Tendering in villefranche

I had posted the following inquiry on the France Ports board a couple of weeks ago but only received one non-specific response. Hopefully, someone on this board can help me.

During our upcoming Western Mediterranean Cruise on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS this June 2014, we are scheduled to arrive at 7:00 A.M. at the tender port of Villefranche.

Would appreciate receiving information … and any helpful hints … about the tender procedure.

At what time does the tender process begin?

Are there 2 tender stations … one for those on a ship’s excursion … AND … another one for everyone else?

We are a party of 8 going on a private shore excursion and intending to meet our guide on the dock at 7:30 A.M.

Thanks for your help!

Since Liberty of the Seas is still on her way over the Atlantic no cruise will have taken place this year in the Med and I would think that is why no-one has answered your question, they simply aren't able to.

Perhaps someone who sailed on Liberty last year can give some suggestions but even then the procedure may be different this year.

From past experience tendering at Villefranche I would say that 7.30 is a little ambitious. It will depend on whether they offload ship's tours first, and whether - as you asked - those tours leave on separate tenders.

They will usually hand out tender tickets the day before tendering and will announce in the Cruise Compass the date and time these will be handed out. Be sure to be in line in plenty of time as people will start queuing early to make sure they get the first tickets.

Edited by Bobal

We tendered a couple of years ago on LOS. We boarded a tender at around 9am as the crew said 9.30 was peak time. We walked straight on. They weren't using tickets. I don't think 7.30 is possible unless things have changed since then. One station only.

Edited by Pushka

Can only relate our experience on Brilliance. We did receive tickets, but they were pretty much ignored by passengers and crew. There were two tender stations. The lines moved very quickly, virtually no delays on the way in at all. I also think 7:30 may be a bit early. We usually give ourselves 45 minutes to an hour from the scheduled arrival when meeting a private guide when docking; tendering can be a bit more lengthy. Why not check with your guide to see what his/her experience has been for timing?

We were on Serenade last year. They were strict with tender tickets but reserved the first tender boats for ship tours only. We too had a private excursion and it didn't look like we would be able to get off until they started allowing the tender tickets off. We were ticket 1. In talking with the cruise ship staff we were able to show our documents for our private excursion meeting time and were able to get on the first tender boat even before the ship tours got off. Wonderful port and had a wonderful excursion.

I just booked a last minute cruise on Liberty and will be in Villefranche on the 15th of May now.

While our arrival time is scheduled for 9 AM, I notice on the port schedule that the ship is actually due to take on the pilot at 7 AM and that all other arrivals of Liberty are scheduled for 6:15 with Pilot.

http://www.riviera-ports.com/Display.aspx?p=y&s=y&menuitem=13202&URL=/Croisiere/Horaires/DisplaySchedules.ascx&datefrom=10/05/2014&dateto=11/07/2014&company=ROYAL%20CARIBBEAN%20INTERNATIONAL&boat=&port=Villefranche

This would indicate to me that the ship will be cleared early. Get a feel of the tour meeting times on your particular sailing. They will move them off at the earliest possible moment after that meeting time.

Guides in Villefranche must have experience with tendering times as this is an everyday part of their existence every season.

I will update here after the 18th with any insight I might gain.