Taking Grandchildren on a Princess Cruise

Freddyboy

When taking grand children, nieces, nephews out of the UK a letter is not normally required. So its not a case of not doing homework because it it is not required.

If cruise companies have a different rule to what is/is not required in law then they should make that clear at the time if booking.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

It's not just the cruise lines, it's travel providers in general. Perhaps a letter is not required, but a quick 5 minute google of several UK sites dealing with the topic shows they recommend or advise to carry notarized documentation from the custodial parent(s) when travelling outside the UK. Coincidentally enough, there's an article in the Travel section of today's Telegraph on just this topic.

It just seems to make good sense to me, as another post suggests it's in the best interest of the child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is the form we used. Hope it posts.

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/006/travel/Minor_Consent.pdf

Thanks, Pia. That's very clear and concise. My first grandson is only 4 weeks old today - but his mother has been cruising since she was four, so I see plenty of cruising in his future...

I'm going to save this for when the time comes!

This is the form we used. Hope it posts.

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/006/travel/Minor_Consent.pdf

Pia, thanks for sharing form. We are taking our grandson on a cruise in June and was having difficulty finding form we used in the past. Like you, we have taken him on cruises and not been asked for it but have also been on cruises when we were asked for it. So we best be prepared and have it. We are also going to bring a copy of his Dad's death certificate just in case there are any questions regarding only one parent signing permission.

Chris

PS. Hope Mike is doing better and on the mend.

Whether anyone asks to see the letter or not doesn't matter. If it's required, take it. We took a friend of my daughter's on a cruise years ago and made sure we had the notarized letter. I no longer recall if anyone asked to see it but it would have been unfortunate if someone did and I didn't have it.

Thanks, Pia. That's very clear and concise. My first grandson is only 4 weeks old today - but his mother has been cruising since she was four, so I see plenty of cruising in his future...

I'm going to save this for when the time comes!

Congratulations Grandma! :D

Pia, thanks for sharing form. We are taking our grandson on a cruise in June and was having difficulty finding form we used in the past. Like you, we have taken him on cruises and not been asked for it but have also been on cruises when we were asked for it. So we best be prepared and have it. We are also going to bring a copy of his Dad's death certificate just in case there are any questions regarding only one parent signing permission.

Chris

PS. Hope Mike is doing better and on the mend.

Thank you Chris. Yesterday and today were both better days. Optimism prevails.

Whether anyone asks to see the letter or not doesn't matter. If it's required, take it. We took a friend of my daughter's on a cruise years ago and made sure we had the notarized letter. I no longer recall if anyone asked to see it but it would have been unfortunate if someone did and I didn't have it.

Great advice, it better to be prepared.:D

Too many assumptions on your part to suggest that someone not carry the documentation....and the immigration authorities back in the US (upon their return) would have no idea if they left the ship in Canada or not.

Right, you still need the passport (or other proper ID) while on a RT from Seattle and it doesn't matter if you stay on the ship in Victoria or not.

I agree that it's best to be prepared (I still remember that Girl Scout training:)) and it would be nice if more authorities are vigilant about checking out those traveling with children.

And a set of healing thoughts for Mike being sent from the Land of the Vals.

Those traveling with Princess from USA ports with children but with only one adult must follow a Princess rule that everyone in the group must have a passport, even on closed loop itineraries that normally allow alternative ID.

(Always required for all passengers if not a closed loop itinerary.)

My parents are taking my 11 year old daughter on the emerald princess from the UK in 2 weeks, and neither the travel agent nor the cruise line itself seem to be able to give a definitive answer on what is required! Which is funny because the notary that I have lined up to stamp the permission document/letter has said I should check the wording with the cruise line! They can't say what should be in the letter, much less whether it should be notarised or not (incidentally one quote I got for this service which may or may not be required was for £130 plus VAT!)

If this is all for child safety then the cruise lines should have very black and white rules and stick by them. Currently it is all far too ambiguous. My parents only found out permission might be required by chance when there was a story in the news on this last week. Nothing was mentioned by the cruise line or TA despite the fact that she is clearly listed as 'granddaughter' on all their travel documentation!

:confused:

My parents are taking my 11 year old daughter on the emerald princess from the UK in 2 weeks, and neither the travel agent nor the cruise line itself seem to be able to give a definitive answer on what is required! Which is funny because the notary that I have lined up to stamp the permission document/letter has said I should check the wording with the cruise line! They can't say what should be in the letter, much less whether it should be notarised or not (incidentally one quote I got for this service which may or may not be required was for £130 plus VAT!)

I do not know if "notary" has a different meaning in the UK vs. here in the USA.

In the USA, a notary stamp verifies that the signature on a piece of paper is the actual signature of the person signing it. It does not indicate that anything in the document is true, just that the signature is real.

The cost of getting a signature notarized in the USA is usually $5 or less and can be free at financial institutions where one has an account. Often places I have worked have had someone who is a notary and can do this for free.

A lawyer (in the USA) is not needed to draw up the document giving permission to take a child out of the country. Although some forms have been suggested in this thread, a person can simply make their own document and then get the appropriate signatures notarized.

here in Canada, a lawyer or a notary can notarize something. the quote from the lawyer i got was $50.

when i showed up with the document already drawn up with all of the information, it was notarized at no cost.

by the way C5281, welcome to cruise critic and congratulations on your first post! :)

I do not know if "notary" has a different meaning in the UK vs. here in the USA.

In the USA, a notary stamp verifies that the signature on a piece of paper is the actual signature of the person signing it. It does not indicate that anything in the document is true, just that the signature is real.

The cost of getting a signature notarized in the USA is usually $5 or less and can be free at financial institutions where one has an account. Often places I have worked have had someone who is a notary and can do this for free.

A lawyer (in the USA) is not needed to draw up the document giving permission to take a child out of the country. Although some forms have been suggested in this thread, a person can simply make their own document and then get the appropriate signatures notarized.

When I wanted to get a notary done in Vancouver I was told to hire a lawyer. I was at the bank and they said they don't those kind of things so it is different in Canada and I'm sure it is in the UK as well.

My sister passed away a few years ago and my family is bringing her son on our cruise in a few weeks (the dad is not joining us on vacation). We have a letter that is notarized and signed, but only by the father. Do we need to address my sister's death in the letter?

Edited by ImNotSure

My sister passed away a few years ago and my family is bringing her son on our cruise in a few weeks (the dad is not joining us on vacation). We have a letter that is notarized and signed, but only by the father. Do we need to address my sister's death in the letter?

We have similar situation. Daughter took a cruise a couple of years ago and was really questioned about her son's Dad not going or being present. In fact there was a big issue regarding my grandsons passport. Long story short it was confiscated. They were divorced at the time. Grandsons farther has since passed away. To be safe we will be traveling with a copy of notarized permission from his mom and a copy of his Dad' death certificate.

Chris

Attach a copy of the death certificate to the letter just to have your bases covered. Depending on when the child's passport was issued either he had to have the signatures of both parents on the application or his father had to present the death cert along with the application.