Aussie based cruise tipping

Sorry to sound a bit simple, but Aussie based ships have the tips included in the fare, but American based cruises don't have it included in the fare and although it is automatically added to your account, you can have it taken off.

Aussies pay more for the tips and can't take them off the fare where American fares are cheaper and you don't have to pay the gratuities??

How is that fair

Who said life was fair ;):D:rolleyes:

Seriously though, as I understand it (I'm new to cruising), the daily pre-paid tips on US-based ships are a fairly new concept ie within the past ten (?) years. Prior to that it was very much voluntary but most people who cruised were used to tipping, and probably always tipped.

From what I've read some people do remove the auto-tips but the majority don't. I've come across this concept with European tours (without the ability to remove them) and have found it a very good system. Personally I would never even consider removing the auto-tips except in exceptional circumstances ie if the service during the first couple of days was truly appalling.

Australians are much more used to an all-included price for travel, and are not as used to tipping (restaurants somewhat, but cabin crew / hotel staff no) so I guess that is why the cruise-lines that operate out of Australia make the prices all-inclusive. It may even be required by law. Australia has cracked down on airlines that quoted prices then added on taxes etc separately, so this may be a similar thing.

Who said life was fair ;):D:rolleyes:

Seriously though, as I understand it (I'm new to cruising), the daily pre-paid tips on US-based ships are a fairly new concept ie within the past ten (?) years. Prior to that it was very much voluntary but most people who cruised were used to tipping, and probably always tipped.

From what I've read some people do remove the auto-tips but the majority don't. I've come across this concept with European tours (without the ability to remove them) and have found it a very good system. Personally I would never even consider removing the auto-tips except in exceptional circumstances ie if the service during the first couple of days was truly appalling.

Australians are much more used to an all-included price for travel, and are not as used to tipping (restaurants somewhat, but cabin crew / hotel staff no) so I guess that is why the cruise-lines that operate out of Australia make the prices all-inclusive. It may even be required by law. Australia has cracked down on airlines that quoted prices then added on taxes etc separately, so this may be a similar thing.

Agreed, you may be new to cruising but you have pretty well captured the scene. Australian pricing is supposed to include taxes and fees, not necessarily the tips although, a lot do as it was causing so much confusion an dsome were removing the auto tip.:D

This forum is very informative if you are prepared to spend the time trawling through it. ;)

One thing I've noticed mentioned a couple of times is pricing compared with the US. Although I've seen it compared with UK pricing - UK higher than US by at least 40% - I wonder how the Aussie prices for cruises would compare? Has anyone done any research? I guess you'd have to have access to a VPN so you can appear to be booking from the US to see the US prices. Many websites autodetect your location :(.

I did some research a few years ago on airline prices and was shocked to find how much more expensive air travel is for flights originating in Australia. Some of the examples were double the price of flights originating in London :eek:

Well I do not normally buy into debates on tipping, because really it is a personal thing.

So being personal, we were on the Golden Princess around South America for 31 days, March 1 to April 1, as was 'Karateman.' My wife and I, we are proud Australians and believe it or not we left on our auto tip which totalled around $700 for the cabin and tipped some more to our cabin steward and two MDR stewards at 6.30pm Traditional dining, because the service was brilliant. I also tipped our Head Waiter because he looked after me very well each night with advice re my gluten free diet as I am a Coeliac.

I wonder what Karateman did?

If I was on one of the 'Aussie Princess ships, Dawn/Sea/Sun ' where no doubt auto tips are included in the fare as a wage subsidy, I would probably tip a little more IF the service exceeded my expectations.

We are doing a round NZ and Australia trip of similar length on the Celebrity Solstice in Feb / March next year. our cabin automatic tips equates to around $US700 as well. In addition there is a 15% surcharge on every other purchase on board. When does enough become enough?

I find it interesting that there are cruisers on these boards in addition to paying these auto tips allegedly pay $100's of dollars extra on top of these.

My next question is what does one consider from a crew member on a cruise ship to be "simply doing the job they are paid for" and "What is considered exceptional service requiring extra fiscal reward"?

We are doing a round NZ and Australia trip of similar length on the Celebrity Solstice in Feb / March next year. our cabin automatic tips equates to around $US700 as well. In addition there is a 15% surcharge on every other purchase on board. When does enough become enough?

I find it interesting that there are cruisers on these boards in addition to paying these auto tips allegedly pay $100's of dollars extra on top of these.

My next question is what does one consider from a crew member on a cruise ship to be "simply doing the job they are paid for" and "What is considered exceptional service requiring extra fiscal reward"?

You might find that the price of that cruise is at least $700 cheaper than an equivalent length cruise on one of the Aussie-based boats.

The bar staff, spa staff etc don't get shares in the auto-tips. I guess this is because they offer services that not all people will use. If those were included the daily auto-tips would be higher I would imagine. It's the same as if all drinks were included in your cruise price - then the cost of the cruise would be much higher.

I think you'll recognize exceptional service when you see it ;) But for example, if your waitperson just takes your orders and delivers the food then they are just doing their job, but if they remember your likes and dislikes and go out of their way to ensure your dining experence is as good as it possibly could be then you've had exceptional service.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I did some math on Celebrity's and RCCL's "tipping" structure, assuming $5 pp day for steward so at least $10-20 a room a day, it's likely they would clean at least 20 rooms I would say which is minimum $200 tips a day in gratuities alone, not even counting their base 'wage'.

Makes me think the "tips" are really less tips and more of a wage though.

I say when in Rome do as the Romans do, on US ships we tip just because it's expected but don't tip on the Australian based ships like P&O, Princess and Carnival... after all you pay for it up front and the staff are actually paid a reasonable wage. Many of them said they preferred Aus ships not only because we are more polite than other countries but they get better pay.

I also dislike that expectation to tip on US ships, you sometimes get the feeling the staff couldn't care less about you and are really fake just because they want your money, find that on Aussie ships they are very genuine and seem to just enjoy your company and their jobs.

Would it be as high as $5 per day for the stewards? That per diem auto tip of $12 covers all the housekeeping staff, wait staff, cooks, cleaners, entertainers ie everyone on the ship that isn't servicing a "voluntary" item like drinks or spa services. I think the stewards would be lucky if they saw $1 per day, probably less.

Also I read somewhere that they only get about $100 per month wages. The tips really are a part of their wage.

On the Aussie-based boats I believe the staff get a higher wage but haven't seen any figures bandied about.

Makes me think the "tips" are really less tips and more of a wage though.

They are - which is the standard American way for service staff.

Negligible wage - say $1 an hour, and apparently less for cruise crew, and your actual income is based on tips.

Not quite. For Australian cruises on Celebrity, the bar tip is incorporated in the price, so you don't see a surcharge for drinks.

For spa staff, the standard tip is 18%, not 15%.

For shop purchases, there is no extra gratuity.

That covers all the areas. So the only extra tip you will have is for the spa.

I have seen a lot of comment on how low the wages are for cruise staff but has any one any definitive knowledge of what wages are actually paid. I appreciate many of the workers are from third world countries where wages are not high. When determining wages one must also take into account that accommodation and meals are provided as part of the package.

One thing I've noticed mentioned a couple of times is pricing compared with the US. Although I've seen it compared with UK pricing - UK higher than US by at least 40% - I wonder how the Aussie prices for cruises would compare? Has anyone done any research?

Unfortunately, the only 'research' has been very selective.

People have come here, guns blazing, when they've found something not in their favour, but when challenged with contra examples argue the toss then disappear.

I agree with you about the airline market, and fortunately cruises are not like that. My own experience is there isn't a consistent bias either way. Some pricing is comparable, and some bargains exist either way. I've seen some of the cheapest cruises worldwide in the Australian market.

As in many areas though, the cruise lines aren't there as charity and it's a 'luxury' market as well, so they're going to make money wherever they can. Which means if demand spikes, they'll keep rising prices, and they do that worldwide.

I have seen a lot of comment on how low the wages are for cruise staff but has any one any definitive knowledge of what wages are actually paid.

As it's none of our business, and not regulated, there's no readily published "award" rate that people can access to satisfy their curiosity.

However, based on statements from staff, and job listings, the wage is around the $75-100/month mark, depending on title and experience.

When determining wages one must also take into account that accommodation and meals are provided as part of the package.

You could equally say when determining wages one must also take into account that they're away from home for 7 month periods, and work 7 days on, 0 days off.

Try finding a miner, or other FIFO worker such as on offshore rigs with conditions anywhere as tough as that - and with wages anywhere near as low as that.

And they also get board and food included!

Edited by The_Big_M

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/Janangtal/imagejpg1-3.jpg

Breakdown of gratuities on Celebrity Ships

I thought it didn't add up but realised that some listings were mutually exclusive. So based on 20 cabins, that's about $70 per day for 7 x 24 stateroom service.

Just as a comparison, minimum wage in Australia is $16.37 per hour or $130.96 for an eight hour day.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Unfortunately, the only 'research' has been very selective.

People have come here, guns blazing, when they've found something not in their favour, but when challenged with contra examples argue the toss then disappear.

I agree with you about the airline market, and fortunately cruises are not like that. My own experience is there isn't a consistent bias either way. Some pricing is comparable, and some bargains exist either way. I've seen some of the cheapest cruises worldwide in the Australian market.

As in many areas though, the cruise lines aren't there as charity and it's a 'luxury' market as well, so they're going to make money wherever they can. Which means if demand spikes, they'll keep rising prices, and they do that worldwide.

Good to hear that the cruise market isn't like the airline market :) Interestingly, as an aside, I noticed Qantas business class prices to Europe have dropped significantly since they've been partnered with Emirates. Still outrageous to the US though.

A few years ago our neighbours were invited to join some friends of theirs, who currently live in the US, on a Mediterranean cruise. They went to book the cruise but the prices were much higher than they expected. They contacted their friends in the US who booked for our neighbours at a much cheaper rate. Thousands of dollars cheaper. That's why I've been wondering.

One of these days when I have a bit more time I'll sign up on one of those VPN services and do some research of my own ;)

Just wondering if anyone who has sailed on the Sea Princess recently have tipped for room service, waiters and stewards etc and if so, roughly how much should I offer?

Cheers - not long now for our June 1 cruise :D

We’ve not sailed on Princess but in our previous cruises on Holland American Line & Celebrity, gratuities were added on to our daily account.

However, when we ordered room service for breakfast or other times, we usually give the delivery person a tip (about $2 to $4).

The thing we’ve noticed is that the delivery person is in and out of the room very fast and does not hang around, waiting for a tip. I’ve learnt on CC before our last cruise, to put the tip money in the slot of the door where the ‘Do Not Disturb’ card is kept. That way, the money is handy when we are holding the door for the delivery person.

During our last cruise, when we did a back-to back, at the end of the first and last segment, we gave our dining steward & cabin steward tips (about $50 each) in envelopes (in addition to the already included gratuities) at the end of the finale dinner. For us, it was just a nice end to the cruise – to see someone really happy when handed the tip envelope.

Together, in the tip envelope, we also included a letter of commendation, citing specific things our dining steward / cabin steward had done that had made the cruise so enjoyable for us. We cited specific things like how impressed we were that the dining steward remembers that I like a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon during meal times. And, every evening the minute we sit down, the cup of hot water appears without our asking. It may sound tedious having to write during our holiday, but I did enjoy it during sea day to just think about how well treated we were and putting it on paper. We were told later that these letters go a long way in putting our stewards ahead when it comes to promotions and renewal of contracts.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Good point about filling out the cards. You can get extra at the passenger services desk. You can either hand them to the crew themselves or put them in a drop box. Most times I use the drop box. And like tips you don't have to write one unless you feel they deserve it. And if you do think your cabin steward deserves a tip or card it's best to do it on the last night as you might not see them on the last morning, you both will be busy :)

Can someone give some examples of "exceptional" service? I don't think filling the ice bucket cuts it.

One example, A waitress in the Cafe' al baccio takes our order everyday and makes sure that no matter what time of the morning we go there that there is a couple of Carrot muffins available for us (putting them aside just for us). The same waitress works MDR select ding each evening, it doesn't matter what time or where we sit, she would bring a couple of baileys turn up after mains are cleared and before dessert as she knew from the first night. That is exceptional service and she got a great tip for it.:D

You could equally say when determining wages one must also take into account that they're away from home for 7 month periods, and work 7 days on, 0 days off.

Try finding a miner, or other FIFO worker such as on offshore rigs with conditions anywhere as tough as that - and with wages anywhere near as low as that.

And they also get board and food included!

Not to mention that the staff may also work a 12- 14 hour day over several periods (e.g. 6 hours in the morning/ 2 hour break/ 4 hours in the afternoon / 2 hour break and then another 4-6 hours in the evening)

Not to mention that the staff may also work a 12- 14 hour day over several periods (e.g. 6 hours in the morning/ 2 hour break/ 4 hours in the afternoon / 2 hour break and then another 4-6 hours in the evening)

Military work worst hours. Navy, Army, Air Force.

Not when they are cruising.;)

I know that, but I will say one thing. Out of the Navy and a cruise line the cruise ship staff have it easy. It is a walk in the park working on a cruise ship compared to the Navy any day.

I know that, but I will say one thing. Out of the Navy and a cruise line the cruise ship staff have it easy. It is a walk in the park working on a cruise ship compared to the Navy any day.

I am sure it is. The navy especially have some terrible jobs to do that may go against their principals as well but they have to follow orders.:D