Anyone refuse to tip on a cruise?

Is it really any different that prepaying on an airline for luggage you will take when said luggage has not been moved yet?

And when did cruising becoming normal? It still is pretty much a high end luxury that only a few people have the luxury of doing. There are some different customs that come with cruising that you do not see in the "normal" world. And on 13 cruises (with 4 more booked), I have never had to prepay my tips, ever, so it really is more like the normal world in the tipping aspect. Now if someone wishes to prepay, by all means, they should feel free to do so. I would just rather not.......not because I expect any difference in service but just because i prefer to hold onto my hard earned cash for as long as I can.

It's a high end luxury? Not from what I've seen!

It took me a while to dive into the cruise scene. I wanted to do other things, and then we decided to wait until all our boys were a bit older, so we didn't take our first cruise until 2011, but I hardly consider some of the lines high end luxury lines.

Sure maybe a Transatlantic is one thing, but when you can book a year in advance, and take that year to pay it off, it's becoming more and more popular and more accessible for most people.

I don't disagree with this, however, I personally see a tip as something given for good service. That's just how I see it. Therefore I expect good service and then give a tip. It's seen as optional, to me.

The problem lies in the different models used by different countries to pay the workers. In the US, there is a segment of the population that relies on and expects tips because the employees pay them a lower salary because the position they work in tips are expected. So in this case, tipping is not really optional and you are screwing the employee over by applying the thought process from your country here. I lived in England for 2 years and I learned very quickly that it was the responsibility of me, the visitor, to learn and respect the culture and way of life of a different country than to expect the country to learn and respect my views on life. I don't disagree, if you receive horrible service, lower your tip accordingly (and as an FYI, the worst tip is to leave 1 penny......that shows you didn't forget to leave a tip but you thought they were wretched.......luckily I've only had to do that once).

Edited by Out to sea!

FWIW, they may have done that. Most residential internet service uses a dynamic IP service, not static, fixed IP. Redcard did disappear for a number of weeks/months, maybe his IP address just changed a couple days ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

All it takes is to unplug your cable modem for a week, plug it back in and voila, you have a new IP address.

The real key is poor terminology.

If they just stopped calling it a tip and referred to it as a service charge, they could rid themselves of these messes. However, it was explained to me that in some countries, they would then be required to quote this price as their real price. I'm not sure which countries, but this has been quoted as the reason it is still called a tip.

Quite a while ago, NCL changed to the term DSC (Daily Service Charge). You still get the same people treating it like a tip. Whether you call it a tip or a service charge doesn't really matter........it will only change when you make said tip/service charge non-refundable. As long as cheapskates have the ability to remove it, they will do so no matter what it is called.

All it takes is to unplug your cable modem for a week, plug it back in and voila, you have a new IP address.

Some people have a new one every day, and some have it for the extent of their contract. All depends on your ISP

It's a high end luxury? Not from what I've seen!

It took me a while to dive into the cruise scene. I wanted to do other things, and then we decided to wait until all our boys were a bit older, so we didn't take our first cruise until 2011, but I hardly consider some of the lines high end luxury lines.

Sure maybe a Transatlantic is one thing, but when you can book a year in advance, and take that year to pay it off, it's becoming more and more popular and more accessible for most people.

Maybe where you come from, cruising is as common as going to a restaurant on a Friday evening. Here in NE Florida, that is not the case. Most people I know don't have thousands of dollars to frivolously spend on a week cruise, even if they saved up for 5 years! Therefore, even a 3 night on Carnival is considered to be a high end luxury when they have to decide between a cruise or paying the light bill.

Some people have a new one every day, and some have it for the extent of their contract. All depends on your ISP

As a ex-broadband installation tech, it depends on the refresh rate of the equipment. If you unplug the modem, eventually (using DHCP) the mainframe will assign the IP you had to another modem. With the cable company I use here in Florida, it usually takes about a week for that to happen. As you stated, some places it takes longer, other places less time.

Maybe where you come from, cruising is as common as going to a restaurant on a Friday evening. Here in NE Florida, that is not the case. Most people I know don't have thousands of dollars to frivolously spend on a week cruise, even if they saved up for 5 years! Therefore, even a 3 night on Carnival is considered to be a high end luxury when they have to decide between a cruise or paying the light bill.

And If you say so. But after three cruises, I can tell you some of the people we met on board leave a lot to be desired, so I'll stick by my statement and say that yes, I think MORE AND MORE people are turning to cruising as a way to vacation.

Did I say common? Nope, don't think I did...but hardly the high end luxury some seem to think it is, at least on some cruise lines.

Quite a while ago, NCL changed to the term DSC (Daily Service Charge). You still get the same people treating it like a tip. Whether you call it a tip or a service charge doesn't really matter........it will only change when you make said tip/service charge non-refundable. As long as cheapskates have the ability to remove it, they will do so no matter what it is called.

Yep, just include it in the advertising. But they won't do that. Because then it makes them less competitive.

The real key is poor terminology.

The cruise lines love to promote cheap fares (in all countries, not just the US), so they don't want to add these costs directly into the fare.

If they just stopped calling it a tip and referred to it as a service charge, they could rid themselves of these messes. However, it was explained to me that in some countries, they would then be required to quote this price as their real price. I'm not sure which countries, but this has been quoted as the reason it is still called a tip.

As an American, this is one of my least favorite things about pricing structures in this country. I see a meal advertised as $9.99 (hate that, too! Just call it $10, but that's another rant against stupid people) but I walk out having paid taxes, a tip, etc. for that item and spent $14.00 or so.

I love whenever we go overseas that if something is 10€, I spend 10€.

One can only hope that as the US gets younger and younger (in state of mind) with these Baby Boomers slowly, but surely, ditching this mortal coil, this "OMG I HATE CHANGE BECAUSE IF IT'S DIFFERENT, THEN IT'S BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD I SAY! MAKE IT THE SAME!" attitude will start to subside.

We could all certainly (worldwide) use a little progressive* thinking.

*Could the US finally just join the world on the metric system????

Could the Brits join the rest of the world on the right-hand side of the road?

Could the Brits pick a single system of measurements?

Could the US finally drop $1 bills? (the sheer number of old people who say "they can rip it from my cold dead hands!!!" or tell you about how they will have 25lbs of change... when they only have 2 paper $1 bills on them, because in this new world without $1 bills, they will suddenly feel an urge to have $100 in singles on them at every occurrence)

Could the US drop the penny and round transactions?

Could the US drop the 2 party political system and just find a way to be nice to its citizens instead of half the country dogging the other half of the country on a programmed rotational basis based on whichever "bum" (because we all know that OTHER GUY is always a bum and YOUR candidate would've done everything correctly!) from the other side gets elected that term?

Don't fall out of your chair, great post, agree with almost everything you said.

On the down side of seeing something priced in Europe at €10, is knowing that you could probably get it for about $10 in the US.:D

Speaking as an exbrit, while they don't drive in the right hand side of the road, they are adamant that they drive on the right side of the road.

from what i understand they get a print out everyday.

I would love to see some proof of this. I have heard this numerous times on this board and Royal categorically denies it. I would just like to know because if they make that info public, what other info might also be shared?

Personally, I think everyone has the right to make their own choices. Someone who pays way over the standard rate is not a better person than someone who pays the standard tip. And neither of them are a better person than someone who takes off the gratuities and pays in person. Nor are any of them better than someone who decreases the tip because of poor service. Although I hope everyone would tip as deserved I don't see how what someone else pays affects the rest of us therefore, it is not my job or my right to judge their decisions. We are lucky enough to be able to say that we have the freedom to make those choices and that freedom came at a price so I will not take that freedom of choice away another human being. If I feel strongly that a deserving staff is being "stiffed" then I will give a little extra to compensate. Because I choose to, not so that I feel I have a right to then call someone names or tell them how to live their life. I tip very well in every restaurant I go to and I can honestly say I have never watched to make sure everyone else in the restaurant is tipping. I certainly won't be checking on people on my cruise.

Don't fall out of your chair, great post, agree with almost everything you said.

<snip>

Speaking as an exbrit, while they don't drive in the right hand side of the road, they are adamant that they drive on the right side of the road.

Well we have to keep our sword hand free to deal with the scallywags and rapscallions coming in the opposite direction - Eh what don't'cha know!;)

And If you say so. But after three cruises, I can tell you some of the people we met on board leave a lot to be desired, so I'll stick by my statement and say that yes, I think MORE AND MORE people are turning to cruising as a way to vacation.

Did I say common? Nope, don't think I did...but hardly the high end luxury some seem to think it is, at least on some cruise lines.

More and more, sure, I could agree with that. But going from 3% to 4% of the population would be more and more. Maybe 5% in the next 5 years, who knows.

I have no idea what you need to consider something "high end luxury" but when my bed is made for me, all my meals are cooked and served to me and I am taken to so many wonderful places to see, that's my definition of high end luxury. Maybe you need diamonds and pearls to be flashing by you but I certainly don't. Cruising on a balcony is about as good as it gets and that is "high end luxury" to me.

Yep, just include it in the advertising. But they won't do that. Because then it makes them less competitive.

I know that some websites make note directly on the booking page of the service charge. I am sure they are following the laws covering advertising and that is good enough for me. I take the time to read the rules and regulations and have never been hit with a charge I didn't expect. Maybe others delving into something new (because this really is only an issue for someone who has never cruised before) should take the time for due diligence before spending thousands of dollars on a vacation.

Any proof for that last statement of yours or is this another "I heard from someone" type of statement?

Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing about the preposterous minimum wage statement you had made.

This dead horse has been beaten to a pulp already with so many threads. Personally, I like the convenience of having everything paid for before I board the ship. We have always had very good service regardless of whether we had prepaid or not. I guess you can't make everybody happy, but this debate has gotten stale.

More and more, sure, I could agree with that. But going from 3% to 4% of the population would be more and more. Maybe 5% in the next 5 years, who knows.

I have no idea what you need to consider something "high end luxury" but when my bed is made for me, all my meals are cooked and served to me and I am taken to so many wonderful places to see, that's my definition of high end luxury. Maybe you need diamonds and pearls to be flashing by you but I certainly don't. Cruising on a balcony is about as good as it gets and that is "high end luxury" to me.

And perhaps I'm reading into this wrong, but I'm unsure as to why you feel the need to sound so confrontational.

It was easy to find, but according to stats I read almost 20% of the US population have taken at least ONE cruise...little higher than your 3-4% guess. Another site puts it around 24% of the US population and the stats on growth are a tad off of your projections as well-In 1995 around 5 million people worldwide had taken a cruise, in 2015 that number is expected to hit around 25 million.

As to your remarks about what I consider high end luxury-your point? IF you and I disagree about what constitutes higher end, so what? Your remark comes off as a tad disparaging, and I'm lost as to why?

No, I don't consider Carnival high end, not sure I will consider RCCL high end either, but so what?! Does that mean I will enjoy my cruise any less? Sure doesn't.

But when you compare a mainstream cruise line to something higher end like Cunard, than the differences become rather apparent, heck even Disney has got it going on in regards to certain things, and if others consider that more luxurious, there's no need for you to try and take a dig at it.

I don't mind prepay, since I'll be tipping anyway. I always give extra to the cabin steward [stewardess], waiter, and assistant waiter. The head waiter, only if he makes himself known at the table throughout the cruise. I also tip the bartenders extra when served drinks, and room service when being served.These people work very hard, and deserve the tips, which is their main source of income.

I would love to see some proof of this. I have heard this numerous times on this board and Royal categorically denies it. I would just like to know because if they make that info public, what other info might also be shared?

Personally, I think everyone has the right to make their own choices. Someone who pays way over the standard rate is not a better person than someone who pays the standard tip. And neither of them are a better person than someone who takes off the gratuities and pays in person. Nor are any of them better than someone who decreases the tip because of poor service. Although I hope everyone would tip as deserved I don't see how what someone else pays affects the rest of us therefore, it is not my job or my right to judge their decisions. We are lucky enough to be able to say that we have the freedom to make those choices and that freedom came at a price so I will not take that freedom of choice away another human being. If I feel strongly that a deserving staff is being "stiffed" then I will give a little extra to compensate. Because I choose to, not so that I feel I have a right to then call someone names or tell them how to live their life. I tip very well in every restaurant I go to and I can honestly say I have never watched to make sure everyone else in the restaurant is tipping. I certainly won't be checking on people on my cruise.

im thinking it has to be somewhat true ,how else would a staff member know how much is due to them in tips? at the very least its at the end of a cruise, however i read stories that after people have pulled the tips to tip in cash they werent treated the same that night or next day. who knows though.

I know that some websites make note directly on the booking page of the service charge. I am sure they are following the laws covering advertising and that is good enough for me. I take the time to read the rules and regulations and have never been hit with a charge I didn't expect. Maybe others delving into something new (because this really is only an issue for someone who has never cruised before) should take the time for due diligence before spending thousands of dollars on a vacation.

I've never been hit with a charge I didn't expect either. And I abide by the rules. What works for you is fine, and what works for me is fine for me too.

im thinking it has to be somewhat true ,how else would a staff member know how much is due to them in tips? at the very least its at the end of a cruise, however i read stories that after people have pulled the tips to tip in cash they werent treated the same that night or next day. who knows though.

Not true service has been good after tips were pulled.But if it did happen there would be no tips.I also don't feel the need to brag about how much we tip and to who we tip.Just to please the cheer leaders.:)

Boy they really brainwashed the guilt into you haven't they?

How dare you put the burden of these workers being paid on us!!!!

How dare you put the burden of these workers being paid on us!!!!

You do realize that even if the cruise line did away with tips, we would still bear the burden of paying the workers, right? I'm not sure where exactly you think it money will come from, other than cruise fares.