Will our children have ANY friends on a nov panama transit?

Kdog1971

Help please .... I have searched and can not find current information on children doing the full Panama Canal cruise. We know there will not be many, but will there be ANY? We have a 11and 14. I am especially looking for any replies from people who have actually done the transit. Please no guesses or I would thinks thanks. NCL nov 17th

Doubt there will be many. Even tho across Thanksgiving, that is a long cruise for kids during the school session.

You could find more info by checking on the NCL board, and the roll call for your cruise.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We did this on Legend back in November and I only remember one family that had kids that age. And the family was together constantly, had a table for the four of them in MDR and the kids did homework at the table. Sorry

On our full transit there were about 10 children, most under the age of 5. With these longer cruises the majority of cruisers are retired and have the time to travel. If any in that age group were cruising with their children their kids would be more likely to be in their 40's or 50's! In our early 50s we were among the youngest on the cruise, but being self employed we could take more time off. For working people our age or in their 30's and 40's it's tough to get more than a week or 2 off work. Those full transits are a long time to take kids out of school. My parents once took me out of school that long but I was only in grade 2 and missing school at that age back then was so much more different than it is now. When I got into my teens my parents wouldn't take me out of school for travel, only traveled on school holidays. I think that's still the general consensus with parents these days which is why you don't see many kids on longer cruises while school is in session. It's really hard for kids to catch up. A girl in my class went cruising with her parents during the school year, gone about 3 or 4 weeks, and she never caught up and ended up being held back a grade. I've always remembered that. But what an incredible opportunity for your kids. Enjoy your cruise.

I would expect a lot of kids, but, since it is around Thanksgiving, there may be some families. Your kids are of the age that will find the whole Canal experience interesting. If you have a chance to get off in Panama, I'd definitely take them on the Authentic Embera Indian Village tour. You might call NCL and ask them how many Youth Counselors will be on board. If there are more than two, you will know they've hired some extras because they are expecting more kids. The ships all have places where kids can hang out, play video games, etc. Regards, Richard

We've done three full transits, and on the first one we were on the ship for Thanksgiving. While the line wasn't NCL but on that sailing I remember a few pre-school age kids and even fewer over the age of 16 or so (possibly three or four over the age of 16).