Disney or Royal Caribbean cruise for honeymoon??

holliday27

Hey everyone,

My fiancé and I are starting to look into cruises for our honeymoon next July 2015. So far I have 2 cruises that I am trying to decide between and I need your help! The first one is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy cruise leaving July 18, 2015. The second is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas cruise leaving July 11, 2015. I, of course, would looooove to go on a Disney cruise(I have been on 2 previously when I was younger) and my fiancé likes the idea but is worried about the price. Please share your opinions on which cruise/ship you prefer, best for our honeymoon, etc.

A little information about us: We are a couple of 20-somethings who are big disney fans. We aren't crazy party/club people but do enjoy drinking and having fun!

I look forward to everyone's input! thanks!

My opinion, its your honeymoon. If you have the budget, go for it.

For our honeymoon, we did a few days at WDW, then went on a Princess cruise. Both were totally different experiences, but we had a great time on both.

Hey everyone,

My fiancé and I are starting to look into cruises for our honeymoon next July 2015. So far I have 2 cruises that I am trying to decide between and I need your help! The first one is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy cruise leaving July 18, 2015. The second is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas cruise leaving July 11, 2015. I, of course, would looooove to go on a Disney cruise(I have been on 2 previously when I was younger) and my fiancé likes the idea but is worried about the price. Please share your opinions on which cruise/ship you prefer, best for our honeymoon, etc.

A little information about us: We are a couple of 20-somethings who are big disney fans. We aren't crazy party/club people but do enjoy drinking and having fun!

I look forward to everyone's input! thanks!

Tough choice. What is the price difference on comparable cabin categories? As a previous poster said, go for it, it's your honeymoon, but what could you use that extra money for if you choose RC? Will you always regret choosing RC if you go that way?

Of course, the answers are going to be slanted depending on which board you post this question.:)

Have fun planning, I'm sure either way it will be fantastic! Congratulations.

Tough choice. What is the price difference on comparable cabin categories? As a previous poster said, go for it, it's your honeymoon, but what could you use that extra money for if you choose RC? Will you always regret choosing RC if you go that way?

Of course, the answers are going to be slanted depending on which board you post this question.:)

Have fun planning, I'm sure either way it will be fantastic! Congratulations.

Disney would be around $4300 for inside and RCCL would be around $2500 for a Central Park view(porthole looking at the Central Park neighborhood on the interior of the ship).

My biggest concern about choosing royal caribbean is that the food will not be as good. My fiancé went to culinary school so the food must be good as well as the service(in my opinion).

Disney would be around $4300 for inside and RCCL would be around $2500 for a Central Park view(porthole looking at the Central Park neighborhood on the interior of the ship).

My biggest concern about choosing royal caribbean is that the food will not be as good. My fiancé went to culinary school so the food must be good as well as the service(in my opinion).

In that case do Disney and have a dinner at Remy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Wow, that is a pretty significant difference! Are you sure there is a cabin category with just a porthole view of Central Park? I thought they all had at least a large bay window, but I may be mistaken. In the inside on Fantasy, you'll have the magic porthole - fun entertainment.

As far as food, that is such a subjective topic. As you read through reviews of cruises on any line, you will see that some people love the food, some hate it. It can depend on the venue, the ship, the servers, personal taste, etc. I can speak to the service on RC, it has been fantastic on each of our cruises. I am looking forward to Disney as I would expect it is at least equal. The speciality restaurants on the RC ships offer a varied dining experience at a very reasonable price, and you would have more choices of venues. We are looking forward to having a dinner at Remy onboard the Fantasy- hear it is excellent, but remember there is an added cost ($60pp perhaps ?).

Being Disney fans, you really do have a difficult decision!

In that case do Disney and have a dinner at Remy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I would love to dine at Remy but I don't know if we'll be able to afford that without it being gifted to us.

Wow, that is a pretty significant difference! Are you sure there is a cabin category with just a porthole view of Central Park? I thought they all had at least a large bay window, but I may be mistaken. In the inside on Fantasy, you'll have the magic porthole - fun entertainment.

As far as food, that is such a subjective topic. As you read through reviews of cruises on any line, you will see that some people love the food, some hate it. It can depend on the venue, the ship, the servers, personal taste, etc. I can speak to the service on RC, it has been fantastic on each of our cruises. I am looking forward to Disney as I would expect it is at least equal. The speciality restaurants on the RC ships offer a varied dining experience at a very reasonable price, and you would have more choices of venues. We are looking forward to having a dinner at Remy onboard the Fantasy- hear it is excellent, but remember there is an added cost ($60pp perhaps ?).

Yes, you are probably right about the window instead of porthole. I have heard the restaurants you pay additional for are quite good but that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to keep the cost down in my opinion. Maybe we could do that 1-2 nights on the ship!

Also, Disney has just released fall of 2015 dates and a cruise on Sept 12 starts from $2,555! Thats a waaay better price! BUT, is it A) too long of a wait to go on our honeymoon(we get married the end of June)? and B) a terrible idea to cruise in Sept with hurricane season?

If you enjoy nightlife into the evening, choose RCCL. DCL's ends at 10 -11pm. lol.

Then again it's your honeymoon, ..... so you will have the clubs to yourselves. :D

Edited by bear3412

If you are willing to delay your official honeymoon, you can save a bunch by cruising during the off season (school is in session) and there probably will be less children on board, both cruise lines!

As for Remy, put Disney gift cards on your wedding registry. Then use them to pay for upcharges, excursions, etc.

WE love DCL, but RCCL has such an awesome BOGOHO rate that I would at least put a deposit for RCCL (you can cancel 90ish days out for full refund). Add $200 and eat at signature dining 4 nights ($25PPX4). The other nights, do whatever--order room service, etc.

WE love DCL, but RCCL has such an awesome BOGOHO rate that I would at least put a deposit for RCCL (you can cancel 90ish days out for full refund). Add $200 and eat at signature dining 4 nights ($25PPX4). The other nights, do whatever--order room service, etc.

That's right, I forgot about the BOGOHO. Certain cabin categories are excluded, but when we booked our Norway cruise, our balcony cabin was more resonable than lower categories.

Important to note that this promotion is running through May only.

My husband and I are HUGE Disney freaks. I'm turning 30 this year and I've been to WDW 27 times, I've visited every Disney park on the planet, 2 Disney cruises, all of our art and pictures at home are Disney and my family's official game is "guess what Disney ride that's from" :). We're seriously hooked and everyone thinks we're crazy...

So naturally for our honeymoon we wanted to combine a Disney cruise with WDW (we went to WDW for 2 weeks after our cruise. The characters' reactions to honeymooners are just amazing!!). My dream destination for the cruise was Alaska and that was our plan, but then we saw that DCL was so much more expensive than the other cruise lines, almost double (just like what you've found) so we hesitantly and reluctantly chose RCCL's Radiance. We absolutely loved it!!!!! The service is on par with Disney, we thought the food was great and there are much more activities for adults than on DCL. I thought the only thing Disney does better are the shows, which just can't be topped by anyone and are amazing.

We loved the cruise so much that the next summer (last year) we went on the Allure with my parents for their 35th anniversary. It's an AMAZING ship!! We had boardwalk balcony rooms and we absolutely loved it. My mom had been on the Disney Dream and she enjoyed the Allure more.

All that being said, if your heart is set on DCL and the prices are better in September and you guys can go in September then why not postpone your honeymoon? We went on ours a year and a half after we got married :)

Whatever you do it will be amazing!! Congratulations!

We did a 7 day Eastern for our honeymoon in Sept 2013. We also did a week in the parks before that (yeah we are crazy Disney people). :D

I loved loved loved our cruise! We are also 20 somethings and arent into partying much either. Everyone I tell about the cruise asks me "ew isnt it all kids?"

My answer is always, well yeah there are kids, but there are adult areas where you dont see a kid all day. The kids so the kid stuff and the adults do the adult stuff.

Because its Disney, they of course treated us like royalty because it was our honeymoon. We requested a table for 2 because it was our honeymoon and we got a table for 2.

It was also Sept, so the ship wasnt at capacity, but i assume in July any ship with any line could be at capacity.

We loved it so much we booked another cruise from the ship. We sail in 193 days on the Dream.

Congrats! I'm sure whatever you choose will be magical!

If you are willing to delay your official honeymoon, you can save a bunch by cruising during the off season (school is in session) and there probably will be less children on board, both cruise lines!

As for Remy, put Disney gift cards on your wedding registry. Then use them to pay for upcharges, excursions, etc.

We did a honeymoon registry and there are options for DCL. There are also options for other cruise lines too!

We used honeymoonwishes.com and we loved it!!

Wow, that is a pretty significant difference!

The price seems right on par with what Ive seen. We are huge Disney fans, but until this year I could never justify the price. Our first cruise was originally booked with Disney, but then I looked at Royal and it was LITERALLY half the price, so we went with Royal and have been loyal to them since. That said, we did honeymoon in WDW. I may go with royal for the cruise and then spend a few days in WDW for the price of just the DCL cruise. We just did that last week. 7 days on freedom and 36 hours in WDW.

My wife and I are in our mid to late 40's. We were married in July 2007. We took a four day Disney cruise on the Wonder for our honeymoon. It was our first cruise ever. Two days into that cruise we booked the same cruise with our kids(4 plus gf's & bf's) for that Jan. Since then, we have cruise Disney seven times, with kids and without. By the way, the kids are, at the time of the first sailing, 15 to 21.

It is a little more expensive, but well worth it. I am sure you are not skimping on your wedding, dont skimp on your honeymoon!!

Congrats and say hi to Mickey for me!!!

Dinner at Remy is $75. a person, but well worth the price! Not sure about lunch prices though.

My wife and I are in our mid to late 40's. We were married in July 2007. We took a four day Disney cruise on the Wonder for our honeymoon. It was our first cruise ever. Two days into that cruise we booked the same cruise with our kids(4 plus gf's & bf's) for that Jan. Since then, we have cruise Disney seven times, with kids and without. By the way, the kids are, at the time of the first sailing, 15 to 21.

It is a little more expensive, but well worth it. I am sure you are not skimping on your wedding, dont skimp on your honeymoon!!

Great Post!:)

Great Post!:)

Anyone who has gone to culinary school and truly appreciates a fine meal is not going to be overly impressed with the food on either of those lines, or any other for that matter. FWIW, the best/most consistently good MDR food we've found so far is on Celebrity.

I would love to dine at Remy but I don't know if we'll be able to afford that without it being gifted to us.

Yes, you are probably right about the window instead of porthole. I have heard the restaurants you pay additional for are quite good but that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to keep the cost down in my opinion. Maybe we could do that 1-2 nights on the ship!

Also, Disney has just released fall of 2015 dates and a cruise on Sept 12 starts from $2,555! Thats a waaay better price! BUT, is it A) too long of a wait to go on our honeymoon(we get married the end of June)? and B) a terrible idea to cruise in Sept with hurricane season?

Remy is an EXCELLENT meal. Between cover charge, wine and tip...we spent about $400 that night. It isn't something to consider if trying to watch your pennies.

Why not settle in as a married couple for a few months before honeymooning? If you wait until September, you won't be exhausted from the wedding planning and there will be fewer kids on the cruise (well, fewer on Royal Caribbean, anyway.) As for the dates, hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.

You will enjoy either cruise. Your first post mentioned your fiance is worried about the cost of DCL. You have the rest of your lives to argue about money, don't start now. Take the less expensive cruise and save for DCL later to celebrate an anniversary or when you have kids.