Alaska on a “Vista Class”, it the verandah worth it?

Alphen

We are looking at an Alaska cruise on Oosterdam or Westerdam, so the verandah is an option. Is the extra money (approx. 300 euros in our case) for a verandah worth it, or is an ocean view more than enough since you spent most of the time elsewhere on deck for viewing?

Absolutely, positively, and in all other ways, yes!

You will always have the option to walk around the ship, and you'll want to get out for the pea soup.... but if you want some private viewing time with a glass of wine in the evening, or like to order room service breakfast with a view, or don't want to rub elbows at the railings in Glacier Bay, or it's pouring rain, you will have a covered ring side seat.

And it doesn't matter if you go port or starboard side.

We are looking at an Alaska cruise on Oosterdam or Westerdam, so the verandah is an option. Is the extra money (approx. 300 euros in our case) for a verandah worth it, or is an ocean view more than enough since you spent most of the time elsewhere on deck for viewing?

We booked an obstructed ocean view on the Oosterdam a few years ago after only having verandas......figured we wouldn't be using a veranda much in Alaska. The week before we sailed we were offered an upsell to a VA veranda for $99 each and jumped on it - best decision we ever made! We would be sitting in our cabin late afternoon enjoying a glass of wine and see a whale spout - practically knocked each other down getting out on the veranda! Alaska is a wondrous place....we loved early mornings cruising into port with the sun rising, mist on the water and view of the mountains.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the experience!

Going to also agree with everyone here, we loved having the veranda both times we cruised to Alaska. Last year, on the Westerdam we enjoyed dinner on the veranda the night we were in Juneau.

Another vote FOR the verandah, especially in Alaska.

One benefit (to me) is being able to step outside and see what the temperature is ... it helps me figure out the clothing layers for the day :)

You can still have views from the decks and in an oceanview cabin. However, it's much more comfortable and convenient to watch from your own verandah. You won't have to worry about lugging your camera around, where the closest restrooms are, wanting to lay down and stretch a bit etc...

Diane

You can still have views from the decks and in an oceanview cabin. However, it's much more comfortable and convenient to watch from your own verandah. You won't have to worry about lugging your camera around, where the closest restrooms are, wanting to lay down and stretch a bit etc...

Diane

I could not agree more. Get that balcony. If you don't have a suite it is nice to have room service breakfast and look out the door as the beautiful scenery glides by.:)

Oh how I hope we get a chance to upgrade for a reasonable amount....we've agreed to $200-250/person if the opportunity presents. I would almost rather have an inside than an obstructed view from all that I've read [does that make sense] but the obstructed is what we paid for, hopefully will get a chance to upgrade.

Oh how I hope we get a chance to upgrade for a reasonable amount....we've agreed to $200-250/person if the opportunity presents. I would almost rather have an inside than an obstructed view from all that I've read [does that make sense] but the obstructed is what we paid for, hopefully will get a chance to upgrade.

It's really too bad that they don't just get to a certain point and then decide to start opening the upgrades via a bid process. I would imagine that something like that would be revenue-positive for HAL compared to the seemingly arbitrary way it's done now. Maybe it's a computer systems thing, or maybe there's more to it than meets the eye.

We are heading to Alaska in an OV after having cruised there with a balcony numerous times. The difference in price on the Amsterdam was $100 per day per person, or $200 per cabin per day, a total of $1400 for the week. For us, that saving is almost the cost for one of us on another cruise we are seriously eyeing for next winter. :eek: ;)

We love Alaska, and are thrilled to be returning once again. An OV on the main deck (on an S or R class ship) works well for us. Last year we found that we actually could afford to do a 2 week cruise (Vancouver to Seward and back) in an OV for the price of 1 week cruise with a balcony, we chose the extra days and experiences.

I think having a balcony is nice, but not mandatory. A cruise day in Alaska will be a treat for you either way.

Edited by localady

I hope you get as lucky as me Mytime

In Jan I booked a guaranteed obstructed view cabin. I would have been happy as I like having light in my cabin and was in one if those on RCCL and it worked out fine

Two separate upsells later at $99pp has us in a signature suite

I am ecstatic and amazed at my luck

We are heading to Alaska in an OV after having cruised there with a balcony numerous times. The difference in price on the Amsterdam was $100 per day per person, or $200 per cabin per day, a total of $1400 for the week. For us, that saving is almost the cost for one of us on another cruise we are seriously eyeing for next winter. :eek: ;)

We love Alaska, and are thrilled to be returning once again. An OV on the main deck (on an S or R class ship) works well for us. Last year we found that we actually could afford to do a 2 week cruise (Vancouver to Seward and back) in an OV for the price of 1 week cruise with a balcony, we chose the extra days and experiences.

I think having a balcony is nice, but not mandatory. A cruise day in Alaska will be a treat for you either way.

I agree. If I get offered an upgrade for $100.00 for the week, I might take it but otherwise, an OV for me is fine.

It was "worth it" for me.

We spent our "scenic cruising" Tracy Arm afternoon in our cabin/on our veranda. We enjoyed cocktails and looking out on the view.

My first Alaska cruise I had an inside cabin, and was outside on our scenic glacier cruising day. It was fantastic! But did not compare to having cocktails on our own veranda.

IMHO if you have to cut back on your shore excursion budget in Alaska in order to afford a balcony, the balcony is not "worth it". If, however, you can still do everything you want on shore and can afford the balcony in addition to your shore excursions, go for it.

I travel OV or interior to Alaska usually and spend a lot of time on deck.

O.k. - full disclosure. I'm currently booked in a fully obstructed ocean view on the Volendam. Why did I do it? Because it was a "free upgrade" from an inside cabin.

On the Volendam, on the lower promenade deck, I can just run outside anytime I want some air or a view. There's another poster who says "I have the largest veranda on the ship."

If I were on another ship, like the Oosterdam, with no cabins I can just go outside when I want to, I wouldn't be as happy with it.

IMHO if you have to cut back on your shore excursion budget in Alaska in order to afford a balcony, the balcony is not "worth it". If, however, you can still do everything you want on shore and can afford the balcony in addition to your shore excursions, go for it.

I agree completely. Excursions -- getting off the ship and seeing nature as opposed to the make-believe cruise ship ports -- are the reason for going to Alaska. If you have to cut back, personally I would skip the balcony and spend the money on a floatplane or helicopter adventure instead. But if you can afford the excursions AND a balcony stateroom, then IMO it is definitely worth it.

We sailed the Oosterdam and had an ocean view, and were very satisfied as it rained and was cold when we were in Glacier Bay and sea days. We enjoyed being at sea level and seeing the whales and the different perspectives from the promenade and sky decks. If I go back to Alaska I would do an ocean view again. It was a large window, not a port hole.