Live from Millennium

NJ Fred

This is a live update from aboard Millennium. I am writing this at 10:30 AM on Thursday, May 15. Millennium is just under one day out of our last Port-of-Call at Petropavlovsk, Russia.

Before departing, I posted stating that I would somewhat ignore the many negative reviews about conditions on Millennium. Succinctly, other than the normal effects of a ship sailing in a corrosive salt water environment and some deck and public area furniture that cries out for replacement, I have seen no extraordinary wear. Our stateroom is immaculate and tended to by a steward who is the epitome of professionalism. I will post a far more detailed review when I return on May 24th.

I write today to tell you that Millennium is a “sick ship.” The Norovirus noted by those who sailed her over the past few months remains in epic proportion. About 30 minutes ago, the Captain took to the PA system to inform guests that the ship’s Medical Department is overwhelmed by the number of passengers who have fallen victim to Noro.

Code Red procedures have been in effect since we first climbed Millennium’s gangway in Yokohama on May 10th. And the daily bulletin offers “complimentary medical consultations in your stateroom” for anyone who suspects they have contracted Norovirus. Stockholders in Purell Corporation will reap a huge dividend as hand sanitizer is being aggressively offered by the gallon.

I have no medical credentials. But I know that something is running amok on this vessel. How do you remedy it? On that, I have no theory.

My heart aches for the crew. They are working their tails off scrubbing with bleach and other solutions in a best effort to bride this plague. Even the sanitary system is flushed several times a day leaving a distinct odor coming from flushing toilets.

Standard to Code Red, there are no salt and pepper shakers, bread and condiments are dispensed by the wait staff and there is no self-serve at the buffets or beverage stations. Inconvenient or necessary.

I want to make it very clear that I, in no way, allege that “X” is negligent. The cruise line has minimal control over passengers who thumb their noses at sanitary precautions – being spoken in several languages numerous times per day.

Nonetheless, there seems to be a continuing problem with Noro on this vessel. Dealing with it is best left to those with the requisite knowledge. But deal with it Mr. Bayley and company must do – as expeditiously as humanly possible.

Again, the vessel itself is shipshape excepting normal wear and tear and some public furniture items that have simply become exhausted – cushions, etc. I will share that with you when I return.

Smooth Sailing to All!

This is a live update from aboard Millennium. I am writing this at 10:30 AM on Thursday, May 15. Millennium is just under one day out of our last Port-of-Call at Petropavlovsk, Russia.

Before departing, I posted stating that I would somewhat ignore the many negative reviews about conditions on Millennium. Succinctly, other than the normal effects of a ship sailing in a corrosive salt water environment and some deck and public area furniture that cries out for replacement, I have seen no extraordinary wear. Our stateroom is immaculate and tended to by a steward who is the epitome of professionalism. I will post a far more detailed review when I return on May 24th.

I write today to tell you that Millennium is a “sick ship.” The Norovirus noted by those who sailed her over the past few months remains in epic proportion. About 30 minutes ago, the Captain took to the PA system to inform guests that the ship’s Medical Department is overwhelmed by the number of passengers who have fallen victim to Noro.

Code Red procedures have been in effect since we first climbed Millennium’s gangway in Yokohama on May 10th. And the daily bulletin offers “complimentary medical consultations in your stateroom” for anyone who suspects they have contracted Norovirus. Stockholders in Purell Corporation will reap a huge dividend as hand sanitizer is being aggressively offered by the gallon.

I have no medical credentials. But I know that something is running amok on this vessel. How do you remedy it? On that, I have no theory.

My heart aches for the crew. They are working their tails off scrubbing with bleach and other solutions in a best effort to bride this plague. Even the sanitary system is flushed several times a day leaving a distinct odor coming from flushing toilets.

Standard to Code Red, there are no salt and pepper shakers, bread and condiments are dispensed by the wait staff and there is no self-serve at the buffets or beverage stations. Inconvenient or necessary.

I want to make it very clear that I, in no way, allege that “X” is negligent. The cruise line has minimal control over passengers who thumb their noses at sanitary precautions – being spoken in several languages numerous times per day.

Nonetheless, there seems to be a continuing problem with Noro on this vessel. Dealing with it is best left to those with the requisite knowledge. But deal with it Mr. Bayley and company must do – as expeditiously as humanly possible.

Again, the vessel itself is shipshape excepting normal wear and tear and some public furniture items that have simply become exhausted – cushions, etc. I will share that with you when I return.

Smooth Sailing to All!

I'm so sorry to hear this. The poor crew and customers.:(

Good luck, am waiting for the final review. I went yo Alaska last May on the Millie and there is a warm place in my heart for her. Just came off the Summit to Bermuda and it was a lovely cruise, no sign of the Noro.

Norma

NJ Fred,

I am so sorry to hear that the virus is continuing to create problems onboard. From the CDC website:

"Noroviruses are highly contagious. A person with norovirus infection can shed billions of norovirus particles. But, it only takes as few as 18 viral particles to infect another person. Primarily, noroviruses are spread through—

• close personal contact with an infected person, or
  • fecal-oral route when a person consumes contaminated food or water.

The virus can also spread through touching contaminated surfaces, objects, or substances.

It is possible for norovirus to spread through aerosolized vomit that lands on surfaces or enters a person’s mouth then he or she swallows it. There is no evidence showing that people can get infected by breathing in the virus.

During outbreaks, norovirus can spread in several different ways. For example, a person who is infected by eating contaminated food in a restaurant can spread the virus to household members through direct contact or by touching and contaminating objects and surfaces.

It is possible for an infected person to shed norovirus before they have symptoms. However, people usually begin shedding the virus once they have symptoms. This may continue for 2 weeks or more after they recover. But, it is not known whether they are still contagious."

I know that the crew worked as hard as they possibly could on our April 13 cruise to ensure that the passengers would not be affected. As you can see from the CDC information, the crew fight a battle that is easily lost.

I know crew who came down with the virus. I know passengers who came down with the virus. However, as I said in my review, I believe that Celebrity was doing everything that it possibly could to stop the spread.

I was not "hit" with it until we reached Shanghai and, thankfully, was over it before I had to get on the plane to come home and I hope that I did not infect anyone else. Although the Captain talked about washing hands and using the hand sanitizer (which I became OCD about), it was not enough to prevent me from getting ill.

If people continue to get ill, despite the inconvenience, I hope that the next sailing will be delayed long enough to ensure that the ship is virus free.

Wishing you all the best!

NJ Fred,

I am so sorry to hear that the virus is continuing to create problems onboard. From the CDC website:

"Noroviruses are highly contagious. A person with norovirus infection can shed billions of norovirus particles. But, it only takes as few as 18 viral particles to infect another person. Primarily, noroviruses are spread through—

• close personal contact with an infected person, or
  • fecal-oral route when a person consumes contaminated food or water.

The virus can also spread through touching contaminated surfaces, objects, or substances.

It is possible for norovirus to spread through aerosolized vomit that lands on surfaces or enters a person’s mouth then he or she swallows it. There is no evidence showing that people can get infected by breathing in the virus.

During outbreaks, norovirus can spread in several different ways. For example, a person who is infected by eating contaminated food in a restaurant can spread the virus to household members through direct contact or by touching and contaminating objects and surfaces.

It is possible for an infected person to shed norovirus before they have symptoms. However, people usually begin shedding the virus once they have symptoms. This may continue for 2 weeks or more after they recover. But, it is not known whether they are still contagious."

I know that the crew worked as hard as they possibly could on our April 13 cruise to ensure that the passengers would not be affected. As you can see from the CDC information, the crew fight a battle that is easily lost.

I know crew who came down with the virus. I know passengers who came down with the virus. However, as I said in my review, I believe that Celebrity was doing everything that it possibly could to stop the spread.

I was not "hit" with it until we reached Shanghai and, thankfully, was over it before I had to get on the plane to come home and I hope that I did not infect anyone else. Although the Captain talked about washing hands and using the hand sanitizer (which I became OCD about), it was not enough to prevent me from getting ill.

If people continue to get ill, despite the inconvenience, I hope that the next sailing will be delayed long enough to ensure that the ship is virus free.

Wishing you all the best!

sounds like a no win situation :(

Smooth Sailing to All!

I'm so sorry to hear of the problem on Millie. We are booked on this ship in Alaska at the end of Next month. I feel terrible for those affected by this nasty nuisense illness. So many plan and wait for these trips hoping to build wonderful memories with friends and family. My prayers are with those affected and hope for a speedy recovery, and for the staff and crew working so hard to help insure the passengers are protected. Hopefully, by the time we board, the ship will have been able to receive a good cleaning, but if it happends that there are still cases of illness, my family of 6 will take every precaution to avoid this illness. Thank you for sharing and updating your information from the ship.

So horrible to hear. "Patient number 1"" who was the initial cause of this debacle likely disembarked some time ago. I hope things get better for the crew and passengers, and that the multiple warnings about handwashing will be heeded. The only way this situation will be remedied is by diligence by staff and passengers, along with a thorough scrub-down in port.

I am sad for everyone that is affected on the Millie:( Noro is nasty for sure. DD who lives in Edmonton Alberta came down with it yesterday and I was searching the boards to give her advice as to what to try and eat and drink but most people just said to ride it out:( Please try and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I am sad for everyone that is affected on the Millie:( Noro is nasty for sure. DD who lives in Edmonton Alberta came down with it yesterday and I was searching the boards to give her advice as to what to try and eat and drink but most people just said to ride it out:( Please try and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Sorry about your daughter, Christine. This thing is nasty. Our Dr gave us a recipe that UNICEF uses for hydration. It is similar to Pediolyte or Gastrolyte which can be bought at Safeway.

8tsp sugar

1tsp salt

Dissolve this in 1 litre of water. A splash of orange juice may be added for colour and flavor.

Sorry about your cruise Fred. We had this problem last year on Millie on the Hong Kong to Vancouver trip as well as a terrible cough so we know what you are going through. It really does impair the cruise as everyone is frightened of getting it and it is so contagious. I feel so sorry for the crew as they work hard enough when all is well. We hope you keep well. Looking forward to your review.

Sorry about your daughter, Christine. This thing is nasty. Our Dr gave us a recipe that UNICEF uses for hydration. It is similar to Pediolyte or Gastrolyte which can be bought at Safeway.

8tsp sugar

1tsp salt

Dissolve this in 1 litre of water. A splash of orange juice may be added for colour and flavor.

Thank you so much:). I sent it on to her!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We board the Millennium in Vancouver next Friday. How much notice will Celebrity give us if boarding is delayed for cleaning? If that happens, any suggestions on where to go and what to do? Thanks.

Granville Island.....Farmers market, places to eat, street entertainment (weekends), art galleries, shops etc. Great place to spend time. i hope the Noro is gone and you have a great cruise.

We were on the 30 March sailing and embarkation was delayed for "deep cleaning" . I understand that ours was the fourth consecutive deep clean. Not too sure what that comprises but it's concerning that noro is still present, and it seems in larger numbers. Low standards of hygiene in Far East countries was said to be one cause, but if that were the case, then every ship sailing in that region would be permanently affected. So sad for those who's cruise is being spoiled, and also for the hardworking staff who are under constant increased pressure

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk