Cabin capable of sleeping 3 or 4

bigchid

Hi!

We've been assigned a balcony cabin that says it can sleep 3 or 4 on the Island Princess. Is there a disadvantage with only 2 people? Space occupied by extra beds?

It's for a Panama cruise 1/20/15, so shouldn't be a problem to change.

Thanks

bigchid

no issues...the bed for the 3rf or 4th person come out of the wall or drop from the ceiling....not a worry for you.

Comes out of the wall or mounted on the wall?

If mounted it can be a problem with bumping parts of your body into it.

Hi!

We've been assigned a balcony cabin that says it can sleep 3 or 4 on the Island Princess. Is there a disadvantage with only 2 people? Space occupied by extra beds?

Thanks

bigchid

We found ourselves in a similar situation and asked for advice here about the cabin we were in. We received conflicting information about how big of an issue this is or can be. Some said, as the first to reply to you did, it's no problem since the extra beds are hidden away and not an issue.

Others said they were a real problem since they do not rest flush in the ceiling at all and hang down several inches over the sides of the bed below making it difficult to get in and out of your own bed. They strongly recommended we move.

Also received a photo that seemed to confirm the later opinion. I'll try to locate and link you to that thread where you may see the photo.

In multiple phone calls to Princess we were told the bunks are not an issue and not to worry. After a few days and researching more info we called and had our reservations changed.

Good luck.

Here is the thread I mentioned where I asked the same question back in March and it includes some photos that shed light on at least one type of bunks that do indeed present a problem IMO.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013180

Chris

Those photos show our oceanview cabin's configuration on the Golden Princess in March. After one night we had our cabin steward put the beds into the twin configuration to minimize the chances of bumping our heads. ;)

Those photos show our oceanview cabin's configuration on the Golden Princess in March. After one night we had our cabin steward put the beds into the twin configuration to minimize the chances of bumping our heads. ;)

Sorry but they are from an interior cabin per the poster and I do not see a window that would indicate it was an ocean view.

Sorry but they are from an interior cabin per the poster and I do not see a window that would indicate it was an ocean view.

I knew it was an inside cabin but the configuration is the same as an oceanview cabin except for the beds being under a window instead of a mirror.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I knew it was an inside cabin but the configuration is the same as an oceanview cabin except for the beds being under a window instead of a mirror.

Oh sorry. I understand now. I misunderstood and thought you were waging they were taken in a ocean view.

In any case hope they help the OP.

Oh sorry. I understand now. I misunderstood and thought you were waging they were taken in a ocean view.

In any case hope they help the OP.

I should have been clearer with my post to not cause a misunderstanding & thanks for clarifying it for others. :)

Hi!

Thanks

bigchid

The OP is in a balcony cabin and I believe these all have bunks that come down from the ceiling (not on the walls) and are flush to the ceiling when closed and do not protrude.

Edited by Gettingwarmer

I just checked out the photos from the other thread you posted regarding these extra beds. Do they actually pull out and hang over the queen sized bed below? I'm asking because we are on the Golden and have our two kids in our room. Will they be hanging directly above us? Yikes!

I just checked out the photos from the other thread you posted regarding these extra beds. Do they actually pull out and hang over the queen sized bed below? I'm asking because we are on the Golden and have our two kids in our room. Will they be hanging directly above us? Yikes!

Yes they are in the same footprint as the lower bed.

Island is sister ship to the Coral which I have been on 3x and once with 2 cabin mates. All balcony rooms, twice on Baja deck, once on Aloha. Upper berths are flat/flush to ceiling, you won't even know they're there. They have to be unlocked by the steward with an Allen wrench and if you didn't know what they were, would probably assume they're just some kind of cubby in the ceiling etc.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes...on the Golden if you keep the queen configuration their open upper bunks will be even closer to you than when closed. I'd prefer it in the twin configuration to avoid smacking my head & if in an oceanview cabin able to get to the window.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes they are in the same footprint as the lower bed.

It's going to be very tight quarters at bedtime! In the past we've always had a sofa bed that my kids have shared. They are going to love it when they are hanging above us. Me - not so much!

Yes...on the Golden if you keep the queen configuration their open upper bunks will be even closer to you than when closed. I'd prefer it in the twin configuration to avoid smacking my head & if in an oceanview cabin able to get to the window.

I hope those beds are sturdy if they are directly above me! This may be the last year we squeeze our family of 4 into one room. Next cruise, we may need to splurge for two cabins.

I hope those beds are sturdy if they are directly above me! This may be the last year we squeeze our family of 4 into one room. Next cruise, we may need to splurge for two cabins.

I've never heard of a problem with the upper bunk bed over the lower bunk bed. Based on posts that I've read the configuration can vary by ship or cabin. In a balcony cabin I've seen one upper berth recessed into the ceiling & it's not even noticeable.

Unfortunately unless there was somebody in a specific cabin you were considering you may never know for sure what the set up will be until you get on the ship. Even calling Princess you probably won't get an accurate answer because apparently that information is not in their computer & for the most part would merely be speculation.

Since you're considering getting 2 cabins in the future have you considered getting 1 mini suite? Maybe that would be a less expensive alternative than booking 2 separate cabins. There is a sofa bed that may be able to accommodate 2 people or possibly a rollaway bed. Hopefully somebody will have some personal experiences to share to give you a better idea about your future cruise plans.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Unfortunately unless there was somebody in a specific cabin you were considering you may never know for sure what the set up will be until you get on the ship. Even calling Princess you probably won't get an accurate answer because apparently that information is not in their computer & for the most part would merely be speculation.

I know for a fact that Princess reps have access to charts for each ship that show whether the upper bunks are recessed into the ceiling or bolted to the walls. Now whether the one you get on the phone actually knows that those charts exist is another question... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the answers! I gather that it's no big thing, but we moved anyway.

btw, all the upper bunks on Island/Coral/Sapphire/Diamond are recessed in the ceilings...

Since you're considering getting 2 cabins in the future have you considered getting 1 mini suite? Maybe that would be a less expensive alternative than booking 2 separate cabins. There is a sofa bed that may be able to accommodate 2 people or possibly a rollaway bed. Hopefully somebody will have some personal experiences to share to give you a better idea about your future cruise plans.

Accommodates 1