Century Alaska - worth it??

screech

Hi, posting for a friend who wants to take his wife and two children (8 and 11) on an Alaskan cruise this summer, but has to be in July. He's looking at the Century r/t out of Vancouver, but saw that the ship is due to be overhauled soon. The prices are good, but he wonders if this reflects the ships condition…any comments or experience?? Thanks!

I was on the Century for the first time about six weeks ago and had read a lot of the negative comments. I had a great time, though, and thought the ship was in great shape with a very friendly crew. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer S class ships but has a charm of its own.

I am going back on in just over two weeks myself for an Alaskan cruise and am really looking forward to it.

I love Century -- I've now spent more nights aboard her than any other ship afloat! Our Caribbean Century b2b in February was one of the best cruises DH and I have ever taken. That being said, IMHO, it's not a great ship for kids. Don't know what the kids' club facility is like, but the other public space amenities are limited to:

-- two small outdoor pools

-- four small jacuzzi's (outdoors also)

-- two ping-pong tables (crammed into an elevator lobby)

-- a basketball court

-- jogging track (that has seen better days)

-- and, of course, the requisite shuffleboard court

There were only a few kids on our February b2b, but most times we saw them around the ship, they looked bored out of their minds.

For adults, the Persian Garden is nice (but the week-long pass is pricey). The small gym has good equipment and great views -- but gets crowded in the morning. My biggest problem with sailing Century to Alaska (or any other cold-weather itinerary) is the lack of any sort of Solarium or indoor pool. We really missed that, on our round-trip to Hawaii -- only had a couple of days crossing the Pacific that were warm enough to use the pool deck.

Not trying to scare anyone off from taking Century to Alaska. But, when I read the criticisms and bad reviews of one of my favorite ships, I usually see a common thread. If someone has a miserable time on that ship, it's usually because they either did not do their homework, or, they have unrealistic expectations. If you know what to expect, Century is a great ship, with a wonderful crew! :cool:

We have been on Century 2 times in the last 1.5 years...and are scheduled for her T/P in September...as she says "Good-Bye" to the US....she is a great, "grand-dame"...and we love sailing on her...smaller...older...yes...but still a very special ship!!...for many of us here on CC and X cruisers!!! LuAnn

I would highly recommend the Century. She was the first ship I sailed 18 years ago and I recently returned from a coastal cruise on her. Loved the ship just as much as I did back then, so much so that I booked her again for August. She's a beauty in very good shape. Food, service and entertainment were all fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Worth it? Yes! We loved her, loved her crew. I wish we were able to go on her one last time.

As someone said, I'm not sure how kid friendly it is. We saw some kids on our trip but I don't know what they have in the way of activities for kids. There is no indoor pool. On port days the whole family will be off the ship together exploring. It's worth looking into.

I love Century -- I've now spent more nights aboard her than any other ship afloat! Our Caribbean Century b2b in February was one of the best cruises DH and I have ever taken. That being said, IMHO, it's not a great ship for kids. Don't know what the kids' club facility is like, but the other public space amenities are limited to:

-- two small outdoor pools

-- four small jacuzzi's (outdoors also)

-- two ping-pong tables (crammed into an elevator lobby)

-- a basketball court

-- jogging track (that has seen better days)

-- and, of course, the requisite shuffleboard court

There were only a few kids on our February b2b, but most times we saw them around the ship, they looked bored out of their minds.

For adults, the Persian Garden is nice (but the week-long pass is pricey). The small gym has good equipment and great views -- but gets crowded in the morning. My biggest problem with sailing Century to Alaska (or any other cold-weather itinerary) is the lack of any sort of Solarium or indoor pool. We really missed that, on our round-trip to Hawaii -- only had a couple of days crossing the Pacific that were warm enough to use the pool deck.

Not trying to scare anyone off from taking Century to Alaska. But, when I read the criticisms and bad reviews of one of my favorite ships, I usually see a common thread. If someone has a miserable time on that ship, it's usually because they either did not do their homework, or, they have unrealistic expectations. If you know what to expect, Century is a great ship, with a wonderful crew! :cool:

Worth it? Yes! We loved her, loved her crew. I wish we were able to go on her one last time.

As someone said, I'm not sure how kid friendly it is. We saw some kids on our trip but I don't know what they have in the way of activities for kids. There is no indoor pool. On port days the whole family will be off the ship together exploring. It's worth looking into.

Agree with the above. I've seen the negative reviews claiming the ship is "run down", "poorly maintained", etc. We just didn't think that at all - and this was my wife's 99th cruise, she used to own a TA. Didn't affect us as our "kid" is 33 and wasn't along, but the activities/attractions for kids are definitely limited - especially in cold weather.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Agree with the above. I've seen the negative reviews claiming the ship is "run down", "poorly maintained", etc. We just didn't think that at all - and this was my wife's 99th cruise, she used to own a TA. Didn't affect us as our "kid" is 33 and wasn't along, but the activities/attractions for kids are definitely limited - especially in cold weather.

I agree we had a wonderful cruise last Sept on the Century, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I think the kids might get a little bored as it seems the Alaskan cruises don't usually have many kids on board, and the ship is smaller with less to do.