Comp. Fruit On request?

I can't remember a cruise when we did NOT have grapes in our fruit basket. We always pick at them and steward brings fresh when we have bare stems. :D

[/b]

I'm with you, KK ... I love grapes. But I didn't see them on the checklist for the fruit bowl! I always noted that grapes were the first to spoil, so perhaps that's why. I wonder if I wrote in "grapes" if that'd do anything .... I'll find out in two weeks :)

It never hurts to try -- write them on the list and see what happens.

Grapes don't spoil around us.

When DH gets back from the gym -- he goes at 6 AM -- we both eat grapes while he is cleaning up and then we head out for breakfast.

I can't remember a cruise when we did NOT have grapes in our fruit basket. We always pick at them and steward brings fresh when we have bare stems. :D

[/b]

I've never thought of leaving the bare stems there. I take the grapes, stems and all and throw them away after i eat them. You can break off just a couple grapes at a time if thats more than you can eat. Just to mention again i don't believe grapes are available for anything other than neptune or pinnacle suites.

Edited by cruz chic

I can't recall grapes in the past either, but we did have plenty of grapes on our last cruise when we were in a SB suite.

IMG_6371_zps2eb9e9a6.jpg

We never noticed the basket before it showed up after turn-down on the first night.

And to those who want more ice, request a wine cooler bucket with ice. I do agree that cubes would last much longer, but the chips are more efficient at cooling due to the increased surface area.

Edited by K&RCurt

I've never thought of leaving the bare stems there. I take the grapes, stems and all and throw them away after i eat them. You can break off just a couple grapes at a time if thats more than you can eat. Just to mention again i don't believe grapes are available for anything other than neptune or pinnacle suites.

When we do get grapes, we also throw away the stems. Would never think of leaving the empty stems in the fruit basket.

I can't recall grapes in the past either, but we did have plenty of grapes on our last cruise when we were in a SB suite.

IMG_6371_zps2eb9e9a6.jpg

We never noticed the basket before it showed up after turn-down on the first night.

And to those who want more ice, request a wine cooler bucket with ice. I do agree that cubes would last much longer, but the chips are more efficient at cooling due to the increased surface area.

On one cruise, I had just completed my spinal epidurals and had a constant thirst problem. I also requested a wine bucket. The cabin stewards made certain that it was filled all the time and they took a plate, covered it in a cloth - that was the lid.

IMG_6371_zps2eb9e9a6.jpg

I'd be nervous about using that big ice bucket. Since it's had bottles in there I would worry about it not being clean. I assume that it is cleaned but who knows. The fact that it's open makes me worry. I'm a germaphobe, no doubt about it but I've been sicker than a dog lately so I'm being uber careful.

IMG_6371_zps2eb9e9a6.jpg

That is a mighty pretty fruit basket. Grapes, strawberries and one perfect banana. They could use that photo in the brochure

That is a mighty pretty fruit basket. Grapes, strawberries and one perfect banana. They could use that photo in the brochure

I agree that fruit basket looks beautiful. Even the sides of some of the grapes seem to be 'sugared'. :)

I agree that fruit basket looks beautiful. Even the sides of some of the grapes seem to be 'sugared'. :)

Yudi our Steward must have just put them there right before we came in the cabin. The grapes were still cold and that "sugaring" was condensation. They were Delicious! And the pear was out of this world good and juicy!

And, I almost hate to say this CruizChic, but part of my work requirements are to be trained in food safety. The LAST thing you need to worry about with ice from industrial / commercial ice machines is the cleanliness of the bucket you put it in. :eek:

Edited by K&RCurt

I would also like to see ice cubes and BIGGER ice buckets!!

Our experience is that Room Stewards wait until you eat all of the fruit before replacing it UNLESS you tell them the first day what you want. We tell the Room Steward "only grapes" on embarkation day and it has always worked (until the ship runs out of them) for the rest of the cruise.

We ask our Room Steward for a sparkling wine ice bucket and to have it filled during the morning cleanup, just before they go off duty (usually around 2:00 PM), and during evening turn down. This schedule has worked for both us and our Room Stewards on all of our cruises.

And, I almost hate to say this CruizChic, but part of my work requirements are to be trained in food safety. The LAST thing you need to worry about with ice from industrial / commercial ice machines is the cleanliness of the bucket you put it in. :eek:

hahaha - so true. I get ice from the machine at work sometimes and it is a scary thing - the scoops are laying up on the top of the machine, people hold the door open with their body and dig into the ice or just scoop their glass into the ice instead of using the scoop

Last employer had a dispensing machine - which I guess is somewhat better but unless it is frequently serviced/cleaner just imagine what can be growing in there. As much as disposable plastic bottles of water are maligned....I'd prefer to use them at work.

OK, now I'm scared:D. Came back from the Westy with the cold from hello. I'm now on antibiotic and an inhaler. I'd hate to see how sick I'd be if I wasn't so uptight about germs.

Our experience is that Room Stewards wait until you eat all of the fruit before replacing it UNLESS you tell them the first day what you want. We tell the Room Steward "only grapes" on embarkation day and it has always worked (until the ship runs out of them) for the rest of the cruise.

I've never told any of mine and they have always been refilled before empty.

[quote name='Mytime2014']hahaha - so true. I get ice from the machine at work sometimes and it is a scary thing - the scoops are laying up on the top of the machine, people hold the door open with their body and dig into the ice or just scoop their glass into the ice instead of using the scoop

[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm glad pax don't have access to the ice (or shouldn't anyway) on a ship.

I have had one cold in the last 4 years, and I am anything [I]BUT[/I] a germaphobe. I think people worry too much and lose their immune system. Working in an elementary school library I have built up a strong immune system. I've been retired 7 years and still barely ever get ill.

[quote name='nana51']I have had one cold in the last 4 years, and I am anything [I]BUT[/I] a germaphobe. I think people worry too much and lose their immune system. Working in an elementary school library I have built up a strong immune system. I've been retired 7 years and still barely ever get ill.[/QUOTE]

I think you have a point BUT if you are retired you are not taking public transit twice a day or around 60 people on a daily basis. When you are not around people how would you get sick:confused:. Generally when my coworkers get sick I don't so I think being a germaphobe does help. When I see how dirty some people are it makes me shudder.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]I would also like to see ice cubes and BIGGER ice buckets!![/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I think that I have finally solved the ice problem, I keep the bucket, when filled, in the refrigerator. Lasts a long time that way. Next time, I'm going to have them clear out the fridge of their bottles/cans. I made room for the bucket.

I also request from the steward, on day one, that we have a standing ice delivery at 4:30 p.m. This seems to work. I leave a note on the tray that the ice bucket is in the fridge because different folks deliver the ice from day to day.

If I'm there, I give them a gratuity ($2). Sometimes, I leave the $$ stuck in the ice bucket. They are very appreciative. Edited by Skipper's Mom

[quote name='joeyillinois']I just noticed that the room info for the room states - complimentary fruit upon request. Is this something we will have to do when we arrive. Ask the steward or did I miss something when we booked?[/QUOTE]

Wait! Is this all staterooms? Or just the suites?

[quote name='Shmoo here'][IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/33v0rok.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/15q6fqp.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

The longer the cruise the worse the bananas get - to a point where they shouldn't have been delivered to the room. The pastry chef should have made banana muffins:D

[quote name='cp556']I'm with you, KK ... I love grapes. But I didn't see them on the checklist for the fruit bowl! I always noted that grapes were the first to spoil, so perhaps that's why. I wonder if I wrote in "grapes" if that'd do anything .... I'll find out in two weeks :)[/QUOTE]

They always did for us carol. If you hand write something in, just like with the room service menu, if it's possible and reasonable they'll do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've never had a problem getting the fruit I requested on the form in the basket. In fact, my stewards were almost in tears when we left Rio last year and some of the supplies we were to take on didn't make it. (A snafu because of Carnaval.) They appologized for days that they couldn't get oranges. Wasn't their fault.

[quote name='Sue from Canada']The longer the cruise the worse the bananas get - to a point where they shouldn't have been delivered to the room. The pastry chef should have made banana muffins:D[/QUOTE]

Is that ever the truth. I don't eat bananas often but I like them with a little green on them. They never seem to be that way. Sometimes the bananas are rotten.