Compare Princess to other cruise lines

paddingtonbear

Travelled on Seabourn, P&O and Princess and we tend to book premium cabins on both P&O and Princess.

Apart from our trips on Seabourn, we used to cruise exclusively with P&O, but around four years ago, we concluded that many aspects of their customer service meant that they just did not value the custom of their premium grade passengers, so we decided to try Princess.

Now it is just Princess or Seabourn.

However, if you are not travelling in premium class cabins, P&O and Princess are very much on a par.

I must also confess to being prejudiced against Cunard because of the onboard class system. We tend to go for tables of eight and, although we usually travel in premium cabins, we have made many friends across all grades of cabin on both P&O and Princess and the idea that Cunard think that I am too important to dine with people in lower grade cabins does not sit easily with my social outlook.

I would like to offer a bit of perspective on the perceived "Class System" on Cunard. Yes, if you buy a premium suite you get a separate restaurant. Much like when we get exclusive access to Sabatini's for breakfast as suite passengers on Princess. On Queen Mary 2, if full, the Princess and Queens Grill passengers total approximately 400 out of 2,650 total passengers. Quite the minority. The Grills passengers have one small exclusive lounge area and one small open deck space for their exclusive use. All the pools, entertainment venues, shops, bars, etc. are otherwise for all passengers equally.

I haven't been on all the lines you mentioned but here are my thoughts on what you said.

Celebrity, Princess, Holland - these are all pretty much on the same level to me. Cost a little more, have a slightly older based guests however you will still find people of all ages.

RCCL, Carnival, NCL - again pretty much on the same level as each other. Usually (but not always) cheaper than the ones above. All ages found.

Carnival gets such a bad rap. If you're cruising on a 7 day or longer itinerary I don't see any more partying then I have on any other line. Plus I love the food. You likely will find more partying on any line on a short 3-5 day.

NCL - sadly I think this line has the worst food. Though I do still enjoy the ships and love the freestyle dining.

We have sailed RCI, HAL, and Carnival and the best food we have had was on the Carnival Liberty. From the main dining room, the hand tossed pizza, the Blue Iguana cafe, and the premium steak house, everything was delicious. We were with friends who are very experienced cruisers and they were a little very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Carnival isn't for everyone, but their food, for us, has always been good. We are sailing on Princess in three weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Coral has to offer!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Having sailed Cunard and Seabourn in the past year I think Seabourn is the better of the two cruise lines. As others have said I did not like the class system on Cunard. Seabourn is in a class by itself in terms of service and total experience.

We are elite on Princess and truly enjoy the perks we get but I will gladly give them up for a Seabourn cruise at the right price.

As you can see, you get completely different opinions (many the diametric opposite from each other) when you ask different people about their opinions of cruise ships and cruiselines.. You cannot possibly make those sweeping generalizations of the cruiselines as you have.. Your experience on a particular sailing of a cruise ship, on ANY cruiseline, will depend on a multitude of factors and variables, which are fluid and constantly evolving... including:. the cruiseline's current business plan set into play - which in turn determines the amenities/services that you will have access to and experience, the captain, the officers, the staff, the head chef, the hotel director, the entertainment staff, the entertainment shows themselves, *your* waiter, *your* room steward, the ease in which you embark/disembark, the venues/amenities which you find particularly important either being/not being there for you.... AND, often most importantly, the particular passengers on that particular sailing.. The "vibe", and therefore your experience and perhaps overall impression about that cruiseline, can vary tremendously from one week to the next.... even on the same ship!. Please consider that the itinerary itself (including the experiences you have onshore at the various ports) can have a tremendous impact in your overall vacation experience.. Lastly, don't forget that the "season of your life" - whether you are in your 20s, or 40s, or 60s.... can often make you "see" things differently through the same glasses...

We've been on more cruiselines and ships that we can remember, however one thing we've retained from our experiences on all these ships is that they are more alike than different.. You will find unexpected (sometimes startling) surprises and pleasures:. food better on a Carnival ship than a Celebrity ship, wonderful "vibrant" people and formed-friendships on a HAL ship than a Norwegian ship, a Princess ship being more to your children's liking than a Royal Caribbean ship.... and so on.

Please do not make any one bad experience on one sailing of one cruise line taint and/or form permanent negative generalizations for that entire cruiseline.. Again, you can go on another sailing on that same ship, and have a diametrically opposite experience.. Just be open-minded, know that there are a multitude of cruise ships from which to choose, and be ready to have some of the greatest experiences of your life!

- Rick

We've been on more cruiselines and ships that we can remember, however one thing we've retained from our experiences on all these ships is that they are more alike than different.

I've always felt that way. Even though I've been sailing mostly with Princess in recent years, I've enjoyed all the cruise lines I've sailed with. I've found them to be more the same than different. I didn't find Carnival to be a crazy party ship. I didn't think RCCL was more pushy selling drinks. All the cruise lines gave me a cabin, food, entertainment and transportation to some wonderful destinations.

I was surprised that on our last cruise, Princess, both my brothers said they thought the food was good and that the food on Carnival was about the same. I never sailed on Carnival but my guess is that if you avoid the 3-4 day booze cruise types of sailings, Carnival would be just fine.

As you can see, you get completely different opinions (many the diametric opposite from each other) when you ask different people about their opinions of cruise ships and cruiselines.. You cannot possibly make those sweeping generalizations of the cruiselines as you have.. Your experience on a particular sailing of a cruise ship, on ANY cruiseline, will depend on a multitude of factors and variables, which are fluid and constantly evolving... including:. the cruiseline's current business plan set into play - which in turn determines the amenities/services that you will have access to and experience, the captain, the officers, the staff, the head chef, the hotel director, the entertainment staff, the entertainment shows themselves, *your* waiter, *your* room steward, the ease in which you embark/disembark, the venues/amenities which you find particularly important either being/not being there for you.... AND, often most importantly, the particular passengers on that particular sailing.. The "vibe", and therefore your experience and perhaps overall impression about that cruiseline, can vary tremendously from one week to the next.... even on the same ship!. Please consider that the itinerary itself (including the experiences you have onshore at the various ports) can have a tremendous impact in your overall vacation experience.. Lastly, don't forget that the "season of your life" - whether you are in your 20s, or 40s, or 60s.... can often make you "see" things differently through the same glasses...

We've been on more cruiselines and ships that we can remember, however one thing we've retained from our experiences on all these ships is that they are more alike than different.. You will find unexpected (sometimes startling) surprises and pleasures:. food better on a Carnival ship than a Celebrity ship, wonderful "vibrant" people and formed-friendships on a HAL ship than a Norwegian ship, a Princess ship being more to your children's liking than a Royal Caribbean ship.... and so on.

Please do not make any one bad experience on one sailing of one cruise line taint and/or form permanent negative generalizations for that entire cruiseline.. Again, you can go on another sailing on that same ship, and have a diametrically opposite experience.. Just be open-minded, know that there are a multitude of cruise ships from which to choose, and be ready to have some of the greatest experiences of your life!

- Rick

Well said Rick.

In modern times I have only cruised on one line-Princess-and haven't found much to complain about. After 5 cruises I am halfway to Elite status thanks to booking suites. 2 more cruises booked. So far no reason not to keep going BUT I am curious about other lines and ships so I read reviews on every mainstream/luxury line and watch endless youtube videos. The step-up for me would most likely be Oceania and Azamara at the moment....a smaller ship experience.

Re the OP's post....I would find it hard to fault a cruise line that "pushes drinks" in the case of RCI (RCCL as I now them from my history of cruising) as one of the common complaints against lines like Costa and MSC is the lack of drink service.

"Bar service!"....yeah, over here pal!! My glass shall not be empty and I'm not going to get up from this comfy lounger to go stand at a bar waving a $20 as if I am back home in the UK where you have to be related to the bar-keep to get a drink. I can say no to the "drink of the day" with a plastic umbrella and ice cubes shaped like a dolphin in a giant plastic "glass" that won't fit in my luggage and will join my room steward's collection of plastic crap-but get me a nice cold Beck's sir!

The lines rely on the take from selling drinks to make the voyage profitable so if you are thirsty accept the offer of service. Capitalism at work and I have to love that.

Somewhere in the thread I read that Seabourn are offering some 80% off deals!

I get one e mail a day from Oceania offering the same kind of thing- it's hard to find enough bodies to fill a ship when the pricing is smoke and mirrors. 2 for 1, free airfare etc. The "regular price" is just a fantasy number so that when it is 50% off it enters back into the realm of "what it is really worth for what you will get". Anyone booking a cabin on these lines at regular price needs their head examined and there's probably a spa treatment on board where that can be arranged.

I don't read much satisfaction in reviews regarding butlers and who really needs one? If there is a butler out there who will feed me coconut shrimp or stone crab

just before my afternoon nap then maybe I would want one. If he sings softly to me as I fall into a slumber then I am sailing with that line again.

With Princess I see the price of the cabin and book it. I know they have sales too but I want a specific cabin and can't wait. I am not looking for cheap- I am looking for good and exactly what I want. I book my own flights so I am not on an aircraft with propellers and parachutes and people with chickens in wicker baskets sitting next to me-no offense to any chickens reading the board.

Cunard's ships are pure eye-candy but they have many poor reviews too. If you are British then you are all too familiar with the expression "it's more than my job's worth mate". Even on their sea trials someone on the bridge "pushed the wrong button" and they were unable to hit their maximum speed on the glorious QM2.

Carnival (parent company) owns half the cruise lines most of us would travel on so they have to have been doing something right. I personally don't get the warm fuzzies looking at their ships nor the old Joe Farcus decor on most of them but credit where it is due. I am not interested in party ships or parties on land for that matter. I want to relax when at sea. Forced jollity I shun like a rabid dog.

I doubt if their food is really bad. I had two cruises with them so long ago (24 years) that it cannot be held as a measure of what they serve today and it was what I would call "decent cruise ship food"....and plenty of it. 24 years have passed...

On Princess I pretty much clean my plate- I have no shame in picking it up and licking it or licking the plate of a passenger at a nearby table. Is it 5 star cuisine?-no it is not, but it's great that they can achieve what they do and feed over 3,000 people at a couple of sittings. At a wedding for 250 guests last week I was served "banquet food" and it was not of the calibre of a Princess MDR meal, rest assured.

We are all spoiled for choices in cruising-so many ships, too little time. Reviews from cruisers are a god-send to the modern traveler in the age of CC. Beyondships.com can let you see the ship before booking. The many boards I surf on CC can give you all sorts of insights into what to expect. It didn't used to be like that, say I , who started cruising in 1985 with RCCL.

It is notable that Rick's favorite cruise was on Crystal who didn't get a name check in the OP's post. They have many stellar reviews yet are low on the radar for most. Maybe Rick can tell us why it remains his favorite?

If you are on a cruise ship and enjoying yourself then you are way ahead of most of the World's population. As Rick said there are a lot of factors that have to come together all at once to make it a memorable cruise. You owe it to yourself to do a lot of research before booking though. There's "work" involved and maybe some "rolling with the punches" if it's not all you hoped it would be.

One last thing- to me it doesn't matter how old the other passengers on my ship might be or whether they jog everywhere or get there in a motorized wheelchair-they've paid their fare and are probably just as passionate as I am about ships and cruising-but they are less-fortunate with their health than I am. I don't care if you are 18 or 80-you are welcome to talk to me on a ship and -of course- buy me a drink!

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

Hi All

While some say that cruise line is better than this one l expect cruise lines to be different

What l am more concerned about is value for money

If l go on a 2 star line at a cheap price and get 3 star service l am happy

If l pay many times more for 6 star luxury and only get a 4 star service l will not off had a happy cruise.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Princess & HAL:

- Inside staterooms on HAL larger than Princess.

- No fridge in Inside stateroom on HAL.

- Food quality comparable; however, availability better (24 hr. 'buffet') on Princess.

Princess & HAL:

- Inside staterooms on HAL larger than Princess.

- Food quality comparable; however, availability better (24 hr. 'buffet') on Princess.

Bill the 24 hour buffet is no more but on ships that have an I.C you can grab a bite around the clock.

Norris

We have sailed RCI, HAL, and Carnival and the best food we have had was on the Carnival Liberty. From the main dining room, the hand tossed pizza, the Blue Iguana cafe, and the premium steak house, everything was delicious. We were with friends who are very experienced cruisers and they were a little very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Carnival isn't for everyone, but their food, for us, has always been good. We are sailing on Princess in three weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Coral has to offer!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We also loved the Coral! Sailed on her through the Panama Canal. Hope you enjoy!

Princess & HAL:

Inside cabins on some HAL ships do have fridges. Every cabin on the Prinsendam, Vista Class (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam), and the Signature Class (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) have fridges. That's 7 of the current 15, almost half.

As to food availability, HAL has 24-hr room service that surpasses Princess offerings. Also, every cabin is able to order a hot room service breakfast (incl. disembarkation day) and dinner from the MDR during the hours that is open. For us, pretty much a draw with maybe HAL a hair better because of the availability of hot breakfast any day.

Princess has much better entertainment (and a better variety) as far as we're concerned.

- Rick

Well said Rick.

In modern times I have only cruised on one line-Princess-and haven't found much to complain about. After 5 cruises I am halfway to Elite status thanks to booking suites. 2 more cruises booked. So far no reason not to keep going BUT I am curious about other lines and ships so I read reviews on every mainstream/luxury line and watch endless youtube videos. The step-up for me would most likely be Oceania and Azamara at the moment....a smaller ship experience.

Re the OP's post....I would find it hard to fault a cruise line that "pushes drinks" in the case of RCI (RCCL as I now them from my history of cruising) as one of the common complaints against lines like Costa and MSC is the lack of drink service.

"Bar service!"....yeah, over here pal!! My glass shall not be empty and I'm not going to get up from this comfy lounger to go stand at a bar waving a $20 as if I am back home in the UK where you have to be related to the bar-keep to get a drink. I can say no to the "drink of the day" with a plastic umbrella and ice cubes shaped like a dolphin in a giant plastic "glass" that won't fit in my luggage and will join my room steward's collection of plastic crap-but get me a nice cold Beck's sir!

The lines rely on the take from selling drinks to make the voyage profitable so if you are thirsty accept the offer of service. Capitalism at work and I have to love that.

Somewhere in the thread I read that Seabourn are offering some 80% off deals!

I get one e mail a day from Oceania offering the same kind of thing- it's hard to find enough bodies to fill a ship when the pricing is smoke and mirrors. 2 for 1, free airfare etc. The "regular price" is just a fantasy number so that when it is 50% off it enters back into the realm of "what it is really worth for what you will get". Anyone booking a cabin on these lines at regular price needs their head examined and there's probably a spa treatment on board where that can be arranged.

I don't read much satisfaction in reviews regarding butlers and who really needs one? If there is a butler out there who will feed me coconut shrimp or stone crab

just before my afternoon nap then maybe I would want one. If he sings softly to me as I fall into a slumber then I am sailing with that line again.

With Princess I see the price of the cabin and book it. I know they have sales too but I want a specific cabin and can't wait. I am not looking for cheap- I am looking for good and exactly what I want. I book my own flights so I am not on an aircraft with propellers and parachutes and people with chickens in wicker baskets sitting next to me-no offense to any chickens reading the board.

Cunard's ships are pure eye-candy but they have many poor reviews too. If you are British then you are all too familiar with the expression "it's more than my job's worth mate". Even on their sea trials someone on the bridge "pushed the wrong button" and they were unable to hit their maximum speed on the glorious QM2.

Carnival (parent company) owns half the cruise lines most of us would travel on so they have to have been doing something right. I personally don't get the warm fuzzies looking at their ships nor the old Joe Farcus decor on most of them but credit where it is due. I am not interested in party ships or parties on land for that matter. I want to relax when at sea. Forced jollity I shun like a rabid dog.

I doubt if their food is really bad. I had two cruises with them so long ago (24 years) that it cannot be held as a measure of what they serve today and it was what I would call "decent cruise ship food"....and plenty of it. 24 years have passed...

On Princess I pretty much clean my plate- I have no shame in picking it up and licking it or licking the plate of a passenger at a nearby table. Is it 5 star cuisine?-no it is not, but it's great that they can achieve what they do and feed over 3,000 people at a couple of sittings. At a wedding for 250 guests last week I was served "banquet food" and it was not of the calibre of a Princess MDR meal, rest assured.

We are all spoiled for choices in cruising-so many ships, too little time. Reviews from cruisers are a god-send to the modern traveler in the age of CC. Beyondships.com can let you see the ship before booking. The many boards I surf on CC can give you all sorts of insights into what to expect. It didn't used to be like that, say I , who started cruising in 1985 with RCCL.

It is notable that Rick's favorite cruise was on Crystal who didn't get a name check in the OP's post. They have many stellar reviews yet are low on the radar for most. Maybe Rick can tell us why it remains his favorite?

If you are on a cruise ship and enjoying yourself then you are way ahead of most of the World's population. As Rick said there are a lot of factors that have to come together all at once to make it a memorable cruise. You owe it to yourself to do a lot of research before booking though. There's "work" involved and maybe some "rolling with the punches" if it's not all you hoped it would be.

One last thing- to me it doesn't matter how old the other passengers on my ship might be or whether they jog everywhere or get there in a motorized wheelchair-they've paid their fare and are probably just as passionate as I am about ships and cruising-but they are less-fortunate with their health than I am. I don't care if you are 18 or 80-you are welcome to talk to me on a ship and -of course- buy me a drink!

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

I normally hate quoting long posts, but these 2 should be mandatory reading for all CC members. Great attitude and outlook on life and cruising in general. I think that I would enjoy cruising with both of these posters. And if I ever do I'll buy you that drink Norris ( you too Rick ).

I agree with Shogun dinner companions re: food on Cunard. IMHO I found Cunard in both the MDR and buffer to not be as good as my Princess cruises (unless your travelling in Princess or Queens Grill of course). Also, unless your travelling in Princess or Queens grill, I find Cunards pricing to be comparable with some of your other cruise line's listed.

I've seen the term "nursing home at sea" applied to a few cruise lines throughout the thread. In my experience, Cunard is a good fit for this title (the average demographic, not absolute of course). However the 2 areas where Cunard out shines all the others is 1. - The Canyon Ranch Day spa on the QM2 would have to be the best day spa at sea. and 2. The afternoon tea experience would also have to be the best experienced on a cruise line (thus far).

(I agree Celebrity is a must to add to your list of comparisons also. Hope you get to try them all out..)

Edited by Lanwood

We've spent 48 nights on HAL and 28 on Princess. I'd give HAL a very slight lead due to things like being able to get MDR food delivered to any stateroom, larger inside cabins (we normally do insides), DVD player in rooms (handy for the kids), New York Times and UK news summary delivered each morning + free internet access to NYT web site, better food (though slightly worse deserts - soufflé on Princess can't be beat), great happy hour drink deals (second drink for $1 and occasionally $15 drinks with free refills all night), slightly happier staff and very marginally more personal kids clubs (less kids), unlimited laundry per cabin for very reasonable prices...

Princess has better entertainment in the evenings especially if you like MUTS but main theatre stuff is very similar.

We pick cruises now based on price and itinerary and the loyalty perks don't seem to be worth it to us if it means sticking with only one or two lines. Elite laundry on Princess would be nice but its not worth it if it means sticking just with Princess.

Cruised on Carnival many times and the food is great. It is known as a party boat but I never experienced anything outrageous on cruises over 5 days. The 3-4 day cruises out of Los Angeles can get loud - hence the 'booze-cruise' moniker. Beds are really comfy too!

Cruised on Carnival many times and the food is great. It is known as a party boat but I never experienced anything outrageous on cruises over 5 days. The 3-4 day cruises out of Los Angeles can get loud - hence the 'booze-cruise' moniker. Beds are really comfy too!

True about the beds.