Ocean view suite opinion

apuleius

Hi, our TA messed up our confirmed booking and we have lost our veranda suite (don't ask); the cruise is full and the only option seems to be an ocean suite i.e. no veranda. Can I have people's opinions please. We have sailed SB once before and loved it (in a V2 with the metal balcony which did not bother us at all). The itinerary is Mediterranean port intensive, with no sea days. I'd really welcome some feedback on Ocean View suites. Thanks.

The suites are all the same size. The ocean view has a very large picture window. We find that we spend most of our time on deck so it is not a problem. Also as it is port intensive you will only miss out on breakfast on balcony.

I would suggest that TA gives you a large discount or on board spend for you to compensate for the problem, but otherwise do not worry.

We were recently in Suite 434 on the Sojourn with no verandah, and we didn't miss having one. It was too hot for us to sit on verandah and there were plenty of places on the ship to enjoy the outdoors when we wanted to be there. Plus, you don't have to worry about if your neighbors smoke.

If the verandah is really important to you, your agent should wait list for one. Often, there are last-minute cancellations and if you are wait-listed then you will get first opportunity to trade up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by travelinjones

A1 suites are fine - not too near the bow, and quieter than higher up in terms of possible vibration, motion of the ocean etc. We have had around 428, 430 more than once, and no problems. Also, you have no opposite neighbours, just a quiet inner hallway. And a big window.

Hope if you paid for a verandah you get some onboard credit or similar.

Thanks both - very helpful comments . Now I feel more relaxed about it. These things happen ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You re much more forgiving re this mix up.I would be raising the roof and never use that TA again.Even if they did give a discount,or OBC.

A veranda is a MUST for me.Not sure if I would go,but guess if all the rest paid for??Maybe they can UPGRADE you later?:mad::confused:

Certainly if the choice is between not going and sailing in an A1 I'd choose the latter, But make sure your TA compensates you for this mishap with more than the fare difference. He owes this to you. And I'd start looking around for another TA. Enjoy your cruise.

I would not go as far as Alexandra about this situation, but certainly if you actually paid for a veranda suite I agree with wripro and you should get cash back, plus some other form of compensation. However, I do like your laid back attitude - worse things 'happen at sea', as they say!

While the verandah is preferred, I don't know that you will miss it that much on a Med cruise that's port intensive. Just have fun. You should be entitled to some compensation from your TA (either in the form of $$ from the commission he would make, or an on board credit). Unless you are loners and want to spend time alone on your own verandah, you really won't miss it.

Edited by Pop-I

We are waiting to hear from SB whether we can get a veranda and have also been wait listed for one . The TA has the A1 on hold until the end of the week so hopefully the issue will be resolved by then. The worst thing is the uncertainty. I feel more relaxed if we don't get one but certainly will be looking for a substantial discount or OBC for the disappointment. It's not a good way to look forward to one's trip....

I know you said "don't ask", but I really have to inquire as to what the TA did to loose your paid for, confirmed booking? It seems so impossible. They must really be BAD!!

If you can bear to get through it, a brief explanation would be interesting/helpful...

Thanks,

Steve

We are waiting to hear from SB whether we can get a veranda and have also been wait listed for one .

SB probably will offer special upgrade offer from veranda to penthouse, then the veranda will be available again.

I can't quite believe this happened - the TA is a large reputable company that we have used many times before - whether we use them in future remains to be seen and depends on how they sort this mess out. I don't understand how something like this can happen. They were unaware my booking had been dropped - it was an email received by me from seabourn cancelling the tours I had already booked that alerted me to the issue and it transpired that the blame lay with the TA as a process had not been completed at their end.

I use a TA when I want peace of mind for booking all the travel together as a package - flights cruise and transfers. Otherwise I usually book direct. In this instance things have really backfired on us.

It probably just needs one rather junior or careless employee to make this sort of mess. Something less bad happened to us recently with what could well be the same TA. I understand you probably do not want to identify them - at least at present.

The irony is that we booked this cruise to make for the disappointment we had earlier this year on a star clippers cruise to Cuba which was a complete fiasco - see my threads on Cuba in the SC forum for the full details.

To find ourselves with another fiasco albeit of a different kind beggars belief. I agree, this error seems to be the result of a technical glitch combined with human error meaning that it was not flagged up on the TAs systems. The ocean view suite via being held until the end if the week so I hope things can be sorted before then.

We did Med on Odyssey last Sept for 14 nights and had balcony. While it was nice, due to port intensive cruise, didn't use it that much. Only sat on it for any length of time a few times. Was nice to walk out on in the morning arriving in port but not a necessity just a "nice to have".

lincslady - what happened to you?

Comparatively minor - we had booked SB flights and transfers, and were not told that the flight out was the day before, with a hotel stay. This was in the end extremely pleasant, but I had already booked a Heathrow hotel for that night. Luckily no great problems changing it. However, I did feel that the employee in question was careless in not mentioning the overnight stay - she just said 'Seabourn always send you out the day before in case the plane should miss the ship' when I phoned her. Fine, but I did not know that, and our plane out was very early in the morning.

However, I do not know if we were using the same agent as you.

Actually on our last cruise with a SB flight package SB booked everyone ex london out on embarkation day and it ended up being a tight shave for the transfers to get to the ship on time! We always book an extra night now - just in case of problems ...

So do we, Jo, it's easy because we're retired and don't have any time constraints. We fly at least the day before, if not two. Had a 'no bags' situation in Tokyo last October before we boarded the Silver Shadow. Fortunately the baggage arrived within 36 hours. Had we been flying and sailing the same day, we would have had a major problem.

Yes, but we had booked the Seabourn package. We relied on the TA to inform us as to our flights etc. If we had booked our own flights we would have booked a hotel night ourselves. Obviously it was a good idea for us to be given the hotel night, but we should have been told about it from the start! As our flight out was supposed to arrive in the port at 12.30, (as it did) we assumed that we would be taken straight to the ship. I think it is the fact that the TA rep. assumed that we would know without being told that we had a hotel night booked that annoyed me. In fact, it worked out as a cheap deal for the flights and transfers etc. My complaint is purely with the person who was dealing with this at the TA. I do find that this agency tends to try to deal with you as quickly as possible - no doubt because their prices are good they are usually very busy!