AFT Cabin in Alaska vs Side of Ship

garycarla

I know that everyone loves those aft cabins. We have never been inclined to do that. We just got upgraded to an aft mini on our Alaska cruise on the Pearl. Now, trying to figure out what to do.

The negatives we see in an aft are that you can not see where you are going. Also, there is some vibration at the back of the ship that tends to bring up motion issues. Vibrations tend to get to me, more than motion. Also a smaller issue that we probably live with are the chairs/tables above us at the Great Outdoors and early morning cleaning.

One of the best views I have ever seen is the sunrise coming into Seattle a few years ago. Would not happen from the aft of course.

QUESTION : Am I over thinking this? Should we try it out, or just ask to get moved to a side of the ship?

Edited by garycarla

I know that everyone loves those aft cabins. We have never been inclined to do that. We just got upgraded to an aft mini on our Alaska cruise on the Pearl. Now, trying to figure out what to do.

The negatives we see in an aft are that you can not see where you are going. Also, there is some vibration at the back of the ship that tends to bring up motion issues. Vibrations tend to get to me, more than motion. Also a smaller issue that we probably live with are the chairs/tables above us at the Great Outdoors and early morning cleaning.

One of the best views I have ever seen is the sunrise coming into Seattle a few years ago. Would not happen from the aft of course.

QUESTION : Am I over thinking this? Should we try it out, or just ask to get moved to a side of the ship?

That is tough. We had the same debate (and we love aft facing cabins). We booked a port side mini for Alaska because we really want to be able to lean out and see forward and aft. I think this is even more important with your day in Glacier Bay when most of the view will be on port side (granted, they do spin the ship around, but the starboard side does not get the same amount of time).

Of course when the price dropped on the aft suites, we moved, LOL. But we figured we could run down a flight of stairs to the promenade if we wanted a view from a different angle.

You could do this same quickly going to deck 12 or 13...

We really enjoyed the aft a couple years ago. Up to Alaska we have been on both sides, the top (Haven) and the aft. Next year we have a penthouse on the front of the Jewel. We will then know our favorite location on the ship. I know my soon to be DW loved spending time on our aft balcony more than any other balcony. It is very peaceful back there (on deck 10 anyway).

I think you should do the aft. It's kind of like cruising, you should experience for yourself to make your own determination. You will get opinions saying they love it and others that don't care for it. Until you do it you will wonder. If you absolutely love it you will be so happy you did it. If you don't care for it then you will know and don't get a room there again. We did not notice any issues with motion or vibrations.

No matter what you do you will be on a cruise so it's all good :D:D

we only do aft cabins and the only ship we felt vibes was on the Epic when they started up, it didn't last long maybe a min.

The pluses are NO wind, yes you don't get to see where your going but you do get 180 degree to see both sides rather than just port or starboard side. Whatever everyone else see's first we'll get to see shortly after.

By far more pluses than minuses for AFT.

For Alaska we did the last sail of the season so mid Sept and spent the entire time on the balcony when not off ship, even when sailing.

When going into Glacier Bay we went up top but leaving we made sure we were on our aft balcony. The ship makes a very slow turn around and we got to see everything back there plus much more as we were leaving. DH has some fabulous pictures of birds flying by the ship with the glacier in the background and then the birds perched on an ice chunk.

And as the others said, the wind is really blocked back there. We were able to sit out on the balcony without coats for much of the cruise. (early September)

We had an aft facing penthouse on the Sun for our Alaska cruise and would want to be nowhere else. I have never understood, the "can't see where you are going" comment. If you look at any of our spectacular photos, I defy anyone to tell whether or not they were taken facing forward or backwards.

With a starboard or port side cabin, you totally miss what you are passing on the other side of the ship. With an aft, you see BOTH sides at once. A 180* view. When we went into Glacier Bay, we got to see it all twice, both sides coming in, both sides coming out. They did a complete very slow rotation at least twice, and you almost forget you are on a huge cruise ship, because you see nothing of the ship, except for the few balconies across the aft. As opposed to looking over the port side rail, for instance, down the length of a very long ship.

We were on deck 9. No noise, no trash from above. We only felt vibration a couple times, I think both at some narrow point of the Inside Passage. It was a little startling untill we figured it out, but it did not bother us at all.

Just another nod of agreement with what others have posted... aft suite on the Jewel in Alaska and we spent SO much time out there... ate there, napped there, drank there... it was a nice, nice place to be.

I also shrug at the "can't see where we're going" bit -- whatever disadvantage there is to this (?!?!) is far outweighed by being able to use the balcony pretty much all the time while being protected from rain and, more importantly, wind.

I noticed zero vibration on the Jewel or any excessive abnormal movement. There was none of the fabled foodstuffs falling from deck 12 or any noise/crap falling from cleaning.

You have to try it out... just do it. There are plenty of places on the ship to get forward views, but only (counting...1, 2, 3) three public areas on the Jewel ships to get solid aft views.

I also support what others have said about the aft cabins. We have been to Alaska twice in aft cabins on the Sun and once in a starboard bump cabin aboard the Radiance of the Seas (because all the afts were already booked).

No one has mentioned that if you have an aft cabin, keep your TV tuned to the forward-facing webcam, and you'll experience both forward and aft.

When we were in the starboard cabin, I kept wondering what views people on the port side were experiencing, especially during the day we were in Canada's Inside Passage.

I haven't noticed any more vibration in the aft cabins than other places aboard.

Enjoy Alaska! I'm so envious.

Glacier3-L.jpg

You folks have me thinking this will be fine. Will seem strange not being to look forward as we often do. Never really though much about what folks on the other side were looking at, but it does make sense.

Since we would be right under the Great Outdoors, maybe we can get someone to drop down coffee and danish! On our recent Dawn cruises, we missed having that area for breakfast.

We have done the aft suite in Alaska and didn't enjoy it as much as forward, but did enjoy it more than a side cabin. For us, it's more about the cabin itself first. If suites are equal, we prefer forward first, aft second, side last.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We have done the aft suite in Alaska and didn't enjoy it as much as forward, but did enjoy it more than a side cabin. For us, it's more about the cabin itself first. If suites are equal, we prefer forward first, aft second, side last.

Robin

Whereas we'd take aft, then side, with forward being last...unless the forward suite is an OS. :D;)

Are the "regular" aft balcony cabins on the Sun smaller than the side facing ones? The NCL website seems to indicate that they are. Say the B1 vs a BA or BB ???

Thanks

You'd have to check the square footage on the website. From the deck plan I'm looking at, some of the B1s do appear to be slightly more narrow in width, but take a look at the aft ones on deck 10. They look much larger than the normal balcony cabin and as with most afts, the balcony is humongous compared with a normal balcony.

For me, for Alaska, the port side of the ship ON my balcony is my favorite place. When it pulled up to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay....it was so peaceful and beautiful. I filmed the glacier calving. I couldn't have heard that anywhere but my balcony.

editing...did I mention 10 more days?!!!???!!

and..I love the Pearl. Have sailed her 3 times, No4 coming up :D

:D

Edited by Traveller20074

Hi Guys !

I prefer forward in Alaska.

That being said, I guess I'd do aft especially if you're going on a shoulder cruise as you'll be toasty and aft is nice. Shouldn't be any vibration issues above deck 8. Buy a sound machine at Brookstone and you'll never hear any noise.

All that being said, nothing wrong with a side cabin either and I'd get port if you enjoy watching activities.

Enjoy !

Cinci and David :)

... Shouldn't be any vibration issues above deck 8. Buy a sound machine ..

Thanks for comments. Issue is not the noise, but the slight vibration. The noise from the wake might even be cool.

Stupid little personal thing, but I have actually changed tables in a restaurant due to slight vibration. A hotel table once had a vibration from A/C unit that was not noticeable until I sat at a table with a computer and there it was. Had to put towels under the table legs to damper it. Weird, eh?

We've done Alaska 3 times - 2xs starboard, 1xs aft ph. I love the starboard side because when you are going north and are closer to the shore you have a 24/7 view of the shoreline, which is in a word spectacular. I know people are going to say when you go south the port side has the view, BUT, a lot of that transit time is at night. Another reason that I like starboard is that when you are in port you have really nice views of the city, especially Ketchikan and Skagway. In Juneau it depends on whether they dock butt in or bow in. As far as glacier viewing goes, side doesn't matter, they spin the ship - all sides get to see the glacier. One other advantage of a starboard side cabin going through the Inside Passage, you have a better chance of seeing wildlife.

The aft ph is my favorite suite, and in Alaska it was wonderful to have that big balcony to stretch out on and watch the world go by. When you are headed south you will get spectacular sunsets (especially in the Lynn Canal) and sunrises when you are going north. You will also be able to utilize the balcony in bad weather (on one trip it drizzled the whole trip, the other 2 trips the weather was great).

Whatever you choose you will love Alaska!!!