Time change on an East bound crossing

rrunner

The last time we sailed New York to Southampton the clocks were put forward at noon for 5 day's instead of midnight as they were on previous crossings. Is this still being done. I prefer to do it at night myself.

The last time we sailed New York to Southampton the clocks were put forward at noon for 5 day's instead of midnight as they were on previous crossings. Is this still being done. I prefer to do it at night myself.

It depends on the Captain on the particular voyage, some advance them at noon and others at 2am. You will have Oprey I think and I believe that he favours noon.

It depends on the Captain on the particular voyage, some advance them at noon and others at 2am. You will have Oprey I think and I believe that he favours noon.

To bad I prefer 2am. Thank you anyway.

Rynd did as well on the Jan 3 crossing... I liked this better... Much easier to adjust and not miss breakfast... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our 2012 eastbound QM2 changed at 12:00 noon also---the wonderful captain Chris Wells in charge.

Sorry, Rrunner, but we found it brilliant! Much less painful than changing at midnight and trying to adjust the next morning.

We were discussing the great advantage of the extra hours on a westbound TA at dinner on our crossing last week, and the question came up about the lost hours on an eastbound. Our waiter confirmed that the change is currently being made at noon. Sounds odd to me, but I guess it works.

Do we know, is noon now the standard, or does it vary by Captain? If it's Captain's choice can we create a list of which Captain does what.

I much prefer noon to 2AM, but my actual favorite was one time only and on the Rotterdam. There was a time or 2 where they changed at noon and again at 2am, giving us a somewhat proportional but very short day, and then a few days to adjust.

Roy

Doesn't setting the clocks ahead one hour at noon mean that the dining room is open one hour less? It seems that would be much less convenient for passengers and cause more crowding. Am I missing something here?

You are correct. There was some adjustment of the time(s) lunch venues were open.

Personally, we never felt that was an inconvenience.

We have lunch in the MDR as well as in King's Court (and sometimes The Golden Lion).

Never had any trouble with service or feeling satiated after a midday meal with time changes handle this way.

Most importantly, we were able to sleep a full eight hours with time change at noon.

You are correct. There was some adjustment of the time(s) lunch venues were open.

Personally, we never felt that was an inconvenience.

We have lunch in the MDR as well as in King's Court (and sometimes The Golden Lion).

Never had any trouble with service or feeling satiated after a midday meal with time changes handle this way.

Most importantly, we were able to sleep a full eight hours with time change at noon.

Wow! Now we have Jimmy Three Lunches as well as Jimmy Three Breakfasts. Do we have a candidate for three dinners????

Ooops! Not all the same day… : ) 3rdGenCunarder

Well, (truth be told) we have been know to lunch in the MDR and THEN (after skipping dessert there) go up to the King's Court for some of their hot dessert with ice cream (a weakness of DH).

I want you to know that (shock!) there was no weight gain from either eastbound 13 days on Celebrity Equinox or westbound 7 days on theQM2 this year…

Must that been the diet of wine and tapas and wine and escargot and wine and fois gras in-between : )

And, the pain aux raison….

Or, it was the vow of stairs on both ships?

Ooops! Not all the same day… : ) 3rdGenCunarder

Well, (truth be told) we have been know to lunch in the MDR and THEN (after skipping dessert there) go up to the King's Court for some of their hot dessert with ice cream (a weakness of DH).

I want you to know that (shock!) there was no weight gain from either eastbound 13 days on Celebrity Equinox or westbound 7 days on theQM2 this year…

Must that been the diet of wine and tapas and wine and escargot and wine and fois gras in-between : )

And, the pain aux raison….

Or, it was the vow of stairs on both ships?

I am a great believer in using the stairs to counteract the extra calories. I think that's why I gain weight after a cruise. I keep eating at a cruise level, but my house doesn't have that many stairs.

Doesn't setting the clocks ahead one hour at noon mean that the dining room is open one hour less? It seems that would be much less convenient for passengers and cause more crowding. Am I missing something here?

Me too. On our east bound crossing.......RCL actually had activities planned during the noon hour, which didn't exist when the clocks were set ahead at noon.

Just me personally.....but I do much better setting the clock ahead before I go to bed, and setting whatever watch I'm wearing before I leave the cabin. Somehow, walking down the hallway and losing an hour doesn't work for me. :p

I haven't seen a capnpugwash voyage blog in a while…when's your next one? I have a crossing coming up in July and your blogs help me look forward to my next voyage.

It must stink to lose an hour a day for 5 days. That's one of the reasons that I chose a westbound I guess. I have to say that I greatly enjoyed each of my 25 hour days aboard the Queen last week. But I suppose I could stand the suffering if I had to survive a back to back. :)

I haven't seen a capnpugwash voyage blog in a while…when's your next one? I have a crossing coming up in July and your blogs help me look forward to my next voyage.

I don't post my blogs here anymore. If you look at my signature you will see the blog address there and you are just a few clicks away.

I have to say that I greatly enjoyed each of my 25 hour days aboard the Queen last week.

Me too. :). I personally don't really notice losing the hour when the clocks are set at night. Sure beats losing the full 5 or 6 at once upon landing.

I don't post my blogs here anymore. If you look at my signature you will see the blog address there and you are just a few clicks away.

Yeah, I clicked through and the last one was August 2013 - that's quite the dry spell for you!

Yeah, I clicked through and the last one was August 2013 - that's quite the dry spell for you!

So sorry, the link on Wordpress was wrong. If you try it now you will find many more recent blogs. Just click o my signature again and it should work. :)

FWIW -- I prefer the eastbound because I don't really miss the one hour (when adjustment is at night) but I hate the jet lag flying east (overnight flights that never really provide an opportunity to sleep) and do not mind the change in times flying west (flying during the day and just staying up later than usual at night).

My weight maintenance method is an early morning walk around the ship (QM2) once for every dessert and once for every drink. (I'm not sure it works but it keeps me mindful that there are consequences to over-eating and over-drinking.)

FWIW -- I prefer the eastbound because I don't really miss the one hour (when adjustment is at night) but I hate the jet lag flying east (overnight flights that never really provide an opportunity to sleep) and do not mind the change in times flying west (flying during the day and just staying up later than usual at night).

My weight maintenance method is an early morning walk around the ship (QM2) once for every dessert and once for every drink. (I'm not sure it works but it keeps me mindful that there are consequences to over-eating and over-drinking.)

Can you get a day flight from your nearby airport? I don't like the overnight flights, either. I try to make it through the day without a nap, but somewhere around 6 PM, the "zombie hours" kick in and I find it difficult to stay awake. With the day flight, we do use a whole day of our vacation for the flight, but by the time we get to London, it's 8 or 9 at night. We take a stroll to stretch after the flight, then get a good night's sleep and find ourselves on "local time" the next morning.

And I like your way of trading walks for treats!

When I've looked at daytime eastbound flights their schedule meant that you leave the US early enough that I'd need to get a hotel close to the airport and they arrive in Europe/UK late enough that I'd be looking for another hotel room before traveling on (probably Soton would be close enough, though).