Denali Wilderness Tour

watertraveler

I know that the natural history tour is included in RCCL's cruise tour but I want to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Do I wait until we get to Denali to upgrade or is it possible to upgrade before? Do I abandon RCCL's tour completely and book with the tour on my own?

What has been your experience with getting on this tour?

Thanks!

Nancy

The policy could have changed from last yr so it's best to call RCI and ask. Maybe post back to let others know.

IMHO the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center is a better option than the TWT. It goes further into the park (to mile 66 instead of 53) in the same amount of time, and it takes you to a great destination (the Visitor Center has awesome views if the mtn is out, exhibits, rangers, established trails. Plus a shuttle leaves every 15 minutes so you can choose a time that best suits your needs.

Even if RCI doesn't refund your NHT, the shuttle cost is less than $45. You'll need to pick up a sack lunch and drink ... your hotel can do that for you or there's a Subway nearby.

p.s. check your arrival and departure times from Denali to ensure you have time for the TWT or shuttle !

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

Tours and the shuttle buses are much different experiences....some differences...

Tours Shuttles

Interpretative Presentations by the drivers Yes No

Food and Beverage Yes No

Fee including NPS entry fee Yes No

Pick up at DNP hotels Yes No

Charges for kids? Yes No

Opportunity to hike No Yes

Goes to Eielson Visitor Center No Yes

Goes to Wonder Lake No Yes

Guarantees wildlife No No

this is taken directly from the Hotel and Tour information book given to TA's and Visitor Info Centers that was written by DNP services....2013...Probablly has changed much this year...and remember....if you are a Senior, you can get a Golden Pass at the Federal Parks Building on 4th Ave in Anchorage for $10.00 which allows you free access.....and if you have a car, you can drive back anytime to Savage river....13-14 miles....Hopes this helps.....:)

The policy could have changed from last yr so it's best to call RCI and ask. Maybe post back to let others know.

IMHO the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center is a better option than the TWT. It goes further into the park (to mile 66 instead of 53) in the same amount of time, and it takes you to a great destination (the Visitor Center has awesome views if the mtn is out, exhibits, rangers, established trails. Plus a shuttle leaves every 15 minutes so you can choose a time that best suits your needs.

Even if RCI doesn't refund your NHT, the shuttle cost is less than $45. You'll need to pick up a sack lunch and drink ... your hotel can do that for you or there's a Subway nearby.

p.s. check your arrival and departure times from Denali to ensure you have time for the TWT or shuttle !

We are on an RCCL tour and intend to switch from the NHT to the TWT; however, if we opt out to do the shuttle to Eielson, how long is the trip?:rolleyes: We will be staying overnight somewhere in Denali but don't know where yet and how will we get back to the hotel, since the tour bus will probably have already left for the hotel?:eek:

We are on an RCCL tour and intend to switch from the NHT to the TWT; however, if we opt out to do the shuttle to Eielson, how long is the trip?:rolleyes: We will be staying overnight somewhere in Denali but don't know where yet and how will we get back to the hotel, since the tour bus will probably have already left for the hotel?:eek:

The Eielson shuttle and the TWT are both 8 hrs.

- TWT goes to Toklat at Mile 53 and may go to Stoney Overlook at mile 62 if the mtn is out.

- Eielson is at mile 66.

Look at the Denali reservation site where you can see the park map and the stopping points. http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

It takes about 4 hrs to reach Eielson, you have a break for 35-40 minutes to see the exhibits, use the restrooms, have your sack lunch, etc. Then about 3 1/2 hrs for the return trip. OR you can go for a hike and catch a later bus back.

The shuttle leaves every 15 minutes so you have a lot more flexibility over when you want to travel. I think with the TWT you choose either the morning trip or the afternoon.

As to how to get back to your hotel. ... a few options.

- If your on a cruise tour your hotel or the cruiseline may have a shuttle to/from the park entrance.

- ask other passengers for a ride. Many of them will have cars

- walk. Depending on where you're staying it might be a mile. There's a well worn path along the hwy. After you cross the big bridge, take a short cut using the Jonesville trail. You'll probably have company.

- the Denali Salmon Bake has had a shuttle in the past. Google them to see if their schedule works for you.

Are you sure that your will be staying overnight "somewhere in Denali"? The only accommodations I know about that are actually IN Denali are at the end of the road or in tents. You are probably staying outside of but near Denali.

DON

The Eielson shuttle and the TWT are both 8 hrs.

- TWT goes to Toklat at Mile 53 and may go to Stoney Overlook at mile 62 if the mtn is out.

- Eielson is at mile 66.

Look at the Denali reservation site where you can see the park map and the stopping points. http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

It takes about 4 hrs to reach Eielson, you have a break for 35-40 minutes to see the exhibits, use the restrooms, have your sack lunch, etc. Then about 3 1/2 hrs for the return trip. OR you can go for a hike and catch a later bus back.

The shuttle leaves every 15 minutes so you have a lot more flexibility over when you want to travel. I think with the TWT you choose either the morning trip or the afternoon.

As to how to get back to your hotel. ... a few options.

- If your on a cruise tour your hotel or the cruiseline may have a shuttle to/from the park entrance.

- ask other passengers for a ride. Many of them will have cars

- walk. Depending on where you're staying it might be a mile. There's a well worn path along the hwy. After you cross the big bridge, take a short cut using the Jonesville trail. You'll probably have company.

- the Denali Salmon Bake has had a shuttle in the past. Google them to see if their schedule works for you.

Thanks for all of the great info! Will make a decision when I'm better informed from the tour people!:rolleyes:

Are you sure that your will be staying overnight "somewhere in Denali"? The only accommodations I know about that are actually IN Denali are at the end of the road or in tents. You are probably staying outside of but near Denali.

DON

Have not got final documents yet and the only thing the tour information says so far is "overnight in Denali".:rolleyes: Egad! Surely it's not in a tent!:eek: Paid lots of $$ for a tent? I don't think so!:rolleyes: Just kidding. Hoping the tour company will reveal the name the hotel when final documents are ready.

Have not got final documents yet and the only thing the tour information says so far is "overnight in Denali".:rolleyes: Egad! Surely it's not in a tent!:eek: Paid lots of $$ for a tent? I don't think so!:rolleyes: Just kidding. Hoping the tour company will reveal the name the hotel when final documents are ready.

If you look at the STICKY above, called '2013 alaska cruise reviews', you'll see which Denali area hotels RCI used last yr. Go to reply #45 where they reviews are sorted by cruiseline.

Our cruise/tour with HAL includes TWT the AM of our first full day at Denali. Is going to Eielson the second day worth considering; what alternatives should we consider? We can no longer handle much hiking. Thanks!

If you look at the STICKY above, called '2013 alaska cruise reviews', you'll see which Denali area hotels RCI used last yr. Go to reply #45 where they reviews are sorted by cruiseline.

I've actually narrowed the hotels down to 2 from reading past CC posts or from the site; can't remember where I got them but will check the site again. Thanks!;)

Our cruise/tour with HAL includes TWT the AM of our first full day at Denali. Is going to Eielson the second day worth considering; what alternatives should we consider? We can no longer handle much hiking. Thanks!

Doesn't HAL have a list of excursions for you to review? Look thru the 'what to do' list from the Denali Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.denalichamber.com/

Certainly a 2nd bus trip is worth considering, but it really depends on YOUR interest level. A friend of mine went to Alaska a few years ago and only visited Denali because I insisted. She thought she would hate the bus ride. Instead she LOVED it so much that she hopped off the bus and immediately bought a ticket to go again the next day! And the next year went back for 3 full days of bus rides. She was 70 and didn't hike.

Another option ... take a courtesy bus to watch the free sled dog demo at 10, 2 or 4pm. And take another courtesy bus to Savage River at Mile 15 ... you can either ride the bus back or hop off and walk along the established river trail. It's flat and takes about 1 1/2 hrs.. good chance to see caribou here. http://www.nps.gov/dena/photosmultimedia/savagecanyon.htm

Other ideas in the park newsletter, including some short trails around the park entrance, exhibits, etc: http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/upload/Alpenglow2014_int.pdf