NCL should do this for photos

We went to Disney World in April this year and one thing Disney does that we thought was impressive was we were able to purchase a Memory Maker. You pay one price, I believe it cost us $150.00 and every picture that was taken of our party during our entire stay was able to be downloaded to our computer when we got home. All the pictures that the Disney staff took of us throughout the parks, the ride pictures, the restaurant pictures, all were included. With one click of the button at home we had so many pictures that my wife is able to make a wonderful album for my Grandchildren that they will never forget. We were able to view the pictures on my sons laptop or many places in the park.

NCL should so something similar. It is a shame of all the pictures that get thrown out at the end of a cruise. I know we would do this if the cruise line offered it and NCL would be the first to do it.

Something to think about.

We went to Disney World in April this year and one thing Disney does that we thought was impressive was we were able to purchase a Memory Maker. You pay one price, I believe it cost us $150.00 and every picture that was taken of our party during our entire stay was able to be downloaded to our computer when we got home. All the pictures that the Disney staff took of us throughout the parks, the ride pictures, the restaurant pictures, all were included. With one click of the button at home we had so many pictures that my wife is able to make a wonderful album for my Grandchildren that they will never forget. We were able to view the pictures on my sons laptop or many places in the park.

NCL should so something similar. It is a shame of all the pictures that get thrown out at the end of a cruise. I know we would do this if the cruise line offered it and NCL would be the first to do it.

If I remember right, NCL offered something similar when we were on the Gem last January... the photos were loaded onto a flash drive that was shaped like the ship. I can't remember of there was a special price for a package or if you paid by the picture. We only purchase the "Welcome Aboard" photo.

First of all I don't think that they should print any pictures unless they are purchased first. What a waste in terms of the environment and staff's time. In this day and age there has got to be a better way. We didn't purchase one photo on our cruise this past month.

I do like the new photo shot package that they had on this cruise though. I think that they called it perspectives. the shots I saw of people on location in Santorini were wonderful.

If I remember right, NCL offered something similar when we were on the Gem last January... the photos were loaded onto a flash drive that was shaped like the ship. I can't remember of there was a special price for a package or if you paid by the picture. We only purchase the "Welcome Aboard" photo.

Yes, you are correct - they (NCL) had a flash drive package (earlier they offered the same on a CD) with all photos for purchase both when we were on the Epic last August, and on the Spirit last January. I don't remember the exact price, only that it was cheaper for me to purchase the 5 photos I wanted and then scan them myself. But I believe it was kind of "pricey" to purchase the total package (something like $199 or $299 - but I might remember the price wrong, all I know is that it was for sure expensive)....

Edited by TrumpyNor

I agree - I think that is a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, they did offer this one time on our Epic cruise in 2010 but it was ridiculously expensive ($299?) They also offered a very reasonable DVD (29.95?) of snippets of video from parties, shore excursions, etc that gave a general overview of the cruise that we did purchase, even though it was not specifically of ourselves (we were in a couple of shots).

I have asked on board and told they make much more money on spur of the moment purchases. In this day and age I find that hard to believe as most everyone is digital. I myself either post to Facebook for family and friends to see or I have made a few photo books. Now, if the cruiseline would offer a "class" on photo books, where you could upload your own photos plus use their photos to make an album on line that would be sent to your home I would do that, as long as it was, say, less than $100 for the typical 20 page book.

I was also told that they recycle all those printed photos. I don't know how but that was what I was told...

First of all I don't think that they should print any pictures unless they are purchased first. What a waste in terms of the environment and staff's time. In this day and age there has got to be a better way. We didn't purchase one photo on our cruise this past month.

I do like the new photo shot package that they had on this cruise though. I think that they called it perspectives. the shots I saw of people on location in Santorini were wonderful.

They don't print them on the Getaway or Breakaway. You view your photos electronically, and pick out those you want to buy.

They don't print them on the Getaway or Breakaway. You view your photos electronically, and pick out those you want to buy.

They printed a bunch on our Breakaway cruise this past October. Has that changed?

That is where I had the conversation concerning impulse buys with the photo manager.

They printed a bunch on our Breakaway cruise this past October. Has that changed?

That is where I had the conversation concerning impulse buys with the photo manager.

They printed some and some were just digital on the BA in December and January.

On 4/19 cruise on Getaway all pictures they took of us were printed into our folder - we cross-checked from the viewing apparatus. :)

The packages on NCL ships seem to be (these were the same on Getaway (4/19) and Dawn (4/27) cruises):

- Any 10 photos for $149

- Any 20 photos for $199

- All already purchased photos as digital files on a ship-shaped flash drive $19 (I had recollection of $29 but GF disagreed so we'll go with $19 ;))

Edited by Demonyte

Maybe if the photographers took better pictures, people would buy them! :rolleyes:

At home I think many are used to editing and printing their own pictures...or even better - at the local Walgreens, where there is almost always a photo machine to adjust/correct/edit your photo and then buy a 5x7 of it for .39 cents with their coupon!

Aside from the crazy high prices for the ship pictures, there are hardly ever more than 1 or 2 pictures of us from an entire week that we would even consider buying. Blurry, rushed, poor lighting, etc. in most of them.

I can tell you this, though...if even the "blurry, rushed, poorly lit" photos were $5 each in stead of $20, we'd probably buy them all!

NCL would get $50-$60 out us instead of the current $0.

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

They printed some and some were just digital on the BA in December and January.

On 4/19 cruise on Getaway all pictures they took of us were printed into our folder - we cross-checked from the viewing apparatus. :)

Okay, I must be mistaken! What I have seen in photos and read in reviews show that you view your photos at viewing stations on screens, and they are not printed out in rows and rows of photos to search through as they are on other cruise lines and older ships. If they are, then it must have been my imagination. Sorry for the confusion! I thought NCL was on the right track, but if they are still printing out all photos for passengers to search through even on these new vessels, then I guess they are not.

Okay, I must be mistaken! What I have seen in photos and read in reviews show that you view your photos at viewing stations on screens, and they are not printed out in rows and rows of photos to search through as they are on other cruise lines and older ships. If they are, then it must have been my imagination. Sorry for the confusion! I thought NCL was on the right track, but if they are still printing out all photos for passengers to search through even on these new vessels, then I guess they are not.

Bolded statement is correct, you do not need to search for your separate pictures like on older ships (well, Jewel just got this same system so they are upgrading ships from old system to new, one by one), just your cabin's folder (folder ID is printed on the keycard) that already contains all the pictures associated to your cabin (they have mini tablets attached to cameras on ships with the new system and use them to tag photos to specific cabins).

Sorry for the horrendous paragraph, try to cope with it. :D

I buy exactly zero pictures from the cruise lines because of the price. If a disk of photos were $100, or individuals $5, they might get some money from me. One would think they'd rather have $100 than $0, but I guess someone there has done the math. :rolleyes:

Disneyworld, Disney Cruiseline newer ships/Fantasy/Dream, Royal Caribbean, Oasis/Allure all have new software imaging which allows them to put all pictures on electronic disks. When you get your picture taken as you board the ship; this picture serves as the base for all the other pictures taken on the cruise. We also used this service on Allure and Disneyworld. The older ships on all lines don't do this. I agree with everyone; the price of the pictures are high; and look how many pics go unused and are recycled. Oh well have a nice day.

We seldom buy ship photos... but, last year on Celebrity we purchased the CD with all the ship photographs we wanted for an outrageous price. With a complimentary beverage package and a large OBC, we decided early on to get the photo CD to burn through a portion of the OBC. So instead of AVOIDING ship photographers like usual, we sought them out and took many photos. On the formal dinner nights, we stopped at every photographer’s station and posed for the 8-10 shots with their backdrops. It became our on-ship adventure to amass as many photos (and as many complimentary beverages) as possible.

Not only can view the printed pictures, but they use facial recognition software that ties all your photos to your stateroom. You can see all your pictures on the TV in your room or the kiosk in the photo studio. If you find one you like, you can add it to your shopping cart for future purchase.

After wearing a monkey suit for a couple of formal dinners, it reinforced my preference for NCL's relaxed freestyle approach to cruising. And if I ever need a reminder, I have a dust covered CD full of pictures to jog the memory.

On two of our previous Jade cruises they did offer a package of pay one price and get all your photos from the cruise ( they were not digital but you got every picture they took) We got the package both times, but they no longer offer it as a different company is running the photography on the ships. We were told on the Pearl last year that the European based NCL ships have a different photo company than the US based ships. So this is why you may see different photo offers on different cruises.

We purchased the USB drive this past cruise on the Jade is was 24.99 and they let us put on all our pictures for the 14 days it was nice to have pictures social media ready when we got home.

On our recent trip, it was a combination of both, all of the pictures that were taken by a person were placed in a folder that was specific to our cabin, any pictures taken on the slides, ropes course etc, were lined along the wall (by date so it made it slightly easier to find yourself) or you could also search on the display board and see all of your pictures. We didn't have a large ammt of pictures taken, but there was one couple checking out their folder and they had to have had over 100 pictures by day 4!

My sisters ended up winning 4 free photos from playing deal or no deal, which is the only reason any of our pictures left the ship, but the pictures they did get came out great.

Last year on the Sky, we won 2 free pics, but due to the piles of picturea, we never did find any of our own... I much prefer the method on the newer ships!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk