Review-MSC Divina Cruise 4-26-14

Mrs. Squirrel

Exiting the gated port area. Both sides of the walkway are lined with historical info about Falmouth. The last one on the right highlights Usain Bolt. They are understandably very proud of him in Jamaica!

DSC_0350_zps581a665a.jpg?t=1399900852

Entering downtown Falmouth

DSC_0351_zpsf15af632.jpg?t=1399900886

How far from the exit gates of the port facility is downtown Falmouth? If we take a taxi to Downtown Falmouth, how long will the ride be? More than 15 minutes?

How far from the exit gates of the port facility is downtown Falmouth? If we take a taxi to Downtown Falmouth, how long will the ride be? More than 15 minutes?

When you exit the port (1st pic), you cross the street and are in Falmouth (2nd pic). The town square is only a couple blocks forward and a block or two to the right. No cab is needed.

If mobility is an issue, I did see a tram inside the port area which I assume was taking guests from the shopping area to the port exit.

Many thanks Jayne for your great review, I only came across it a couple of days ago but have loved reading it. A little sorry now we didn't book the Davina for this September. We looked at this ship and the Regal Princess, our TA advised us against the Davina as she had heard bad reports. With this in mind and wondering about the weather in the Caribbean at this time of year, we plumed for the Regal. (Have had a holiday to the Caribbean cancelled a few years ago because of a hurricane, so left us a little wary). Will defiantly look at sailing her next year, you have really wetted my appetite to go back to the Caribbean. :D

Jayne, thank you for such an extensive review. We are going back and forth on another NCL sailing and The Divina. Just got off Getaway, stayed in The Haven. Looking at The Yacht Club on Divina. I think I've made up my mind, now just have to get DW to drink the cool-aid..lol.. I know you didn't stay in The Yacht Club but if you've heard anything please let us know. Again, thanks for the review and getting an NCL Platinum member to try something different (I hope)..;)

When you exit the port (1st pic), you cross the street and are in Falmouth (2nd pic). The town square is only a couple blocks forward and a block or two to the right. No cab is needed.

If mobility is an issue, I did see a tram inside the port area which I assume was taking guests from the shopping area to the port exit.

Thanks. We are going to Falmouth in November. Looking forward to it.

Many thanks Jayne for your great review, I only came across it a couple of days ago but have loved reading it. A little sorry now we didn't book the Davina for this September. We looked at this ship and the Regal Princess, our TA advised us against the Davina as she had heard bad reports. With this in mind and wondering about the weather in the Caribbean at this time of year, we plumed for the Regal. (Have had a holiday to the Caribbean cancelled a few years ago because of a hurricane, so left us a little wary). Will defiantly look at sailing her next year, you have really wetted my appetite to go back to the Caribbean. :D

You are most welcome. Yes, September can be dicey for the Caribbean. I have had three of my past cruises (end of August through September) effected by hurricane season with port changes, embarkation delays and route maneuvers, but never a cancel yet. . .knock on wood. I hope you do get to give Divina a try in the future.

Jayne, thank you for such an extensive review. We are going back and forth on another NCL sailing and The Divina. Just got off Getaway, stayed in The Haven. Looking at The Yacht Club on Divina. I think I've made up my mind, now just have to get DW to drink the cool-aid..lol.. I know you didn't stay in The Yacht Club but if you've heard anything please let us know. Again, thanks for the review and getting an NCL Platinum member to try something different (I hope)..;)

Thank you for your nice comments.

Most everything I have read and heard onboard about Divina's Yacht Club was very positive. I do not think you would find it a step-down from NCL's Haven at all. Maybe even a step up. I would try it before the prices rise.

I think the biggest adjustment for any NCL cruiser is giving up Freestyle cruising. That having been said, from what I've read about Breakaway, Getaway, and what we experienced on Epic, some of the Freestyle experience is lost on the big ships by having to plan out the shows and some of the dining ahead of time. Add to this UDP's popularity and NCL's recent decision to let reservations be made in the MDR's, I really hope that they don't loose what makes Freestyle so different and so special.

I have truly enjoyed reading your review and I know we will have a great time on the Divina in October. We booked because of the great rates at the time and then started reading the reviews and started to wonder about this cruise. We had determined that we were going to have a good attitude no matter what and we were going to enjoy the cruise.

We take cruises to get away from the everyday routine and spend quality time together (hubby and me) and normally are very casual on cruises and just go with the flow. We enjoy spending time on our veranda reading, enjoying the view, people watching while at port, etc. So we figured it would be fine no matter what. I thought: "I will not have to make the bed, clean the bathroom, cook or wash dishes for a week... how bad can that be". LOL :-).

Now after reading your review, and many others, I believe we are going to have a terrific time!

Thank you for taking the time to write it and for all of the great information and photos.

Olivia

We are booked on the same sailing, we too were beginning to worry as we have 9 of us booked all together. Though my mother has sailed with MSC twice before, the rest of us have not. Really we aren't all that picky. Mostly my father is a bit annoyed at no soda package that is reasonable in the cost. Most cruises are around $55-60 for the week, and they don't offer a soda package for adults. So in the end the extras are coming out a bit higher, but overall I think still a good bargain. It is nice reading a good review.

Personally I plan on having a good time and am saving up my bucks for a little spending money, shore excursions, etc.

Mostly my father is a bit annoyed at no soda package that is reasonable in the cost. Most cruises are around $55-60 for the week, and they don't offer a soda package for adults.

Not sure what price you are looking for but they do offer a 15 voucher soda package for $30. (You can buy more than one.) At $2 per soda, not a terrific deal but it will save you some money. It's Special Service item #666W14 if you need to order from your TA or MSC.

Bret

We are booked on the same sailing, we too were beginning to worry as we have 9 of us booked all together. Though my mother has sailed with MSC twice before, the rest of us have not. Really we aren't all that picky. Mostly my father is a bit annoyed at no soda package that is reasonable in the cost. Most cruises are around $55-60 for the week, and they don't offer a soda package for adults. So in the end the extras are coming out a bit higher, but overall I think still a good bargain. It is nice reading a good review.

Personally I plan on having a good time and am saving up my bucks for a little spending money, shore excursions, etc.

Looking forward to meeting you mom2tcdx2. I need to look into the beverage packages. I do not drink much and my husband does enjoy a drink or two a day so not sure we are the best candidates for the drink packages, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

I do have one question: does MSC allow passengers to bring celebratory wine? Does anyone know? Celebrity does allow a bottle per cabin. I normally bring in one bottle as I enjoy my Moscato D'asti and a bottle lasts me most of the week.:).

So ready to go!!

Olivia

Not sure what price you are looking for but they do offer a 15 voucher soda package for $30. (You can buy more than one.) At $2 per soda, not a terrific deal but it will save you some money. It's Special Service item #666W14 if you need to order from your TA or MSC.

Bret

We are aware of the vouchers, though it wasn't what he was looking for. All the other lines have a package around $57 for the week that includes unlimited sodas. Just a little sticker on the card. He didn't want to have to worry about vouchers or how many he can drink. Same with my son, who only would be drinking sodas. In the end I am paying at least $90 to do 6 sodas a day. Which on the other lines is usually a glass, if they get the whole can then my son could do 2 with each meal. Not counting any others he could drink during the day. Yes I also know that many sodas isn't good for anyone, but it is what they drink.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

• 4 months later...

Mrs. Squirrel my fellow Hoosier. I live in southern Indiana just across the big river from Louisville. (the sunny side of the Ohio). I am a first time cruiser and will be going on the Divina on the K-Love cruise January 13-17. I am a totally excited 50 yr old newbie.:D This is my gift to myself. I have wanted to go on a cruise for so long. Oh my gosh I can hardly stand it only a month away. With your review it seems like I have already gone on my first cruise. :) I think that with the Christian music artists on board there might not be the same entertainment as you all had. :confused: There are a ton of questions I have but don't want to write a book on here. I do have one question what is freestyling? I am so glad that I found you because people were saying such bad things. I am pretty laid back person, this cruise is one of my bucket lists and there are 3 more things I am wanting to do on this trip, swim with the dolphins, play with the sea lions and parasail. All else is just toppings. :)

Thank you for such an extensive review, i was going to do one but like you I was so tired after the cruise and had so much other things to do I haven't gotten around to it.

I too had reservations about the ship because of the reviews but I loved it when I got on board and I miss her a lot.

the ship is so beautiful I really love the mermaids on the aft deck. I especially loved all the beautiful waterfalls.

Thank you very much. I'm really a royal caribbean fan but i am trying Divina next month in a quick 3 nights itinerary and I might love the ship but the fact that getting a table for 2 is almost impossible will always always stop me from booking with msc in the future 😔

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are aware of the vouchers, though it wasn't what he was looking for. All the other lines have a package around $57 for the week that includes unlimited sodas. Just a little sticker on the card. He didn't want to have to worry about vouchers or how many he can drink. Same with my son, who only would be drinking sodas. In the end I am paying at least $90 to do 6 sodas a day. Which on the other lines is usually a glass, if they get the whole can then my son could do 2 with each meal. Not counting any others he could drink during the day. Yes I also know that many sodas isn't good for anyone, but it is what they drink.

Vouchers are the only thing used on MSC - they do not do the stickers on the cards. They have a package called More or Less Zero Proof Pass (#539) which includes: Beverage card for 18 consumptions in bar, restaurant and self-service buffet. The package is valid for all non-alcoholic cocktails, smoothies and milkshakes, canned soft drinks, mineral water,

fruit juices, wide selection of coffee-based delights, premium teas, hot chocolate delights, as well as take-away ice cream in a cone or cup. The price pre-cruise is $42 which comes to a little over $2 per item - not sure how much it is if you wait to purchase it on-board.

Marianne

Thank you very much. I'm really a royal caribbean fan but i am trying Divina next month in a quick 3 nights itinerary and I might love the ship but the fact that getting a table for 2 is almost impossible will always always stop me from booking with msc in the future 😔

Getting a table for 2 is certainly possible -- we had one on our Sept. cruise. The trick is to put in the request as soon as you board the ship. We were on the ship pretty early and had to wait until 1pm to make the request. We showed up at the dining room about 10 mins early, but at that time there was a line of about 10 people. We requested a table for 2, early seating and was told that we were waitlisted. We ate at a table for 6 (only 1 other couple showed up) the first night, but got a note the next morning that we had our table for 2. It wasn't the most ideal table because it was next to where the waiters sit the trays down and make final preparations prior to serving, but it wasn't bad at all (just a little noisier) and we were the first ones served.

We easily ate in less than 1 hour and got to the entertainment showing that was meant for the late diners. This meant that we were free to relax, go to bed, hit the jacuzzi (which I did a couple of evenings), or whatever by 8pm.

Vouchers are the only thing used on MSC - they do not do the stickers on the cards. They have a package called More or Less Zero Proof Pass (#539) which includes: Beverage card for 18 consumptions in bar, restaurant and self-service buffet. The package is valid for all non-alcoholic cocktails, smoothies and milkshakes, canned soft drinks, mineral water,

fruit juices, wide selection of coffee-based delights, premium teas, hot chocolate delights, as well as take-away ice cream in a cone or cup. The price pre-cruise is $42 which comes to a little over $2 per item - not sure how much it is if you wait to purchase it on-board.

Marianne

They do actually do the 'stickers'

I traveled last year with MSC and purchased the Aleggrissimo, and have booked it for my next cruise on Davina next Feb.

Here is what is states on the web site:

With Allegrissimo, you're free to savour every moment, 24 hours a day, with your favourite beverage.

The package is valid 24 hours a day in the main restaurants and à la carte restaurants, self-service buffet and all bars onboard.

The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table.

It includes wine, spirits, cocktails, mocha-chinos, water, ice cream.... I have not a single complaint about it.

I don't drink a lot, but it was nice to have a glass of wine with fellow travellers at my table. I drank many of the mocha-chinos and i definitely got my monies worth. (I kept all my receipts and added them up when I returned home :rolleyes:)

If you buy it before you cruise, you don't have to pay the 15% surcharge :):D

I would not let not getting a table for 2 stop you from going on a longer voyage on her. She is an absolutely stunning, beautiful ship with a wonderful crew.

I would not let not getting a table for 2 stop you from going on a longer voyage on her. She is an absolutely stunning, beautiful ship with a wonderful crew.

I know. This is why after many years of sailing with royal in giving a try to msc but the table size is a huge factor for me. Maybe I will consider it if I'm traveling with a big family but going with my partner alone I rather have a table of two. But I'm sure I will have a blast in my incoming short cruise 😀

• 1 month later...
They do actually do the 'stickers'

I traveled last year with MSC and purchased the Aleggrissimo, and have booked it for my next cruise on Davina next Feb.

Here is what is states on the web site:

With Allegrissimo, you're free to savour every moment, 24 hours a day, with your favourite beverage.

The package is valid 24 hours a day in the main restaurants and à la carte restaurants, self-service buffet and all bars onboard.

The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table.

It includes wine, spirits, cocktails, mocha-chinos, water, ice cream.... I have not a single complaint about it.

I don't drink a lot, but it was nice to have a glass of wine with fellow travellers at my table. I drank many of the mocha-chinos and i definitely got my monies worth. (I kept all my receipts and added them up when I returned home :rolleyes:)

If you buy it before you cruise, you don't have to pay the 15% surcharge :):D

Do you know if you buy it ahead of time, does it count towards purchases for your club card points?

TIA

Michelle