Glacier Bay

Californian

When the park ranger starts the narration while we're cruising Glacier Bay, it is my understanding that we can hear it in our cabins from the TV. Is it ok to leave the balcony door ajar so that we can hear the talk?

Also, has anyone downloaded the podcasts and was it worth doing?

Thanks in advance!

You can stay in your cabin but I would recommend to go on deck so you can see what they point out...otherwise you only see your side of the ship.

You might miss the animals etc as they pop up and disappear just ask quick. It's also cool that with them on board you can talk to them and ask questions. :)

NO,[/size][/b] it is not OK to keep your balcony door open. It messes up the cabin ventilation such as heating and cooling. Whether in Alaska or warm weather cruising we are always reminded to keep the balcony door closed. Go out on deck forward or aft during narration so you don't miss a thing. :)

Edited by solocanadian

If you stay in your cabin you might miss out on the Pea Soup :)

No loss to me. Haha. A couple of Thanksgivings, my parents came to visit me, and we went out to dinner to a restaurant that has split pea soup. My dad got to be thankful he could have it, and my mom and I got to be thankful we didn't have to and there were plenty of things to look at so we didn't have to see it. :)

Glacier Bay should provide enough visual stimulation to keep me from seeing it.

:)

When the park ranger starts the narration while we're cruising Glacier Bay, it is my understanding that we can hear it in our cabins from the TV. Is it ok to leave the balcony door ajar so that we can hear the talk?

Also, has anyone downloaded the podcasts and was it worth doing?

Thanks in advance!

We just got back from Glacier Bay and listened to the talk over the TV - it was fine - no need to open your cabin door. What we missed going into the bay we saw on the way out, so we just stayed in our balcony cabin.

DaveOKC

It's my understanding that the port side does viewing first and that's when the narration goes on. So if you're on the port side, you should be able to equate the narration with what you see.

Go out on the deck. You will see so much more.

As for crowding, see following pictures:

Halfway:

GlacierBayZaandam-1.jpg.997ccbf645e5e721aa3d76b42d82c94f.jpg

Forward deck Zaandam Main Glacier.

GlacierBayZaandam-1-2.jpg.c1162fdb3527741fe0b6454de34094de.jpg

Observation deck 6 forward.

GlacierBayZaandam-1-3.jpg.54e112338114c385c8ea4857399f9f6e.jpg

Forward deck.

GlacierBayZaandam-5.jpg.91affa5af3a36641b32434b2e7088a2f.jpg

Aft pool deck

GlacierBayZaandam-6.jpg.a82e6bcea40a3182ed5d1c5052720c4b.jpg

Aft pool deck

GlacierBayZaandam-7.jpg.a9fd4797410c2f912250380eb29cd383.jpg

This was end May. And it was cold!

Edited by jakkojakko

We're in an aft balcony so I was hoping to stay in it
Unless you are in one of the port corner suites with the wrap-around balcony, your view time at the glacier will be very limited. Usually after sitting for a while with the glacier in about the "ten o'clock" position, the ship will slowly turn 180 degrees and leave. I've heard that some ships do a full 540 degree rotation, but we haven't been on one that did.
If outside, where's the place to view?

It depends a lot on the weather. On a nice day the bow can get very crowded, and unless you are there very early and don't move from your spot, most of your camera angles will be blocked by people. I suggest one of the higher forward decks, where you can move around a little and still find a place to aim your camera between heads.

If you leave the door open, don't forget to turn off the air conditioning or heater, you don't want to add to global warming.
That is not possible on a Vista or Signature ship. We've never had a balcony on other classes, but I think it is also the case there. Or were you just saying that in order to make a joke about global warming? Edited by jtl513

Unless you are in one of the port corner suites with the wrap-around balcony, your view time at the glacier will be very limited. Usually after sitting for a while with the glacier in about the "ten o'clock" position, the ship will slowly turn 180 degrees and leave. I've heard that some ships do a full 540 degree rotation, but we haven't been on one that did.

That was close to our experience on our most recent cruise too. Those with balconies on one side got some viewing at quite an angle and those on the other got a glimpse as we left. On the other hand, under Captain Bos we stopped for a short time and then did slow rotations- at least 720. DH and I joked we were doing a "penalty". (Dinghy racing)

Then what did you do, back out? It's got to be 180, 540, 900, etc in order to face the other way. ;)

Oops. You are right- 900. (We were joking about 720s because we "parked", did the turns, then turned and left. You sort of had to have been there- our sense of humor)....

It was not dizzying at all. We stopped briefly with bow toward margerie, then proceeded to do 2 very slow rotations and then turned to leave. It was all very gentle and allowed all to see no matter where they were. Anyone wanting to could easily "follow" by changing places on deck. We thought it was brilliant.

(C. Bos did the same thing (kept us in slow rotation for around an hour) at paradise bay in Antarctica while we waited for the weather to clear so we could go to Weddall Sea).

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Great pictures!!! We are heading to Alaska in a couple weeks.. you said it was cold on deck while you were in Glacier Bay?? Seems like the temperatures have been really warm up there so far this month.

Go out on the deck. You will see so much more.

As for crowding, see following pictures:

Halfway:

[ATTACH]312368[/ATTACH]

Forward deck Zaandam Main Glacier.

[ATTACH]312369[/ATTACH]

Observation deck 6 forward.

[ATTACH]312370[/ATTACH]

Forward deck.

[ATTACH]312371[/ATTACH]

Aft pool deck

[ATTACH]312372[/ATTACH]

Aft pool deck

[ATTACH]312373[/ATTACH]

This was end May. And it was cold!

If you are on a Vista or Signature pay the extra for an aft wrap suite. Views from two sides- if fantastic.

Sitting in our aft wrap as I type looking out the window at Glacier Bay. Has been lightly snowing and raining this morning- heading to Marjorie Glacier now.

Oh, they meant degrees? I was thinking rotations, and honestly 720 seemed like anything but slow, so I was very confused. :)

I wish we were going on the same cruise! 720 rotations constant....I'd for sure be seasick....