Table for three

You might want to ask that they don't find someone for the 4th spot at the table.

We had booked for 5 people and linked our bookings. When we arrived at our assigned table, we found that they had assigned a solo traveller to our table. He was a lovely person but it was a bit awkward.

You might want to ask that they don't find someone for the 4th spot at the table.

We had booked for 5 people and linked our bookings. When we arrived at our assigned table, we found that they had assigned a solo traveller to our table. He was a lovely person but it was a bit awkward.

Oh that would really suck. I remember years ago I did traditional dining and I was added to a table of family members. When I got shown to the table the people said right to my face that they didn't want me there. Classy folks. I certainly felt the same after that. I ended up at a perfectly wonderful table. I did cruise with another couple one time and we had a table for 4. Not sure if she asked them to not put an extra person there but agree it's a good idea to mention it.

I noticed that you said you would be sailing "shortly".

Try and have your TA link your reservations as soon as possible.

Once you have checked in at the pier, all 3 of you check to see your table number and what time you are eating on your ID card's right away.

Once on the ship, you can go to either the Explorer's Lounge to check out the size of your table and where it is located. If you are not happy, check your daily "On Location" program to see where and when you can meet with the dining room manager.

Good Luck.

Oh that would really suck. I remember years ago I did traditional dining and I was added to a table of family members. When I got shown to the table the people said right to my face that they didn't want me there. Classy folks. I certainly felt the same after that. I ended up at a perfectly wonderful table. I did cruise with another couple one time and we had a table for 4. Not sure if she asked them to not put an extra person there but agree it's a good idea to mention it.

-:eek:- I just had a similar experience on the e-dam this march, as a solo, I was directed to a large table and a lady had her purse on the only seat left, when asked she would not move her purse, then started to complain on how terrible the staff are( very loud ) and got up and stormed out-- there I was ,standing and everyone looking at me, all I could say was ( well that was awkward ) and every one laughed, I then had the best dinner ever--:D

-:eek:- I just had a similar experience on the e-dam this march, as a solo, I was directed to a large table and a lady had her purse on the only seat left, when asked she would not move her purse, then started to complain on how terrible the staff are( very loud ) and got up and stormed out-- there I was ,standing and everyone looking at me, all I could say was ( well that was awkward ) and every one laughed, I then had the best dinner ever--:D

love this - hope I'm that quick instead of just slinking off with my head down....glad you didn't let one rude person make your dinner awful

I sure wouldn't have done that to you. We did tell him that we had reservations at the Pinnacle the next night because we didn't want him to show up at dinner and think we had ditched him. We saw him by the pool a few days later. He said he had gone to open seating the next night and found some nice table mates and that they were going to dine together the rest of the week. I was pleased to hear that.

How awful. That's my fear when travelling solo. I went on the Maasdam last August and booked the Pinnacle for every night. The downside is not meeting many people. The Pinnacle staff and Sal, the Manager, were wonderful. One of these days I will get more courageous and go solo with anytime dining.

When we had this situation, IIRC after the first night the table was only set for three when came in each night. I can't remember whether it was that way the first night or not.

I sure wouldn't have done that to you. We did tell him that we had reservations at the Pinnacle the next night because we didn't want him to show up at dinner and think we had ditched him. We saw him by the pool a few days later. He said he had gone to open seating the next night and found some nice table mates and that they were going to dine together the rest of the week. I was pleased to hear that.

This is why I like open now. Too many horror stories. That said, on my last cruise I had one old dude tell me that a woman's place is in the home:eek::rolleyes:.

Wow what is wrong with people? I mean honestly! We are traveling with my father in the fall and requested a table for 3 fixed dining and while dinner with just the 3 of us would be preferred I would never turn anyone away. It's called manners. Still shaking my head...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, my friend and I showed up for our assigned seating on a cruise (not HAL) and were informed by the 4 already at the table that they were expecting friends and there was "no room" ..... My friend and I were reassigned and I we had a great table which included two of the dance hosts much to the annoyance of some of the other single ladies. People can be so very rude sometimes. By the way.... we were informed by others near our original table that the remaining occupants and their friends spent most of the time glowering at each other through the meals. No laughter, not joking, no signs of good time. Thank heavens we escapted.

Susan

Wow what is wrong with people? I mean honestly! We are traveling with my father in the fall and requested a table for 3 fixed dining and while dinner with just the 3 of us would be preferred I would never turn anyone away. It's called manners. Still shaking my head...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people are raised by wolves. Actually I think the wolves would be embarrassed :D.

This is why I like open now. Too many horror stories. That said, on my last cruise I had one old dude tell me that a woman's place is in the home:eek::rolleyes:.

I've heard that, too - "and she should go there right after work!" :)

I hope your TA or HAL can take care of this now. It will be much easier than on the ship. Several years ago we took my DM on a Christmas Cruise. I booked and paid for 2 Cabins, with her across from DH and I. We were the first 3 people to arrive at the cruise terminal. As we checked in I noticed that DM had a different table number than we did. I asked the "agent" how that could have happened. She was very snippy and said "too late now to change anything. Your DM can meet new people." When DM realized what the agent and I were talking about, of course the tears started flowing. I told DM I would call my TA and everything would be fine. The "agent" smiled a smirk at me and handed me the boarding number. When boarding started I realized what that "smirk" was all about. Even though we were first in the terminal, we had almost the last boarding number. (Try explaining that to a loyal RCCL cruiser!)

Once onboard I called my local TA. She told me everything had the same booking number, HAL was wrong and I needed to go to the "Front Desk" and they would change the table for me. You can guess how far I got after standing in that line. (FYI - I've never used a TA since. If anything gets screwed up, I want it to fall on me!)

I finally ended up in the Queens Lounge - where the Ass't DRM never looked up from his computer while I talked. Never. Never looked at me - but said "your TA screwed up - we can't fix it." I asked to speak with the "real" DRM and the Ass't told me to go stand in the back of the room. There I was thinking my poor DH is out there somewhere on the ship trying to entertain my DM - and all I've done is make numerous phone calls to the TA and stand in lines. I looked up just as the DRM walked into the room looking for me ... and there stood Andre', the DRM from our previous two Maasdam cruises. He remembered me, asked about my DH, and said to arrive as planned for dinner and he would have a table for the three for us.

While my story ends well - it was not the Embarkation Day I had planned for a short Christmas Cruise. So to the OP - my advice is to try to get your request in writing before you ever get on the ship.

I hope your TA or HAL can take care of this now. It will be much easier than on the ship. Several years ago we took my DM on a Christmas Cruise. I booked and paid for 2 Cabins, with her across from DH and I. We were the first 3 people to arrive at the cruise terminal. As we checked in I noticed that DM had a different table number than we did. I asked the "agent" how that could have happened. She was very snippy and said "too late now to change anything. Your DM can meet new people." When DM realized what the agent and I were talking about, of course the tears started flowing. I told DM I would call my TA and everything would be fine. The "agent" smiled a smirk at me and handed me the boarding number. When boarding started I realized what that "smirk" was all about. Even though we were first in the terminal, we had almost the last boarding number. (Try explaining that to a loyal RCCL cruiser!)

Once onboard I called my local TA. She told me everything had the same booking number, HAL was wrong and I needed to go to the "Front Desk" and they would change the table for me. You can guess how far I got after standing in that line. (FYI - I've never used a TA since. If anything gets screwed up, I want it to fall on me!)

I finally ended up in the Queens Lounge - where the Ass't DRM never looked up from his computer while I talked. Never. Never looked at me - but said "your TA screwed up - we can't fix it." I asked to speak with the "real" DRM and the Ass't told me to go stand in the back of the room. There I was thinking my poor DH is out there somewhere on the ship trying to entertain my DM - and all I've done is make numerous phone calls to the TA and stand in lines. I looked up just as the DRM walked into the room looking for me ... and there stood Andre', the DRM from our previous two Maasdam cruises. He remembered me, asked about my DH, and said to arrive as planned for dinner and he would have a table for the three for us.

While my story ends well - it was not the Embarkation Day I had planned for a short Christmas Cruise. So to the OP - my advice is to try to get your request in writing before you ever get on the ship.

That's crazy and the reply from the check in agent is beyond stupid. Glad you had a little pull onboard and everything turned out.

This could have been a legitimate situation. It is very possible that a group of eight did indeed plan to dine together, and that the seating assignments were fouled up. It makes a lot of sense to me to seat singles together or with several separate couples (you know what I mean), and not a single person with everyone else being a defined group.

We went as a family group of five once and I jumped through a lot of hoops to make sure that we were dining together and without an sixth person. It is not a matter of being rude, it is just that the outsider would have changed the banter from personal family conversation to generic small talk.

On other cruises we were happy to sit with other people.

igraf

Well, my friend and I showed up for our assigned seating on a cruise (not HAL) and were informed by the 4 already at the table that they were expecting friends and there was "no room" ..... My friend and I were reassigned and I we had a great table which included two of the dance hosts much to the annoyance of some of the other single ladies. People can be so very rude sometimes. By the way.... we were informed by others near our original table that the remaining occupants and their friends spent most of the time glowering at each other through the meals. No laughter, not joking, no signs of good time. Thank heavens we escapted.

Susan

Edited by igraf

Sometimes we have a table for three, others the fourth is made up with a solo cruiser. It's never been really awkward with the fourth.

Once we had requested a table for 3, with no additions, but the third night the dining room manager asked if we minded taking on a fourth tablemate for the remainder of the cruise -- her table was apparently unbearable for her. It worked out well.

I prefer to have a table with just us, but I'll never turn away someone who needs a place to sit and eat. For my upcoming cruise, there will be 5 of us and I am not sure if the dining room manager will make up the 6th or not. I'll have to see in January.