venice transportation sanity check

bubbles328

We arrive in Venice around 10am the day before our cruise departs. Our hotel is near San Marco square. From what I understand, the cheapest way from the air port to hotel would be a bus to pizzalo Roma and then the vaporetto. Is that accurate? Would we be able to get on with a suitcase and a bag each?

We aren't really in a rush to get there so we want the most economical way. And also a way to get to the port the next afternoon.

Thank you!!!

We are staying near San Marco as well and have booked a shared water taxi. Booked the tickets on line via Venicelink.com and it costs 27 euro per person. It will be a great introduction to Venice and an exciting ride.

Last year we took an aliguna ferry. This worked out well, because we were one of the first stops in San Stae and had some time to kill. However would not want to be one of the last to get off, as my suitcase would be buried under a big pile of luggage. Hence, went for a water taxi this time.

Still figuring out how to get to the ship, but most likely by shared water taxi as well. As that ride is even more exciting!:D

We arrive in Venice around 10am the day before our cruise departs. Our hotel is near San Marco square. From what I understand, the cheapest way from the air port to hotel would be a bus to pizzalo Roma and then the vaporetto. Is that accurate? Would we be able to get on with a suitcase and a bag each?

We aren't really in a rush to get there so we want the most economical way. And also a way to get to the port the next afternoon.

Thank you!!!

The ATVO bus or even the local bus will be about 7E from the airport to Piazzale Roma, And I believe the vaporetto will also be 7E, so about 14E total. We took one wheeled case anda carryon onto the water bus w/o a problem. But maybe the alilaguna would be easier since it's direct and I believe it's about 14-15 E. Look at the red and blue lines which I think go between the airport and St Marks.

thank you both! I am actually not sure what stop I need--the hotel says to get off at Rialto to access it, but it also says that the square is right there as you walk out of the door.

we don;'t mind the walk and are able to walk long distances if necessary.

also--what is the quickest way to the cruise terminal? we'll likely try to spend as much time OFF the ship as possible so we'll be one of those last minute boarding people. we prefer being on land to being on a parked ship. so board priority so aren't too worried about lines.

thanks again!

thank you both! I am actually not sure what stop I need--the hotel says to get off at Rialto to access it, but it also says that the square is right there as you walk out of the door.

also--what is the quickest way to the cruise terminal? we'll likely try to spend as much time OFF the ship as possible so we'll be one of those last minute boarding people. we prefer being on land to being on a parked ship. so board priority so aren't too worried about lines.

thanks again!

I would also suggest Alilaguna as a good alternative. Confirm with your hotel what stop to get off and how to get to your hotel from the stop.

Alilaguna also stops at the cruise port (Marittima), so it's probably a good bet for getting to your ship also, as long as the stop for your hotel is reasonably convenient.

Which hotel? can you find it on this map and determine which stop is closest to the marked alilaguna stops?

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/orientation.htm

On our first trip to Venice we had an apt near the Rialto bridge. It was only a 5 minute walk to St Marks .... things are surprisingly close in Venice; it's a small city.

also--what is the quickest way to the cruise terminal? we'll likely try to spend as much time OFF the ship as possible so we'll be one of those last minute boarding people. we prefer being on land to being on a parked ship. so board priority so aren't too worried about lines. thanks again!

The quickest way to the pier would be a private water taxi. Look at the alilaguna schedule from St Marks to the pier to see how it will work for you. Or if you have purchased a vaporetto pass, you can easily take the water bus up to Piazzale Roma, walk a block to the People Mover for a 3 minute ride to the pier.

Edited by mapleleaves

Thank you!!!

This is the ride you get from Piazzale Roma - San Marco. It's one of the great sights of Venice - treat it as part of your fun in Venice !

[YOUTUBE]DQ8apgEhZBA[/YOUTUBE]

As you'll probably be getting a 24 hour gap ticket anyway that bit of it is effectively free so it would only cost the airport bus - PR (€7 ?)

We had no trouble at all handling a suitcase and a bag each on the vaporetto. I suppose if it is very crowded it may be slightly more awkward but still very manageable. Going back it's a vap ride the other way up the Grand Canal (free with your 24 hour ticket or €7 if it's expired) and €1 for the People Mover to the ship area. All the best, Tony

The quickest way to the pier would be a private water taxi. Look at the alilaguna schedule from St Marks to the pier to see how it will work for you. Or if you have purchased a vaporetto pass, you can easily take the water bus up to Piazzale Roma, walk a block to the People Mover for a 3 minute ride to the pier.

great, thank you! we are staying at Hotel Bonvecchiati, which I could not locate on the map. the hotel website states to take a shuttle to PR and vaporetto 1 or 2 to Ponte di Rialto.

it has been many years since I've visited Venice, and last time I didn't have luggage to worry about! (or a grumpy husband for that matter).

thank you to the nice person who provided the video!!!!!!!! goodness, I cannot wait!

Your hotel is almost exactly 1/2 way between Rialto vaporetto stop and St. Mark's square.

It is about 500 yards from Rialto. A bus to Piazzal Roma and the No 1 or No 2 Vaporetto to Rialto is a good route if you want inexpensive.

To the cruise terminal, the private water bus Alilaguna blue line is 2 stops from St. Marks to the port. It runs every 30 minutes. The public water buses do not go to the port. http://www.alilaguna.it

Attached is a screen shot from Google earth of the canal side of your hotel

769889968_ScreenShot2014-05-15at2_35_59PM.jpg.4b576d4882c49ab699d4f48c497347c8.jpg

Edited by Earl Rosebery

Since your hotel is between St Marks and Rialto, in that maze of little 'roads', I'd stick to the instructions provided on the hotel web site. So take the Alilaguna to the Rialto stop then follow their PDF map to get to the hotel. Our apt was in that area and we spent an hour trying to find the darn place. You have a map and instructions, lucky you, so use them.

From Venice's "Marco Polo" Airport (13 km)

Water roads

Take the shuttle from the airport to the wet dock, where you can take a private water taxi that will get you in about 40 minutes directly to the hotel, or get a motorboat from the Alilaguna line to Rialto. After docking, please see the detailed route on the map in PDF format.

BTW, looks like a lovely place and a lovely location. Enjoy !!