Freedom of the Seas, May 3, 2015 Not available for booking?

Hey Friends!

I Booked This Trip Last Week With A Great Balcony Rate.

Tonight, I Just Found This Thread And Literally Just Got Off The Phone With The 602 Number On The Maxwell Site.

I Asked Them How It Works If I Book The Chartered Trip And What Exclusives We Would Get Versus The Regular Guests.

They Told Me That Royal Made A Mistake And The ONLY People That Will Be Allowed On The Ship Are The Chartered Folks.

When I Inquired About Those Who Have Already Booked, And She Said Royal Told Them (Maxwell), That All Other Guests Would Be Cancelled And Notified Sometime In The Next Few Weeks.

Interesting To Say The Least...

-Michael

I found this cruise yesterday, and was really sold on everything..

Price seemed too good to be true, till I read this and figured that was why the price was so good.

I just called Royal Caribbean, and the man I spoke to there advised me that it is 100% NOT chartered. I advised him about what I had read, and he said it wasn't.

I just find that strange, different answers from everybody.

The one thing I am worried about mainly with booking (after reading this), I loved the look of everything this ship had to offer, and want to go to things when I want to (as you would on a normal cruise) but was thinking perhaps if it had been chartered, things would be blocked off or unavailable.

LaurenPie:

I Totally Understand What You Are Saying.

It's Very Strange That I Talked To Three People ( One At RCCL's Crown / Anchor Society), One At Maxwell Company (602 Number), And Someone At Guest Services At The Corporate Office, And They ALL Had A Different Answer.

I Don't Like The Fact That No One In The Corporate Office Has Any Idea What's Going On...Or Else, They Are Lying To Their Perspective Guests.

My Wife Is Of The Belief That The Maxwell Charter Is A Scam.

I Hope We Hear Something Soon, As I Bought A Flight For My Dad To Come Down From Michigan As Part Of His Birthday Gift.

I found this cruise yesterday, and was really sold on everything..

Price seemed too good to be true, till I read this and figured that was why the price was so good.

I just called Royal Caribbean, and the man I spoke to there advised me that it is 100% NOT chartered. I advised him about what I had read, and he said it wasn't.

I just find that strange, different answers from everybody.

The one thing I am worried about mainly with booking (after reading this), I loved the look of everything this ship had to offer, and want to go to things when I want to (as you would on a normal cruise) but was thinking perhaps if it had been chartered, things would be blocked off or unavailable.

If its possible, join us the week before on Freedom! I've even sailed with people from Adelaide that I know call friends. :)

LaurenPie:

My Wife Is Of The Belief That The Maxwell Charter Is A Scam.

I suspect your wife is very correct! The Maxwell folks don't want to admit that their full ship charter attempt was an utter failure, so they keep telling those who ask that it's still a full ship charter. I believe that it was once a full ship charter, but now is not. I'm still confused as to how this is possible, because RCL's rules on charters very specifically state that a full ship charter can NOT be cancelled or changed to any other kind of charter.

I Talked To My TA Again This Morning.

She Is Of The Belief That It's Not A Full Ship Charter, And Never Was.

She Beliefs The Company, (BTWAtSea.Com), Is Simply Promoting The Cruise And They Offer Special Seating If You Book Select Cabins At Inflated Prices.

She Goes On To Say That Her Experience Tells Her This Is A Large Group, Who Tend To Dominate The Ship With Private Seating(s), Functions And Special Entertainment, And It's Up To The Wife And I If We Are Comfortable Sailing With Such A Large Group.

What's Most Concerning For Me, Personally... Is That Somebody, (Either Maxwell Or RCCL) Is Blatantly Lying To Their Paying Guests.

I Am Under The Belief That The Ship Was Originally A Charter....But That Got Cancelled...

I Talked To My TA Again This Morning.

She Is Of The Belief That It's Not A Full Ship Charter, And Never Was.

She Beliefs The Company, (BTWAtSea.Com), Is Simply Promoting The Cruise And They Offer Special Seating If You Book Select Cabins At Inflated Prices.

She Goes On To Say That Her Experience Tells Her This Is A Large Group, Who Tend To Dominate The Ship With Private Seating(s), Functions And Special Entertainment, And It's Up To The Wife And I If We Are Comfortable Sailing With Such A Large Group.

What's Most Concerning For Me, Personally... Is That Somebody, (Either Maxwell Or RCCL) Is Blatantly Lying To Their Paying Guests.

I Am Under The Belief That The Ship Was Originally A Charter....But That Got Cancelled...

Your TA is incorrect. This was originally a full ship charter (refer to Page 1, Post 17 of this thread).

I believe this was originally a full ship charter, and somehow Maxwell at Sea was able to get out of it (even though the Royal Caribbean policy specifically states that full ship charters can not be cancelled or revised to be partial ship charters). I suspect Royal Caribbean made some kind of rare exception because Maxwell at Sea was able to sell so few staterooms (not surprising, given their ridiculous prices). I don't know if RCL is being completely honest, or not, but Maxwell certainly is not! They continue to claim this is a full ship charter, and it clearly is not. Guests who have already booked and guests who continue to book through Maxwell's group should have a serious issue with paying such high prices for a cruise that has been billed as a "full ship charter" when it is not.

I asked on Royal Caribbean's Facebook page... this is what they came back with

Hello Lauren- We're sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing. The Freedom sailing on May 3rd is a public sailing, and you should be able to reserve it. Should you experience further issues, please call us at 866-562-8625. Thank you.

Maybe it is now a public sailing for whatever reason...

If its possible, join us the week before on Freedom! I've even sailed with people from Adelaide that I know call friends. :)

tempting - especially as we know there wouldn't be any issues haha.

But we're so constricted with our holiday leave that this worked perfectly.

I asked on Royal Caribbean's Facebook page... this is what they came back with

Hello Lauren- We're sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing. The Freedom sailing on May 3rd is a public sailing, and you should be able to reserve it. Should you experience further issues, please call us at 866-562-8625. Thank you.

Maybe it is now a public sailing for whatever reason...

May 3rd is indeed on the website as a normal sailing.

I almost want to book this cruise just to witness the trainwreck in person. :eek:

I’m not sure who’s going to react worse: the people who booked the Maxwell charter believing (as it states on the organizers' website) it’s a full charter and they will have the whole ship to themselves, or the people who have no clue about the Maxwell charter and think they’re just getting a good deal…only to find out the rest of the story once they board. I would at least get a balcony room, so that when I’ve had my share of cranky folks complaining that there are too many areas being reserved for private functions, or there aren’t enough areas reserved for private functions, or the “regular passengers” are trying to get into the special events, I’d have my own little space to go and get away from it all! :cool:

We had been booked on a cruise on Celebrity that we learned had also been partially chartered for an American Girl cruise (which they had told us at time of booking). When pushed, we were told that many parts of the ship would be closed at times to the passengers who were not part of the charter group. That meant entertainment venues, good venues, and even general outdoor ship venues were going to be closed to us at times. So we switched cruises (which also made my 15 yo son happy).

I'd be more concerned that if any part of this cruise is being chartered that parts of the ship will be closed to other passengers throughout the cruise.

I almost want to book this cruise just to witness the trainwreck in person. :eek:

I’m not sure who’s going to react worse: the people who booked the Maxwell charter believing (as it states on the organizers' website) it’s a full charter and they will have the whole ship to themselves, or the people who have no clue about the Maxwell charter and think they’re just getting a good deal…only to find out the rest of the story once they board. I would at least get a balcony room, so that when I’ve had my share of cranky folks complaining that there are too many areas being reserved for private functions, or there aren’t enough areas reserved for private functions, or the “regular passengers” are trying to get into the special events, I’d have my own little space to go and get away from it all! :cool:

I hear you! I think you're absolutely right - total train wreck! I hope someone from CC who's going reports back here after the cruise.

Amazing that the Maxwell folks are STILL claiming it's a full-ship charter as recently as today. I agree with whoever said it looks like a total scam.

I just got off the phone with Eric at Royal Caribbean. He check with other people while I was on hold and told me that he can confirm that the ship is partially chartered. Because of legal reasons he could not tell who chartered it.

We had been booked on a cruise on Celebrity that we learned had also been partially chartered for an American Girl cruise (which they had told us at time of booking).

I'd like to hear reports from people that were on that one. I'm betting the dolls occupied seats at the shows and deck chairs. Normally you don't throw chair hogs overboard, but maybe this would be a first.

I decided to book the Oasis Of The Seas instead.. I was so interested in this one, but the whole charter thing was a bit of a put off. :(

Everyone who is going, I hope you do have lots of fun :)

If you care, you will find a lot of the divers in the show on Oasis and much of the staff on the sports deck is from Australia.

I'd like to hear reports from people that were on that one. I'm betting the dolls occupied seats at the shows and deck chairs. Normally you don't throw chair hogs overboard, but maybe this would be a first.

They told us that the dining venues would have special chairs so that their dolls could participate with the children. That's really all we needed to hear.

Your TA is incorrect. This was originally a full ship charter (refer to Page 1, Post 17 of this thread).

I believe this was originally a full ship charter, and somehow Maxwell at Sea was able to get out of it (even though the Royal Caribbean policy specifically states that full ship charters can not be cancelled or revised to be partial ship charters). I suspect Royal Caribbean made some kind of rare exception because Maxwell at Sea was able to sell so few staterooms (not surprising, given their ridiculous prices). I don't know if RCL is being completely honest, or not, but Maxwell certainly is not! They continue to claim this is a full ship charter, and it clearly is not. Guests who have already booked and guests who continue to book through Maxwell's group should have a serious issue with paying such high prices for a cruise that has been billed as a "full ship charter" when it is not.

I'm sure it was originally a full ship charter as we were originally booked on this sailing as were a couple that we usually cruise with. We both received emails last May telling us that the ship had been chartered and offering to price protect us for selected sailings and giving us $400 OBC. Boy am I glad it was originally a full ship charter as we have been on a 1/2 ship charter and we were closed out of venues and entertainment. They tried to kick us out of second seating.

I think that RCI and Maxwell are setting up a train-wreck as CatGirlNC says in her post.

I always Google my sailings now and have bookmarks for groups that frequently do charters to check my cruises.

I decided to book the Oasis Of The Seas instead.. I was so interested in this one, but the whole charter thing was a bit of a put off. :(

Everyone who is going, I hope you do have lots of fun :)

I think you made the right choice, Lauren -- see my previous post re: 1/2 ship charters.

Just curious...has anyone posting on this thread ever been part of a group (more then 100) on a cruise...if yes...how was your experience
Only if you count 300 Meet & Mingle people or 900 Diamonds (on several trans-Atlantics).:p

I have been on several cruises where I know there were groups of roughly 10% of the passenger load, and I hardly noticed much difference. Basically the only reason I even knew there was a group was that a hospitality desk was set up for them near Guest Relations. I maybe would encounter a venue closed one time, so I have little problem with that. I think that a 50% charter would be an entirely different situation, and I'm glad to have not had to find out from personal experience.

Thom

Is it even confirmed that this is a 50% charter? At this point I don't think we know how many rooms Maxwell was able to book - at those prices, it doesn't seem like there would be many.

I booked before coming across this thread but I'm keeping the booking (for now). The price is too good to pass up.

Is it even confirmed that this is a 50% charter? At this point I don't think we know how many rooms Maxwell was able to book - at those prices, it doesn't seem like there would be many.

I booked before coming across this thread but I'm keeping the booking (for now). The price is too good to pass up.

Same here. We have decided to keep this booking as I have been on ships that were partially chartered. Not sure how big it was but we did not have any problems. My understanding is they will have the ice skating rink, minus ice and when not used by the skaters, for there entertainment. if that is true it should be okay. And I agree at those prices I wouldn't think it would be that full.