So do you really want to know what happens when you miss a ship? (Take II - sorry)

Zam

So sorry this happened to you.

I am totally obsessed with the possibility of list luggage that I devise my own system and we rarely if ever need to take connecting flights anywhere out of NYC

My entire family alway travel with a 21 inch roll on and a tote.

You would be amazed how much can be packed if done right. I myself have done 21 days including pre and post cruise days

Black slacks and nice tops just work. We never felt the need for too much clothing on Europe trips and I have 4 daughters.

We also check only one piece if luggage between us with certain peripheral items.

Ymmv but for other travelers I am posting this but as an FYI that one should carry on as much as possible

Kenlorz -

can you share what you software/ site you use to upload your info? I upload everything to an iPad and password protect the documents, but if the iPad is stolen, well we're still in trouble. Your idea sounds like a better one. Although I don't think a scanned passport will work at airports or on ships, it would certainly make the replacement process a bit easier I imagine.

OP - What a sad story. I am so sorry to hear. We would like to hear the rest... I hope there was some redemption in the trip! Good lessons to be learned. I also like the idea about taking a photo of your luggage receipt.... I like to think I'm going to stay organized, but I've lost those little slips of paper before. I guess I've been lucky up to now that nothing has happened to my bags!

(ok I know I just jinxed myself....)

Dropbox has a lot of free storage as well as both browser access and apps for phones and tablets.

Oh man. Hanging in for the rest of the story. Glad it seems to have a happy ending.

When I started my cruise on the Spirit on May 6 I used my iPhone camera to take pictures of the fronts and backs of all my ID and credit cards as well as my passport. I then emailed the pictures to myself on Gmail. That way I'd have a copy on my phone as well as accessible anywhere by logging into Gmail.com.

I also used a money belt tucked inside my pants to store my cards and passport. For the entire time I was in Europe I kept only a few small Euro bills and my ship card in a zipped pocket in my pants and/or my shirt. Even that was a close call since I managed to drop my ship card onto the sidewalk in Athens on my first port excursion. Luckily the tour guide saw it happen or I too might have had a crazy story to tell.

For added fun, I brought along a small wad of Canadian Tire money (these are "bonus bucks" that you get whenever you shop there, they are actually printed using the same kind of paper as real dollar bills and they look like real currency, only in tiny denominations like 5 and 10 cents). I kept the wad of "fake" money in my front pockets. I almost hoped I'd get pickpocketed!

At one of our ports I saw a couple have a very close call with the ship. I watched as officers and crew stood around the gangway, obviously waiting for someone. Soon enough a lady with a rolling suitcase disembarked, talked with the crew, and walked toward a waiting taxi. They started to retract the gangway. Suddenly another taxi came roaring in, and a man came running out. Both the man and the woman came running back to the ship, they brought down the gangway again, let everyone aboard, and off we went. That man was seconds away from missing the ship and his wife had packed a suitcase in preparation for both of them to make their own way to the next port!

Edited by GreyingJay

Oh man. Hanging in for the rest of the story. Glad it seems to have a happy ending.

When I started my cruise on the Spirit on May 6 I used my iPhone camera to take pictures of the fronts and backs of all my ID and credit cards as well as my passport. I then emailed the pictures to myself on Gmail. That way I'd have a copy on my phone as well as accessible anywhere by logging into Gmail.com.

I also used a money belt tucked inside my pants to store my cards and passport. For the entire time I was in Europe I kept only a few small Euro bills and my ship card in a zipped pocket in my pants and/or my shirt. Even that was a close call since I managed to drop my ship card onto the sidewalk in Athens on my first port excursion. Luckily the tour guide saw it happen or I too might have had a crazy story to tell.

For added fun, I brought along a small wad of Canadian Tire money (these are "bonus bucks" that you get whenever you shop there, they are actually printed using the same kind of paper as real dollar bills and they look like real currency, only in tiny denominations like 5 and 10 cents). I kept the wad of "fake" money in my front pockets. I almost hoped I'd get pickpocketed!

At one of our ports I saw a couple have a very close call with the ship. I watched as officers and crew stood around the gangway, obviously waiting for someone. Soon enough a lady with a rolling suitcase disembarked, talked with the crew, and walked toward a waiting taxi. They started to retract the gangway. Suddenly another taxi came roaring in, and a man came running out. Both the man and the woman came running back to the ship, they brought down the gangway again, let everyone aboard, and off we went. That man was seconds away from missing the ship and his wife had packed a suitcase in preparation for both of them to make their own way to the next port!

Smart lady that wife!!!

Never thought an airline would cancel a flight without notifying you. :eek: You must not have tried to check-in and print boarding passes the day before the flight. It's a good way to find out if the departure time has changed, too. Eagerly waiting for the exciting conclusion!

I had no idea that there are still primitive airlines that don't scan checked bags. Any time I've had to search for a bag, the airline can scan the baggage receipt, or else look at my flight record which has electronic version of the receipt, and see exactly where the bag has gone since it was scanned in upon its arrival at whatever destination. It sucks that you has a different experience.

Not related to the original post, but flying from Rochester, NY to Phoenix, AZ through Orlando a few months ago. My flight from Rochester was late; I made my connection but my bag didn't. Southwest Airlines does not track their bags that way and the baggage folks in terminal do not know where the bag is. It has to be sent to it's final destination from wherever it is sitting at the moment.

I must be confused. You were in a foreign city. You knew you had to buy some clothes to replace those you had in the lost luggage. You then decided to give yourself a mere 60 minutes to find and purchase those clothes, when you knew you had to board your ship in the next two hours. Am I missing something, because if I'm not and the above details are correct, you were inviting a lot of stress. The cancellation of the flight and the lost luggage were not your fault. Cutting it kinda close for the clothes shopping, though.

I still feel for you. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare to me.

Wonder if that's just certain cities? Southwest was paging me at Pittsburgh baggage claim to let me know my bag was in Charlotte.

EDIT: Above was in response to Bill.

Not related to the original post, but flying from Rochester, NY to Phoenix, AZ through Orlando a few months ago. My flight from Rochester was late; I made my connection but my bag didn't. Southwest Airlines does not track their bags that way and the baggage folks in terminal do not know where the bag is. It has to be sent to it's final destination from wherever it is sitting at the moment.

Sorry this happened. I have learned to pack/cram 3 days ( I also make them mix/match for variety) worth of clothes into our carry ons they maybe heavy but at least I will have some clean things if our luggage gets lost.

Better yet, just do carry on and don't check ANY luggage. With one exception, we haven't checked a bag outbound to a vacation in 20+ years. And that includes 3-4 weeks in Asia, Europe, cruises and land tours.

Going home is another story. We happily let the airline have the bag and HOPE they lose it. Then I'd have no dirty laundry and money to go shopping for new clothes!

Another benefit to Dropbox. If you use your phone for photos atcall, download the app that will AUTOMATCALLY copy every new photo you take and uoload the copy to your Dropbox. It doesn't do this until it knows you have a WiFi connection so no data charges.

Instant, brainfree photo back up, so no lost photos if you lose tye phone. Priceless.

Better yet, just do carry on and don't check ANY luggage. With one exception, we haven't checked a bag outbound to a vacation in 20+ years. And that includes 3-4 weeks in Asia, Europe, cruises and land tours.

Going home is another story. We happily let the airline have the bag and HOPE they lose it. Then I'd have no dirty laundry and money to go shopping for new clothes!

I so wish I could have someone come help me pack so I can do this too. I just can't pack for a major trip into a single carry-on. With our upcoming trip on Lufthansa, only one bag is free, the next is $100. So I'm stressing over just the one bag!

If the airline lost my luggage, I swear I'd be shopping in the airport for clothes right then and there.

I always do pack a change of clothes in my carry one...including underwear. Just in case they lose my luggage.

Our airlines loss one of our bags. It was the bag that I packed most of our evening wear. We were flying SFO to Paris to Barcelona. We had nothing but casual clothes. I was surprised how much I could find in the gift shops on DCL. I was able to buy a black dress and I bought my husband 2 dress shirts and a pair of slacks. I noted they had a lot of stuff like socks, underwear, swim suits, etc... The only problem I have with only carryon is the liquid limitation. I can't go without my makeup, face cleaner, moisturers, etc.. Do people buy new in a foreign port?

I must be confused. You were in a foreign city. You knew you had to buy some clothes to replace those you had in the lost luggage. You then decided to give yourself a mere 60 minutes to find and purchase those clothes, when you knew you had to board your ship in the next two hours. Am I missing something, because if I'm not and the above details are correct, you were inviting a lot of stress. The cancellation of the flight and the lost luggage were not your fault. Cutting it kinda close for the clothes shopping, though.

I still feel for you. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare to me.

I assumed they were hoping their bags would show up instead of paying for a whole new wardrobe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I ALWAYS cross pack bags and have a carryon with essentials.

DH and I pack a few outfits in each others bags in case one gets lost, then I have a carryon with my camera gear, jewelry, basic toiletries (minus liquids), medications and a change of clothes or two.

Last October we did 3 weeks in Europe with one checked bag each, one carryon each and my backpack (counted as my purse). We took formal wear, but also quick drying wash and wear clothes with limited amount of shoes. Amazes me sometimes how people need 6 pairs of shoes for a trip.

I feel bad for this couple and hope the end of the story is happier.

I've been lucky to have been to Europe several times and not been pick-pocketed (always keep my passport somewhere under my clothes). I have had luggage lost before, but it did catch up with me eventually. Hope theirs did also.

The only problem I have with only carryon is the liquid limitation. I can't go without my makeup, face cleaner, moisturers, etc.. Do people buy new in a foreign port?

Yes, I do buy stuff in port, but mostly before boarding the ship. This is quite easy since we always fly in at least one day prior to departure.

And some liquids I repack into smaller bottles and jars. Some things are purchased in travel size. Some things we just do without. The ONLY thing I seriously miss is my husband wearing Gio, my favorite aftershave.

A small price for never losing luggage!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

LOVE the Canadian Tire money idea! I've got a bunch of it lying around - I'm going to try that! Can't you just see the pickpocket's face?

That will never happen, we usually go 2-3 weeks..we each only ck one bag there are just things I have to have !