Apartment Rental By Owner, Any Thoughts?

We just booked accommodations for our stay in Sydney, pre cruise. Many people we know suggested checking out Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) and World Apartments to find nice places to stay. We found one particular apartment that looked perfect for our needs, 4 adults, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, balconies, full kitchen, washer and dryer in the unit. We booked it for 5 nights. The cost was so reasonable compared to hotel prices, only AU$250 a night. We are sharing this cost between 2couples, so really only $125 a night for us. It's in Pyrmont very near Blackwattle Bay. When looking at a map, this looks like a good location. Hopefully we'll be able to get around using the transit system. There's a light rail station very close by.

I'm a little nervous about it booking accommodations this way since I have never use a service like this before. Have you ever used one of these services when traveling? What was your experience like?

We booked a flat in London for a week, and really liked it. That way we could make our own breakfasts.

We also have booked a condo on Kauai 3 times and really liked it.

We were thinking a long the lines of having some of our meals in. We certainly want to enjoy some of Sydney's restaurants, but I don't want to eat out for every meal. Plus I like to relax in the morning, lounging around in my pjs with my coffee.

Edited by RumpunchGirl

We were thinking a long the lines of having some of our meals in. We certainly want to enjoy some of Sydney's restaurants, but I don't want to eat out for every meal. Plus I like to relax in the morning, lounging around in my pjs with my coffee.

It is a great way to have a base while expolring the city and having that little more room (a lounge usually) to entertain and relax in the evenings while catering for yourself much more cheaply. We do this often especially when travelling with other couples.:D

Pyrmont is fairly handy to everything especially as you are close to a light rail station. Hopefully you'll also be close to the Fish Markets, and if you're not there is a Fish Market light rail station.

As well as being able to buy beautiful seafood at the fish markets, there is an excellent deli which should have most of the basics you need for cooking in, a greengrocer, a bread shop, and a liquor/wine store. Note: the Fish Market shops open early and close around 4pm.

If you love seafood you can buy a full range of raw seafood including freshly shucked oysters and sashimi grade fish (no cooking required). Also cooked lobster, prawns, and Australia's famous bugs. Bugs - Balmain bugs or Morton Bay bugs - are a type of slipper lobster and are delicious.

We often choose apartments when travelling. So much nicer to be able to have a slow start in the mornings without having to battle a hotel breakfast buffet with bad tea and coffee.

Pyrmont is fairly handy to everything especially as you are close to a light rail station. Hopefully you'll also be close to the Fish Markets, and if you're not there is a Fish Market light rail station.

As well as being able to buy beautiful seafood at the fish markets, there is an excellent deli which should have most of the basics you need for cooking in, a greengrocer, a bread shop, and a liquor/wine store. Note: the Fish Market shops open early and close around 4pm.

If you love seafood you can buy a full range of raw seafood including freshly shucked oysters and sashimi grade fish (no cooking required). Also cooked lobster, prawns, and Australia's famous bugs. Bugs - Balmain bugs or Morton Bay bugs - are a type of slipper lobster and are delicious.

We often choose apartments when travelling. So much nicer to be able to have a slow start in the mornings without having to battle a hotel breakfast buffet with bad tea and coffee.

Thanks for whetting my appetite, now I want seafood for lunch.;)

We have booked apartments and houses that way, no problems, never met the owners, all done via email and monies paid electronically. Twice in that very area, I love the area even though it's old. We've walked into the city, taken the light rail, taken the bus. The public transport is easy to use, buy ticket card at local shops.

I love it, depending how the place is situated you can overlook the city, pretty lights at night. Pyrmont bridge is very busy, sit and watch the traffic day and night.

Now I would not entertain a hotel when going to Sydney.

We do this in any place we are staying for more than 1 night. We have only be duped once, by a company in Dubai. I blame myself for not doing enough background work.

So my advice is to check reviews on the apartment and the booking company. Just google the address and/or the company and type the word review with it.....should reveal all!!

Hello Steve if you are still checking this thread. Hope all is good with you and Kathy.

Edited by Fletch1

Hopefully we didn't make a mistake booking through the World Apartments website. Our friends actual found the website but the apartment we rented is also listed on VRBO. We were having a terrible time getting an email response from the VRBO site. Then our friends found the same property on the World Apartment site where it could be booked online immediately, so they did. We received and 8 page document with a the specifics, phone numbers, policies , addresses, etc. It's paid in full on a credit card. I just can't seem to find any reviews about this company anywhere. Well, if we get scammed, anyone want to take us in for a few days?:D

Hopefully we didn't make a mistake booking through the World Apartments website. Our friends actual found the website but the apartment we rented is also listed on VRBO. We were having a terrible time getting an email response from the VRBO site. Then our friends found the same property on the World Apartment site where it could be booked online immediately, so they did. We received and 8 page document with a the specifics, phone numbers, policies , addresses, etc. It's paid in full on a credit card. I just can't seem to find any reviews about this company anywhere. Well, if we get scammed, anyone want to take us in for a few days?:D

I think you will be fine, if you need a place I would offer but we are a bit far from the Harbour.:D

You should be OK. Many online booking sites require payment at time of booking. If it's the apartment on Wattle St, Pyrmont, it's a good location although there may be a bit of traffic noise at peak hours. Very close to the Fish Markets so you'll be able to provision up easily.

I'm in Sydney so if you're really worried I could give you my contact details in case of emergency if you like. Sometimes it helps to have access to someone local.

You should be OK. Many online booking sites require payment at time of booking. If it's the apartment on Wattle St, Pyrmont, it's a good location although there may be a bit of traffic noise at peak hours. Very close to the Fish Markets so you'll be able to provision up easily.

I'm in Sydney so if you're really worried I could give you my contact details in case of emergency if you like. Sometimes it helps to have access to someone local.

That is a kind offer. :D

That is very kind and thank you for the offer. Our friend we are traveling with has been all over the world for his job. Although he has never been to Australia, he is not worried so I'm just going to follow his lead on this. But, If we have questions or need advice once we arrive, I'll be posting here!

Thanks everyone for all the good info. I still have a few more questions for all of you, stand by..........

That is very kind and thank you for the offer. Our friend we are traveling with has been all over the world for his job. Although he has never been to Australia, he is not worried so I'm just going to follow his lead on this. But, If we have questions or need advice once we arrive, I'll be posting here!

Thanks everyone for all the good info. I still have a few more questions for all of you, stand by..........

It is good that you are travelling with someone that is experienced although that doesn't always help. I am sure it will work out fine and we will be waiting for your questions.:D