Celebrity Caribbean Sailing Dress Code

gsu_paintballer

We are taking our first Celebrity sailing in December aboard the Silhouette, and I am curious as to how people typically dress. Obviously we have plenty of time to plan, but the discussion just popped up and I thought I'd check into it.

Dinner isn't usually an issue for us, as I feel like we will be dressing appropriately for that based on what I've read in other places. For formal nights, I always wear a suit (though it is more "business" than formal), and my wife wears a dress. Other nights, I wear a nice collared shirt (usually no tie) and dress pants. She wears sundress type things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're on the right track there.

What about around the ship? As you can see (if you have signatures turned on), we've been CCL customers, and they're usually "anything goes." We don't partake in that attitude, and we definitely don't run around the ship in swimsuits or anything, but I'm curious as to what things are like on Celebrity.

Now, I know you're probably thinking "quit worrying about this nonsense and enjoy your vacation!" We're going to have a great time, but I don't want to look out of place, either :cool:

Here's my philosophy: dress as you would to any restaurant. I do Dockers, golf shirt, etc.

With the variety of people and their backgrounds, what's acceptable to them and to me may be two different things.

My grandfather (wheat farmer) thought dressed up was bibs, white shirt and a tie. That's why I never judge others and don't even notice. Wear what you think is appropriate and you'll be fine.

We are taking our first Celebrity sailing in December aboard the Silhouette, and I am curious as to how people typically dress. Obviously we have plenty of time to plan, but the discussion just popped up and I thought I'd check into it.

Dinner isn't usually an issue for us, as I feel like we will be dressing appropriately for that based on what I've read in other places. For formal nights, I always wear a suit (though it is more "business" than formal), and my wife wears a dress. Other nights, I wear a nice collared shirt (usually no tie) and dress pants. She wears sundress type things.

What about around the ship? As you can see (if you have signatures turned on), we've been CCL customers, and they're usually "anything goes." We don't partake in that attitude, and we definitely don't run around the ship in swimsuits or anything, but I'm curious as to what things are like on Celebrity.

Now, I know you're probably thinking "quit worrying about this nonsense and enjoy your vacation!" We're going to have a great time, but I don't want to look out of place, either :cool:

We have cruised Carnival a good bit as well and on out first Celebrity cruise I made the mistake of going to dinner with nice shirt and alas nice shorts. No shorts allowed in MDR or Blu any night. Ok in Buffet...

Country club or cruise casual or relaxed...but you will see many interps of what that is...hopefully no wifebeaters ( sleeveless white undershirts) in the buffet or lunch

areas , sweater for chilly areas...nice cover up for wife for lunch buffet over swimsuit....do not stress and enjoy!

Edited by hcat

We have cruised Carnival a good bit as well and on out first Celebrity cruise I made the mistake of going to dinner with nice shirt and alas nice shorts. No shorts allowed in MDR or Blu any night. Ok in Buffet...

I don't ever wear shorts in the MDR.

I was more curious about around the ship.

Sounds like you will have the perfect attire. Just of note, the specialty restaurants are always smart casual -- so nice if you are not loving the formal wear. However, formal does not mean you have to take a tux -- a jacket, collared shirt (with a tie? - but that might be optional) will be just fine. You will not feel out of place.

Sounds like you will have the perfect attire. Just of note, the specialty restaurants are always smart casual -- so nice if you are not loving the formal wear. However, formal does not mean you have to take a tux -- a jacket, collared shirt (with a tie? - but that might be optional) will be just fine. You will not feel out of place.

During the day time very casual attire is OK around the ship. Most men will be wearing shorts and a T-shirt or something like that during the day. Those that stay indoors on the ship all day might be dressed a little nicer but you won't feel out of place in shorts and a T-shirt unless the T-shirt has inappropriate graphics or wording. In the evening on non-formal nights typical male dress is casual slacks (anything from Dockers to dress slacks or even nice jeans) and a polo shirt or nicer.

Edited by Lsimon

I don't ever wear shorts in the MDR.I was more curious about around the ship.

Thank you for not wearing shorts in the MDR. We are new to Celebrity, coming off eleven carib cruises with MSC, (Poesia and Divina), NCL and CCL. As vets of NCL and the vegas circus(CCL), we are hoping that Celebrity will enforce the MDR dress code, not like MSC Divina which allows baseball caps for lunch in the MDR, and also, ripped jeans. There should be some sense of decorum somewhere, and the MDR is that place. Those who wish to go jeans and shorts casual should enjoy the buffet. But after all, on deck in the Carib, shorts are normal all night. Let's hope there are some good dancing bands.

Thank you for not wearing shorts in the MDR. We are new to Celebrity, coming off eleven carib cruises with MSC, (Poesia and Divina), NCL and CCL. As vets of NCL and the vegas circus(CCL), we are hoping that Celebrity will enforce the MDR dress code, not like MSC Divina which allows baseball caps for lunch in the MDR, and also, ripped jeans. There should be some sense of decorum somewhere, and the MDR is that place. Those who wish to go jeans and shorts casual should enjoy the buffet. But after all, on deck in the Carib, shorts are normal all night. Let's hope there are some good dancing bands.

Jeans are permitted in all restaurants on Celebrity.

I made the mistake of going to dinner with nice shirt and alas nice shorts. No shorts allowed in MDR or Blu any night. Ok in Buffet...

I was not even thinking about it, it was the first night and we had been wandering the ship and decided to go to Blu to eat.

What I was trying to convey is that slacks were required AT DINNER but nowhere else. Also in Blu you do not have a formal night so slacks and nice shirt are fine all cruise.

We did have about 20-30 "kids" out on college break that were constantly trying pushing the boundaries but both the MDR and Blu were adamant about dress policies which was wonderful compared to other lines.

Having said all that I really did not notice other people's dress while eating. I was more concerned with my wife and the food.

You will be fine with what you are planning to wear. I do find the MDR chilly at dinner and plan on light weight jackets/sweaters; DH also wears a jacket over golf shirt as he's found it chilly. Maybe we've just been seated at tables near AC.

Formal nights and specialty dining- I saw many men wearing dark suits.

Hi

During the day on the ship shorts and polo shirts are fine

Myself if I'm going to eat usually change into a pair of line

Trousers, just think what you would feel comfortable

in going to a nice restaurant for lunch or an early dinner

In the evening summer trousers and a shirt or polo

will be find, you have formal nights covered

Don't worry have a great cruise