Review-MSC Divina Cruise 4-26-14

Mrs. Squirrel

Did I read correctly that you wore your theme night outfits to MDR dinner? For some reason I only recall getting dressed up for theme nights post dinner. Also, I read in a CC article that says after 6pm Jeans, tshirts and shorts are not allowed in public areas... that just seems crazy! Did you experience that at all? Thanks for your review and any input :)

On our 2 week cruise on the Divina this May, there were plenty of people wearing casual clothes that included t shirts and shorts(not swim shorts) around the ship, and yes even on formal night!

As a matter of fact we saw some people in the buffet on formal night wearing a tie and jacket, which was the other extreme, so it all comes down to what you want to wear on the Divina!

With flight restrictions on weight getting tougher and tougher, its difficult for people to pack for 7-14 days,(if you plan on changing your clothes:D)and include formal wear for one or two nights!

I can also tell you that the first week of our cruise was more formal in the dining room then the second week, why? Don't know, maybe because it was getting warmer outside, and inside! Miami was easily over 90, no clouds, and extremely humid on May 10, half way through our cruises!

My guess was,,,

week 1 formal nights in the dining room; 15% tux, 25% jacket and tie, 35% a jacket 'or' tie, and 25% just a casual collared shirt and trousers!

week 2 formal nights in the dining room; 5% tux, 15% jacket and tie, 40% a jacket 'or' tie, and 40% just a casual collared shirt and trousers!

So whatever you wear, you'd be comfortable!

PS I wore a jacket, no tie, and it was warm both weeks in the dining room, over half the men who wore jackets including me took them off during dinner, the others looked uncomfortable/or didn't have a pulse!:D

I have seen other posters say this as well over the past few months. It would seem to me that if MSC wanted to have a "theme night", then wouldn't it kind of make sense to let cruisers know about it before hand so they can be prepared for it if they choose to be? At least the CC people who read these threads are privy to it. But the other 3000 people on board will be fairly clueless while everyone else will be in Black and White or any of the Italian flag's colors and wonder how or why they didn't know about it.

I have to agree here. If it wasn't for CC or MSC's Facebook page, we wouldn't have known about the "White Party" "60's, 70's,80's" Night,,or "Italian Night".

What MSC should do is include some sort of literature along with your boarding pass and luggage tag e-mail that lists some of the happenings on the ship during the week of your cruise and what you may want to bring along with you. I'm sure the participation would increase.

I have seen other posters say this as well over the past few months. It would seem to me that if MSC wanted to have a "theme night", then wouldn't it kind of make sense to let cruisers know about it before hand so they can be prepared for it if they choose to be? At least the CC people who read these threads are privy to it. But the other 3000 people on board will be fairly clueless while everyone else will be in Black and White or any of the Italian flag's colors and wonder how or why they didn't know about it.

Agree that MSC's pre-cruise communication is the pits and their web site. . .don't even get me started! :rolleyes:

Once onboard, its all good. :)

As a matter of fact we saw some people in the buffet on formal night wearing a tie and jacket, which was the other extreme, so it all comes down to what you want to wear on the Divina!

Too funny, we saw the same. The first formal night we ate in the buffet and couldn't believe the number of buffet diners in tux or suit, formal or cocktail dresses. I had forgotten this until you mentioned it! :D At the time, we just assumed for a lot of those folks, it was second dinner or they got dressed up just for formal pictures.

I just remembered one other thing about our trip. Totally random.

Our Jamaican tour guides both pronounced the city of Falmoth as 'Foul Mouth'. I had always thought it pronounced 'Fal (as in gal) muth'. Since my husband works in a General Motors factory, we got a big kick out of the foul mouth pronunciation since his days are spent with those who'd make a sailor blush! :eek:

I have truly enjoyed reading your review and I know we will have a great time on the Divina in October. We booked because of the great rates at the time and then started reading the reviews and started to wonder about this cruise. We had determined that we were going to have a good attitude no matter what and we were going to enjoy the cruise.

We take cruises to get away from the everyday routine and spend quality time together (hubby and me) and normally are very casual on cruises and just go with the flow. We enjoy spending time on our veranda reading, enjoying the view, people watching while at port, etc. So we figured it would be fine no matter what. I thought: "I will not have to make the bed, clean the bathroom, cook or wash dishes for a week... how bad can that be". LOL :-).

Now after reading your review, and many others, I believe we are going to have a terrific time!

Thank you for taking the time to write it and for all of the great information and photos.

Olivia

Everyone cruises for different reasons. We all have different requirements that are a 'make or break' for our vacation choices. Haven't we all read reviews, maybe you've even thought this about something in my review, where the cruiser highlights as an issue something that wouldn't even be a blip on your radar? I know I have.

With that having been said, my husband boldly announced, the morning of the second sea day, over our lovely room service coffee, that he would never consider MSC over NCL on a regular basis because they don't have coffee pots in the rooms.

What?! :confused: Not price, not value, not ports, not amenities, not food, not entertainment, not staff, not safety, not the spa, but a coffee pot. The way to my husband's vacation dollar is through an in-room coffee pot?! :eek:

Thank you Mrs Squirrel!

Well I have to say that the Coffee is very important for me too now. It didn't use to be until we went to Costa Rica and cruised on NCL I love the French press on NCL!!!! So now due to my travels if there is Lavazza and/or french press I'm really happy....but if not I want good coffee too.

Really enjoying the review. We are on the Getaway in August and Divina in Jan for the K-LOVE Christian music cruise, so love love seeing the difference and information! By the way...what time is early dining? We have late and would rather early.

Edited by li'lred

Thank you Mrs Squirrel!

Well I have to say that the Coffee is very important for me too now. It didn't use to be until we went to Costa Rica and cruised on NCL I love the French press on NCL!!!! So now due to my travels if there is Lavazza and/or french press I'm really happy....but if not I want good coffee too.

Really enjoying the review. We are on the Getaway in August and Divina in Jan for the K-LOVE Christian music cruise' date=' so love love seeing the difference and information! By the way...what time is early dining? We have late and would rather early.[/quote']

Thank you. I do know what you mean about the French Press coffee in Le Bistro, but we've never had a Lavazza machine, just a good ole' Mr. Coffee maker. He just likes it in the room, because he must roll right out of bed and grasp coffee, I guess. :rolleyes:

We would like to sail Getaway someday. I didn't know K-Love did Christian music cruises. Sounds fun!

MSC Divina early dinner seating on our cruise was 6:00pm; late was 8:45pm.

Edited by Mrs. Squirrel

Maybe this is a little bit late, but I just came by your review.

It is a very interesting read. Thank you.

Your experience actually reminds me our first time with MSC (Poesia). We also did not know what to expect after reading so many bad reviews, but absolutely loved our experience (not with some minor points, but hey, I am not familiar with a perfect cruiseline :) ).

We were able to switch to a table for two. We did have to wait one day, and our first dinner was with wonderful tablemates. It was not very easy to explain to them later why we left. :o

I am waiting for our next cruise on Divina and this review feels almost like a start of our vacation, so thanks a lot!

Btw we also love NCL, and it seems that lately we cruise with them more often than with other lines. I think NCL & MSC has something in common. Great festive atmosphere! Just a little bit different styles. By the way on Dawn and on Jewel we had a wonderful Italian pianist & singer. I love Italian songs and music, so it was a big treat for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jayne .. Nice review and pictures, I noticed on one of them that the Barman you were talking to was the same guy who was on the TA to Miami. Hope he is due a break soon .....:)

Thank you for the detailed review. It was balanced & had great information.

I liked the comparison to NCL. I have never sailed NCL but was considering a cruise on one of their newer ships for Dec. I am glad that I decided to go with the Divina & am looking forward to my cruise in December!

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We are sailing on Aug. 9 on the Divina and it has been refreshing to read a realtime, balanced view of things. I am laid back as you are about things, so I believe that some of the things that others post about wouldn't bother me as much. In addition, as you stated, it's about your attitude and reaction to things......

You mentioned going around and tipping your waiter, room steward, etc. Did you have the auto tips removed from your on board account or did you tip extra in cash? I traditionally have tipped in cash because I feel like it's the "right" thing to do, but from the CC message boards, it seems this is discouraged on MSC?

Becky

Have loved reading your review and viewing your photos. We booked a b2b on Divina and sail on 20th September. After booking it I found cruise critic (we are first time cruisers) and were really concerned as to what we had done after reading some of the reviews, but after reading yours I now feel more at ease.

We booked the cruise for a special occasion as its my 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary. You said that you got invited to the cocktail party seeing as it was your anniversary, I just wondered if you had to inform someone of this fact as I would really like to be invited but do not know if we would have to inform guest relations or something of the dates.

Jacqui

Thank you for a wonderful read! This is the ideal review, informative, well written, lovely photos... Your taking so much time and trouble to share your experiences with us is much appreciated.

Madeleine

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We are sailing on Aug. 9 on the Divina and it has been refreshing to read a realtime, balanced view of things. I am laid back as you are about things, so I believe that some of the things that others post about wouldn't bother me as much. In addition, as you stated, it's about your attitude and reaction to things......

You mentioned going around and tipping your waiter, room steward, etc. Did you have the auto tips removed from your on board account or did you tip extra in cash? I traditionally have tipped in cash because I feel like it's the "right" thing to do, but from the CC message boards, it seems this is discouraged on MSC?

Becky

I am sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. We were in Ontario, Canada the past 10 days with no phone or internet. You are most welcome and thank you for your comments. :)

We do not remove auto tips, because a part of these tips go to behind the scenes folks who work very hard to make our vacations nice. You will never meet all these folks to give each them cash, so the auto tip works well for this reason alone. We also always add additional tips for our cabin steward, waiters, and kids' club staff-the amount depending on their level of extra service and the amount we utilized their service. We tip bar service when we order our non-alcoholic frou frou drinks.

Tipping is a hot topic on CC that I don't intend to debate with anyone. I grew up poor, then worked for many years relying on tips. I tip extra because I am now blessed that I can, and because they deserve it. End of discussion for me so nobody 'go there' please.

Becky, enjoy your cruise! I am sure you will have a great time!

Have loved reading your review and viewing your photos. We booked a b2b on Divina and sail on 20th September. After booking it I found cruise critic (we are first time cruisers) and were really concerned as to what we had done after reading some of the reviews, but after reading yours I now feel more at ease.

We booked the cruise for a special occasion as its my 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary. You said that you got invited to the cocktail party seeing as it was your anniversary, I just wondered if you had to inform someone of this fact as I would really like to be invited but do not know if we would have to inform guest relations or something of the dates.

Jacqui

Happy early Birthday and Anniversary, Jacqui! Make sure your reservation is flagged that you are celebrating both a birthday and an anniversary. If you booked through MSC, contact them to do it. If through a TA, call them to have it noted on your reservation. That's all we did to get the invite. Enjoy your cruise!