Royal Caribbean A Step Above

tlw440

This is just our opinion. No flaming please. Your experience may vary. We just got back last week from our first RCI cruise (Freedom of the Seas) after 14 on Carnival and had heard from several that RCI was a step above. Here is our comparisons:

Ship: The interior of the FOTS is the most beautiful ship we have ever cruised on (meaning the inside public areas of the ship). Carnival’s exterior (meaning pools areas, etc.) is the best.

Cabin: FOTS balcony is better with the exception of the chairs that were not comfortable. Carnival’s inside cabin area is best by far with the exception of the couch which is more comfortable on FOTS. The bathroom hands down goes to Carnival. We especially didn’t like the torture chamber shower on FOTS. The bed and pillows goes to Carnival hands down.

Food: Lido Restaurant v. Windjammer - Carnival has this one hands down as well. Many more food choices on Carnival. Main dining room goes to Carnival as well. More food choices and better food.

Staff: Great on both cruise lines.

Entertainment: Great on both but slight edge to Carnival.

Vacation Atmosphere: This one definitely goes to Carnival.

So in our opinion, we found that RCI is not a step above Carnival. We would sail on RCI again if the price and itinerary is right but prefer Carnival. RCI has too many extra pay venues.

Thanks for your opinion. We have only sailed NCL and Carnival. We have truly enjoyed Carnival, but with them dropping the future cruise certificates it is time for us to explore other cruise lines. I would really like to try the Allure or Oasis of the seas for a different experience.

Wiz

the only RCCL cruise that we ever did was on the Freedom of the Seas, Got off of that and went on the Carnival Freedom.

I liked Carnival better. RCCL was nice but nothing special. Still have people telling me how great RCCL is and that they would never cruise on Carnival. Fine let them have RCCL. Find that they are over priced and don't offer much more for me as I am not interested in a rock climbing wall, ice skating, wave runner and etc.

There are many other cruise lines and they all have their following, none will appeal to all.

🍸🍻🍺

We did a short RCCL on an older boat so I have tried not to compare. We just did a 7 day disney on the fantasy. The #1 boat in the universe. Not impressed. Looking at carnival again for next spring break!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We obviously have a lot of experience with both lines and many of each line's ships. We agree that overall RCCL has better and more expensive entertainment. But if OP compared one Freedom OTS cruise (a ship we have been on multiple times but not lately) with the best Carnival shows (like "Epic Rock", or "Dancing in the Streets") I could see where Carnival could be perceived as better.

So in our opinion, we found that RCI is not a step above Carnival. We would sail on RCI again if the price and itinerary is right but prefer Carnival. RCI has too many extra pay venues.

...Thank you for your honest opinion. We sailed RCI many years ago and didn't like it at all. We figured after all these years, their product must have gotten better to warrant the higher fare. We just can't seem to pull the trigger. So far, very satisfied with Carnival, so that's where we stay.

FOTS had worse entertainment ever the last time we cruised on it. Carnival Dream wasn't much better but the food was a lot better on Carnival. The only RC ship we've been on worth the extra money was Allure. It's a whole other different experience! Prices keep getting higher on RC making Carnival a much better deal for your money. You just have to make yourself not compare it to RC's bigger ships.

i agree, didnt like the food as much on royal caribbean, nor the shows. i cruise for fun so both cruises were good , discovered my love for private islands at cocoa cay. if they offer a great rate like the one i took 4 days for 99.00 single cabin i would go again otherwise i love carnival.

oh yea and on rci dont ask a waiter for water ... they refused to give it and i would sit at the bar for 10-20 min before anyone would take my order, that NEVER happens on a carnival cruise.

Thanks for your opinion. We have only sailed NCL and Carnival. We have truly enjoyed Carnival, but with them dropping the future cruise certificates it is time for us to explore other cruise lines. I would really like to try the Allure or Oasis of the seas for a different experience.

Wiz

Wiz, what do you mean they are "dropping the future cruise certificates?"

Me 😃

Now this is my opinion. I prefer Royal Caribbean when it comes to how kids are handle. All cruise lines has a problem when it comes to Spring Breaks, etc. You now, the time of year when kids far out number the "older" crowd.

A few years ago we were on The Magic during Spring Break. The kids were totally out of control. Throwing ice at passengers when they were getting on and off the elevators then running around the corner and hiding. Knocking on doors at 3 or 4 in the morning. Placing room service menus on doors (for early morning delivery) when you didn't order. Even going as far as changing the cabin numbers so the menu matched the cabin they changed it with. ETC.

Royal Caribbean has a strict curfew of 1 AM (give or take an hour, I forget) for kids under 18. And they do stick with it. We saw this first hand on several occasions.

Other than this I find both cruise lines enjoyable to cruise on. And as soon as we make Diamond Plus (at the end of our January) cruise I plan on working towards becoming DIAMOND on CARNIVAL!

We enjoy Carnival much more than Royal. Carnival is more affordable and I absolutely agree with your points on entertainment and food. We will definitely be sticking with Carnival!

Really depends on which Carnival ship vs. which RCCL ship.

Oasis/Allure offer so much more in the way of entertainment than any Carnival ship does.

LuLu

I would say that RCI offers more entertainment choices across the board with all their ships. Even on their smaller ships, Grandeur out of Baltimore for instance, there were multiple live music opportunities each night, real shows in the theater each night (including fly-in entertainers), and a live band at the pool. Explorer, a mid-size for RCI, upped the ante considerably from that level. Live music in four or five venues each night. Entertainment in the theater every night, and not passengers singing or playing games to entertain each other.

We had fun on Carnival, but the amount of entertainment available isn't even close to RCI.

I've never cruised with anyone but CCL mostly because they are the closest port to me. Maybe someday I'll give RC a try. But by the time I have to add in an airfare that makes the price go up and the cruise not such a value any longer.

Personally, my first RCCL cruise, I expected to find that STEP UP that many Royal cruisers used to tell me all about. Went the whole week, and found I must have missed something. But by my second Royal cruise, I realized there was no step up; it was merely a step to the side.

But this was before Carnival proceeded down the path of stepping down. So now, a Royal IS a step up just by offering the same.

Thanks to the OP for your opinion, it helps confirm our decision that after what will be 18 cruises solely on RCI (by the time we sail on Liberty), that we have made a good choice on trying Carnival.

I too have become jaded with the number of additional fees charged by RCI for alternative dining, the decline in buffet and MDR food quality (although we've never been unable to find something to eat, the menus are uninspiring and desserts on the whole woeful). The speciality restaurant menus keep declining in choice and quality whilst surcharges increase.

The ports are always the same and so the itineraries on Carnival are appealling, and so does the number of dining venues for no supplement. I have investigated the prices of wine packages and Carnival appear to be around at least 20% cheaper and still appear to provide the make and variety of grape we enjoy.

I had cause to change an existing booking with Carnival to the one we are now booked on, and the big, big bonus to me was the no penalty charged by Carnival to change. I forfeited the 5% online booking discount (something RCI removed a long time ago), but considering this, it was a pleasant surprise to not be charged £75 (approx. $120) pp to make the change!

We no longer need rock climbing walls, ice skating (although the shows are good), surf simulators, or the new attractions of dodgem cars and sky diving (coming to new ships). We're not big on entertainment, unless it is the Broadway style shows that RCI do have (Saturday Night Fever & Chicago), so we're not expecting to miss anything there.

Basically, so looking forward to exploring a new ship (to us), learning how Carnival ticks.

Interesting thread, seems to have gotten people's attention (maybe the title ;)). I think there's not nearly enough difference between Carnival and RCI to get excited over - at least not to the extent that a lot of posters get into whenever this discussion gets started. You would think someone's sister was being insulted.

For me it comes down to where we're sailing. I love transatlantic cruises - I have the time to take one every year if I choose, and I have chosen for the last two years and this one, too. Carnival doesn't sail this route because they don't sail in Europe anymore. So it's RCI or Holland America or Princess or Celebrity or...but not Carnival.

I like Carnival a lot, but if they're not sailing the route I want, then it'll have to be someone else.

This is just our opinion. No flaming please. Your experience may vary. We just got back last week from our first RCI cruise (Freedom of the Seas) after 14 on Carnival and had heard from several that RCI was a step above. Here is our comparisons:

Ship: The interior of the FOTS is the most beautiful ship we have ever cruised on (meaning the inside public areas of the ship). Carnival’s exterior (meaning pools areas, etc.) is the best.

Cabin: FOTS balcony is better with the exception of the chairs that were not comfortable. Carnival’s inside cabin area is best by far with the exception of the couch which is more comfortable on FOTS. The bathroom hands down goes to Carnival. We especially didn’t like the torture chamber shower on FOTS. The bed and pillows goes to Carnival hands down.

Food: Lido Restaurant v. Windjammer - Carnival has this one hands down as well. Many more food choices on Carnival. Main dining room goes to Carnival as well. More food choices and better food.

Staff: Great on both cruise lines.

Entertainment: Great on both but slight edge to Carnival.

Vacation Atmosphere: This one definitely goes to Carnival.

I have sailed on Freedom of the Seas and just got off of the Dream yesterday so I will add my opinions and compare the 2. I love the Promenade area on the RCI ships, much better than the Promenade area on Carnival ships. I disagree with the bathrooms as well, I much prefer the sliding doors on the showers with RCI, seems much more roomy to me. I disagree and think that the Buffet is much better on RCI, I liked the different stations much better than the long lines on Carnival, it seemed easier to see what was offered. I also think the variety of food there was better. I do think that the MDR food on this past cruise was better on the Dream but not on my prior Carnival cruises.

The Entertainment was better for me on RCI with the exception of the Dancing in the Streets show on the Dream. I loved the Fun Force and they are the ones that "made" that show really good. I agree that the service is very comparable on both lines (On NCL as well. Celebrity was much better as expected) I didn't think the beds on the Dream were as comfortable as the beds were in the past, they seemed harder to me. I actually like the atmosphere on RCI better than Carnival, it isn't as loud or "drunken college party" like on RCI to me.

I guess that differing opinions are good, that's what keeps all the different lines in business. If you don't like one, try another one and you will eventually find what you are looking for. In my honest opinion I would sail on any of the lines I have sailed on again. If I were to put them in order of preference they would be Celebrity, RCI, NCL and Carnival. On NCL we had a suite and based upon that experience alone I would place them higher than RCI , all taken into consideration they are lower.

Not on many of the newer Carnival ships - Guys burgers, Blue Iguana, Tandoor, pasta bar, mongolian wok, deli, grill, plus the regular "buffet" part. The Windjammer on the Explorer was terrible and had a lot fewer choices.

Agreed. Carnival's Lido Marketplace blows RCI's Windjammer out of the water and its not even close.

While I enjoy the comedy on CCL's ships, I will give the entertainment nod to RCI.

Everyone's entitled to THEIR opinion though.

Edited by TheTravelista