There IS HOPE. I got the $100 Penalty fee reversed!!!!

SO last week I posted about how I switched a booking to a different, longer cruise (from Inspiration to Freedom), and since I had originally booked under the "Kids Sail Free" deal, I was being charged $100 penalty because the fine print on the offer read "changes MAY result in a fee".

So I debated whether or not to fight the fee. Many of you posted, some said I should try, others said no. Well, I figured it never hurts to try, and $100 is $100, so I just called, and guess what:

THEY REVERSED IT!!:D:cool:

I know it's only $100, but I feel like I won the lotto!! Thanks to everyone who posted the other day on this issue, it really helped!!

So, if you have also made a change and been charged that fee, please make the call. It's only 10 minutes out of your day, and it may just save you $100!!!:D

That's awesome! :D

I had switched us from the Kids Free as well but the rep didn't mention a fee. I guess it depends on who answers the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was being charged $100 penalty because the fine print on the offer read "changes MAY result in a fee".

So, if you have also made a change and been charged that fee, please make the call. It's only 10 minutes out of your day, and it may just save you $100!!!:D

May doesn't mean WILL! It could mean they MAY NOT keep the charge. Good job on making the call, $100 is not chump change and good on you for reclaiming it.

Apparently one huge thing that Carnival and Royal DO have in common is that you can make 10 calls and get 10 different answers! I guess you can always keep calling and hope you get the right answer eventually! I'm just excited that I got the right answer on my first call!!!

We booked while onboard...and were told it was not an early saver, etc etc. Imagine my dismay when we were charged $50 per person to move our cruise. :-( I tried to fight it, but the lady wouldn't budge. (Of course, we lost our on board credit too.)

Anyways, so today I am getting my binder ready for our upcoming cruise (I carry all important info, documents, etc in one binder.) And lo and behold, i sww my previous notes I had taken while we were booking and the man who booked our cruise told me there would be NO CHANGE FEE! I remember now even asking about this because, with my husband being active duty, we have an especially hard time booking trips in advance.

So since I am sure they won't take my notes as proof, I give up. Out $400! I know darn well next time I won't believe what the onboard booking person says and just know exactly the cruise we want to book onboard and get all the facts myself before hand.

OP- I am glad you got someone willing to listen!:)

The most interesting part of the story is that Jerry, the man that charged me the $100, said something so odd. He said "I could reverse the charge, but I don't want to stick my neck out and get reamed ". Made it should like he was afraid that his superiors discourage taking off the charge. But when I spoke to Crystal, who did reverse it, she said that some agents don't have the power to do it but others,like her, can. Who knows what the truth really is??

We booked while onboard...and were told it was not an early saver, etc etc. Imagine my dismay when we were charged $50 per person to move our cruise. :-( I tried to fight it, but the lady wouldn't budge. (Of course, we lost our on board credit too.)

Anyways, so today I am getting my binder ready for our upcoming cruise (I carry all important info, documents, etc in one binder.) And lo and behold, i sww my previous notes I had taken while we were booking and the man who booked our cruise told me there would be NO CHANGE FEE! I remember now even asking about this because, with my husband being active duty, we have an especially hard time booking trips in advance.

So since I am sure they won't take my notes as proof, I give up. Out $400! I know darn well next time I won't believe what the onboard booking person says and just know exactly the cruise we want to book onboard and get all the facts myself before hand.

OP- I am glad you got someone willing to listen!:)

I 'lost" my OBC once too. CC folks told me to let Carnival know it was a mistake, don't lose OBC for booking onboard. I called back and it was recredited. CALL!

I booked Military while on a Carnival ship for a cruise to take place several months later. During that time, the price dropped 3 times. My TA called Carnival and got the price decreases but I lost the $100 OBC. Later I learned on Cruise Critic that that should not have happened. I called Carnival again and got an Agent who said I should not have lost the credit. She said they were confusing buying a cruise while on a cruise with the Future Cruise Certificate (No longer sold). She told me to call my TA back and they called Carnival and explained the situation. The next day, the $100 OBC was reinstated on my Cruise Records. I was told you should not lose that type of OBC for legitimate price decreases.

[i 'lost" my OBC once too. CC folks told me to let Carnival know it was a mistake, don't lose OBC for booking onboard. I called back and it was recredited. CALL!/QUOTE]

I lost the OBC because we cancelled that one cruise (that we booked while onboard) and moved it to a different date. (It is considered canceling and then booking a new cruise to Carnival.)