Do you love your rolling garment bag?

NYteacher

I'm looking for suggestions from people who really love their rolling garment bag. We frequently drive to the port so airline luggage restrictions are not an issue.

This board is such a wealth of knowledge and I believe fellow cruisers are the most likely to have this type of luggage.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who really love their rolling garment bag. We frequently drive to the port so airline luggage restrictions are not an issue.

This board is such a wealth of knowledge and I believe fellow cruisers are the most likely to have this type of luggage.

I love our rolling garment bag for flying or cruising. I prefer my clothes hanging and not folded. For car trip vacations, I use a nice heavy vinyl type garment bag that zips top to bottom, and can be folded in half if necessary. That said, for whatever reason my DH hates the rolling garment bag.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Our rolling garment bag is a Quest Travelware, which we purchased at Sam's Club warehouse at least 10 years ago...Have used it for all of our cruises..

When we pack it we start with 2 to three of DH's Long sleeve dress shirts on a hangar then add his suit.. Each dress shirt's sleeves go into the next sleeve then I put those three shirt sleeves into his jacket sleeves & finally stuff them with tissue...

I do the same with all my dress clothes.. Skirts/slacks are hung folded in half, then blouses/tops sleeves are put inside each other & finally add a dress jacket with all sleeves tucked inside..Then all tops/jackets stuffed with tissue..I have loads of pockets in our rolling bag for misc. shoes, scarves, dress purses etc. We secure all the clothes in the back with the little tab closures & then day of departure we fold up the bag in half & take it to the car.. Once in while I have to send things out to be pressed, but mostly they hang out in a hot shower or by using Downey Wrinkle Remover on some of them..

Years ago, I purchased a couple of foam pipe wrap insulation which I cut to size (easy to cut with a scissor) & slide over the bottom rung of the hangar.. It comes in 6ft lengths//Don't remove the cellophane inside the opening, so you can reuse it.. Also use them in our other bags to put between creases..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tubolit-1-2-in-x-6-ft-Polyethylene-Foam-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-R3-3-OEP05812/204593389

Put slacks, skirts etc which must be folded in half..That too helps to keep creases out..

Edited by serendipity1499

We have 2. DW's is an Andiamo Valaroso 10 Suiter Long rolling luggage bag. It's awesome for traveling with several long gowns. It's super rugged, ballistic materials, over-built to the max. Quite honestly, it's the perfect woman's garment bag for longer trips. Sadly, the company ceased operation in 2009.

Mine is the big Tumi from the Alpha series. It's not as long as DW's, but it's got more compartments inside and out. I can fit my tuxedo, a suit, sport coats & slacks (2 or 3) and all the shirts I need for a two week+ trip.

Both bags have been in service for over a decade. Other than a couple broken zipper pulls, a busted strap, and a bent handle (Thank you, Logan luggage handling!) they're in excellent shape. We consider them to be essential. We usually pack them within 2 pounds of the 50 limit when we go on a long trip. We also have a large (not enormous) Tumi rolling suitcase where the casual stuff goes. (Hooray for being close to Port Everglades.)

Since you are not planning to fly with the bag, you probably don't have to spend $1,000 on a garment bag. If you are planning to take longer garments, look for the longest bag you can find. DW's is 52", but you will be hard pressed to find anything that long. You should be able to find 50" bags though.

If one of our bags failed, I would definitely replace it. I agree that hanging things travel nicer in a garment bag.

Oh yes!! It is our most important piece of luggage. I think we are now on #3. We had to buy them at Macy's, because I have not seen one at TJMaxx or Marshall's. You really don't see them much ---I usually scope out the luggage on the last night. I could never figure out how people packed dresses/good pants/blazers.

We have a more narrow one for short trips.

Thanks for the comments. I have to laugh at myself because my title clearly asks the direct question of whether you love your garment bag. I was actually trying to get suggestions of which specific one you own and love.

There are so many choices that I was hoping to narrow it down based on your recommendations.

Thanks for the comments. I have to laugh at myself because my title clearly asks the direct question of whether you love your garment bag. I was actually trying to get suggestions of which specific one you own and love.

There are so many choices that I was hoping to narrow it down based on your recommendations.

Okay. What do you plan to pack? How many days worth? What is your budget? :confused:

POA1, please no frowny face from you---I love your reviews and comments. I think I'm still waiting to hear what happened with the lettuce and tomato on your club sandwich. Although maybe you finished the story on one of the days when I was frantically trying to finish my inane "buying a co-op" paperwork.

Your suggestions of Tumi Alpha, and an earlier one about Travel Quest were just the type of suggestions I wanted.

I was just commenting on the lovely responses that answered the actual question I asked and thinking I phrased it poorly.

POA1, please no frowny face from you---I love your reviews and comments. I think I'm still waiting to hear what happened with the lettuce and tomato on your club sandwich. Although maybe you finished the story on one of the days when I was frantically trying to finish my inane "buying a co-op" paperwork.

Your suggestions of Tumi Alpha, and an earlier one about Travel Quest were just the type of suggestions I wanted.

I was just commenting on the lovely responses that answered the actual question I asked and thinking I phrased it poorly.

No problem. I thought maybe we didn't answer your question. But, since I have kept you waiting on my magical club sandwich finale, I'll look up the Consumer Reports ratings for garment bags after dinner. :) Smiley face!

Back with the research... Take a look at the TravelPro 50" rolling garment bag. If you can find the one from the Crew 9 line, you can probably get a great deal because it's been discontinued. The new model is in the Platinum Magna line, but the Crew 9 version is almost 50% less.

You have to remember we are writing from all parts of the US, Canada and Europe. You are going to have to see what is available in YOUR area. You know how to judge luggage and brands. Even if you go to Macy's, you are only going to find a few. I look for a quality manufacturer and then I also go by weight, since that is now an issue. I have NEVER seen the ones mentioned here---and I live in a major metropolitan area. Make sure it is deep enough to hold lots of stuff.

You can fill up the sides with soft items, sleepwear. We never had a problem filling the entire thing up, making it's weight close 50 lbs.

Where do you live that there are so many choices? My most important advice---don't buy Tumi or some expensive brand. Go to Macy's. These things get beat up and fall apart easier than a suitcase. There are too many things sticking out! Like I said, we are on #3. Look to see how the edges are made.

The rolling garment bag is our staple suitcase. It must not be a very popular style because we have to search for reasonably priced ones. We are just buying Delsey brand on sale via Kohls, Macys or online. They are not very sturdy but even the expensive ones have gotten really beat up by airlines. We just replace them as needed.

I'd be ok with another style, but it sure is convenient to just hang everything up out of the suitcase. I use the flat flocked hangers and throw them out if my suitcase is too full or too heavy for the return trip. A big pack of them is quite inexpensive at tJ MAxx or equivalent.

Years ago, I purchased a couple of foam pipe wrap insulation which I cut to size (easy to cut with a scissor) & slide over the bottom rung of the hangar.. It comes in 6ft lengths//Don't remove the cellophane inside the opening, so you can reuse it.. Also use them in our other bags to put between creases..

Smart notion, I would also recommend just getting a pool noodle at the dollar store and using that.

I have always used a hanging bag.. now rolling bag. would not ever travel without it. I can unpack completely in two or three minutes. I use the rolling Briggs and Riley. two pairs of shoes fit perfectly in the two top anglel compartments . two pairs of flatter shoes in the fold up pocket. I layer my clothing on hangers. but use an eagle creek packet for tops and also purses and scarves/shawls. I also have a hanging jewelry bag and a hanging lingerie bag.The lingerie bag I put in the outside pocket.

Like i said... unpacking is a snap. I don't understand those who want to be packing and unpacking. And unzipped it fills easily under a bed to be out of the way. I do carry a separate small tote for toiletries, fine jewelry.

I have traveled to 100 countries on cruises and land tours. really really simple!Plus very few wrinkles if you cover your clothing with drycleaning bags.

on longer trips such as around the world I do also bring a canvas tote for souvenirs.

I have always used a hanging bag.. now rolling bag. would not ever travel without it. I can unpack completely in two or three minutes. I use the rolling Briggs and Riley. two pairs of shoes fit perfectly in the two top anglel compartments . two pairs of flatter shoes in the fold up pocket. I layer my clothing on hangers. but use an eagle creek packet for tops and also purses and scarves/shawls. I also have a hanging jewelry bag and a hanging lingerie bag.The lingerie bag I put in the outside pocket.

Like i said... unpacking is a snap. I don't understand those who want to be packing and unpacking. And unzipped it fills easily under a bed to be out of the way. I do carry a separate small tote for toiletries, fine jewelry.

I have traveled to 100 countries on cruises and land tours. really really simple!Plus very few wrinkles if you cover your clothing with drycleaning bags.

on longer trips such as around the world I do also bring a canvas tote for souvenirs.

You have to remember we are writing from all parts of the US, Canada and Europe. You are going to have to see what is available in YOUR area. You know how to judge luggage and brands. Even if you go to Macy's, you are only going to find a few. I look for a quality manufacturer and then I also go by weight, since that is now an issue. I have NEVER seen the ones mentioned here---and I live in a major metropolitan area. Make sure it is deep enough to hold lots of stuff.

You can fill up the sides with soft items, sleepwear. We never had a problem filling the entire thing up, making it's weight close 50 lbs.

Where do you live that there are so many choices? My most important advice---don't buy Tumi or some expensive brand. Go to Macy's. These things get beat up and fall apart easier than a suitcase. There are too many things sticking out! Like I said, we are on #3. Look to see how the edges are made.

I live in the heart of New York City and I have the internet at my fingertips. The reason why I asked on this board is because I wanted actual experience from travelers I trust.

We do travel with a rolling garmet bag...a Samsonite. It will hold DH's suit, sport coat, dress shirts and my dresses and some nice tops. I put my dress shoes in pockets and in bottom we place his ties, my shawls, and dress purse.