Car Rental HELP…which type to get

flcruiser69

Our Alaska adventure is getting close now and we are wanting to rent a car just for 24 hrs in Fairbanks as we are coming into town a day early and wanted to drive out to the north pole and the university and of course Walmart !

There will be 8 of us but I was thinking of getting two instead of one incase one family wanted to go somewhere that the other didn't want to go. Five in one family and three in the other. I should also mention that one family there are 3 teenage kids.

So my question is should we get two medium size cars, which would be a Kia Optima or should we go and get two SUV's?? Budget has a couple of options either a Ford Escape or Nissan Xterra 4X4, there is a 30 difference in price between the two SUV's. I don't want to over kill on the size of the car but I also don't want to get something too small or something that the roads aren't meant for.

THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!! For your help!! This board has been such a saving grace for us in planning this incredible trip!!!

I live in Fairbanks, and you don't need to rent a SUV. The roads you will be driving are all paved, and in most cases, four lanes wide (ie, the Richardson HWY from Fairbanks to North Pole, and the Johansson Expressway which you will use to go to Walmart).

We rented from Nat'l in 2012 for a lovely day. 4 adults, Chevy Malibu. Airport location and went straight to hotel to drop luggage. Drive to the city of North Pole was easy, we did not drive to the Article Circle which is about 80 miles away.

Enjoy your trip.

Our Alaska adventure is getting close now and we are wanting to rent a car just for 24 hrs in Fairbanks as we are coming into town a day early and wanted to drive out to the north pole and the university and of course Walmart !

!

The distance from Fairbanks to the North Pole is 1745 miles and there are no roads.

If you mean North Pole AK, I can not imagine why you want to waste time there. The town is a creation of the local publicity people who have convinced gullible visitors that a small town that is Christmas themed 365 days is a tourist destination that is not to be missed. The place has hokey junky souvenir shops that sell you Christmas decorations during July and even a Christmas themed McDs. If you count the time you spend there at a rest room at McDs, the place is not worth even the few minutes that it takes to drive there from Fairbanks.

Also, please explain to me why you want to spend part of your one day in Fairbanks at Walmart. Now if you have lunch at the northern most Denny's in the world - that I can understand. But Walmart?

The Museum of the North at the University is great. There is also a great world class car museum that I visited 3 times and would go again in a heartbeat.

The museum at the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitor Center is interesting.

Just do not waste your one day visiting Walmart and a hokey overhyped stupid little town.

DON

The distance from Fairbanks to the North Pole is 1745 miles and there are no roads.

If you mean North Pole AK, I can not imagine why you want to waste time there. The town is a creation of the local publicity people who have convinced gullible visitors that a small town that is Christmas themed 365 days is a tourist destination that is not to be missed. The place has hokey junky souvenir shops that sell you Christmas decorations during July and even a Christmas themed McDs. If you count the time you spend there at a rest room at McDs, the place is not worth even the few minutes that it takes to drive there from Fairbanks.

Also, please explain to me why you want to spend part of your one day in Fairbanks at Walmart. Now if you have lunch at the northern most Denny's in the world - that I can understand. But Walmart?

The Museum of the North at the University is great. There is also a great world class car museum that I visited 3 times and would go again in a heartbeat.

The museum at the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitor Center is interesting.

Just do not waste your one day visiting Walmart and a hokey overhyped stupid little town.

DON

We will be in Fairbanks for three days. Just getting a car for one day as we will be with Princess doing excursions. Didn't think we'd need the car for more than one day. The reason to go to Walmart is to get snacks and water for our 7 day haul across Alaska before getting on the boat. We will have 4 kids with us this is why we were planning on driving to the North Pole.

We are considering horseback riding. Any other recommendations that would be fun for kids???

We will be in Fairbanks for three days. Just getting a car for one day as we will be with Princess doing excursions. Didn't think we'd need the car for more than one day. The reason to go to Walmart is to get snacks and water for our 7 day haul across Alaska before getting on the boat. We will have 4 kids with us this is why we were planning on driving to the North Pole.

We are considering horseback riding. Any other recommendations that would be fun for kids???

It can be hard to suggest interesting options for kids without knowing their ages, but check the Museum of the North website as they offer some special options/days for kids and family activities. Also, if you are traveling with kids who would like to spend some time on a playground, Pioneer Park includes playgrounds and mini-golf (I think the concession owners claim it is the farthest north min-golf).