Got a 1 Category Upgrade I wasn't entitled too

Jane2357

Recently booked a cruise in a C1 - and the agent reminded me that I get the 1 level upgrade - so I booked a C1 for a C2 price. :D I've saved some money - gotten the cabin I wanted and all is good. Right? Well apparently wrong :(

My sister and BIL decided to come and they booked a C1 - I told her about the 1 level upgrade and so she called back on the Captains Club number to see if she could also get the same. She was told "No" and that us getting it was a mistake.:(:o

Here is there verbiage that I've found and it appears that they were correct.One-Category Upgrade

"One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Category 12, FV, SV, C1 and suites are excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to Exciting Deals, ChoiceAir® specials, Reduced Air, interline, travel agent, Travelzoo, and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings or Reunion Cruises. Upgrades available from categories 11-A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking"

I should call and turn ourselves in -- giving up a nice savings. DH says they'll "catch" it and wait till they do but I think honesty is the best policy. Wonder who I should contact? I don't want to lose my cabin re-booking.

Edited by Jane2357

Everything is fine.

The reason C1 is excluded is there is nothing to upgrade to from there, just as category 12 is the highest balcony.

A2 upgraded to A1

C2 upgraded to C1

Any balcony, oceanview or inside cabin upgraded one level, provided its not already the top tier of the category.

Everything is fine.

The reason C1 is excluded is there is nothing to upgrade to from there, just as category 12 is the highest balcony.

A2 upgraded to A1

C2 upgraded to C1

Any balcony, oceanview or inside cabin upgraded one level, provided its not already the top tier of the category.

OK this makes me feel better as that is what I also thought by can't figure out why my sister is not given the same deal. Perhaps I should call someone and find out?

Recently booked a cruise in a C1 - and the agent reminded me that I get the 1 level upgrade - so I booked a C1 for a C2 price. :D I've saved some money - gotten the cabin I wanted and all is good. Right? Well apparently wrong :(

My sister and BIL decided to come and they booked a C1 - I told her about the 1 level upgrade and so she called back on the Captains Club number to see if she could also get the same. She was told "No" and that us getting it was a mistake.:(:o

Here is there verbiage that I've found and it appears that they were correct.One-Category Upgrade

"One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Category 12, FV, SV, C1 and suites are excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to Exciting Deals, ChoiceAir® specials, Reduced Air, interline, travel agent, Travelzoo, and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings or Reunion Cruises. Upgrades available from categories 11-A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking"

I should call and turn ourselves in -- giving up a nice savings. DH says they'll "catch" it and wait till they do but I think honesty is the best policy. Wonder who I should contact? I don't want to lose my cabin re-booking.

Just go on your cruise and enjoy. We had a C1 in February and the balcony was huge.

Everything is fine.

A2 upgraded to A1

C2 upgraded to C1

But that's not exactly the way it works... Please see the original poster's citation from the Celebrity website--in red--above; there are some exclusions with C2 to C1 being one of them... Interestingly enough, A2 to A1 is not precluded but, given that so few A1 cabins are aft cabins [upgrades to SV are also excluded], A1 cabins--regardless of location--are not regarded as "prime real estate" [using the words of the Captain's Club Rep I spoke with relative to the same issue (I didn't remember any non-suite exclusions when the benefit was first introduced and am not sure they initially existed)]...

OP... Good luck in holding onto your C1... I once had a circumstance in which a cabin category was changed after I booked onboard [it was on the day that Reflection reservations opened for the first time and I told the Rep that the cabin category looked goofy to me] and X did try to reassign me without so much as the courtesy of a call [i noticed it when I added the cruise to my My Celebrity profile]... I pushed back--their error/not mine--and did prevail in getting my original cabin back [i noticed quickly] at the price originally quoted...

If the Celebrity Official who is on Cruise Critic see this - could you please send me your contact info. I'd like your help getting this straightened around.

I did call the Captains Club number and was told that you are NOT allowed to upgrade from a C2 to a C1 - that C1's are exempt from this. How then is it allowed to upgrade from an A2 to a A1 - it doesn't make sense at all. I thought you just couldn't upgrade outside of your category meaning no upgrade from an C1 to and S3.

I am not about keeping something that I shouldn't have gotten but it is NOT FUN to think I'm giving back something they gave me (without me even asking I might add - the upgrade was offered by the X agent) when this is the 2nd 14 day cruise in a row that we have booked and missed out on 1,2,3. :mad: We love Celebrity, have never anything except a wonderful cruise but this is maddening.

But that's not exactly the way it works... Please see the original poster's citation from the Celebrity website--in red--above; there are some exclusions with C2 to C1 being one of them... Interestingly enough, A2 to A1 is not precluded but, given that so few A1 cabins are aft cabins [upgrades to SV are also excluded], A1 cabins--regardless of location--are not regarded as "prime real estate" [using the words of the Captain's Club Rep I spoke with relative to the same issue (I didn't remember any non-suite exclusions when the benefit was first introduced and am not sure they initially existed)]...

OP... Good luck in holding onto your C1... I once had a circumstance in which a cabin category was changed after I booked onboard [it was on the day that Reflection reservations opened for the first time and I told the Rep that the cabin category looked goofy to me] and X did try to reassign me without so much as the courtesy of a call [i noticed it when I added the cruise to my My Celebrity profile]... I pushed back--their error/not mine--and did prevail in getting my original cabin back [i noticed quickly] at the price originally quoted...

Don't say THAT - my sister is booked in the cabin next to ours - and I called to book and pay for a C1 - they just gave me the C2 pricing. I'm just going to have to pay the C1 price but it needs to be the C1 price on the day I booked.

That is why I want the CC Celebrity person to contact me - this is a cluster and I don't trust just anyone at X to deal with it - from 1 to another they don't know their own rules.

If the Celebrity Official who is on Cruise Critic see this - could you please send me your contact info. I'd like your help getting this straightened around.

I did call the Captains Club number and was told that you are NOT allowed to upgrade from a C2 to a C1 - that C1's are exempt from this. How then is it allowed to upgrade from an A2 to a A1 - it doesn't make sense at all. I thought you just couldn't upgrade outside of your category meaning no upgrade from an C1 to and S3.

I am not about keeping something that I shouldn't have gotten but it is NOT FUN to think I'm giving back something they gave me (without me even asking I might add - the upgrade was offered by the X agent) when this is the 2nd 14 day cruise in a row that we have booked and missed out on 1,2,3. :mad: We love Celebrity, have never anything except a wonderful cruise but this is maddening.

Jane 2357, Xport has given you the correct information. This past April we were on the Equinox and booked additional cruises while on board and had the upgrade policy clarified. The reason FV, SV and C1 are excluded from being upgraded into, is the limited number of available cabins and that they are considered "prime real estate" as noted by Xport: Celebrity is not going to discount any cabin which sells out virtually immediately.

In the past my experience with "X" has been good, in that they will stand by any employee error which is obvious. In this case there is no way you could have manipulated this upgrade through the system, therefore one of their representatives had to make it happen in their system. However, as Xport stated, "X" has been known to make "changes" without notifing the client.

You seem to be on the right track in proactively attempting to clarify this with "X". Good Luck

Jane 2357, Xport has given you the correct information. This past April we were on the Equinox and booked additional cruises while on board and had the upgrade policy clarified. The reason FV, SV and C1 are excluded from being upgraded into, is the limited number of available cabins and that they are considered "prime real estate" as noted by Xport: Celebrity is not going to discount any cabin which sells out virtually immediately.

In the past my experience with "X" has been good, in that they will stand by any employee error which is obvious. In this case there is no way you could have manipulated this upgrade through the system, therefore one of their representatives had to make it happen in their system. However, as Xport stated, "X" has been known to make "changes" without notifing the client.

You seem to be on the right track in proactively attempting to clarify this with "X". Good Luck

Thank you. I'm an honest person and did not try to get something from Celebrity that I shouldn't have - it was offered to me and I'll be honest - I was thrilled as we always miss the 1,2,3 perks. We will pay the C1 price - I just want to make sure that we get some help from someone we can trust at X. I've kinda lost faith. :o

UPDATE *****

I called through the Captains Club and got to speak with Elaine - I explained what had happened and that I wanted to speak to someone in Resolutions as I wanted my cruise booking changed not re-booked with the C1 price. She was very nice and put me on hold for a bit. I then spoke with Marge in Resolutions who after hearing the story from Elaine - gave us the C1 for the C2 price and removed any reference to a C2 so that our cabin would not be changed. C1'S ARE EXCLUDED FROM THE 1 LEVEL UPGRADE.

Wow - I didn't ask for the price to be honored and was blown away that they offered it! Way to go Celebrity!!!! I was also worried that the agent might get into trouble or be fired - they said no - just extra coaching - so I do hope that is true.

It seems we hear to much criticism about Celebrity on these boards and I wanted to come back and let everyone know what great treatment we received. :D:D

Edited by Jane2357

I don't get this conversation. We booked/paid for a C2 on our Feb 2014 Century sailing. We were assigned a C1 by X because of the 1 category upgrade benefit. So how is OP's situation any different and required special handling?

I don't get this conversation. We booked/paid for a C2 on our Feb 2014 Century sailing. We were assigned a C1 by X because of the 1 category upgrade benefit. So how is OP's situation any different and required special handling?

You booked in February 2014 and got the upgrade to C1???

Jane2357: It is truly refreshing to see someone like you who is honest and respectful of policies laid out by others. Many kudos to you for being who you are and the morals that you follow. I just wish others, including myself, could follow your lead in dealing with life's situations.

We had booked C1 on our Alaska cruise last August. About a month before our cruise our TA called and asked if I was willing to take an upgrade to A1. Not knowing much about how the ship is layed out it only took me about 3 ms to say "eh, yeah, Ok." The room location was actually pretty good. Of course the TA said, "For an additional $500 you can get a suite." Maybe some other time. I doubt I could keep the butler busy enough to cover the extra tips no matter how much Douton(sp) Abby I watched. I'm pretty happy with AQ.

For those that "don't get it" - you are not allowed to upgrade from a C2 to a C1 as part of the 1 level upgrade perk. When I booked our cruise I did not book through Captains Club - I called the Vacation Planner number (a mistake). I asked to book a specific cabin - a C1 and they offered me a C2 price as an upgrade - I took it not realizing that this was an error.

The next day my sister also booked a C1 next to ours but was told she couldn't have the upgrade price - this is how we discovered the mistake by the agent. :( So yes I turned myself in because it was the right thing to do. Celebrity went above and beyond to make it right. We were prepared to pay the original C1 price and they stood by their agent even though the price was incorrect. Do you think we would ever consider switching cruise lines? NOPE. :D

There used to be the 1 category upgrade when you booked on board as the captains club benefit under the old program didn't include anything other than inside or oceanview.

Even that old book onboard program was changed in the later stages to not allow the upgrade to C1 but it seemed to be randomly enforced.

Now the 1 category upgrade is a captains club program introduced in November 2013 and has these specific categories excluded.

The OP certainly received the benefit of Celebrity's mistake but I would have been disappointed in Celebrity if they handled it any differently when she brought it to their attention.