Exchanging currency on ship?

We will be up in the Baltics with 5 different currencies! Yikes! On Royal Caribbean. We are taking some of each from our bank, as I don't want to deal with finding ATMs and worrying about whether my card will work (as it does not have the European chip in the ATM card).

If I have leftover currency, say Krona, Rubles, etc., will the shop exchange it for USD? How much will they exchange? Is there a fee?

Thanks!

As this is specific to RCI, I would be asking on the RCI board. Most cruise lines do exchange money, but the exchange rate won't be good. And changing it back doubles the penalties of bad exchange rates.

You ATM doesn't have to have a chip in Europe, and ATMs will give you the best rate. My ATM hasn't been rejected in over 20 uses in Europe in the last 5 years.

I suspect the boat's rates will not be as good as what you will get at each cruise terminal. this is where I plan to exchange my money each time we arrive at port. for CPH, where we embark I will exchange at the airport.

yes, you can exchange money back to USD - but only bills. coins you your new souvenirs... and you will suffer loss due to fees/poor rates.

As mentioned, the rate will be horrible, and there's always a chance they won't have the currency you need.

You'll see plenty of ATMs in every city and town you visit. But use your CC for purchases for the best exchange rates and lowest risk of having currency left over

I think it's better to take the cash you'll need because each time you use an ATM there will likely be a fee. I am pretty sure my BofA card has a $5 fee each time used at an international ATM. but then it DOES save you the hassle of exchanging the money. either way is good.

Our bank get currency for us before each trip for a small fee and with a good exchange rate. One fee for as many different currencies as you like in a single order. We usually get at least some for each country just to have some on the first day. You can just about guess how much you'll need per day.

We have also gotten small amounts onboard but the rate is terrible as already stated.

Another idea, if you are doing organized private or group tours, is to use your leftover local currency for your guide/driver tips.

ATM's really are very plentiful in those cities, but do be sure of your bank fees for withdrawals as they can add up very quickly. There are several banks that have no fees and have been mentioned in a number of threads (capital one 360, charles schwab are the ones I use and can think of. There are more).

They will exchange it for you, and there aren't any limits in general (maybe if you tried changing $10000 worth...!).

The rate isn't great, but isn't significantly different to other currency exchange places. As you'd likely only be changing small amounts, any difference in cost is likely to be within a couple of dollars. Rather than running around, and spending valuable time queuing ashore, I'd say the time saving is worth it.

There's no separate fee, they just use a rate. Another benefit is you can do it all at once, e.g. at the end of the cruise. As they're different currencies, if you want to change back at a shoreside booth, you'll have to do it in every city, or wear the double conversion if you wait to the end.

The conversion booth will only change involving local currency. e.g. if you're in Amsterdam and want to change your Danish kroner to USD, the booth will change the DKK to EUR first, then the EUR to USD, so you'll be doubly hit by exchange rates.

There is no general rule. Each cruise line makes their own rates and fees.

We sailed NCL a few years ago and they charged $10 fee for each exchange. So if you wanted to exchange $50 in 3 different currencies the fee would be $30. AND if you wanted to exchange it back, an other $30. Also, as several have said just a terrible exchange rate. Do the ATMs or start out with several of the currencies. We did it from our local bank, Chase, and they charged no fees for this.

Cheers

Len

We will be up in the Baltics with 5 different currencies! Yikes! On Royal Caribbean. We are taking some of each from our bank, as I don't want to deal with finding ATMs and worrying about whether my card will work (as it does not have the European chip in the ATM card).

If I have leftover currency, say Krona, Rubles, etc., will the shop exchange it for USD? How much will they exchange? Is there a fee?

Thanks!

If anyone has done this cruise, do you know if US Dollars are accepted by the tour guides and drivers?? Also in the markets in ST. Petersburg, will the vendors accept Dollars or will we have to use Rubles??? I just don't want to have to purchase all those different currencies.

If anyone has done this cruise, do you know if US Dollars are accepted by the tour guides and drivers?? Also in the markets in ST. Petersburg, will the vendors accept Dollars or will we have to use Rubles??? I just don't want to have to purchase all those different currencies.

Do you mean tour guides and drivers in SPB, or everywhere? In SPB, yes, if you mean the other countries, they'll probably accept for tips, but local currency will be more popular, especially Germany/Euro countries. That said, it's a tip, and have you ever seen a tip (that's not insulting) refused?

On our tour we didn't go to any markets in SPB, and didn't see any.

The guide did drop us at souvenir shops on request, and they do accept foreign currency, but at a standard conversion rate. You may be able to get better rates by using a credit card.