convince me to try NCL again!

lauren75

I went on the GEM for a 7 day cruise out of NY a few years ago. We did not care for the food and found that the freestyle dining resulted in longer wait times than a set schedule. Even though we paid extra $, we didn't think the specialty restaurants were that much better as far as quality.

Now I want to get away for Christmas week and the Breakaway would save me about 2 thousand over the Royal Caribbean (we have sailed RC and Disney in the past). I am willing to pay a little more for the specialty restaurants, but I want to see if the quality has improved with NCL or the Breakaway specifically.

I am not sure anyone should try and convince you, if you were pretty unhappy last time. To us, the food is fine and has improved in the past few years. I will mention, the servings are small, which is a positive we think. Many cruisers think NCL food is better than RCI. It is a subjective opinion at best. I am also surprised you didn't find the food in the specialty dining rooms much better. It would be pretty hard to get a meal in the MDRs like you get at Modernos or Le Bistro for starters. yes, there will be wait times, especially at Christmas week. It really sounds to me like you might be better off to spend the extra money if a 20 or 30 minute wait is an inconvenience. I am a true NCL loyalist, but I do not think it is the cruise line for everyone.

In the few years since your last NCL cruise, the food budget has been cut so the quality has suffered. Still have to wait to get into the MDR unless you eat at 9pm. Price of specialty restaurants has increased, food quality has certainly not gone up. Staff has been reduced, so it takes longer and longer to receive service.

To sum up, things have gotten worse not better at NCL in the past few years. If you know and accept that, lower your expectations significantly, you can still have a good time. Also keep in mind NCL is trying very hard to nickel and dime passengers to death. The bean counters have taken over.

your opinion: I think many of us would disagree as for the overall quality of the food. The servings are smaller, yes, but the quality hasn't gone done hill at all. I have to wonder sometimes, regardless of what you post, how recently you have cruised NCL? We just got off the Dawn and for the most part our service was outstanding. Yes the price of the specialty dining rooms, just like restaurants on the main land have increased, but no more than on other lines and much less than some lines. The longest we waited for a table on our recent cruise was about 20 minutes. We ate as early as 6pm and as late as 8pm. We did have crappy service one night. It was the time we were seated about 8:15. The service was ok until it got close to dessert time, by then the servers decided it was more important to set up for breakfast than to continue waiting on us and the few others still eating. If having bad service one night out of 12 is all, I would not say the service has suffered much from all the cutbacks you seem to say they have done. I also do not think, hiring 7000 employees in a year shows much of a cut back??? What say you???

Having cruised most of the BIG ships on RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL, I have to say that of the specialty restaurants, LaCucina (NCL) and Cagney's (NCL) were my favorites. Followed by Giovanni's Table (RCCL). Of the "free" venues, the Parke Cafe (RCCL) ranks as my favorite, followed by the Taste/Savor twins (NCL).

Special mention goes to O'Sheehans (NCL). Always open...always fresh food....always good (pub food), and it's free. Chicken Pot Pie is a favorite there.

Overall, food is good on all of these big ships. The only food we had issue with, on a ship we would have NEVER expected any issues, was the Celebrity Solstice.

Carnival is good....especially their buffets. But, we're talking favorites here. And, Carnival didn't have any of my favorites.

After our first cruise on NCL in 15 years I have to say that the above seems to sum up our experience. At best our meals were "mediocre". While food is definitely 'subjective' -- one would expect more than 1 night out of 7 to have a really enjoyable meal. The first night of "surf and turf" was delicious but other than that the rest of the MDR meals could only be described as 'family-restaurant' quality. In attentive servers did not add to the experience.

Dining on the "GEM" was not what we hoped for our return to NCL.

I don't think most of us are comparing the food today with 15 years ago. Try figuring out the cost of cruising today, versus 15 years ago: considering inflation the rates have gone down, not up and the cost of food has doubled or close to doubled. I would agree, compared to 15 years ago the quality and quantity have gone down, compared to 5 years ago the quality has gone up. Of course we also do not know how many times, in the past 5 years you have cruised other lines. Many of us are basing our opinions on experiences on other lines over the past few years. I do somewhat agree, the food in the MDRs could be categorized as family quality. I tell people this: if you are expecting Ruth's Chris quality you will be very disappointed: if you are expecting Chili's quality, you will be happy. Now, the specialty dining rooms, that is a totally different story. Most of them are top of the line.

I don't think most of us are comparing the food today with 15 years ago. Try figuring out the cost of cruising today, versus 15 years ago: considering inflation the rates have gone down, not up and the cost of food has doubled or close to doubled. I would agree, compared to 15 years ago the quality and quantity have gone down, compared to 5 years ago the quality has gone up. Of course we also do not know how many times, in the past 5 years you have cruised other lines. Many of us are basing our opinions on experiences on other lines over the past few years. I do somewhat agree, the food in the MDRs could be categorized as family quality. I tell people this: if you are expecting Ruth's Chris quality you will be very disappointed: if you are expecting Chili's quality, you will be happy. Now, the specialty dining rooms, that is a totally different story. Most of them are top of the line.

Good synopsis. I think all cruise line food took a dip there a few years ago. Not sure why. Maybe it was a way to offset the precipitous drop in cruise fares after the economic meltdown. They just cut the food quality and quantity. I do have to say that the last few cruises I've taken (particularly the Epic and Breakaway) the food has been wonderful.

Portions aren't overwhelming like they used to be. On the other hand, I could never finish any of those meals anyway.

Quality has improved over the last few years, though.

The reference to 15 years ago was just the last time I was on NCL… don't exactly remember the food but do remember seeing them cut up huge melons in the buffet and that was impressive!

The food comparisons I was making was on several other cruiselines that we have sailed on specifically in the past THREE years (as recently as this past January) where the food has been GOOD… not just MEDIOCRE.

Is the food the main reason you cruise? If it is, go with your other choice. If there are other things you like about cruising, choose NCL. That way you can save the money for other things to do on your NCL cruise.

Is the food the main reason you cruise? If it is, go with your other choice. If there are other things you like about cruising, choose NCL. That way you can save the money for other things to do on your NCL cruise.

"Food as the main reason to cruise"? Hardly... But I do expect GOOD food.

Family and friends have had good food on the Epic....thought I'd have a similar experience on the GEM, not so. In fact the friends who traveled with us were on the EPIC last year and they were amazed at the difference in food quality.

"Food as the main reason to cruise"? Hardly... But I do expect GOOD food.

Family and friends have had good food on the Epic....thought I'd have a similar experience on the GEM, not so. In fact the friends who traveled with us were on the EPIC last year and they were amazed at the difference in food quality.

I found the food on the Gem last week to be better than what we had 4 years ago on the Sky and better than what we had on CCL 2 years ago. I personally have no issue at all with "family restaurant quality" in a mainstream cruiseline's MDR.

I personally have no issue at all with "family restaurant quality" in a mainstream cruiseline's MDR.

I agree completely. What I don't like are the over the top reviews of the specialty restaurants that are completely inaccurate, and which conveys the impression that they are truly great, which couldn't be further from the truth. My expectations have been lowered based on personal experience so now I know what to expect, and excellent food isn't on the list for future cruises. Even so, I don't need excellent food, but I would like good food, and my visit to the Blue Lagoon on the Pearl earlier this month was atrocious with a chicken sandwich I couldn't eat - we also had the chicken wings, which were okay but nothing to write home about (I shouldn't be surprised at this point that some of you think they're great, but honestly they were quite tasteless). I don't need lots of food when I travel (and no sweets at all) but it would be nice if it was prepared correctly and of good quality. In my opinion, the breakfasts in the MDR were the best meal of the day.

Sent from my iPad

Edited by Okmyx

Portions aren't overwhelming like they used to be. On the other hand, I could never finish any of those meals anyway.

... And if you did, couldn't you just order a second helping? We're talking about the MDR, right? I don't see a problem here.

Having cruised most of the BIG ships on RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL, I have to say that of the specialty restaurants, LaCucina (NCL) and Cagney's (NCL) were my favorites. Followed by Giovanni's Table (RCCL). Of the "free" venues, the Parke Cafe (RCCL) ranks as my favorite, followed by the Taste/Savor twins (NCL).

Special mention goes to O'Sheehans (NCL). Always open...always fresh food....always good (pub food), and it's free. Chicken Pot Pie is a favorite there.

Overall, food is good on all of these big ships. The only food we had issue with, on a ship we would have NEVER expected any issues, was the Celebrity Solstice.

Carnival is good....especially their buffets. But, we're talking favorites here. And, Carnival didn't have any of my favorites.

Thank you ~ your comparison and suggestions are just what I was looking for :)

I, too, am looking for confirmation that I will enjoy cruising on NCL. I'm not a fussy cruiser (that would be DH ;) ) but I do want to feel I am getting a good value for my cruising dollar. We typically cruise RCCL and have done one CCL. I was quite content, even on a smaller CCL ship; DH on the other hand refuses to consider CCL again. I'm generally satisfied with the exception of having a hot meal. Would it be fair to say that the smaller venues are able to offer hotter meals and more specialized service? Also, do you have the same wait staff for the entire cruise (MDR) or does it change with each meal? I must admit I love that my waiter knows I like Arnold Palmers and that my DH adores shrimp cocktail each night, even if it isn't a choice.

Is it possible that I'm reading too much? and perhaps, reading grouchy reviews? After all, with several thousand people aboard each cruise there are relatively few postings. Just a thought.....

Personally, I don't see how it can be a bad vacation considering I am being pampered 24 / 7 :D At any rate, how can we know which lines are better if we never try them ~ so, here we go!

I, too, am looking for confirmation that I will enjoy cruising on NCL. I'm not a fussy cruiser (that would be DH ;) ) but I do want to feel I am getting a good value for my cruising dollar. We typically cruise RCCL and have done one CCL. I was quite content, even on a smaller CCL ship; DH on the other hand refuses to consider CCL again. I'm generally satisfied with the exception of having a hot meal. Would it be fair to say that the smaller venues are able to offer hotter meals and more specialized service? Also, do you have the same wait staff for the entire cruise (MDR) or does it change with each meal? I must admit I love that my waiter knows I like Arnold Palmers and that my DH adores shrimp cocktail each night, even if it isn't a choice.

Is it possible that I'm reading too much? and perhaps, reading grouchy reviews? After all, with several thousand people aboard each cruise there are relatively few postings. Just a thought.....

Personally, I don't see how it can be a bad vacation considering I am being pampered 24 / 7 :D At any rate, how can we know which lines are better if we never try them ~ so, here we go!

Go with a positive attitude... put blinders on when looking at the name of the cruise line... make up your mind you're going to love your cruise and ignore the nay-sayers. YOU'RE ON VACATION ON A SHIP!!! What could be better? I love to cruise, love the feel of the ship moving over the water, love the crew with their smiles and their positive attitude, love the variety of food whether we pay the upcharge or not... love not having to make the bed, or the breakfast, lunch or dinner and love the relaxed feeling when we meet new people in all the wonderful areas on the ship. We love to cruise, like you. Enjoy your cruise, enjoy your life.

Some live to eat, but I am of the eat to live crowd. I don't remember much of anything about the food on the 5 NCL cruises I have taken, which is a good thing to me. There is so much more going on, I would hate to waste time eating when there is so much else going down. Never felt sick, never felt hungry, will try specialty restaurants after next cruise, when we hit Platinum status.

Thank you ~ your comparison and suggestions are just what I was looking for :)

My pleasure. Glad I could help.

You'll find some who are loyalists. They like one particular cruise line and rarely, if ever, venture from them. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not one of those, however. I like variety, and to try different experiences.

All of these cruise lines have been doing this for a good long while. They know what they can and can't do...to serve 2,500-3,000 even 4,000 plus passengers.

You'll find some differences here and there in the food, but for the most part they all put a solid product on their dining tables.

The biggest changes...adding Freestyle type of dining, which NCL did (eat where and when you want, all the time, without reservations).

And, adding for fee restaurants. If you're cooking and serving for 100 at a time in a specialty restaurant it's much easier to up the quality of your fare, as well as the originality/quality of your dishes. It's something quite different if you're serving 1,500-2,000 ppl at one sitting in the Main Dining Rooms.