Clock in room?

I really wish people would wear watches. I get asked often what the time is. Is it really that difficult to wear a watch?

Simple solutions - either tell them to go out and buy a watch or give them the wrong time. If enough of us watch wearers (I feel naked w/o one), they would stop asking.

I do not understand the idea that because I have a cell phone, I do not need a watch. If I have a watch, I just look down on it to find the time. If I use my cell phone, I have to take it out of my pocket, activate the screen, and then return it to my pocket. Which is easier?

DON

Simple solutions - either tell them to go out and buy a watch or give them the wrong time. If enough of us watch wearers (I feel naked w/o one), they would stop asking.

I do not understand the idea that because I have a cell phone, I do not need a watch. If I have a watch, I just look down on it to find the time. If I use my cell phone, I have to take it out of my pocket, activate the screen, and then return it to my pocket. Which is easier?

DON

Exactly! I hate my cell phone so it's never on. I know some people are completely in love with their phone and it never leaves their hand. I find that odd. I feel naked without my watch too.

There are no clocks on any cruise line ships in cabins ..Except river cruises..

There is an alarm clock in every cabin on Crystal. It lights up at night and is not glued down.

Exactly! I hate my cell phone so it's never on. I know some people are completely in love with their phone and it never leaves their hand. I find that odd. I feel naked without my watch too.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't feel dressed without my watch and go months without switching on my phone. I don't want to be speaking to people on the phone when out and about - leave me in peace:cool:

We also have a LLBean travel alarm clock that lives in our suitcase. It seems to me that when we travel in the US the hotels and motels have alarm clocks but I'm not so sure about Europe. I don't think we have had clocks in our room on our last precruise trips. Maybe they are in the TV but that doesn't give you an alarm. Maybe I was just so jet lagged that I didn't notice.

I really wish people would wear watches. I get asked often what the time is. Is it really that difficult to wear a watch?

I haven't worn a watch in years because I have an allergy to some metals. The watch back would cause my skin to break out in a itchy red rash. So there are other reasons than laziness for not wearing a watch.

Yes, it is difficult for me to wear a watch. If you saw my wrist after wearing one you would run the other way assuming I had a very contagious skin disease! :eek: If it's not at least 100% 14-kt gold, my body rejects it. I do have a pocket watch that I can keep in my purse for when I absolutely have to have one. But I'm retired now, so that doesn't happen often.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Yes, it is difficult for me to wear a watch. If you saw my wrist after wearing one you would run the other way assuming I had a very contagious skin disease! :eek: If it's not at least 100% 14-kt gold, my body rejects it. I do have a pocket watch that I can keep in my purse for when I absolutely have to have one. But I'm retired now, so that doesn't happen often.

I can understand that some folks do have medical reasons. There are always exceptions. That said, it seems that many, many people depend on their gadgets and then ask what time it is. I must wish more people would put their gadgets away for just a few hours a day. I just wish people could see what they look like with their face glued to their phone 24/7.

Edited by cruz chic

I can understand that some folks do have medical reasons. There are always exceptions. That said, it seems that many, many people depend on their gadgets and then ask what time it is. I must wish more people would put their gadgets away for just a few hours a day. I just wish people could see what they look like with their face glued to their phone 24/7.

Couldn't agree more with you on that! Sometimes DH and I are out to eat and we look around the restaurant and start laughing ... because all you can see are eyes staring at tech gadgets. It is pretty funny when you get a whole room full!

Couldn't agree more with you on that! Sometimes DH and I are out to eat and we look around the restaurant and start laughing ... because all you can see are eyes staring at tech gadgets. It is pretty funny when you get a whole room full!

You realize they are all texting about you...?

Most ships do not have clocks in most cabins.

Those cruise lines that tried to put clocks in cabins had them all quickly stolen by passengers.

I worked for one cruise line that tried to place alarm clocks in all staterooms.

They all disappeared in one week.

Then we bought 220 volt alarm clocks that would not work in America.

They all disappeared in one week

Then we hard-wired them into the walls and placed signs warning that the 220 volt clocks would not work in America.

We tried one more time, super-glueing the clocks to the top of the bedside table.

The passengers pried them off the tables, destroying the table tops.

We gave up.

Been there, bought the tee shirt, as well. The one thing I miss is seeing the faces of those who took 220v clocks or appliances off the ship, and having them plug them in at home, and seeing the display go blank, or the appliance turn into a puddle of melted plastic.

What one poster mentioned about the automatic advancing of the clocks in the Neptune suites is another reason that there are not clocks in every cabin. Those suite clocks are tied into the ship's master clock system, which is updated daily by one of the bridge officers. Electric clocks use the frequency of the power supply to provide the "tick" (50 or 60 cycles/second). Unlike ashore where the power grid has a virtually stable frequency, the ship's power varies slightly (a 60 cycle ship will run 59.5 to 60.5 cycles for most of the day, and can fluctuate down to 58.5 and up to 62 cycles when a large consumer is started (think bow thrusters). These fluctuations cause the plugged in clocks (as well as the ship's master clocks) to run slower or faster than desired, gaining or losing time over the day. This is why (in addition to the limited number of outlets), why battery clocks are recommended.

Most ships do not have clocks in most cabins.

Those cruise lines that tried to put clocks in cabins had them all quickly stolen by passengers.

I worked for one cruise line that tried to place alarm clocks in all staterooms.

Then we bought 220 volt alarm clocks that would not work in America.

They all disappeared in one week

Then we hard-wired them into the walls and placed signs warning that the 220 volt clocks would not work in America.

We tried one more time, super-glueing the clocks to the top of the bedside table.

The passengers pried them off the tables, destroying the table tops.

We gave up.

Oh really. You're telling us that in EVERY cabin on a particular cruise, at least one of the occupants in each cabin was a thief and EVERY clock was stolen? And on subsequent cruises the same theft occurred in EVERY cabin? Unless these cruises were the "Sing Sing Charter Cruises" I believe some exaggeration is at play.

Oh really. You're telling us that in EVERY cabin on a particular cruise, at least one of the occupants in each cabin was a thief and EVERY clock was stolen? And on subsequent cruises the same theft occurred in EVERY cabin? Unless these cruises were the "Sing Sing Charter Cruises" I believe some exaggeration is at play.

Ya Think??

I find your tone offensive and bullying, is it an addition to this conversation?

You seem angry, maybe you should get some sleep and try again tomorrow.:D

Edited by sammygoose
grammar

I find your tone offensive and bullying, is it an addition to this conversation?

You seem angry, maybe you should get some sleep and try again tomorrow.:D

I'd hit the red triangle if you are so inclined.

I'd hit the red triangle if you are so inclined.

Good point CC. I just want the previous posters who take the time to share their insights that I stand with them instead of hiding behind the triangle.

Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the inflammatory posters handle. Mudscrapers. No agenda there. :p

Also, apparently all the thieves are Americans. :rolleyes: Anyone who reads brucemuzz's posts on a regular basis knows that he has a great dislike of "North Americans", as he puts it.

The last time I wore a watch on the ship, i forgot I was wearing it and took it for a little swim:(. Not a good thing

Ouch! We bought a cheap $10 watch and attached it to the strap of our beach bag. It's one of the black rubber digital watches. It's going on 7 years old and still going strong. When we have to replace the battery, the value of the watch jumps 40%.