Eden Rock diving centre

theverro

Hello!

Thinking of doing 7 miles beach for a few hours, and then doing a U-turn and heading to the Eden Rock diving centre for the rest of our time in GC. We (me, DD 14 and DS 11) would be renting the snorkeling equipment there, it's 14 bucks according to their website. So.. can anyone provide some general feedback on this place and the snorkeling there. Is it more a place for experienced snorkelers? (which we are not..) For those who have done it, is it an easy process to rent the equipment? How far a walk from the port area to here?

Any feedback would be muchly appreciated! Thanks!

renting is quick and easy

it is 5 maybe 10 min walk from the tender landing areas

it is NOT a good learning spot IMO. You will not be able to stand up once in the water ... period ... you will be in deeper water than that. Anyplace that MIGHT be shallow enuf to stand would be on the top of the coral and standing is a non no. If you don't need to stand to be comfortable then it is great ... but if a VERY NOVICE snork'lr then maybe not . .

Here's the worst case - one of your kids gets a mouthful of water and begins to panic ... will YOU be able to help?

Edited by Capt_BJ

The current is fairly strong there, so wear a lifejacket

UMMMMMM

having probably close to 100 hours diving time between Eden and Sunset areas I'd say that current is VERY unusual

so when you experienced current the weather must have been MOST uncommon. One of the reasons Cayman has been such a great dive destination for YEARS is the lack of current. In Coz' the currents are strong and can change direction in a flash . . . in Cayman, ANY current is unusual .. but I HAVE experienced some in the spring . . . . NOTHING like what you'll see daily in Coz'

(based on MANY trips to Sunset House ... several trips to Coz on 'my ships' ... and 20 years of cruise visits to BOTH)

AND

as a life long life guard . . .

a 'life jacket' is a life saving device and is NOT designed to facilitate snorkeling by one who is otherwise unable/qualified . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

UMMMMMM

having probably close to 100 hours diving time between Eden and Sunset areas I'd say that current is VERY unusual

AND

as a life long life guard . . .

a 'life jacket' is a life saving device and is NOT designed to facilitate snorkeling by one who is otherwise unable/qualified . . .

Well, both of the last two times we were there, DH had to tow an exhausted cruise-shipper into shore, and the time before that it was a friend who was with us that had to be towed in, so my advice on life jackets (aka snorkel vest, if you're going to be picky about terminology) stands. We've snorkelled there at various times each year, and the current has been much stronger than we get at our beach house in Rum Point or the various reefs DH snorkels/dives regularly (we're on island at least 4-6 times per year every year) so whether it's weaker or stronger than other places you've snorkelled is IMO irrelevant. The current is stronger than an out-of-shape or inexperienced swimmer can handle for long, especially since the water's too deep to stand, and the life jacket/snorkel vest will keep them afloat long enough to get their wind back or long enough for another member of their party to tow them back to shore.

I would much rather have people be safe than sorry, and discover they're fine without the life jacket or snorkel vest than discover they're not and need one but not have it...

Edited by bookbabe

To add to this, DH says it's more appropriately described as "strong waves combined with deep water" rather than "strong current" so I'll stand corrected on that terminology as well...but he agrees it's no place for a weak or inexperienced snorkeler, especially without a vest. The waves and the distance to the reef will tire you out if you're not used to that kind of swimming...

Edited by bookbabe

To add to this, DH says it's more appropriately described as "strong waves combined with deep water" rather than "strong current" so I'll stand corrected on that terminology as well...but he agrees it's no place for a weak or inexperienced snorkeler, especially without a vest. The waves and the distance to the reef will tire you out if you're not used to that kind of swimming...

AH now this I'll agree with . . . in winter and spring the wind and sea can be out of the west with some force and this causes some decent seas .... this is why ships skip visits (they can not safely land tenders) and the west side dive shops suffer.

People who follow my posts know I endorse Sunset House and mention the 'sea pool' .... well here's the safe 'sea pool' on a day there was a good swell out of the west

100_0116_zps1c354555.jpg

this is from when two divers who went out when the recommendations were DON'T ....but made it back to the sea pool (there are VERY experienced Cayman residents ... but DID piss the dive staff shop off by going in. I was working radio for them with the police/fire in case they needed boat/wetbike rescue)

100_0115_zps2050c6fe.jpg

100_0118_zps21113aa4.jpg

I digress ... while this was happening there was no 'current' but significant 'surge' as well as the high water levels at common in/out points. If you know Sunset House:

100_0113_zpsb5393207.jpg

100_0112_zpsd3faf7af.jpg

unusual most of the year ... winter and early spring?????

p.s. these pics were taken last March and the day started out GREAT and then soured .... the cruise ships you see were having one heck of a time getting all their pass' back on board.

Staying at Sunset, they had moved their boats and transported us to the south side for diving .... close to the alternate visit site for cruise ships . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Just a thought. Paradise Grill (just before Eden Rock Dive Center) also rents snorkel gear. There is a nice easy entry into the water and plenty of sandy/coral free shallow water to get your feet wet so to speak. We are experienced snorkelers an swam close to shore for the first hour or so (which would be very easy for a beginner) then headed out to Eden Rock for the afternoon (which I would not recommend for a beginner). So you can easily snorkel around close to shore in shallow water right at Paradise Grill. Just another option.

Just a thought. Paradise Grill (just before Eden Rock Dive Center) also rents snorkel gear. There is a nice easy entry into the water and plenty of sandy/coral free shallow water to get your feet wet so to speak. We are experienced snorkelers an swam close to shore for the first hour or so (which would be very easy for a beginner) then headed out to Eden Rock for the afternoon (which I would not recommend for a beginner). So you can easily snorkel around close to shore in shallow water right at Paradise Grill. Just another option.

Thanks for the great feedback!! I did see some stuff and Paradise Grill, but could not find a site which indicated if they rented gear or not. This might be a perfect option for us! Do you remember what their prices are?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great feedback!! I did see some stuff and Paradise Grill, but could not find a site which indicated if they rented gear or not. This might be a perfect option for us! Do you remember what their prices are?

Thanks again!

We had our own, but I think it was pretty inexpensive. $5 for a locker (which really isn't needed if you buy some food or drink, they will give you a table on their covered patio. I'm thinking the snorkel gear was about $10.

They also feed the tarpon right there and THAT was cool swimming with those huge harmless fish! They are usually right at the shore where you enter into the water. It's just a short walk from the docks.

• 2 weeks later...
renting is quick and easy

it is 5 maybe 10 min walk from the tender landing areas

it is NOT a good learning spot IMO. You will not be able to stand up once in the water ... period ... you will be in deeper water than that. Anyplace that MIGHT be shallow enuf to stand would be on the top of the coral and standing is a non no. If you don't need to stand to be comfortable then it is great ... but if a VERY NOVICE snork'lr then maybe not . .

Here's the worst case - one of your kids gets a mouthful of water and begins to panic ... will YOU be able to help?

Plus, when we dove there, the reef was pretty much dead, nothing but barracuda and some tarpin. and you have to swim to get out and back to the dive center...I was exhausted by the time we got back and not much to see.

you will need to swim out a couple of hundred yard to see the 'good stuff'

with fins and a snorkel this isn't usually a BIG deal but this serves as a word to others.

This is not a JUMP IN, SEE FISH, CLIMB OUT site .....

this is snorkeling in your big boy pants . . . on a GOOD FLAT day. If there is a swell, then you'd better be experienced cuz there ain't no special snorkel that's gonna keep the water from commin' in!

Edited by Capt_BJ