Old Carnival Celebration moving again

jimbo5544

The Carnival Celebration (our first cruise) back in 96 out of Tampa is changing ownership again. She is leaving Carnival owned Iberocruceros and moving to Costa to be called the Costa Celebration after an extended dry dock in Genoa Italy. The once easily recognized red funnel has since been painted blue and soon will be yellow.

Iberocruceros with the sole 1985-built Grand Holiday, scheduled to sail from Buenos Aires this coming winter. Changes seem to be afoot in Europe for Carnival corp.

The Carnival Celebration (our first cruise) back in 96 out of Tampa is changing ownership again. She is leaving Carnival owned Iberocruceros and moving to Costa to be called the Costa Celebration after an extended dry dock in Genoa Italy. The once easily recognized red funnel has since been painted blue and soon will be yellow.

Iberocruceros with the sole 1985-built Grand Holiday, scheduled to sail from Buenos Aires this coming winter. Changes seem to be afoot in Europe for Carnival corp.

But by moving to Costa, she will still be in the Carnival Corp. family.

Hmmmm want some conspiracies theories now? Lol what if they are doing this in order to get ready to transfer the fantasy to Iberocruceros in 2016? Food for thought lol

With this movement, they are down to one ship (the Holiday). I wonder if they are long for hanging around? Your theory would support that.

Looks so strange to see that color funnel. Can't imagine it being yellow either tho......

Jim,

That's what I thought too.

It's also interesting that instead of new ships that Costa used to deploy, they are now deploying hand me downs. Perhaps the optimist view is that they aren't burning capital and at the same time they're investing in a proven seaworthy ship. ;)

Looks so strange to see that color funnel. Can't imagine it being yellow either tho......
Imagine a whale-tail in bright yellow? :eek:

Maybe they'll tear the whale-tail funnel off the ship

and replace it with the standard-design Costa funnel straight up and down

-in yellow with a big blue C on it.

Imagine a whale-tail in bright yellow? :eek:

Maybe they'll tear the whale-tail funnel off the ship

and replace it with the standard-design Costa funnel straight up and down

-in yellow with a big blue C on it.

Yep thats what they did when the Carnival Tropicale was transferred to them:

Costa_Tropicale_2003-07-05.JPG

I think this transfer of ships may spell the end for Iberocruceros because I really dont see them being able to absorb all of the capacity from a Fantasy class ship; if anything a Fantasy class ship would go to Costa if history is any indication.

Jim,

It's also interesting that instead of new ships that Costa used to deploy, they are now deploying hand me downs. Perhaps the optimist view is that they aren't burning capital and at the same time they're investing in a proven seaworthy ship. ;)

That is certainly the optimist view. The other side of the coin is certainly much less appealing. My mind has me really scratching my head on this one. There is a real need for smaller ships for unique itineraries. Hopefully that is is the reason. I loved the Celebration when we were on her way back in 96. I did see what they did with the interior of the Holiday and loved it, don't think I ever saw the "re-done" Celebration.

If they only had aft wraps.....

I don't think the Celebration was made over as exquisitly as the Holiday. But I wonder if Costa is still reeling from the Concordia tragedy.

But I would have thought the Spendor would have returned to that fleet first, to sail along side her sisters. There got to Ve a reason they are not/have not put a Guys on her.

Jim,

I thought they would have transferred the new costa diadem to carnival after the Concordia incident. Especially since it is a dream class. Guess I was wrong though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yep thats what they did when the Carnival Tropicale was transferred to them:

Costa_Tropicale_2003-07-05.JPG

I think this transfer of ships may spell the end for Iberocruceros because I really dont see them being able to absorb all of the capacity from a Fantasy class ship; if anything a Fantasy class ship would go to Costa if history is any indication.

Wwow, good post! Thanks.

There got to Ve a reason they are not/have not put a Guys on her.

I think that is due more to logistics than them planning to return it to Costa (which it was originally intended for. Splendor's dry docks and where she was sailing is a more likely reason. I had mentioned to some big wigs that the club 02 on the Splendor would make an excellent RFP as well, but i think my sage wisdom fell on deaf ears......

Edited by jimbo5544

This article could explain the move. It looks like Costa is going to be the main carnival brand in Asia. I personally dont think Carnival cruise lines would work in Asia. It is too american in my opinion. So that is maybe why they are sending costa there. Costa ships are over the top in regards to decor like carnival. So maybe costa inheriting the fantasy class for Asia is likely. http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-makes-its-big-china-move-says-country-could-be-worlds-no-2-cruise-market-by-2017.html

This article could explain the move. It looks like Costa is going to be the main carnival brand in Asia. I personally dont think Carnival cruise lines would work in Asia. It is too american in my opinion. So that is maybe why they are sending costa there. Costa ships are over the top in regards to decor like carnival. So maybe costa inheriting the fantasy class for Asia is likely. http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-makes-its-big-china-move-says-country-could-be-worlds-no-2-cruise-market-by-2017.html

I agree about the "fit". It will be interesting to watch to see how all of this unfolds over time.

At a meeting of TAs on-board Costa Luminosa, Costa's CEO announced that Iberocruceros (100% owned by Costa) will be closed down by the end of this year. No mentioned was made as to what will happen to the old Holiday.

Maybe Carnival should take back the Holiday, there must be a market for old style cruising, the would making a packet.

Ron

She was our first cruise, as we approached the ship (at the Tampa port) we were in total awe in how large a ship she was.

I bet! My first cruise was Carnival Pride in 2004, and I was in awe! The next cruise was Freedom of the Seas, and it blew my mind.