Open Seating Is the Only Option???

I am looking at trans Atlantic on the Zuiderdam in March, 2015. The only option is open dining. Has HAL done away with Fixed Seating? I can't imagine that this cruise is even close to being sold out. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am looking at trans Atlantic on the Zuiderdam in March, 2015. The only option is open dining. Has HAL done away with Fixed Seating? I can't imagine that this cruise is even close to being sold out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Early seating fills up very fast on HAL and it is not unusual to be booked up. Remember that Early dining takes up the top deck of the MDR, which I think has fewer spots than the Lower deck which is Open. Plus you have Late dining, so only about 20-25% of MDR diners can be assigned Early.

Plus, if there is a group on your cruise, they usually get priority in this, so they can fill up even more of the limited seats.

DaveOKC

I am surprised as you for that far out. Makes me think a large group might be involved or at least reserved a lot of cabins. I would get wait listed as there is sure to be fall out before final payment. If not just enjoy open seating, that's the option we always choose.

You may be able to call guest services and find out how deep the waitlist is and give you an idea of what your chances of getting your desired seating are.

You can always wait list. If nothing opens up then open seating would be your fall back

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes you can't. I've had the experience when the waitlist was too full so they weren't allowing any extra names.

At this point I wouldn't worry. But the minute you get on the ship I would find out where the mater de for the fix seating is and make sure he knows your desire for fixed seating. I have never be in a situation where I could not be seated... sometimes they need a night to figure out who is actually coming to dinner or not for fixed seating, but be persistent and it should work out for you.

Have you had your TA check it out? According to my TA Open Seating is HAL's default assignment - your TA needs to request a fixed dining time. Made a quick reservation last week for a 7 day cruise and my TA (who knows we prefer fixed late dining) forgot to make the request so we initially showed Open Seating. One call to her and it was a quick fix.

On all the Mass Market Cruise Lines the numbers are nearly identical.

On average, 2/3 of passengers want open seating and 1/3 want fixed seating.

On average, 60% of the pax want to eat early and 40% want to eat later.

So all the Mass Market cruise lines have designed their operations to best accommodate those average numbers.

The challenge occurs on one-off cruises, like repositioning voyages or Family holiday cruises. Or on cruises with large groups onboard.

The demographics are skewed one way or another on those particular voyages; nearly everyone wants to eat early or late, or nearly everyone wants fixed or open dining.

The ship's layout and staffing cannot successfully accommodate those changes.

Your best bet is to visit the F&B Director when you board, and see what he can do for you.

I have to say, I actually like open seating. I can go to the dining room whenever I feel like eating (during dining room hours, of course).

Also, knowing how many people want fixed dining, I would feel bad claiming a coveted fixed dining spot then deciding to go the Pinnacle Grill one night, and the Lido another night, and order room service yet another night. If I knew I was going to the dining room every evening, that would be one thing. But since I probably won't be there every night, I leave those fixed dining slots for others.