good burgers or you could try Cheeseburger Island Style Wailea in the Shops at Wailea.

I haven't found any great pizza & thought the Costco combo was much better. Sometimes we get a Round Table pizza which is located near our Kihei house in the Pi'ilani shopping center.

If you like an Irish pub/restaurant we frequently enjoy Mulligans on the Blue in Wailea. They have a happy hour & a good variety of food on a hilltop location on the Blue golf course with great ocean views. They sometimes have live entertainment including an authentic Irish band...Celtic Tigers. The owners are from Ireland & we always have a great time there.

http://www.mulligansontheblue.com

Taste is subjective so it's just my opinion.

Aloha! :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I neglected to give you the address for Da Kitchen:

Da Kitchen Express - Kihei, Maui

Rainbow Mall

2439 South Kihei Rd.

Kihei, HI 96753

T: 808.875.7782

Hours of Operation

Daily - 9am to 9pm

Breakfast - 9am to 10:30 am

Lunch & Dinner - 9am to 9pm

Thanks for all the great restaurant suggestions.

I neglected to give you the address for Da Kitchen:

Da Kitchen Express - Kihei, Maui

Rainbow Mall

2439 South Kihei Rd.

Kihei, HI 96753

T: 808.875.7782

Hours of Operation

Daily - 9am to 9pm

Breakfast - 9am to 10:30 am

Lunch & Dinner - 9am to 9pm

• 4 years later...

Maui was home to Pu’unene Naval Air Station, one of the largest airfields in the Pacific during WWII. Several buildings and bunkers remain, almost all of which are on state land. I visited in 2019 and found some fascinating stuff (pics attached). 

Here’s the location of one of the magazines:
https://goo.gl/maps/AkvMM13oCk32

The former runway is now a drag strip; there are still bunkers and reventments surrounding it:
https://goo.gl/maps/FtDB1XtZk1C2

For more ore info check out:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/HI/Airfields_HI_Maui.htm#puunene

B4AB497D-54ED-425B-9E0F-27903CFE5BF5.jpeg

380B592D-ED4B-4F9C-8D40-8CC8FCBDFEC2.jpeg

E99AEDAB-EE39-4E66-AC35-6380B26111DF.jpeg

90CFAE90-66E1-4C76-8984-5E753AEBBCF9.jpeg

EDD40E1F-2310-4053-AF90-E3619C5CCB1D.jpeg

9DB12E79-B423-46B5-A097-8499885A40DE.jpeg

193C8BC9-30F3-4D25-BCCB-904CF1C28C26.jpeg

B8CB208F-62D2-46BA-8EBC-8879A139A897.jpeg

6 hours ago, AKJorge said:

Maui was home to Pu’unene Naval Air Station, one of the largest airfields in the Pacific during WWII. Several buildings and bunkers remain, almost all of which are on state land. I visited in 2019 and found some fascinating stuff (pics attached). 

Here’s the location of one of the magazines:
https://goo.gl/maps/AkvMM13oCk32

The former runway is now a drag strip; there are still bunkers and reventments surrounding it:
https://goo.gl/maps/FtDB1XtZk1C2

For more ore info check out:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/HI/Airfields_HI_Maui.htm#puunene

B4AB497D-54ED-425B-9E0F-27903CFE5BF5.jpeg

380B592D-ED4B-4F9C-8D40-8CC8FCBDFEC2.jpeg

E99AEDAB-EE39-4E66-AC35-6380B26111DF.jpeg

90CFAE90-66E1-4C76-8984-5E753AEBBCF9.jpeg

EDD40E1F-2310-4053-AF90-E3619C5CCB1D.jpeg

9DB12E79-B423-46B5-A097-8499885A40DE.jpeg

193C8BC9-30F3-4D25-BCCB-904CF1C28C26.jpeg

B8CB208F-62D2-46BA-8EBC-8879A139A897.jpeg

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

All great info. Just be aware this thread was from 2014...the person asking has long since made the trip.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

All great info. Just be aware this thread was from 2014...the person asking has long since made the trip.

Yep, I know. But I was looking for the same info and came across this thread. Figured it might help someone else in the future. 😎

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKJorge said:

Yep, I know. But I was looking for the same info and came across this thread. Figured it might help someone else in the future. 😎

AKJorge, Thanks for posting those photos.  It is amazing how many remnants of WWII are still visible on the islands.  Yes, this is a very old thread but I'm sure many will welcome your post!!  Cherie