Red-eye or Day Before

I'll go with what some other have said: IF you can handle a redeye, and IF you have an alternative in case it's cancelled or overly delayed, I'l go with the redeye.

I can't sleep on a plane, so I will avoid a redeye except as a very last resort. Last time we took one I really don't even remember most of the first day because I was just so tired. And I would not be comfortable if that 6:30 arrival got cancelled and there were not a couple of viable alternatives to get me there for sure before noon or so.

Always flew in day of the cruise because hubby didn't want to pay for hotel. Once we came close to missing the ship because of flight delay. Landed in FLL at 4:30 pm and luckily the Carnival ship was delayed for an hour due to mechanical something. This was many years ago where they didn't have the 1 hr cut off time for boarding. We started to stay two days prior and it's heaven - hubby was sold on it with no more worries about winter flight delays and on the ship by 11:30 am. And true, it's not only snow, it's also the T storms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we are taking the red eye in the night before so we can spend a whole day in san juan before departure. its a vacation, might as well enjoy it

What time does your plane arrive cruise morning from a redeye from the west coast ?? 3:45 am as this was the time I was seeing when researching for our Sept southern caribbean cruise..a little too early arrival for me who never minds the west coast redeyes...Instead we opted to fly to FLL spend a few days in Fort Lauderdale (been to San Juan a few times) and take a early morning flight from FLL-SJU cruise morning.

I am a firm believer of day or two before. We did a Delta flight once that was SMF to FLL and we were to leave at 9:30 AM two days prior. Plane broke, we didn't leave until 10:30 PM, so our flight turned into a red eye like it or not.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm having a hard time contemplating why Delta wouldn't have put you on another flight that same day instead of making you wait 13 hours!

Edited by Erik101

Hi everyone, I am new here, but enjoying all of the great information.?

Welcome to the forum! This is a good question, and its been asked many times and I can predict most of the answers. But I'm always glad to read new opinions. I will just relate two things. I see your in Utah. I've flown in the day of the cruise 4 times and each time no problems, but the further you have to fly the more chances of potential problems. If your flying into Florida or San Juan your odds of problems are a little higher than some of us Easterners.

As I said above my first 4 cruises flying in the day before. Cruise number 5 we flew in the day before and it was so much less stressful! Some people don't have a choice, but if you do, its just one more day of vacation.

Edited by BillOh

Can you elaborate on this? I'm having a hard time contemplating why Delta wouldn't have put you on another flight that same day instead of making you wait 13 hours!

Our continental flight was delayed and we missed a connection, that then caused an overnight stay in Atlanta since the next flight wasn't until the next morning.

Hi everyone, I am new here, but enjoying all of the great information.

Here is a question: What do you prefer - a redeye flight arriving early the morning of departure, or flying in the day before and staying in a hotel?

Obvious choice, right? The only benefit I can see to a red-eye is saving on the cost of a hotel room. But here is the kicker. What if flying the redeye saved you about $700?

I ask because I stumbled upon an airline deal with a redeye roundtrip nonstop from my home city to Orlando for less than $200 each. That price is only good for the date of departure. It arrives in Orlando at 6:30 a.m. Flights to Orlando from my city usually run about $500 each. I figure we would also save about $100 on the hotel.

So, in this situation, what would you do?

So do the red eye the day before! You are still saving on the cost of the plane fare, can spend the day relaxing and be ready to cries the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Because they never canceled it they kept saying it was delayed. That went on all day until about 4:00 pm and by then the alternative was come back next day. Only reason we lucked out for the red eye was we had first class and there were still seats.

During the day I was on the phone with Delta and in line with the gate agent and looking out the window at the plane's engine in pieces on the tarmac. Funny (not so) gate agent says "parts on its way from Atlanta" phone customer service "oh you are scheduled to leave in an hour" and I am looking at engine parts scattered all over the ground and nobody around.

In fact I told the lady on the phone, "lady I am standing here looking at the plane and pretty certain it's not going any where in an hour or even two".

One time the husband booked us on a flight that arrived at 2.30pm day of boarding (at Sydney Australia - domestic flight). We were on board by about 3.30 after getting the train from the airport. He can't understand whey I say NEVER AGAIN! We were very lucky, but with the drive being about 6 hours we had no contingency time.

We now drive up the day before and stay with some lovely friends. So much more relaxed when we get on. :)

That price is only good for the date of departure.

So do the red eye the day before! You are still saving on the cost of the plane fare, can spend the day relaxing and be ready to cries the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What part of "That price is only good for the date of departure" didn´t you understand?

If possible at all I will always arrive a day early. I want to be relaxed!

If I´m flying out of another Airport than my "home" Airport I will try to go there a night ealry to be relaxed Boarding.

I would happily eat the extra cost.

Here is a question: What do you prefer - a redeye flight arriving early the morning of departure, or flying in the day before and staying in a hotel?

Obvious choice, right? The only benefit I can see to a red-eye is saving on the cost of a hotel room. But here is the kicker. What if flying the redeye saved you about $700?

I ask because I stumbled upon an airline deal with a redeye roundtrip nonstop from my home city to Orlando for less than $200 each. That price is only good for the date of departure. It arrives in Orlando at 6:30 a.m. Flights to Orlando from my city usually run about $500 each. I figure we would also save about $100 on the hotel.

We cruise in February from the northeast and always fly the same day with the earliest available flight. The earliest fight tends to avoid delays that tend to crop up later. Only once have we had any sort of problems (snow storm) and avoided the problem by getting a flight a day earlier. It was a 2 stopper and arrived in San Juan at a very late time & had to sleep in the airport until the AM. It was an experience with some 200+ other travelers impacted by the upcoming storm sharing the floor and chairs as sleeping quarters.

How about taking the red eye a day before you planned to and get an affordable hotel. You could still save some money and not be exhausted for the first day of your cruise. :)

How about taking the red eye a day before you planned to and get an affordable hotel. You could still save some money and not be exhausted for the first day of your cruise. :)

That price is only good for the date of departure.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would use part of the savings to buy very, very good trip insurance. At least you will be able to get another flight if that one is cancelled.

I would use part of the savings to buy very, very good trip insurance. At least you will be able to get another flight if that one is cancelled.

I don't think it's a question of the insurance being 'good' or not.

You need to read the terms and conditions and see how long the delay must be before they will pay for missing the cruise. If the delay must be 6 hours or more and you would miss your cruise if your flight was delayed by 3 hours, you are out of luck. In other words, they won't pay for stupid booking practices.

btw to me, it is not relaxing flying in the night before. I am travelling with 3 teens and unpacking and repacking in a hotel room the night before is stressful for me. I would much rather take the first flight out on the same day and go straight to the ship.

We use the redeye only when it is a nonstop flight, arriving early on the morning of the beginning of the cruise; it almost always saves some big bucks. If a redeye is not available, then we go in a day early and are more rested at the start of the cruise! In either case, have a good travel insurance policy.