Corkage Fees

Smiles3usa

Does Celebrity still charge corkage fees to folks who have the classic or premium package? It seems the incentive for the fee -- to encourage folks to drink the on-board wines -- would be significantly diminished if the folks already had the package. Some people might still want to bring their favorite bottle or two -- or pick up some in the port, even if they have the package because Celebrity does not stock the wine they prefer.

Just curious. I think if one pays $59.00 per day + 15% gratuities for beverages, they should not also have to pay $35 corkage fee to have different wine opened in the dinning room.

No increase, at least none noted on the website FAQ:

"If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25."

• 2 weeks later...
I was just charged $20 for corkage....and also received a $3 discount for a net cost of $17. I had the premium package.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

If the 20% wine discount applies to the corkage fee! that would explain the $20 cost...but I can't explain the additional $3.

Corkage applies only if you bring the bottle to a public space to consume. if you enjoy in cabin or pour a drink in the cabin and take with you, no corkage fee.

Corkage fee is basically to make up for the waiter service, perhaps to cover "some" loss of revenue and the use of the glassware and space you consume the beverage in.

I have found a box wine = to the 2x.75liter allowed will I be able to get wine glasses from my steward or will I pay a corkage fee? thanks

I think you will be able to request wine glasses at no cost from any bar or steward for your cabin. Worst case, get a drink while out and about bring glass back to the cabin and rinse in the sink...!

In hotels, I often snag a large ceramic mug from dining room to use with the in-room coffee as I hate the paper cups they brew into. Then I rinse it and hide in a rawer so they don't take it away... :D

I have found a box wine = to the 2x.75liter allowed will I be able to get wine glasses from my steward or will I pay a corkage fee? thanks

From threads I've read in the past people have had mixed results bringing a box, or large bottle on. Based purely in postings I've read in the past the odds are in your favor but if you want to make 100% certain that your wine will make it on board stick with two 750ML bottles as opposed to a larger box or bottle of wine.

Once on board your cabin steward will keep your cabin stocked with wine glasses on request. There are usually a couple there already for the wine in the mini bar. If you need some then let your stateroom attendant know in advance as a request at the time you want them might take a while to fulfill. I usually either make a standing request at the beginning of the cruise or leave them a note in the morning if I want some that evening. If you need some ASAP follow the advice above and just run to any bar or lounge and ask for some to take back to your cabin.

I'll also confirm what others have said: There is no corkage fee on wine consumed in your cabin. It only applies to bottles of wine taken to a dining area or lounge.

Edited by Lsimon

We have seen boxed wine refused at check in. We have also seen 1.5 liter bottles refused. In both cases, I assume they were kept by the cruise line until the passengers disembarked.

Can't remember which cruise line refused the box wine - sorry. In the 1.5 liter bottle situation (multiple bottles involved), it was celebrity.

Edited by jkgourmet

A somewhat related question:

We took a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity last year. I've done several cruises and was very surprised that when we bought alcohol at various ports, we weren't asked to check it, to be returned at the end of the cruise. Usually the cruise lines hit you over the head with stations to leave your alcohol purchases, so you don't consume it on the ship.

So was this just a fluke or does Celebrity not require that?

It varies depending on who knows? We've never been stopped although the last time I bought a bottle of wine in Bali (just because I never knew they made wine on Bali) the security guy at the scanner said I'd have to check the bottle until the end of the cruise, asked me to see the gentleman at the desk behind him, motioned that way and when I picked up my bag, I looked and not only was there no one there, there wasn't even a desk....so I just took it to my cabin.

I suspect they are stricter on spring break cruises in the Caribbean.

A somewhat related question:

We took a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity last year. I've done several cruises and was very surprised that when we bought alcohol at various ports, we weren't asked to check it, to be returned at the end of the cruise. Usually the cruise lines hit you over the head with stations to leave your alcohol purchases, so you don't consume it on the ship.

So was this just a fluke or does Celebrity not require that?

The policy is that any alcoholic beverages brought on board at ports of call is taken and held until the end of the cruise. But enforcement of this is very inconsistent. I've seen occasions where one person in line has wine they're bringing on and is passed through without question and someone else entering at the same time has it taken.